Forums / General

191,270 total conversations in 5,245 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Pokémon General

Last posted Apr 19, 2014 at 06:39PM EDT. Added Jul 08, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT
1,561 conversations with 129 participants

Leland Zevo wrote:

Pretty much, and don’t get me started on the Game Corner, particularly anything but the Japanese one, as I still loathe Voltorb Flip with a passion.

Game Freak, Y U remove the option to buy coins?!

Here’s what I read about Voltorb flip:
“The exclusion of the slot machines in European releases of Pokémon Platinum was met with wide criticism by fans. While no official word from Nintendo was given on the subject, it has later been speculated that the removal of the pseudo-gambling minigame was because of the negative stigma attached to gambling. Another reason could be that the change is because of the implementation of more aggressive and stricter legislation in the European Union towards gambling. Instead of slot machines, European Platinum players instead were given game machines , which were largely uninteractive. This met with negative feedback.
The Voltorb Flip game is likely included to provide a fun alternative to the game machines. The initial reviews of the game have been positive, with Official Nintendo Magazine stating the game is ‘awesome’.”
Oh Official Nintendo Magazine, how deluded you can be.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 05:24PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 05:22PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

I’m sorry if I hadn’t added the rest of the mods. either I don’t know them or actually seen them to make a comparison of what pokemon they might but i’ll just wait till I seem them.

Cyber6x:

Jack Candle:

Mister J:

Im guessing Jamie Dubs is Arceus.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT

404 user not found wrote:

Im guessing Jamie Dubs is Arceus.

If you kinda squint, Arceus looks like it has a Jamie Dubs beard.

Also, I personally like Voltorb Flip. I always prefer to have some kind of strategic control over the proceedings, rather than chance everything to the reels.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:36PM EDT

>playing Diamond agian
>it’s the first gym (Roark). I’m using a Chimchar, budew and a bidoff (mostly to dump HM moves off on)
>Budew kills Geodude and Onix. everything is fine until Roark’s Crainidos outruns and drops my budew and even my chimchar in one hit with headbutt
>I try agian and realize bidoff can save the day because of his Simple ablility, which would double each of his defense curls defense boosts. He also knows Rock Smash
>this time I kill geodude with budew, paralyze onix with stun spore to hopefully give him less turns to use screech and fuck everything up
>switch Bidoof in so I could use defense curl a couple times before fighting Crainidos
>heal bidoff shortly before killing onix who luckily didn’t screech, then kill Crainidos despite making bidoof flinch a couple times
>bidoof goes up nearly 3 levels and becomes my favorite team member

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 05:42PM EDT
Jul 17, 2012 at 05:40PM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

If you kinda squint, Arceus looks like it has a Jamie Dubs beard.

Also, I personally like Voltorb Flip. I always prefer to have some kind of strategic control over the proceedings, rather than chance everything to the reels.

I always hit a Voltorb, it never fails, never fails at all, and I wouldn’t hate it so much, if they left the ability to just buy the coins in. Seriously, I can’t hit anything but Voltorbs, bleh, so yeah, Voltorb Flip can go die.

As for Bidoof, the only thing I really used it for was the HM slave of that game, but then I caught two Bidoofs, one to use properly and one to be my HM Slave.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:50PM EDT

^ That feel when you find an unexpected bro, but you don’t really want it to be your bro, but you can’t deny the bro-itude. Yeah, I’m looking at you, Unfeazant.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:53PM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

^ That feel when you find an unexpected bro, but you don’t really want it to be your bro, but you can’t deny the bro-itude. Yeah, I’m looking at you, Unfeazant.

That’s actually pretty funny as I have one in my group, and the only HM I have on it is fly, one of the more useful HMs.

Got a female one though, so it doesn’t have all that fancy stuff the male Unfeazants have though.

Jul 17, 2012 at 05:58PM EDT

I know it’s not Christmas but…

Jul 18, 2012 at 05:04PM EDT

So I have a question, can a DS and a 3DS trade Pokemon between Black and White, or more specifically, can one Entralink connect with the other between the two handhelds? Mainly so I can restore my Black City and White Forest.

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 10:57PM EDT
Jul 18, 2012 at 10:57PM EDT

Leland Zevo wrote:

So I have a question, can a DS and a 3DS trade Pokemon between Black and White, or more specifically, can one Entralink connect with the other between the two handhelds? Mainly so I can restore my Black City and White Forest.

I’m pretty sure there are no restrictions for trading and connecting between different systems.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:47PM EDT

I meant to go to bed a while ago, but this song I was listening to earlier today just came to me. I’ve been listening to the version on my profile with the actual YouTube video as a round.

…To pull from my favorite generation of Pokémon:

“It’s so beautiful, it’s scary.”

Quiz (#blaine) :Who am I talking about?

(It’s pretty obscure, but it really helped to set the scene for me when I first played the game, so I remember it very well.)

Thelonious Monk would be proud (He wouldn’t, actually. Also, extra, extra, MEGA points and kramas to the music geek who gets what I’m talking about.)

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:51AM EDT

William Schnell wrote:

I’m pretty sure there are no restrictions for trading and connecting between different systems.

Ah, most excellent, cause me, complete those games within the time limit so either BC or WF are not empty?

Yeah, that’s not happening, not by a long shot, even if I did have the time to just sit around and play the Pokemons all day, but that’s good to hear that the DS and the 3DS are workable when it comes to the Entralink and such, thanks!

Also, funny thing about the Royal Unova since it was brought up in Verbose’s post.

It’s unlockable right the start, so you don’t have to beat the game in order to ride on it.
Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 01:08AM EDT
Jul 19, 2012 at 01:05AM EDT

I recently started watching the anime to see how Best Wishes is, and here’s my opinion:

At first, it reminded me a lot of the film Destiny Deoxys: So very very very very VERY VERY BORING. A lot of people always said they love Team Rocket for adding comic relief, and, well here’s what Giovanni says about them in one episode to show what they’re like: “I’m very pleased with how they are completing their missions”. They haven’t made a single joke for the whole series. They haven’t even blasted off yet. To top it off, they aren’t even in every episode, and Ash rarely sees them. The same could go for Ash, Iris and Cilan. Ash is the same as he always was, Iris can be good for comic relief sometimes, but Cilan is nowhere near as funny as Brock was. He’s got the attitude of Brock (Good Chef, Smart, good for battling tips E.T.C.), But all the funny parts have gone. The funniest character in the series is by far Bianca, as she’s like what Team Rocket used to be, and should have been. Also, the stunning lack of characters from the game is shocking. No Cheren, No N, Half the Gym leaders won’t be battled because Ash already has eight badges, and while Team Plasma are mentioned, they have yet to make an appearance (Hope they air that Rocket vs Plasma episode soon) . The anime feels too cluttered, because it is trying to follow, the Black and white storyline and the Black 2 and White 2 storylines at the same time, and fails at both. It just doesn’t know which story to focus on, which is really distracting if you’ve played the games. Overall, while it does seem like it sounds a disaster, it is not that bad, just incredibly boring for most of the time.
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:43AM EDT

That sounds appropriate. To bad it took the anime creators this long to give Team Rocket some character development and the chance to win and such…without having to be the good guys to do it.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:17PM EDT

Seems like they’re trying to go in a different direction with the new series. I’ve watched a few episodes of it, and while I can’t say it’s quality material, it’s a lot better than Diamond and Pearl which was really terrible.

I think they’ve done the Pokemon formula to death already, at least for the TV show. I mean, Game Freak can get away with it in the games, because although the basic premise is similar, the new pokemon they release totally make up for it. It completely works, and as long as they make pokemon games, I’ll keep buying them. Surprisingly, it’s always fun.

The problem is, that doesn’t translate well to a TV show. You can’ only reset Pikachu to level 1, take away all of Ash’s pokemon, make him forget everything he ever learned before, and give him new travelling partners so many times before it gets old. Viewers just aren’t immersed into experience as much as gamers are.

I’m afraid it’s too late to save the show. It seems like they’re at least trying to change things up a bit, judging from Random’s post, but it’s too little, too late.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:53PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Seems like they’re trying to go in a different direction with the new series. I’ve watched a few episodes of it, and while I can’t say it’s quality material, it’s a lot better than Diamond and Pearl which was really terrible.

I think they’ve done the Pokemon formula to death already, at least for the TV show. I mean, Game Freak can get away with it in the games, because although the basic premise is similar, the new pokemon they release totally make up for it. It completely works, and as long as they make pokemon games, I’ll keep buying them. Surprisingly, it’s always fun.

The problem is, that doesn’t translate well to a TV show. You can’ only reset Pikachu to level 1, take away all of Ash’s pokemon, make him forget everything he ever learned before, and give him new travelling partners so many times before it gets old. Viewers just aren’t immersed into experience as much as gamers are.

I’m afraid it’s too late to save the show. It seems like they’re at least trying to change things up a bit, judging from Random’s post, but it’s too little, too late.

Personally, I feel the same way, but the sad thing is, you know damn well that they’re going to keep trying, and if a Gen VI ever does get made, and you know damn well that it will giving that Pokemon, the games are still popular and that they haven’t officially made a 3DS game yet, that the TV show will go along with it.

Jul 22, 2012 at 02:20PM EDT

Well, they’re probably going to do a Gen VI after they remake Ruby and Sapphire.

And it’s not like they can’t write a good game. The secondary plot (major plot is always get all the badges, defeat the elite four, and catch ‘em all) of Black and White involving N and Team Plasma was quite well written and fascinating. No, Game Freak has the potential to do so much more, it’s just that they’re so lazy. Why change the formula at all if suckers like me keep on buying them (cough cough ACTIVISION)?

I’m really hoping the next pokemon game will get horrendous reviews and they’ll have to do something about it.

Jul 22, 2012 at 05:48PM EDT

Well, they’re probably going to do a Gen VI after they remake Ruby and Sapphire.

And it’s not like they can’t write a good game. The secondary plot (major plot is always get all the badges, defeat the elite four, and catch ‘em all) of Black and White involving N and Team Plasma was quite well written and fascinating. No, Game Freak has the potential to do so much more, it’s just that they’re so lazy. Why change the formula at all if suckers like me keep on buying them (cough cough ACTIVISION)?

I’m really hoping the next pokemon game will get horrendous reviews and they’ll have to do something about it.

That’s an if they remake Ruby and Sapphire, and if they don’t save those for Gen VI remakes, and as for a Pokemon getting bad reviews, lulz, I don’t think that’ll ever happen. They’ve been doing these games for who knows how long, and I don’t think a single one, the main game anyways has yet to get bad reviews.

Jul 22, 2012 at 06:18PM EDT

Ever since Riolu appeared on the poster for Best Wishes 2, I’ve been eager because it makes me think that it would appear in the anime again. And the fact it’s near the front may hint that it’ll be owned by one of the protagonists.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:15PM EDT

I doubt that they will make a Ruby and Sapphire remake because it would cause a time paradox in the pokemon wolrd, if you don’t know what I mean Look at the History of the Pokemon wolrd on Bulbapedia.

You can see that Gens 3 and 1 take place at the same time, and Gens 4 and 2 takes place after the Gens 3 and 1, and then Gen 5 takes place after Gen 4 and 2, and note that Gen 1 got remade on the GBA which has Gen 3, and Gen 2 got remade on the DS which has Gen 4, So unless somehow Black and White Takes place at the same time is Red and Bule it would make no sense to Remake Gen 3.

Also I’ve got a Great Idea, What if they took the Pokemon Anime and Reboot it?
Is an opportunity to make better storys for the After Gen 1 and give us a new protagonist for them, Plus it would be great to see the frist season with better animation, story, battles, is genius!
What do you guys think?

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:33AM EDT

I doubt that they won’t make one. Fire Red and Leaf Green came out after Ruby and Sapphire, Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out after Diamond and Pearl, so the next step for them is fairly obvious. Screw continuity, they’ve established a precedent.

A reboot? Not bad.

A gritty reboot? Hell yes.

They’ll never do it, because Ash is so deeply ingrained into the history of Pokemon, but maybe, just maybe.

I think a fair start would be for Ash to f*cking evolve his Pikachu already. Maybe Ash could wake up from that coma he’s in too.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 02:31AM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 02:31AM EDT

May I just makeone thing clear about the anime: They can’t follow both games storylines – With Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, to update, all they had to do was add Looker and a few others to the anime and it’s updated. Here, the two sets of games have completely different storylines, so when it tries to mix both, it feels forced. For example, first gym leader is Cilan, Cress and chili, while the last one is Roxie. Drayden and Iris don’t really know each other and neither run a gym. And it feels incredibly odd, when comparing to the game. Personally, I think they should have just followed Black And White’s storyline. However, as stated by Twins, Best Wishes is no where near as bad as Diamond and Pearl, which was just bland, predictable, and dragged on a lot. There is enough there to get me interested, and every once in a while, there is a really good episode (The underground episode, the Rocket vs Plasma when it re-airs E.T.C.). The only problem is most of it is too bland, and all the character development goes to Iris and a few side-characters. Oh, and they bring back Dawn, who I hate.

Jul 23, 2012 at 08:43AM EDT

Random 21 wrote:

May I just makeone thing clear about the anime: They can’t follow both games storylines – With Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, to update, all they had to do was add Looker and a few others to the anime and it’s updated. Here, the two sets of games have completely different storylines, so when it tries to mix both, it feels forced. For example, first gym leader is Cilan, Cress and chili, while the last one is Roxie. Drayden and Iris don’t really know each other and neither run a gym. And it feels incredibly odd, when comparing to the game. Personally, I think they should have just followed Black And White’s storyline. However, as stated by Twins, Best Wishes is no where near as bad as Diamond and Pearl, which was just bland, predictable, and dragged on a lot. There is enough there to get me interested, and every once in a while, there is a really good episode (The underground episode, the Rocket vs Plasma when it re-airs E.T.C.). The only problem is most of it is too bland, and all the character development goes to Iris and a few side-characters. Oh, and they bring back Dawn, who I hate.

They’ll always make Ash’ old companions return for a few episodes. Nostalgia and to let the viewer know how they’re doing. It’s a good excuse for a couple of episodes.

Fun fact:

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:15AM EDT

I just finished Black after my first time playing Gen V. Pretty good, and much more challenging than the other games. The pokémon designs certainly weren’t as bad as what many people say of them, or at least in my opinion. I’d say the best part was the storyline, as it went much more in-depth than the previous games. My least favorite thing was the 3D stylings. There were times that it added to the aesthetics, but went slightly over-the-top how everything was essentially seen looking down on the player at a near 45* angle.

TL;DR Black was a good game. I’d probably rank it as best in storyline and third best in pokémon designs.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:26AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

They’ll always make Ash’ old companions return for a few episodes. Nostalgia and to let the viewer know how they’re doing. It’s a good excuse for a couple of episodes.

Fun fact:

Fun fact: Just before Brock went to Hoenn, he returned to find that the gym had been taken over by his mum, who had turned it into a water type gym, despite all his siblings arguing against it. He eventually changed it back, and left his brother Forrest as gym leader.

Jul 23, 2012 at 09:42AM EDT

I doubt that they won’t make one. Fire Red and Leaf Green came out after Ruby and Sapphire, Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out after Diamond and Pearl, so the next step for them is fairly obvious. Screw continuity, they’ve established a precedent.

A reboot? Not bad.

A gritty reboot? Hell yes.

They’ll never do it, because Ash is so deeply ingrained into the history of Pokemon, but maybe, just maybe.

I think a fair start would be for Ash to f*cking evolve his Pikachu already. Maybe Ash could wake up from that coma he’s in too.

Don’t hold your breath on Ash ever evolving Pikachu. It’s unfortunately the mascot of the series, so yeah, that thing is never going to evolve.

@Random21: Lolololo, speaking of which, in the dub, they said Brock’s mom was dead. Haha, oh did that ever backfire on them when she came back for that episode.

@Wsxdas: Yeah, the designs for Gen V are not so bad, it’s just when someone goes “hurrdurr ice cream Pokemon, trash Pokemon running out of ideas hurrdurr!” that I start getting annoyed and have to point out that Gen I had a ball Pokemon and such.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 11:08AM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:01AM EDT

They obviously won’t evolve Pikachu, it’s just a nice thought.

And Gen V has some great pokemon designs, and some not so great ones. Same as any other generation. They’re not as creative, yes, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, this:

Jul 23, 2012 at 01:57PM EDT

I still don’t understand why Keldeo and Meloetta aren’t able to be used in the Dream World yet when their events have happened now.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:39AM EDT

So I’m trying to avoid spoilers, but when Gen IV came out, I was looking for music in the game before it came to North America. I’m doing the same with Gen V and the sequels.

There is one really cool change with the music, but I’ll put it in spoilers (doesn’t affect the plot any, but you’ll know who the gym leaders are (and aren’t.)) But within one, there is something resembling a budding meme (see my new avatar…and username…and profile…)

What is happening.

Stems from this.
Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 10:23PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 10:22PM EDT

I like to think each represents a different region as well.

Last edited Jul 29, 2012 at 07:20PM EDT
Jul 29, 2012 at 07:19PM EDT

Fridge Logic wrote:

I like to think each represents a different region as well.

Swap the Water one for a picture of a trumpet. Gotta represent Hoenn properly.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

So I’m trying to avoid spoilers, but when Gen IV came out, I was looking for music in the game before it came to North America. I’m doing the same with Gen V and the sequels.

There is one really cool change with the music, but I’ll put it in spoilers (doesn’t affect the plot any, but you’ll know who the gym leaders are (and aren’t.)) But within one, there is something resembling a budding meme (see my new avatar…and username…and profile…)

What is happening.

Stems from this.

D-O-G-A-R-S

DOGAS!

Last edited Jul 29, 2012 at 08:40PM EDT
Jul 29, 2012 at 08:33PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

What is happening.

Stems from this.

Alright, I’m back from vacation, and it’s time for ponies Pokémon, and this is one of the reasons. I saw that gym leader on a LP of the Japanese version and yeah, I’m still wondering how they’re going to work this for the English versions.

@Adam: Have they even released those two for the English Black/White 1? I can’t remember.

Also, I just beat White, finally. Oddly, White Forest wasn’t completly empty which was a surprise, but it’s not at full capacity, and I tell you what, Ghestis is a cheating ass with that underleveled Hydragon, so much that I had to use a Darkari to beat it.

Last edited Jul 30, 2012 at 07:39PM EDT
Jul 30, 2012 at 07:17PM EDT

Shall we discuss who’s your favorite antagonist?

Mine, personally, is Cyrus.

If you don’t get intimidate by that look, then you’re a brave man.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:01PM EDT

Owens, DJ's Assistant wrote:

I’m not sure if I should be impressed or frightened.

I’m going to go with both. Very impressive picture there, but holy crap, that is pretty damn scary.

Also, I’m going to go with Giovanni on the antagonist things. Yeah, his schemes were just to make the money off of the Pokemon, but I like Team Rocket.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:17PM EDT

I think we can also agree that human hair in pokemon universe is rising to ridiculous standards.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:21PM EDT

Drayden’s beard always bugged me. It covers his entire mouth, that is just odd, and yeah, Corless’s hair is probably the weirdest hairstyle they’ve introduced in these games.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:25PM EDT

Leland Zevo wrote:

Drayden’s beard always bugged me. It covers his entire mouth, that is just odd, and yeah, Corless’s hair is probably the weirdest hairstyle they’ve introduced in these games.

Drayden in the games didn’t bother me, but in the anime did. Don’t know why.
But anyway
>Corless
>weirdest hairstyle
COUGH COUGH COUGH

Apparently SOMEONE wasn’t around when I was obsessing over this guy’s swag
Actually, pretty much everyone in the shadow pokemon series had stupid hair

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 03:53PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 03:47PM EDT

@Sketch

Yeah, it sorta looks like somekind of accessory then an actual beard.

Also,

Colress is Albert Wesker son.

Aug 01, 2012 at 03:48PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT

Random 21 wrote:

Drayden in the games didn’t bother me, but in the anime did. Don’t know why.
But anyway
>Corless
>weirdest hairstyle
COUGH COUGH COUGH

Apparently SOMEONE wasn’t around when I was obsessing over this guy’s swag
Actually, pretty much everyone in the shadow pokemon series had stupid hair

I’d totally go homo for that swag, no homo.

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:12PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

Just listen to that theme. I like both bosses, but I definitely prefer Maxie over Archie.

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:35PM EDT

Man people’s hair in this universe is so weird. I remember when i was a kid i thought the hair most people had was SO SUGOI! but now it’s making me wonder if i had hit myself on the head with something very had when i was a child.

And what is your guy’s favorite pokemon game? My all time favorite is always going to be pokemon snap. So whats yours. And what games did you guys grow up with? I grew up with pokemon mystery dungeon, Ruby and gold, and diamond.

IF I WAS A POKEMAN I WOULD BE THE MOST PRETTY OF DEM AL:
(I:E smeargle)

Aug 01, 2012 at 09:52PM EDT

My favorite of the games would have to be PMD: Explorers of the Sky. Why? Because Riolu’s a starter!

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:10PM EDT

Alejandro wrote:

Just listen to that theme. I like both bosses, but I definitely prefer Maxie over Archie.

I think you’ll like this Tumblr page.

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:50PM EDT

Hey guys, what is your opinion on “Power Creep”. For those of you who don’t know the term, it means that the Newer Generation cards are a SHIT TON more powerful than the older. For example, the other day I bought a Dark Explorers deck, that was Dark and Psychic. In the pack was 2 Gastlys, 2 Haunters and no Gengars, so I went in to my collection and took out 1 of my 3 First Gen Gengar cards, and it was actually worse than the Haunter.
Another instance, me and my friend were Battling. I had a deck of Legendarys/3rd Evolution Starters/Overall Badass cards that I painstakingly created by searching through my Immense card collection of over 8 Binders full of cards. He was using a Black and White Beginner Deck. He beat my best cards (Rhyhorn, Vaporeon, a few others I can’t remember) with no trouble.
What are your opinions? Should they fix it so newer cards are less powerful, and can be used against older ones, or should they keep increasing the power?

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT

Greetings! You must login or signup first!