191,144 total conversations in 5,241 threads

+ New Thread

Call of Duty is Overrated

Last posted Jul 12, 2012 at 06:33PM EDT. Added Jul 10, 2012 at 01:36AM EDT
46 conversations with 33 participants

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I agree.

inb4 idiots exclaim “WTF? Can’t be him!”

But here’s one for you: Is Crysis overrated?

I still have yet to play the first game, but Crysis 2 looked pretty good in the short time I got to spend with it. So no, its not overrated. COD, however, is. Seriously, just let the franchise die already. Black Ops Two is already up for pre-order, and its awful close to MW3 being released. Something tells me they’re just going to reskin a bunch of stuff and add in a few things. Its essentially the same game in new packaging. Why people don’t just stick to MW I’ll never know.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:44AM EDT

@Tanker

I played Crysis and it’s expansion

Nice visuals, loved the gauss rifle, plus its fun grabbing people by the neck and throwing them through walls but overall a rather forgettable title. However I wouldn’t say its overrated since the only thing that was hyped about it was its graphics engine and it did deliver on that back during its release (Was it 2006? Can’t remember). In terms of gameplay, it was exactly what people expected. No excitement over that.

Crysis is dead now. Nobody plays it online and nobody fanboys over it, thus Crysis isn’t rated enough to be overrated now

As for COD, well the OP isn’t exactly making breaking news here. We’ve all been calling COD overrated since it’s inception. Hell don’t we have a meme article on how everyone calls it overrated?

In fact we can stop talking about COD now. We get it, it sucks. End of story

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:55AM EDT

There is this idiot in my class once, and he claimed that COD games is the best game in the world.
He also claimed that its better than all the games I play. He thinks that Activition didn’t make COD but Treyarch(which is a motherfucking subsidiary of Activition) did.

Jul 10, 2012 at 09:38AM EDT

Greninja wrote:

There is this idiot in my class once, and he claimed that COD games is the best game in the world.
He also claimed that its better than all the games I play. He thinks that Activition didn’t make COD but Treyarch(which is a motherfucking subsidiary of Activition) did.

It WASN’T made by Activision, though.

CoD games are developed by Treyarch and published by Activision, meaning Treyarch made the game.

(So he’s right.)

Jul 10, 2012 at 09:41AM EDT

Chris wrote:

It WASN’T made by Activision, though.

CoD games are developed by Treyarch and published by Activision, meaning Treyarch made the game.

(So he’s right.)

If you would go even more into details.

• Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was developed by Infinity Ward.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has multiple developers even, none being Ativision. Due to a legal dispute between the game’s publisher Activision and the former co-executives of Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games assisted in the development of the game, while Raven Software was brought in to make cosmetic changes to the menus of the game.
  • Call of Duty: World at War was developed by Treyarch.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops was developed by Treyarch and published by Activision.
  • Call of Duty: Devil’s Brigade was a canceled first-person shooter for the Xbox 360 which was developed by Underground Entertainment.

Not even once I’m spotting “developed by Activision” there.

Pan is correct though on Treyarch being a subsidiary of Activition. But this isnt the case with Infinity Ward, which so far has made more CoD games than Treyarch. So I’m sorry Pan, but your friend has all the right to be correct.

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 09:57AM EDT
Jul 10, 2012 at 09:54AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Tanker

I played Crysis and it’s expansion

Nice visuals, loved the gauss rifle, plus its fun grabbing people by the neck and throwing them through walls but overall a rather forgettable title. However I wouldn’t say its overrated since the only thing that was hyped about it was its graphics engine and it did deliver on that back during its release (Was it 2006? Can’t remember). In terms of gameplay, it was exactly what people expected. No excitement over that.

Crysis is dead now. Nobody plays it online and nobody fanboys over it, thus Crysis isn’t rated enough to be overrated now

As for COD, well the OP isn’t exactly making breaking news here. We’ve all been calling COD overrated since it’s inception. Hell don’t we have a meme article on how everyone calls it overrated?

In fact we can stop talking about COD now. We get it, it sucks. End of story

Crysis was when Halo and CoD had a babby that didn’t suck.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:27PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

SO BRAVE.

le me just minding my le business when le dumb casual gamer walks in

HURRF DURRF CODS IS LE BESTESTS GAME EVR

“NO YOU ARE LE DUMB LE GABEN IS LE BESSTSST LE EPISODE THREE LE LE”

le defeated casual gamer

AWWWWW LE YEEEAAAHHHH

True Story

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:40PM EDT

You don’t say?

Also, nobody can simply say that one company made CoD. Probably because it’s so popular that they need more than one developer and publisher to keep it going for so long.

It’s onto the 8th one! (soon to be 9th)

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:08PM EDT

I’ll bring this up, because it deserves to be brought up

I’m not using this to take a stab at Jim Sterling, just as a representation of critics and what they think of Call of Duty.

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:20PM EDT

Thank you for stating the obvious OP….

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:46PM EDT

I feel like this is the perfect time for me to say something that’s been on my chest.

Reggie once said “One of the things that, on one hand, I love and, on the other hand, that troubles me tremendously about not only our fanbase but about the gaming community at large is that, whenever you share information, the perspective is, ‘Thank you, but I want more.’ ‘Thank you, but give me more.’ I mean, it is insatiable.”

I think that rings true of that particular style of game.
But let me add my own part of it: If you release the same generic thing over and over with maybe one or two new things, gamers will be content and never argue.

It’s unfortunate. Games are slowly becoming like the movie industry. There was a time back when people could produce a completely new game about a guy who farts black-holes or something, and gamers would actually want that, and pay for it, etc. Now when you make a game, it gets bogged down with “this is popular, make it like this” or “it’ll never sell, it’s too artsy” crap.

Part of the reason I play a game is for it’s atmosphere. RPGs wouldn’t be very fun if they had no story and were entirely battle sequences. I don’t want to play a platformer if the characters are too dull. Stuff like that. I hope I’m not alone on that. War FPSes focus too much on immersion and not enough on distinctiveness. Team Fortress is one of the few I play, because it’s art and sense of humor make it funner than looking into a city being destroyed by terrorists.

When will both gamers and the big companies realize this? I put partial blame on the gamers, not because of their tastes… Okay, part of it is taste – a lot of gamers don’t want anything to do with anything outside of “super-serious” land. But they need to expand it to include stuff like JRPGs. Without it, Game Business will just land itself into a Hollywood-style environment.

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

I feel like this is the perfect time for me to say something that’s been on my chest.

Reggie once said “One of the things that, on one hand, I love and, on the other hand, that troubles me tremendously about not only our fanbase but about the gaming community at large is that, whenever you share information, the perspective is, ‘Thank you, but I want more.’ ‘Thank you, but give me more.’ I mean, it is insatiable.”

I think that rings true of that particular style of game.
But let me add my own part of it: If you release the same generic thing over and over with maybe one or two new things, gamers will be content and never argue.

It’s unfortunate. Games are slowly becoming like the movie industry. There was a time back when people could produce a completely new game about a guy who farts black-holes or something, and gamers would actually want that, and pay for it, etc. Now when you make a game, it gets bogged down with “this is popular, make it like this” or “it’ll never sell, it’s too artsy” crap.

Part of the reason I play a game is for it’s atmosphere. RPGs wouldn’t be very fun if they had no story and were entirely battle sequences. I don’t want to play a platformer if the characters are too dull. Stuff like that. I hope I’m not alone on that. War FPSes focus too much on immersion and not enough on distinctiveness. Team Fortress is one of the few I play, because it’s art and sense of humor make it funner than looking into a city being destroyed by terrorists.

When will both gamers and the big companies realize this? I put partial blame on the gamers, not because of their tastes… Okay, part of it is taste – a lot of gamers don’t want anything to do with anything outside of “super-serious” land. But they need to expand it to include stuff like JRPGs. Without it, Game Business will just land itself into a Hollywood-style environment.

Reggie said the exact same thing when trying to justify why Nintendo were good at E3 2012. But anyway, I can remember reading something long ago which said that the creator of Pokemon was disappointed at how popular shooting games are. I can’t remember what it said, but it’s probably the same as my opinion on them. Don’t get me wrong, there are some shooters I love, like Uncharted and Goldeneye. However, what makes them different is the fact that the games are based on warfare, and I hate games based on warfare. It may just be the over-sensitive part of me coming through now, but I don’t think the people fighting in actual wars don’t find it fun do they? And another thing, the violence in some shooters goes beyond just shooting the villains. For example, I was watching my dad play MW2 one night when I visited his house. There was one scene in which you weren’t fighting in a war, you were going through an airport shooting as many civilians as possible.

But that’s just my over-sensitive side talking
EDIT: The gaming industry continues to release shooters because they know that’s what sells. I’d blame it on the gamers, the industries want to make money. That’s the reason Nintendo shifted focus onto casual gamers for Wii and DS. When Nintendo lost their popularity, the wii and DS were already a long way in production. The hardware did not support shooters well, so they shifted their advertising campaign onto casual gamers, as they are the better market to match the hardware.

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 05:34PM EDT
Jul 10, 2012 at 05:10PM EDT

Millionaire Meow, I have come to the conclusion that I am your worst nightmare, because I choose, willingly to play only games that take themselves completely dead motherfucking serious. Cold, harsh realities, torn by warfare of one kind (World War III ) or another (Robot War ), with the people fighting usually not portrayed as “heroic” or “honorable” in the slightest.

That’s the kind of world I prefer in my games. If that’s an issue to you, so be it. But don’t expect me to change my ways just because you want something different.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:30PM EDT

Millionaire Meow, I have come to the conclusion that I am your worst nightmare, because I choose, willingly to play only games that take themselves completely dead motherfucking serious. Cold, harsh realities, torn by warfare of one kind (World War III ) or another (Robot War ), with the people fighting usually not portrayed as “heroic” or “honorable” in the slightest.

That’s the kind of world I prefer in my games. If that’s an issue to you, so be it. But don’t expect me to change my ways just because you want something different.

We don’t want to change your opinion, we just don’t agree with it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:36PM EDT

Everything on the list that OP linked is right.
A time ago CoD was fun and worth buying. But nowadays: You pay 60 dollars for the same damn game, a 2 hour campaign and a multiplayer full of kids that don’t know how to lose.

It’s really bad that such a succesfull franchise is in the hands of a company that don’t even try to make a new engine.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Everything on the list that OP linked is right.
A time ago CoD was fun and worth buying. But nowadays: You pay 60 dollars for the same damn game, a 2 hour campaign and a multiplayer full of kids that don’t know how to lose.

It’s really bad that such a succesfull franchise is in the hands of a company that don’t even try to make a new engine.

Or they don’t bother with new IPs. Activision, and Blizzard since Blizzard is partners with Activision lost my business when Bobby Kotick, back in 2009 went “Ghostbusters? Lol, we can’t milk that for all the money!”

Yeah, you don’t mess with my Ghostbusters game. Not like it made any difference since Activision is still making loads apon loads of money.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT

Okay, so my collection isn’t completely dominated by depressing hellish war zones.

Sometimes I decide to go race. But even so, I always avoid kart racers or other forms of racing that take themselves less seriously. I prefer the kind of racing game that tries to portray itself at least somewhat as a professional circuit.

Granted, I do prefer to race off road, but that doesn’t change the fact that I prefer it when the game carries itself with the feel of a professional tour or is otherwise showing itself as if it were to be taken seriously. That’s just how I roll.

Jul 10, 2012 at 08:00PM EDT

I noticed how the article said that CoD “Trivializes” what soldiers do. I finally have a phrase that explains that. The majority of modern shooters do this, and while that may be a problem for some, it’s something I somewhat enjoy from CoD.

Jul 10, 2012 at 08:50PM EDT

My gaming metamorphosis has taken me from the hellish depths of Call of Duty to the towering peaks of Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, and Metal Gear Solid. Perhaps, one day, I shall graduate to the realms of Real Life.

Wish me luck, brothers.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:53AM EDT

Okay, so my collection isn’t completely dominated by depressing hellish war zones.

Sometimes I decide to go race. But even so, I always avoid kart racers or other forms of racing that take themselves less seriously. I prefer the kind of racing game that tries to portray itself at least somewhat as a professional circuit.

Granted, I do prefer to race off road, but that doesn’t change the fact that I prefer it when the game carries itself with the feel of a professional tour or is otherwise showing itself as if it were to be taken seriously. That’s just how I roll.

I too prefer the more “hardcore” and realistic games. I used to be in to casual games, but then I found a combat flight simulator (I can’t remember the name, unfortunately),and I was instantly in love with the more serious and realistic games.

I am now a big fan of No More Room in Hell, Amnesia, Tribes: Ascend, and other similar games, as well as YSFlight and other combat flight simulators.

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:33AM EDT

I can like super serious games, but I always love to play something just outright silly, like Borderlands or Team Fortress 2.

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:40AM EDT

God I hate this series now. When the first 3 were out, it was actually decent and different. The moment though they started with Modern Warfare…it’s just been rehash after rehash. Critics don’t get it too. They just keep giving every single COD game a high score. One critic lashed out at Halo for announcing 3 games…yet proceeded to praise the living hell out of CoD.

TBH, realistic-miliatry-based-FPS games are getting oversaturated. I missed the days of the good old fun stuff…remember Doom and Half-Life, fighting demons and monsters?

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:11PM EDT

Daft Punkjet wrote:

God I hate this series now. When the first 3 were out, it was actually decent and different. The moment though they started with Modern Warfare…it’s just been rehash after rehash. Critics don’t get it too. They just keep giving every single COD game a high score. One critic lashed out at Halo for announcing 3 games…yet proceeded to praise the living hell out of CoD.

TBH, realistic-miliatry-based-FPS games are getting oversaturated. I missed the days of the good old fun stuff…remember Doom and Half-Life, fighting demons and monsters?

It kinda makes me wonder if they’re at some point going to do to CoD like they did with the Guitar Heo series and evetually drop it for being oversaturated.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT

ITT: People go off top and focus on it having annual games rather than it being overrated (Good job Nintendork).

In response to Random21’s Reddit Macro (which I personally think has a very knee-jerk reaction in tune with that of a 4year old), Mario Kart 7 actually received very good reviews generally. Both Mario Kart 7 and Modern Warfare 3 can be considered additions in franchises that didn’t change much however the backing that Jim was working on is that MK was the 7th in the franchise and MW3 was the 3rd in the Modern Warfare franchise. He actually said that he thought MW3 was the last time he thought they could get away with that formulaic structure.

Call of Duty isn’t really overrated at all, game critics do tend to review it as how good they are. Its sales are astronomical compared to similarly praised games but that doesn’t mean it’s overrated.

You may not like the franchise because of the annual games, Activision, some of the fans who take it far to seriously (which there are a lot of) but using it as as scapegoat for lack of innovation and ignoring the actual quality is just stupid.

Related to some of the posts in here:

Last edited Jul 11, 2012 at 01:24PM EDT
Jul 11, 2012 at 01:22PM EDT

I don’t expect you to change anything, actually.
I don’t want FPSes to go extinct because they’re super serious. Sometimes, the best realities are the ones closest to our own.

But I don’t want a game company to stop producing whimsical sorts of games, as well. I’m certainly not expecting Rovio, creators of Angry Birds, to release an RTS based on Medieval Europe, for example. (Though, that could be awesome depending on how they handle it.)

Just like how in the film world, there’s the Disney style movies and the gritty live action stuff.
A lot of places are cutting down on original pieces of work and focusing on sequels, remakes and adaptions. I’m expecting Studio Ghibli to go down eventually, to be honest, because people want serious, hard core science fiction, not tales of mystical wonder. That’s sad to me…

I like the idea of combining both. Make an animated film/video game with no clear-cut heroes, heavy violence and realism, but with hints of breathtaking-ness, or enchantment, so both sides could be easily entertained.

So don’t change. Just be mindful of the other side.

Jul 11, 2012 at 03:23PM EDT

Leland Zevo wrote:

It kinda makes me wonder if they’re at some point going to do to CoD like they did with the Guitar Heo series and evetually drop it for being oversaturated.

That’s what will happen…specifically the Modern Warfare brand. But I think it might take much longer for the effects to happen. Apparently, there are 2 developers for CoD, and they alternate every year. Infinity Ward does the MW series and hasn’t been doing much since MW…just adding new weapons and maps in each game. The other series “Black Ops” being worked by Treyarch on the other hand actually does add different elements and styles each time…mainly the zombie mode (apparently the only reason people play World at War). The latest Black Ops game is the first to be futuristic and stuff.

TBH, I’d rather have them drop MW and let Black Ops do the job instead.

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:06PM EDT

Cyber6x wrote:

ITT: People go off top and focus on it having annual games rather than it being overrated (Good job Nintendork).

In response to Random21’s Reddit Macro (which I personally think has a very knee-jerk reaction in tune with that of a 4year old), Mario Kart 7 actually received very good reviews generally. Both Mario Kart 7 and Modern Warfare 3 can be considered additions in franchises that didn’t change much however the backing that Jim was working on is that MK was the 7th in the franchise and MW3 was the 3rd in the Modern Warfare franchise. He actually said that he thought MW3 was the last time he thought they could get away with that formulaic structure.

Call of Duty isn’t really overrated at all, game critics do tend to review it as how good they are. Its sales are astronomical compared to similarly praised games but that doesn’t mean it’s overrated.

You may not like the franchise because of the annual games, Activision, some of the fans who take it far to seriously (which there are a lot of) but using it as as scapegoat for lack of innovation and ignoring the actual quality is just stupid.

looks at image

Ey, dat’s funny!

+1 karma

Jul 12, 2012 at 09:12AM EDT

Call Of Duty isn’t THAT overrated.
People just play it because they want to spend their time having fun.
I play it, but I don’t endlessly spam “OH MAH GAWD! COD IS TEH BEST GAEM EVAR”!

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:49AM EDT

call of duty overrated? it’s more like the most hated game franchise ever made!

it’s succeful because it’s easy to pick up and apeals to a very broad audiance

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:30PM EDT

Cyber6x wrote:

I wasn’t merely trying to karma-whore, actually, I was expecting a lot less thumbs up (none at all to be honest.) As I stated, I have nothing against Jim Sterling, nor was I trying to imply anything about Mario Kart, I just think that it is given higher scores than it is worth. The lack of innovation is not a scapegoat to me, You need to make changes to games that go beyond things like new guns. I always felt like each Call Of Duty was just a re-release of the last one, with only minor changes. The same could go for Nintendo games. Each New Super Mario Bros. game is almost identical to the last, but it will get extra marks for the sole reason that it’s Mario. I feel that the same goes for CoD. Sorry if my point didn’t come through. And if anyone is making pointless posts, it’s the people saying that it’s obvious.

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 04:48PM EDT
Jul 12, 2012 at 04:45PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!