Forums / Discussion / General

170,278 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread

Let's talk about the world!(No stereotypes allowed.)

Last posted Aug 12, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT. Added Jul 14, 2012 at 04:15PM EDT
93 posts from 26 users

burning_phoneix wrote:

I prefer Vegemite.

YOU MAD MATE?

CRIKEY

Jul 15, 2012 at 04:22PM EDT

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

I live in Alabama (inb4 dumb redneck racist) and I want to go see Luxembourg one day.

I might as well ask it.

Is Alabama a nice place to live in? Is there anything you pride yourself in the state? What kind of things do you celebrate in Alabama that you think most other states do?

Jul 15, 2012 at 05:45PM EDT

Teh Brawler wrote:

Japan.

Hopefully Hokkaido.

When I hear Hokkaido I think of their delicious crab. seriously friggin good crab.

I live in Houston Texas.
Right now it’s hot.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 05:55PM EDT
Jul 15, 2012 at 05:53PM EDT

Ragvak wrote:

I’m from Mexico… so… well… yeah.

I’m your number 1 fan.

But now taking things seriously, Is there any trends rising? Good or Bad?

Jul 15, 2012 at 05:53PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Japan seems to be well-off economically and quality-of-living-wise, but the culture and people can be soul-crushingly depressing. That’s the main reason I’m averted from going there. Have you considered Belgium?

I’d have thought it was the Tectonic activity.

Jul 15, 2012 at 06:11PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

No hotter than the other 49 states. I’m pretty sure the rest of the country is hotter than we are at the moment. When the temperature hovers around 88°F year-round, you get used to it. It’s a blessing and a curse though; since it’s always so hot, everyone starts wearing heavy winter coats whenever it gets below 69°.

pffft 88 all year round.
That’s when I wear a jacket.

Jul 15, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Japan seems to be well-off economically and quality-of-living-wise, but the culture and people can be soul-crushingly depressing. That’s the main reason I’m averted from going there. Have you considered Belgium?

the culture and people can be soul-crushingly depressing.

This from the guy who’s obsessed with Russia.

@Ann: Yes, I suppose that might be a bit of a generalization. It’s more like 90 during the day, 75 at night. I live in what used to be a subtropical swamp, so we only have two seasons: wet and dry.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT
Jul 15, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT

What a great idea! We should all just move to Japan, where we’ll completely integrate and become valued and accepted members of the community! After all, only 98.5% of people are Japanese there! That’s .05% more than Koreans in South Korea!

I agree with Russian. It’s a nice country, it really is, but it’s already hard enough for natives to conform Japan’s rigid social structure, and as a foreigner, it’s going to be even worse.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 08:39PM EDT
Jul 15, 2012 at 08:38PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

I’m your number 1 fan.

But now taking things seriously, Is there any trends rising? Good or Bad?

Mmm trends? as in what? The last big thing people were talking about was about the presidential election being a massive fraud. There are even entries about this here.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/yo-soy-132

These is the candidate who “won”
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/enrique-pe%C3%B1a-nieto

Jul 15, 2012 at 09:10PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

What a great idea! We should all just move to Japan, where we’ll completely integrate and become valued and accepted members of the community! After all, only 98.5% of people are Japanese there! That’s .05% more than Koreans in South Korea!

I agree with Russian. It’s a nice country, it really is, but it’s already hard enough for natives to conform Japan’s rigid social structure, and as a foreigner, it’s going to be even worse.

How To fit in with standard Japanese society.
Look Asian – Check for me.
Conformity- I rather be in an ambiguous group IRL anyway.
Follow customs- Check, i’m very respectful of peoples backgrounds, and traditions.

There is time for fun.
School festivals
Holidays
time off work

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:12PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

How To fit in with standard Japanese society.
Look Asian – Check for me.
Conformity- I rather be in an ambiguous group IRL anyway.
Follow customs- Check, i’m very respectful of peoples backgrounds, and traditions.

There is time for fun.
School festivals
Holidays
time off work

I don’t think it’s quite that simple.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:33PM EDT

Ragvak wrote:

Mmm trends? as in what? The last big thing people were talking about was about the presidential election being a massive fraud. There are even entries about this here.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/yo-soy-132

These is the candidate who “won”
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/enrique-pe%C3%B1a-nieto

Shit, man. Didn’t know that. Sorry, that it’s just I don’t pay a lot of attention to politics since most of the time somethings bad going. Mind giving your opinion? That is if you have one on the subject but if you don’t want to answer, it’s cool.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:27AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

I prefer Vegemite.

YOU MAD MATE?

Aww mate, bon’t be a mug

Vegemites for Jaffa’s aye? Marmites the real stuff.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:08AM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

Shit, man. Didn’t know that. Sorry, that it’s just I don’t pay a lot of attention to politics since most of the time somethings bad going. Mind giving your opinion? That is if you have one on the subject but if you don’t want to answer, it’s cool.

Well I think the "elected " president, Peña Nieto, is a complete idiot, it seems obvious to me that he is just a puppet politician, and also his party (PRI) has a long history of corruption.
I think that giving an opportunity to AMLO, candidate of the PRD was the logical next step since the other two big parties, PAN and PRI, have failed, and the other one PANAL had no real chance of winning.
AMLO and many people already denounced the fraud, and the autthorities are supposedly investigating the fraud, the only thing left to do is just wait and see what happens.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:25AM EDT

@Twins

I WISH TO KNOW MORE OF NEWFOUNDLAND!

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:29PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

@Twins

Newfoundland? It is a very nice place but most of its inhabitants are fishers and some in the north hunt seals. St. John’s has very colorful houses with some people just as colorful (I have never been to the east coast but I assume they would be nice).

Aside from St. John’s most of the towns are small fishing towns.

Due to the ocean currents, ice burgs drift by the coast.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT

I don’t know nearly enough about the rest of the world to discuss anything related to the world. I’m sorry. I’m pretty much the “Ignorant American” stereotype.

I’m guessing you all know about the USA already. I’m not really a “real world”-ly type, so I couldn’t really tell you anyway.

All I can tell you is RAIN. RAIN, ALL SUMMER. (at least, over in Rhode Island.)

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:54PM EDT

@Tim

Interesting. Does the ice berg cause any kind of bother? You know, can ships easily crash into it? Or is just there?

Aug 01, 2012 at 04:57PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

@Tim

Interesting. Does the ice berg cause any kind of bother? You know, can ships easily crash into it? Or is just there?

They do not cause any problems, you merely just have to maneuver around them. They have iceberg tours as well so they don’t really care. You just to mind that hey are there and keep a good distance away from them.

Aug 01, 2012 at 05:18PM EDT

Any kind of festivals or celebrations that happen in Newfoundland?

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 05:30PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

While I’m sure Russian Fedora can explain everything (also I am not Russian) but I’ll help him out:

That kind of condenses Russian early history for you :)

:O

DFTBA

On the topic of Japanese treatment of foreigners, I’d like to mention that I’ve been to Japan for about a 2 week stay, and I can tell you that they’re ridiculously polite, especially to foreigners. Precisely since foreigners are so rare, they’re often treated with more respect. (At least, that’s what we were told.) Everyone I met was very friendly and the culture isn’t too hard to get the hang of, so I imagine that if you could speak Japanese it would be fairly easy to assimilate.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 09:08PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 09:00PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

@Twins

Knock yourself out.

I’m super lazy right now; ask Sparty.

@above
Politeness does not equate to respect. Sure, they’ll be nice to you and all, but you’ll always be viewed as what you are: a foreigner. And that will ultimately be a great impediment to assimilation.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 09:14PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 09:08PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

the culture and people can be soul-crushingly depressing.

This from the guy who’s obsessed with Russia.

@Ann: Yes, I suppose that might be a bit of a generalization. It’s more like 90 during the day, 75 at night. I live in what used to be a subtropical swamp, so we only have two seasons: wet and dry.

Okay, Russia can be pretty depressing, but is that not more because of the weather than the culture? Additionally, take a gander at this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate (linking isn’t working for some reason). Japan has more average suicides per 100,000 people than Russia, but the two are admittedly close. Of course, comparing how many suicides per 100,000 people there are between these two countries is somewhat futile, since Japan has a much higher population than Russia. But, the fact that Japan is so high up still furthers my point about it being depressing.

Also, somewhat relatedly, what’s up with Lithuania that gives it the highest suicide ratio per year?

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 09:52PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 09:50PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Knock yourself out.

I’m super lazy right now; ask Sparty.

@above
Politeness does not equate to respect. Sure, they’ll be nice to you and all, but you’ll always be viewed as what you are: a foreigner. And that will ultimately be a great impediment to assimilation.

They bowed very deeply, and seemed respectful to me. Why would they foreigners as “outsiders,” not to be bothered with?

Aug 01, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT

Pseudogenesis wrote:

They bowed very deeply, and seemed respectful to me. Why would they foreigners as “outsiders,” not to be bothered with?

Hospitality and treating a guest well are central tenants of many cultures. But by trying to assimilate, you’re going far beyond being a “guest”

Aug 02, 2012 at 10:35AM EDT

We should ask Negi when she comes back, How was her stay in Japan.
Even tho, I would expect expect most of the cultural aspects, but the little things may surprise me.

Then she has to go back…

Aug 02, 2012 at 11:36AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I live near Portland Oregon. It’s so weird they made a TV series after it.

So do I. It does seem to have more hipsters than other cities I’ve been in.

p.s. Now I shall find where you live! AHAHAAHA!

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:03PM EDT

Anyone got videos on the history of Scotland?

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:35AM EDT

So… Germany has some cool stuff. We should get Aristo to come in here and talk about all the cool stuff in Germany.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:20AM EDT

I live in Wisconsin, that place where it’s fucking cold. I wanna go to Switzerland.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:23AM EDT

Cirno wrote:

I live in Wisconsin, that place where it’s fucking cold. I wanna go to Switzerland.

it’s the middle of the hottest summer in human history, how fucking cold can it be.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:26AM EDT

Fridge wrote:

it’s the middle of the hottest summer in human history, how fucking cold can it be.

Living in Florida has made you a bit resentful of the weather this year, eh?

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

Anyone got videos on the history of Scotland?

I don’t think so, but that’s where I’m posting this right now.

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:38AM EDT

Piano wrote:

Living in Florida has made you a bit resentful of the weather this year, eh?

No.

Global warming has made me very resentful of the weather this year.

As I’ve said before, it’s cooler here in Florida than it is in the middle of the country. We have record temperatures, Greenland has lost all of its ice, and the Philippines are underwater, and we’re just sitting here complaining about the heat.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:42AM EDT

@ American Members

What do you say if meet a British person in some form of communication like Xbox Live or PSN?

Also what is your opinion on the revolutionary war? On a scale for 1 – 10 how important did you think was?

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

No.

Global warming has made me very resentful of the weather this year.

As I’ve said before, it’s cooler here in Florida than it is in the middle of the country. We have record temperatures, Greenland has lost all of its ice, and the Philippines are underwater, and we’re just sitting here complaining about the heat.

Greenland has not lost all of its ice, and it loses and regains large proportions naturally during seasonal cycles. Climate change has made it lose more than is natural, and it’s certainly a severe problem, but don’t make exaggerations like that.

Aug 12, 2012 at 01:53PM EDT

Well I’m from Spain, ask me whatever you want to know about my country if you have any doubts ^^

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:01PM EDT

Piano wrote:

Greenland has not lost all of its ice, and it loses and regains large proportions naturally during seasonal cycles. Climate change has made it lose more than is natural, and it’s certainly a severe problem, but don’t make exaggerations like that.

Well, what I’m saying is that right now, there is no ice on Greenland. And there most definitely should be ice on Greenland. So we’re in trouble. Yes, it’s going to get the ice back in the winter, but next year the ice is going to go away even earlier than before. And it’s going to go like that until Greenland loses all of its ice forever.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!