Last posted May 05, 2013 at 09:00PM EDT. Added Jul 15, 2012 at 03:54PM EDT
203 posts from 24 users

Windigo With Salad wrote:

@Starrfish
Dj Alex S

They're pretty good too. They sound similar to the runner-up for my vote:

also, PAGE GET ACTIVATE!!!

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 11:38PM EDT

Okay, so just something out of the blue, what is your favorite artist that does not have a page on Wikipedia?

It's a tie between B Complex and Disturbia

You may have heard of B Complex before. He's the guy who made Beautiful Lies which still stands as a pretty damn good example of what Liquid DnB is supposed to be

Disturbia on the other hand is waaaay underground with his darkstep neurofunk that only freaks like myself ever listen to. He's famous only on soundcloud as far as I know. I get +1000 bonus hipster points for knowing who this guy is.

Am I allowed to just come in here and post my opinions without checking any previous topics or reading any previous posts to see if they already covered what I want to say, likely also steering the thread in a different direction?

Let’s hope so. (Avi, you oaf.)

I like electronic music. No, really? Right, I just posted in this thread to talk about how much EDM sucks! I sure got you guys, didn’t I?

But seriously. I had a little paragraph about EDM in my introductory thread post, but only now do I find that there’s an entire thread dedicated to it to elaborate more. So I suppose that’s a good thing for the most part.

As I stated there, I like a lot of ambient things. Particularly ambient house and ambient pop. I also like dark ambient too, because I like the way it sounds and the “rushing” feeling it gives me. (Ignore your instinct to make the obvious pun about drugs because I used the word “rushing”, please.)

I certainly hope I’m not the only person in this thread that likes Skweee. As I said in the introduction thread, I like chip-tunes a lot, and this genre derives from that. I think it’s pretty nifty. I’d advise that you go check it out, and might post some here in the future, if you’re interested.

By the way, on the subject of skweee, did you guys know that it has actually started to influence the sound of dubstep? The article I linked will tell you that much, but I wanted to post it here for those who weren’t going to click on it. I think that’s pretty awesome, no?

Does anybody else like electronic rock? I know I do. And while I’m on that subject briefly, yes, I would consider “Professional Griefers” electronic rock. Awesome song featuring Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance; I’d go check it out if you haven’t yet. Hopefully you won’t be disappointed.

Somebody posted Hey Ocean! Whoever you are, I like you now. I really like their stuff (and as I said in the introduction thread, believe it or not, MLP had nothing to do with it. At all. #hipsta).

I said in the introduction thread (I might as well link my post because of how many times I’ve referenced it) that I like indie stuff a lot, so I have to ask as well: have you guys heard of indietronica? It’s also referred to as indie electronic, and it combines indie, electronica, rock and pop music. Very cool sounding in my opinion, and also something to look into. Yeah, I’ll probably post videos here later (actually, I should now, but can’t be bothered to. Sorry.)

I like house music a fair amount. The following interest me: progressive house, tech house, tribal house, vocal house, and some house music that comes with a more industrial feel to it. I don’t quite know what appeals to me about it; I just like how it sounds and it makes me happy. Great reasoning, Avi! Do ya want a medal?

Garage music is also great. I feel almost as though some UK garage has some influence on dubstep, which would make sense considering dubstep is a UK sound. Which brings me to my next thing: I still prefer more “traditional” dubstep. I don’t like newer US-originated dubstep as much. It’s too “sugary” for my full enjoyment. Not that I don’t like it at all, it just doesn’t sound as nice to me.

(Once again, I refer you to my post in the introduction thread.)

I like a couple different genres with “tronica” as the suffix, by the way. I’ll be back in this thread later soon to discuss more about that kind of thing.

Last edited Nov 10, 2012 at 08:56PM EST

I hate LMFAO, they have almost single handedly set the EDM scene back a few years

that's how much I hate them,

every time they play "party rock" in the club, when it gets to the "everyday I'm shufflin" part, 90% of the people will ATTEMPT to shufffle, horrible
90% of the 90% of people don't know how to shuffle, they don't know what they're doing, they look awkward and I want to shuffle all over their face

anyways, let me show yall the next new genre that will explode bigger than dubstep

TRAAAAAP!!!!!

Last edited Dec 20, 2012 at 01:03PM EST
90% of the 90% of people don’t know how to shuffle, they don’t know what they’re doing, they look awkward and I want to shuffle all over their face

Wouldn't that be 81%?

81% of the time, ALL the time

artists coming to my city to throw it down:
wolfgang myfuckinghero gartner dec 26
long walk short dock dec 31 (saw this dude at shambhala, SO BADASS, so dirty)

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

I hate LMFAO, they have almost single handedly set the EDM scene back a few years

that's how much I hate them,

every time they play "party rock" in the club, when it gets to the "everyday I'm shufflin" part, 90% of the people will ATTEMPT to shufffle, horrible
90% of the 90% of people don't know how to shuffle, they don't know what they're doing, they look awkward and I want to shuffle all over their face

anyways, let me show yall the next new genre that will explode bigger than dubstep

TRAAAAAP!!!!!

How exactly have they set back EDM? I've been to my fair share of EDM festivals after "party rock" and I haven't noticed a drop in the quality. If anything, it's been a gateway for some friends of mine and now I have more friends who enjoy going to festivals. That's cool with me. About the people not knowing how to shuffle, even before them you had plenty sub par dancers. Lmfao just popularized the dance is all. Anyways, If you are paying attention to how other people are dancing at a club or festival, you are kinda missing the point.
The only negative thing about lmfao is that they are mainstream. Well, that's a negative if you are this guy.

The only negative thing about lmfao is that they are mainstream

I wouldn't say the only negative thing about them is that they're mainstream…
• Their songs lack EDM structure
• The emphasis on the vocals is too heavy
• Their tracks are difficult to mix
Speaking of hipsters, I went on /mu/ and started an electronic music thread, and there was a metric-fuckton of hipsters there. Everyone wanted to only discuss Microhouse, Techstep and Skwee.
Relevant to Microhouse, looked up some stuff by Akufen, and I like it:

(Skip to around 1:15 to get to the good part)

Last edited Dec 21, 2012 at 12:22AM EST

@starfish
Fair enough, those are some legitimate points, though I can't say they affect me.

Anyways, its pretty far off, but is anyone going to EDC In las Vegas next year? It would be kinda neat I guess to meet up if only to say what's up.

Last edited Dec 21, 2012 at 01:17AM EST

Dac wrote:

@starfish
Fair enough, those are some legitimate points, though I can't say they affect me.

Anyways, its pretty far off, but is anyone going to EDC In las Vegas next year? It would be kinda neat I guess to meet up if only to say what's up.

I don't have enough money to go

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Starfish

Add onto that:

• Delusions of grandeur over how they look when wearing nothing but tight budgie smugglers

Budgie smugglers? Could you be anymore kiwi?

hardwell- spaceman was a good song until some faggot top 40 RnB singer ruined it

I'm not too fond of big-room house, but here's one of the good ones

at 1:30, those extra drum beats are sexy

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

hardwell- spaceman was a good song until some faggot top 40 RnB singer ruined it

I'm not too fond of big-room house, but here's one of the good ones

at 1:30, those extra drum beats are sexy

Just listen to the original then. No one's forcing you to listen to the lyricized version.
Also, this may be slowpoke on my behalf, but I got to listening to Toulouse:

Apparently Nicky Romero is Legion.

@starrfish

but the radio forces me to listen to it :(

…well I don't listen to the radio, but when I go to places (usually stores) where they blast radio shit, I am forced to listen to it since I don't have an mp3 player :'(

also, JASON DERULO RUINED "SHOW ME LOVE" …what an assface

Saw NIcky Romero on halloween, dude is sick

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

@starrfish

but the radio forces me to listen to it :(

…well I don't listen to the radio, but when I go to places (usually stores) where they blast radio shit, I am forced to listen to it since I don't have an mp3 player :'(

also, JASON DERULO RUINED "SHOW ME LOVE" …what an assface

Saw NIcky Romero on halloween, dude is sick

You heard an electronic musician on public radio? I envy you.

@ starr

yeah…but its top 40 shit that sounds clean…the hardest electro song they play is hardwell's spaceman, obviously

they'll never play nicky romero, or dirtyloud, or figure (obviously), or mat the alien (obviously)

like….lets look at it in a simpler way

they'll play deadmau5 – the veldt
but not deadmau5 – word problems….and word problems is a much more badass song,….imo (imo?)

they'll play wolfgang gartner's forever ft william
but not wolfgang gartner's/mark knight's conscindo…..get my drift?

I should start my own radio show, people will sing praises because it's time for top 40 to be brought to its knees

Posting to break Myconix's domination of this thread.

I want to post in this thread more but the lack of clubbing I have been doing lately has been stifling any new discoveries for me (Maybe I would be clubbing more if they played music like the stuff you guys post but noooooo). We need more people to get into EDM and get this thread moving again

Only music development recently: I made an account on Beatport just so I could buy a whole album of Dose. Music like that deserves to be purchased legally

Last edited Feb 08, 2013 at 12:19AM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Posting to break Myconix's domination of this thread.

I want to post in this thread more but the lack of clubbing I have been doing lately has been stifling any new discoveries for me (Maybe I would be clubbing more if they played music like the stuff you guys post but noooooo). We need more people to get into EDM and get this thread moving again

Only music development recently: I made an account on Beatport just so I could buy a whole album of Dose. Music like that deserves to be purchased legally

Oh, thank god, someone posted.
By the way, while you're on Beatport, you should get Mau5hax and some of the other free tracks that I'm sure exist.

Myconix wrote:

IT BEGINS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For all of the weird and obscure stuff I listen to, Daft Punk will never cease to be my favorite group. THIS IS EXCITING

@Myconix

Nice buildup, powerful beat, deep bass, clear drums, distinct pattern, not filled with childish gimmicky noises, suitable amount of variation.

Not too bad. Doesn't seem hard to see why its dominating a top spot.

From what I have gathered so far, it will be called Random Access Memories, it has 13 tracks, Its planned release date in the US is 21st May, and it can be pre-ordered on iTunes here.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!