Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Gravity Falls General

Last posted Jul 16, 2015 at 01:01PM EDT. Added Jul 15, 2012 at 10:12PM EDT
667 posts from 75 users

I know there are people on these threads that like this cartoon, so why not have a general!?

General plot: Two siblings by the name of Dipper and Mabel Pines are sent to their Great Uncle/Grunkle Stan's tourist trap (The Mystery Shack) in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Everything seems fine and dull in the town until Dipper stumbles upon a mysterious book. That's when weird things start to happen…

If you're new and can't find the first episode, I'll post it up here. I'll warn ya, the episode was recorded with the commercials intact, so it be best to skip those parts:

I honestly like the show. But there is one correlation that keeps popping up in my head between one of the characters and a fast food restaurant mascot. Both has the same name as well.

I really like the show I honestly do, for some reason the intro keep making me think I was gonna watch a movie of some sort. I guess that's cell shading for yeah.

Unrelated:

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 10:19PM EDT

I watched 5 episodes so far, this show is QUALITY, from the writing to the voice acting to the humor.
AND it has something that MLP can NEVER have: an Intro song that's not cringe-worthy.
Thanks again for the tip Ric.

Best Character:

Disney has had a history of poor animation ventures; most of its cartoon shows have been based off its film properties (Timon and Pumba, The Emperor's New School, etc.) and although some have been enjoyable, especially the ones from the 90s, the general quality of its shows, especially the original ones, has decreased in the last decade. Luckily, that trend seems to have been bucked by the likes of Phineas and Ferb and this show, which seems to be doing exceedingly well. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm interested, I haven't really watched Disney in years.

I just watched the first three episodes and HOLY CATS IN A CRUMPUT THAT WAS MODERATELY NIFTY. 10/10 would watch in a box with a fox. Also, Scare-o-dactyls up in this joint.

First episode finished, and…

That was great. It was funny, and the animation was really well done, especially the golf cart scenes. Since we can't have a thread about an animated TV show without comparing it to MLP, I'll say this: if the animation in season 3 of MLP is consistently as good as the first few snippets have been, it'll edge Gravity Falls out as my personal preference in terms of animation quality, although Gravity Falls had those really good scenes with the 3-D cart that MLP has never even come close to matching. The humor, however, is completely different, and shouldn't be held against each other. Different target demographics (more or less) means different humor, plain and simple. It's like comparing Spongebob to something on Adult Swim; there's no point.

So have art.

Someone tell me what episode had Slender Man, should that rumor happen to be true. Also, would it ruin the narrative were I to skip a few episodes just to see a meme reference that may or may not just be a hoax?

Edit @Slenderman, below

Figured as much. Oh well.

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 01:41AM EDT

I watched it last night and it was SO AWESOME.

WHEN IS IT ON AGAIN!?

And oh yeah by the way GRAPPLING HOOK!

Last edited Jul 17, 2012 at 10:03AM EDT

Seriously, thank you for making this thread. If it weren't for you guys, I never would've figured out to check this show, and would've missed all the awesomeness. Since I live here in the middle of nowhere, I have absolutely no idea what's going on across the puddle.

Definitely one of the funniest cartoons I've come across so far, and I'm definitely going to try and keep up with it in the future. This also made me want to draw some fanart, which is weird, since I didn't get the same feels while watching The Legend of Korra, even though it was awesome too.

I feel like such an idiot for dissing american cartoons, and being heavily biased in favor of anime 'til my early twenties. Nowdays, I even seem to prefer american animation over anime (even if it's just by a little).

Not bad, not bad at all. I'm glad that children's channels decided to stop putting out crap like Fanboy and Chum Chum and Johnny Test.

This looks quite promising. The animation is great, the concept is refreshing, the writing is quality, the humour is well-done but not overdone, and the Soos levels are over 9000. I feel like the attempt to start a fandom is a bit forced, but who knows. It's awesome enough to have one.

I've always said that American animation was in a decline, but with shows like this, My Little Pony, Adventure Time, Korra, Phineas and Ferb, and Dan Vs. out there today, I think I've been proven wrong. Good job, all you people that brought back the industry.

Oh, gosh. That Mabel gif…

*dead*

@Twins

I think the people who grew up on Cartoon Cartoons and Nick Toons in their respective ages of glory are now starting to be in a position where they can write for, animate, and voice such cartoons. There was probably a gap where kids grew up on cartoons just before that, so maybe they didn't have the same inspiration (or they had a different taste in humor and light-hearted fun.)

But if such shows continue to be successful, then maybe there will be a bit of a animation renaissance.

I just now watched the first episode after i got bored and watched this 5th episode and this show looks pretty good. The humor is great just like the animation (Except for the lack of shading not that i can do any better though.) and the characters are quirky and awkward just how i like em.

I can't wait to watch the others.

TIL Mable is voiced by this lady:

Kristen Schaal, Comedian and Daily Show Correspondent. You might have seen her on the most recent season of 30 Rock. Anyway, she's awesome, and probably one of the reasons you love this show so much. Carry on!

@ the episode the inconveniencing
Holy fuck that was dark! Disney! What the hell?!?

Murdering you isn't just good, it's grrrrrr-eat!

Silly kids, youre gonna die!

I'm coo-coo for killing you! Coo-coo for killing you!!!

Muumi wrote:

Seriously, thank you for making this thread. If it weren't for you guys, I never would've figured out to check this show, and would've missed all the awesomeness. Since I live here in the middle of nowhere, I have absolutely no idea what's going on across the puddle.

Definitely one of the funniest cartoons I've come across so far, and I'm definitely going to try and keep up with it in the future. This also made me want to draw some fanart, which is weird, since I didn't get the same feels while watching The Legend of Korra, even though it was awesome too.

I feel like such an idiot for dissing american cartoons, and being heavily biased in favor of anime 'til my early twenties. Nowdays, I even seem to prefer american animation over anime (even if it's just by a little).

*Starts chanting* art….art….art…Art….Art…ART……ART…….ART…..ART…… ART ….. ART …… ART

But seriously Muumi, I read your journal post on DevArt, so I know you're not going to make FA for one of my fave shows LoK, but you graced the Pony General with many art-pieces ( I posted the last one there in your stead, since you are either too lazy or done with that place).
So how about some art for this thread, hm?

TL;DR POST IT HERE FIRST
Also it better have Mabel or Gruncle Stan in it.

WHY IS SHE SO AWESOME?

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 10:49AM EDT

The fact he had the kids help him counterfeit money made me laugh.

#Thug Life
Especially when the police came.
Grunkle Stan is the Mr. Crabs of the show. (inb4youdon'tsay)

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 12:59PM EDT

>Disney Channel show
>Makes a joke about a Sascrotch
And solllllllllllllllllld. Right there.

Now where do I find more of this…

Heavy Weapons wrote:

They're in our T.v stations now? Damn..

i just think they put it there to get people talking it wouldn't be the first time someone did this

Last edited Jul 18, 2012 at 07:09PM EDT

Memelord wrote:

i just think they put it there to get people talking it wouldn't be the first time someone did this

Please Thor odinson, use punctuation! Granted, it's not bad on this post, but when you type up a couple paragraphs worth, it's kinda confusing.

At first, I had my doubts about this show until I watched it.
It was REALLY good! I couldn't take my eyes off it! Finally, Disney comes up with a show worth my time…. Here, have a Mabel gif.

Robert "Rob" Renzetti is an American animator and director who created the animated television series My Life as a Teenage Robot, story edited the first two seasons of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and is currently supervising producer of the animated television series Gravity Falls.

So that's why we like the show…

Actually, I do think that it might have something to do with it, even though they are two different shows. I know that name (recognition, not recall) from many places outside of these two shows, so the guy's just good, more than likely.

Again, I think it might just be that the people in animation who grew up and enjoyed the cartoons we liked when we were younger are now getting into position to direct and otherwise head up the shows that are now being produced.

Related to that, I just finished the second episode. Nice change of pace to my regular pony routine.

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 12:15AM EDT

I love this show so much. My favorite character is either Gruncle Stan or Seuss (I forget how to spell his name). I've seen about 3 episodes so far, and it's rocketing to the top as one of my favorite shows.

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 12:27AM EDT

Everyone's favorite pony artist Megasweet is now drawing Mabel r34! Wait, did I say favorite? I mean most hated. That guy has some serious issues. I will never accept lolis, ever. ( ok, I doubt he is the most hated)

Anyways, @sparty the spaceship

I think they may still have some episodes on YouTube. If not, you can support the show and buy it on iTunes or watch it on animeflavor.com

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 02:44PM EDT

GODDAMMIT MEGASWEET
ugh

Anyways, I watched the first couple episodes. It's not bad at all, and I even laughed out loud at a couple parts. I should watch more sometime.
Also I would have way too much fun in a giant hamster ball.

Verbose wrote:

Robert "Rob" Renzetti is an American animator and director who created the animated television series My Life as a Teenage Robot, story edited the first two seasons of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and is currently supervising producer of the animated television series Gravity Falls.

So that's why we like the show…

Actually, I do think that it might have something to do with it, even though they are two different shows. I know that name (recognition, not recall) from many places outside of these two shows, so the guy's just good, more than likely.

Again, I think it might just be that the people in animation who grew up and enjoyed the cartoons we liked when we were younger are now getting into position to direct and otherwise head up the shows that are now being produced.

Related to that, I just finished the second episode. Nice change of pace to my regular pony routine.

That's funny, because Wikipedia says (but don't quote me on this, because it is Wikipedia…)

Gravity Falls is an American animated television series created by Alex Hirsch. (former writer for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Fish Hooks)

I was confused when I read that. Flapjack was too "funny face" oriented, and Fish Hooks just looks… sad.

I guess the good counteracts the bad?

Also, does anyone know where I could watch the 4th episode?

Dac wrote:

Everyone's favorite pony artist Megasweet is now drawing Mabel r34! Wait, did I say favorite? I mean most hated. That guy has some serious issues. I will never accept lolis, ever. ( ok, I doubt he is the most hated)

I think they may still have some episodes on YouTube. If not, you can support the show and buy it on iTunes or watch it on animeflavor.com

>mfw

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 03:13PM EDT

Cite wrote:

GODDAMMIT MEGASWEET
ugh

Anyways, I watched the first couple episodes. It's not bad at all, and I even laughed out loud at a couple parts. I should watch more sometime.
Also I would have way too much fun in a giant hamster ball.

I used to try to look past his bullshit because he is a really talented artist, but he crossed the line with his lolli shit and now I say fuck him. I would love to punch his pedoass in the gut. But enough ranting over that moron.

Anyways, I just watched the 6th episode and I can now say that it is up there with legend of korra for my favorite cartoons. It's so funny to me. I've actually laughed out loud many times watching this show. I love it. I know that it's not real( the slender man pic), but I would love it if they had a slender man episode. I don't think it's too far fetched to think they would. They have batboy, possession, and sascrotch. Slender man obviously the logical next step!

For those asking where you could find the episodes, listen up
You can ethier go to Animeflavor.com
or you could get them on iTunes to support the show.

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 04:14PM EDT

Dac wrote:

well when i compare it to this it dons't seen all that bad

O HAI! You must login or signup first!