Forums / Discussion / General

169,626 total conversations in 5,528 threads

+ New Thread

Being Nice General (srs biz)

Last posted Jul 21, 2012 at 01:55AM EDT. Added Jul 20, 2012 at 11:51PM EDT
15 posts from 12 users

Hey everyone,

the past few weeks I’ve noticed more and more users ganging up on users that they feel like are acting sub-par. No one is better than anyone else no matter how long you’ve been posting here, how old you are, whether or not you like ponies, etc. I think everyone needs a refresher on rule #6:

Be friendly. We want our site to be welcoming place for both old and new users. Please keep your comments and posts constructive and considerate in tone. If you observe a user breaking a rule, try advising the user in the right direction instead of posting insults or harsh criticisms. If the user persists, contact a forum moderator.

There is absolutely NO reason to personally attack another user on the site for whatever reason. If someone’s giving you a problem, contact a mod.

There’s no reason to attack a new user for being new or trying to connect with the community and not being sure if they are doing it right. The same goes for new users, there’s no reason to try to start something when everything is fine.

There is also no reason to run another user off the site and I am incredibly disappointed that this may have happened.

tldr EVERYONE STOP BEING DICKS TO EACH OTHER

AND I GOT YOU THIS KITTEN

EDIT FOR BROKEN KITTEN LINK

Last edited Jul 20, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT
Jul 20, 2012 at 11:51PM EDT

I want to make it clear I am not calling anyone out. This is a general statement

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:55PM EDT

Thank you for making this, Amanda.

Last edited Jul 20, 2012 at 11:58PM EDT
Jul 20, 2012 at 11:57PM EDT

Also don’t try to use or abuse the mods. I’m noticing that lately more and more users are requesting or even demanding bans. And not because that user is a spammer or massively violating the rules, as those are legit reasons, but simply for minor violations or just because he is disliked by the requester. You people don’t have any authority in this, so don’t act like you do. You can come to us if you need help or want to report something, but you don’t control how we take care of it.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 12:03AM EDT
Jul 20, 2012 at 11:57PM EDT

Well hopefully now that we have gotten to the point where one of our admins had to step in, people will attempt to take a bit more heed to this rule. This may be the internet, where people come to blow off steam and have fun, but as was stated in the op: No matter what, there is no reason to be foul towards anyone. If you have a problem with a thread or user, don’t bump the thread with angry posts, don’t spam their wall with nasty messages. Always contact a mod or admin. For those who don’t know, irc almost always has a mod available, and if you don’t like irc, or you can’t access it, just send a PM and be patient.
Thanks, have a nice day.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:58PM EDT

amanda b. wrote:

I want to make it clear I am not calling anyone out. This is a general statement

Yes you are. You’re talking about me. I know it.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:06AM EDT

Nobody is pointing fingers at anybody (that would be counter intuitive of this thread since accusations are not nice). So anyway lets get on topic:

Today was a nice day. We had nice weather which was good. That means we could get my front porch repaired today, it had some pretty bad water damage. The new porch flooring is treated this time so that’s nice

Also I got a nice new website installed which is nice. Still working on it though but when I get it finished it will be a nice demonstration of my nice design and coding skills to future employers. How nice is that?

Overall. Everything is just nice and I feel nice. How about you guys?

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:12AM EDT

Okay everyone. I wanted to tell you all that I have been being a really huge dick to one new user in particular (whose name I will not disclose, but Amanda knows who it is and we worked it out.) Now I’m not sure that he/she will read this, but I want him/her to know that I am sorry for harassing him/her and want to start over again.

• I want to apologize to Amanda for taking her time in the IRC.
  • I am sorry for the nasty way I posted on your thread(s).
  • I am sorry for hurting your feelings in the IRC.
  • But most of all, I apologize for being mean in general, and I hope you can accept my apology.

And so if you read this (this is for everyone): don’t be a dick. Be nice to people and they’ll be nice to you in return. If they aren’t, then you might have a problem. But if there’s no reason -- you just don’t like them -- don’t bother. It’ll save you a lot of trouble.

Your faithful student, Alejandro.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 12:14AM EDT
Jul 21, 2012 at 12:14AM EDT

I feel like we need to talk about this issue in order to resolve this issue effectively on an equal playing field like this thread. But if we are simply going to refer to the rules to resolve this conflict, then that is fine by me, but it never deals with the problem at hand. It merely keeps the problem dormant, as we hope time will erode the hate that is contained.
Edit: I would also like to say that I will no longer contact this user in question. I do admit I was a bit of a dick to him, I did not use his dialect to convey my rebuttals but it was not necessary. For that I am sorry.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 12:25AM EDT
Jul 21, 2012 at 12:18AM EDT

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:50AM EDT

Wow, thanks for this Amanda. I was planning on making a thread for the sole purpose of calling many users assholes for their recent activity in this community, but I think this thread is a better idea.

Since we’re meant to be nice I’d like to say that though many of you deserve a good smack across the head for your behavior, I still appreciate you all as users. Just remember that a person is defined by his actions.

Jul 21, 2012 at 01:27AM EDT

To be fair, I believe that the attitude of KYM (and karma points) have made rule 6 hard to follow. (But mostly karma points, obviously) Not forgetting that sometimes you just have to act stupid or rebellious (But it’s mostly about getting negged, once again, karma, lotsa karma.)

But seriously, I follow rule 6 perfectly. (Or at least I try to.)

BTW, Technically I wouldn’t regard this as nice, but if you’re going to mess around with a user who has controversial and (what appears as stupid) opinions on everything CLEARLY that makes everything better.

Wait a second, did I just accidentally the whole nice nature of the thread?

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 01:59AM EDT
Jul 21, 2012 at 01:55AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!