Forums / Discussion / General

172,912 total conversations in 5,671 threads

+ New Thread


London 2012 Olympics General

Last posted Aug 16, 2012 at 06:29AM EDT. Added Jul 27, 2012 at 12:47PM EDT
124 posts from 33 users

@crimsonlocks

Don’t worry about it, everyone derps up every now and then.

Speaking of basketball, USA won over France 98-71
Can’t say I’m Overjoyed. I mean, what else was everybody expecting to happen? France still did good though, which isn’t suprising since they have good players on the team. I wish I could have seen it. I’ll just have to watch it on the Internet later.

“My ideas for the opening ceremony were rejected. I suggested we should crash a burning Jag into Mitt Romney.”
-Jeremy Clarkson

Anyways, sports, not politics!

The US is also pretty solid at women’s gymnastics, if I remember correctly. I saw the men’s team but not the women’s.

I’ve also decided I’m going to start watching crew. Team Sarah did a pretty solid job closing the gap with England towards the end of the race in the women’s double scull. Just a shame they let them get a pretty hefty lead early on. Oh, what the hell am I talking about. I don’t know anything about crew, but it was pretty dang cool to watch.

But I have a real problem finding sports that I don’t already know the final results to.
#westcoastproblems #NBCproblems

Oh yeah, last night the male gymnastics team for China kinda sucked the big one (minus one or two members of the team) which was pretty shocking to me. I wonder how the rest of the gymnastics will go.

Last edited Jul 29, 2012 at 02:31PM EDT

I’m chatting in the IRC channel #Olympics, and one person won’t let it go that a lot of sports require a height advantage. What are your opinions on height and weight advantages? Do you think it should be regulated with requirements (minimum, maximum, weight or height has to be almost even, etc.), or do you think it’s fine the way it is?

Crimson Locks wrote:

  • Clicks link in Thor’s comment *
    “Olympic video on the internet is only available to users in the United States and U.S. Territories”

IM IN THE MOTHERFUCKING USA D:

Weird that, it works on Youtube…

Dac wrote:

Well, phelps did it. Good job phelps.

It really doesn’t matter what country you’re from, you’ve got to respect a guy with 19 Olympic medals.

But, y’know, America.

Just saw the relay now no thanks to NBC’s absymmal coverage. The whole relay team massacred the competition…it was so bad, Phelps didn’t need to swim aggressively near the end.

Still, well-deserved medal for Phelps.

Daft Punkjet wrote:

Just saw the relay now no thanks to NBC’s absymmal coverage. The whole relay team massacred the competition…it was so bad, Phelps didn’t need to swim aggressively near the end.

Still, well-deserved medal for Phelps.

During the last relay Phelps lost distance. If he was just an arm’s length ahead, he would’ve lost to that French Guy again. So I would call the relay more of a team effort than just a Phelps race. If his team didn’t give him such an advantage, France would’ve won.

But nice to see he still got gold after getting silver twice (loser!).

RandomMan wrote:

USA.

China or Brittain will most likely be first.

Lol Wat?
It’s really just between China and the USA with USA in the lead right now. I doubt they will get 20 some medals to overcome those two.

Dac wrote:

Lol Wat?
It’s really just between China and the USA with USA in the lead right now. I doubt they will get 20 some medals to overcome those two.

Never underestimate the host. We still have enough sports to go.

You also have to consider the sports they’re winning medals in. Swimming has so many events that can get you a medal, it’s not even funny. While with other sports you’re quickly stuck to 3 or less, with the events being so different that each person can only aim at one of them. Phelps might’ve gotten 8 medals last time, but I doubt a single person can get that many on cycling or horse riding.

Last edited Aug 03, 2012 at 05:10PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Never underestimate the host. We still have enough sports to go.

You also have to consider the sports they’re winning medals in. Swimming has so many events that can get you a medal, it’s not even funny. While with other sports you’re quickly stuck to 3 or less, with the events being so different that each person can only aim at one of them. Phelps might’ve gotten 8 medals last time, but I doubt a single person can get that many on cycling or horse riding.

What do you mean we? You’re Dutch.
Anyways, It certainly is possible they could surpass the USA and China, but I don’t think it will happen.
About the medals and the events.
Yes, I understand that, but medals are medals. Tough luck they couldn’t capitalize on the amount of medals in swimming. That doesn’t take away from the achievements of China and the USA and shouldn’t be an excuse for britains current lack of medals. They certainly can make it up, but Im not counting on it.

About equestrian sports, I wish they had western riding sports. But Cutting, team penning, bronco riding, steer wrestling, and bull riding dont really seem like they would ever be included. Oh well, Dressage is very nice to watch as well.

Last edited Aug 03, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT

Dac wrote:

What do you mean we? You’re Dutch.
Anyways, It certainly is possible they could surpass the USA and China, but I don’t think it will happen.
About the medals and the events.
Yes, I understand that, but medals are medals. Tough luck they couldn’t capitalize on the amount of medals in swimming. That doesn’t take away from the achievements of China and the USA and shouldn’t be an excuse for britains current lack of medals. They certainly can make it up, but Im not counting on it.

About equestrian sports, I wish they had western riding sports. But Cutting, team penning, bronco riding, steer wrestling, and bull riding dont really seem like they would ever be included. Oh well, Dressage is very nice to watch as well.

He meant we as in all of us, as in everyone watching the games.

GIANTDAD wrote:

I hate to double post but how long to the Olympics last anyway? I just now started watching them.

17.

We are on day 9.


Hey RandomMan, you now know that image you posted earlier is now completely wrong.

Can we just talk about this guy for a moment:

Oscar Pistorius, of South Africa, the first Paralympian to compete in the Olympics. He placed second in his first heat in the Men’s 400m, and I can tell you that I am personally rooting for him. What a badass.

Fridge wrote:

Can we just talk about this guy for a moment:

Oscar Pistorius, of South Africa, the first Paralympian to compete in the Olympics. He placed second in his first heat in the Men’s 400m, and I can tell you that I am personally rooting for him. What a badass.

Oscar Pistorius,a South African Olympian. A man barely alive.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world’s first bionic Olympian. Oscar Pistorius will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

The game between Honduras and Brazil was a text book example of a biased ref. it was absolutely shameful. Of course they want brazil ( a country of 200,000,000) to continue instead of honduras(8,000,000) but that doesn’t excuse such shameful tactics. Two players sent off and a penalty when Honduras got the lead a second time, for no reason really. Whatever…

Dac wrote:

The game between Honduras and Brazil was a text book example of a biased ref. it was absolutely shameful. Of course they want brazil ( a country of 200,000,000) to continue instead of honduras(8,000,000) but that doesn’t excuse such shameful tactics. Two players sent off and a penalty when Honduras got the lead a second time, for no reason really. Whatever…

I’ll have to see the videos of the incidents themselves.

I’ve been in the footy game long enough to know that 50% of all “BIASED REF” calls are actually very biased themselves.

burning_phoneix wrote:

I’ll have to see the videos of the incidents themselves.

I’ve been in the footy game long enough to know that 50% of all “BIASED REF” calls are actually very biased themselves.

You are right about that, but I stand by what I said. The penalty was iffy but I’ll let that slide. The rest was garbage though.

量子 Meme wrote:

Ennnissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

U mad, Dac?

But seriously. I’m glad we are doing well generally anyway.

USA:54
China:53
Great Shitian:29

Oh yeah, I’m fumming…

Seriously though, I’m glad the hosts are doing pretty good.

The Guardian’s Alternative Medal Tables

It’s fun to see this. Instead of just the number of medals, they also rank them based on the number of athletes the country sent, the total population, or the GDP. Which makes sense, as a country with a much larger population, who sends a lot more athletes to the Olympics, with a higher GDP, of course has a much higher chance of winning more medals than other countries.

Click what you want to rank them by in the first table for the result. USA suddenly has a really hard time keeping up.


@Dac

Told you about never underestimating the host. They’re playing in their own country, making motivation a bazillion times higher.

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 11:36PM EDT

@randomman
What are you looking at? because I see the USA and China are still way on top. Anyways, motivation didnt help their soccer team beat south Korea. Im not saying they wont do good, but im confident that the USA and China will hold the first and second spot.

Fridge wrote:

Can we just talk about this guy for a moment:

Oscar Pistorius, of South Africa, the first Paralympian to compete in the Olympics. He placed second in his first heat in the Men’s 400m, and I can tell you that I am personally rooting for him. What a badass.

:D

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@crimson:

Brazil has the US flag, Sweden has Canada’s, Canada has Brazil’s, and the US has Sweden’s.

That’s pretty awesome.

Switzerland. This is sweden

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!