Forums / Discussion / General

170,279 total conversations in 5,456 threads

+ New Thread


9GAG hated... why?

Last posted Aug 28, 2012 at 04:10AM EDT. Added Jul 28, 2012 at 11:44AM EDT
45 posts from 28 users

I will keep this as civilized as possible, but I think I know exactly why 4chan and 9gag are enemies. i guess it started with a misunderstanding. People who were new to the internet came onto 9gag and saw many “rage faces”. These new people thought that the origin of the rage faces were 9gag because it was the first time and place they saw them. Later, they started taking credit for all rage faces (The new noobs, not all of the community) and 4chan caught on. Being the origin for most all of rage faces, they obviously got peeved. They figured that EVERYONE on 9gag is the same way. What they don’t understand is that 9gag has pretty much killed off all of those retards from the site. Just the other day, someone commented tat he loved the 9gag memes, and he got slammed down by the community for being “stupid” or a “newfag”. you see, there’s nothing wrong with the website, and most of the “unfunny” pictures that people upload on 4chan or Reddit are from the vote page where they sit there with no votes. Today if you ask someone why they don’t like 9gag, they’ll say “It’s dumb. Nobody likes it.” and if you ask for an explanation, then you normally get “It copies from everyone else”. Now let me talk about the watermark. People can choose whether the watermark is posted on a picture or not to say that the picture is “Original”, but most of 9gag’s idea about original is that it hasn’t been posted on the website before. So you see, it all started with a misunderstanding from newbies.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:44AM EDT
Quote

Remember, this is just my opinion, but I figure it makes more sense than most.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:50AM EDT
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Summary of all threads involving 9gag:

I’m not “bound” for anything. I am trying to prove a long-missed and ignored point. I’m not hating on anything. I actually visit ALL of the sites mention, believe it or not. I’m basically neutral. If anyone’s hating, it’s you.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:11PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Here’s an old discussion about it.

Valid points were made there, check it out. The reason for the hate 9gag is receiving is both logical and completely pointless, with the second dominating imo.

After reading that thread, I found most of the points that I made were true. You actually had the only good answer there.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:18PM EDT
Quote

Another point here, 9gag is the only site between Reddit, 4chan, and itself to not hold any gore/porn. It’s the cleanest.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:27PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

I’m not “bound” for anything. I am trying to prove a long-missed and ignored point. I’m not hating on anything. I actually visit ALL of the sites mention, believe it or not. I’m basically neutral. If anyone’s hating, it’s you.

I never stated that I hated it, I am just saying most threads that mention 9gag ultimately leads to everyone venting their hate to it. Do not assume that I hate 9gag, as far as I am concerned if you cannot understand such a simple concept that I put forward, then I do not value your opinion.

Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 12:34PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 12:32PM EDT
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

I never stated that I hated it, I am just saying most threads that mention 9gag ultimately leads to everyone venting their hate to it. Do not assume that I hate 9gag, as far as I am concerned if you cannot understand such a simple concept that I put forward, then I do not value your opinion.

Then why post “hate train” In the assumed context of disliking 9gag? Maybe you could have been more specific. I think that the mistake I made could be made by anyone.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:36PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Then why post “hate train” In the assumed context of disliking 9gag? Maybe you could have been more specific. I think that the mistake I made could be made by anyone.

The concept of the Hype Train is simple enough, so is hopping aboard a Bandwagon, so what makes a Hate Train so different? Everyone climbs aboard and joins in for the ride, running over anything that stands in its way (opposing opinions). Finally, I will not continue this conversation because you seem to lack the knowledge of simple terminology.

Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 01:00PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 12:43PM EDT
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

The concept of the Hype Train is simple enough, so is hopping aboard a Bandwagon, so what makes a Hate Train so different? Everyone climbs aboard and joins in for the ride, running over anything that stands in its way (opposing opinions). Finally, I will not continue this conversation because you seem to lack the knowledge of simple terminology.

My mind is full of wat.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT
Quote

As a reminder to everyone, please edit your posts to include thoughts you have after publishing the previous ones as opposed to making a new one as per the forum rules (double/triple posting). Please read them if you haven’t yet.

As for 9gag getting hate, I’m of the opinion that people “hate” things because of the nature of the Internet and the nature of the population within ‘Net culture.
 
I don’t think that anyone would argue that most people within Internet Culture are pretty geeky. How did we get to be as such? Some people would say that our interests are the reason, but I would say that positive reinforcement or positive punishment often helped to tailor those interests. If you’re socially appealing and have good social skills, then people will smile at you, talk to you, invite you to events, and other preppy sorts of things. If you’re good at athletics, then people will encourage you to play sports and that will grant you some confidence within that. There are those who are simply brilliant, driven people who achieve all sorts of things while in their younger, developing years. There are those who believe that their faith overrides anything else.

Getting positive reinforcement in those teen years often shape how you’ll develop into a full adult. However, there are a lot of people who simply never liked (or, in my opinion, were never suited for) normalized and coherent social interaction, sports, activities with easily transferable skills, or do not see faith. Often times when you’re dealing with teenagers (no offense to many of you, because I’m sure you see this currently yourselves,) you’ll find that people really segregate themselves based upon these skills. In fact, you’ve probably gotten a lot of heckling and bad looks from those who do have these skills.

I think that many of us who are heavily involved with Web Culture often fall along these lines. They are angry, they hold grudges against certain things, they aren’t very good with normalized and amiable interaction…And we aren’t very mainstream.

Whether or not it’s good or bad is irrelevant here, but it does describe the population: We are often lightly affiliated with any faith, we don’t tend to like sports, we have people who do awful things on the Internet, and I’ve found that people’s self-esteem here isn’t very high. I have my own issues, and I’m on KYM for reasons that involve not being able to connect with people in this town, so I’m not pointing without pointing at myself.
 
I think that’s what people overlook even though they know it. Between 9gag and 4chan, you’re getting a lot of people who likely fall into these categories. They don’t play varsity baseball, basketball, or football. They aren’t on Student Councils. If these people are older, they likely aren’t involved in the “Adult equivalents” of these activities and they likely weren’t involved in school activities in high school. We can’t connect to the mainstream, so as per any culture, subcultures are created where we can interact with other who likely have similar attributes.
 
 
So within this subculture, like I’ve touched on, you have people who are generally on edge and generally aren’t great at interacting with most people. So when small, normally easily ignored misunderstandings occur, people raeg hard about them. They already feel pretty tied to their communities that offer a sense of community that IRL does not. They’ve created (occasionally) funny meme and people in other communities pick up on them. Heck, we document them and try to properly source them. So when another community, newbies or not, takes credit for them, those people are not only going to be upset, they’re going to be mad.

The anonymity of the Internet won’t help.

The fact that they’re on edge won’t either.

And the fact that they may be lacking social interaction skills will just create all sorts of issues.
 
 
9gag is just a particular instance of this. People hating on another Web community is nothing new. There’s just a different reason for it.

Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 01:03PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 01:01PM EDT

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Another point here, 9gag is the only site between Reddit, 4chan, and itself to not hold any gore/porn. It’s the cleanest.

You’re forgetting Cheezburger here, a site that’s still bigger than 9gag. Cheezburger has its NSFW stuff as well, but they put that in their “After Dark” section, sites that don’t even turn up on the site list. And even the After Dark section doesn’t show massive gore/porn, just NSFW stuff.

But you’re forgetting it’s the internet. Without porn, it wouldn’t be the internet as we know it. So calling a site better because it lacks those elements is incorrect. It will be saver to visit and can appeal to a younger audience, but that doesn’t automatically make the site and its community better yet.

As you said, the younger and newer audience ruined it for the rest of the site. But on the internet, this can and most likely will result in generalising. Furries and Bronies often get generalised as rampant perverts because of a small amount of fans that create porn. People often forget that far from everyone likes it. Same with Reddit and 4chan, the worse boards and subreddits create a bad reputation for the entire site. This is nothing new, it happens all the time. If you place 99 people and 1 idiot on a square, let them wear the same clothes, and give that one idiot a megaphone, the other 99 will have a hard time leaving a good impression to the passer by.


As for what Tim meant with a Hype train, people just like to jump on what is popular at that moment. If a meme is popular, people join. Same with hate, if it’s popular to bash a website (9gag in this case), others will join in. They hardly ever know why they hate it or have direct experience with it. But others hate it, so they hop in for the attention.

KYM is no different. We had various threads in the past that basically were nothing more than “CoD sux lol!”. And each time the people who said that got karma. Hell, the people who posted in that thread did nothing more than making small agreeing posts, solely for the karma. Sure they will deny that, but their posts just screamed it.

People want to be popular, be recognised. And if bashing a site helps in doing that, then people can and will drop to that level.

Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 01:33PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 01:17PM EDT
Quote

[Intentional self-advertisement] Meme Elitism [/intentional self-advertisement]

Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 01:33PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

2 mods in one post? What have I done?!?!

We have pretty active mods on the forum, this isn’t unique. We’re mods, but that doesn’t mean we don’t join in on threads created by users. We’re still humans with our own opinion.

Last edited Jul 28, 2012 at 01:35PM EDT
Jul 28, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

We have pretty active mods on the forum, this isn’t unique. We’re mods, but that doesn’t mean we don’t join in on threads created by users. We’re still humans with our own opinion.

Okay, because on most websites, mods are mysterious creatures that are rarely seen.

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:36PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Okay, because on most websites, mods are mysterious creatures that are rarely seen.

We’re not mysterious. We just suck up to the admins.

And Kalmo. No, wait. That’s just me.
 
But yeah, I don’t have much activity outside of the forums. I try to be more active with uploading images and with entries (I still owe Tomberry a little work on one,) but I’m mostly active in the same way I was when I wasn’t a mod: I lurk most of the threads, and I post enough to be considered active. Random is basically everywhere. Tomberry doesn’t post in the forums as much.

You’ll find that this is a small enough community that we can be pretty active in terms of moderation and participation. I think it makes for a more easy-going community, because you know what the mods are like and who to go to for what.


But I digress. Are you from 9gag (or are more affiliated with it than other communities)? Do you dislike the hate personally? It doesn’t have much bearing on what point you make, but it does give me an idea of where you’re coming from.

Jul 28, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT

I’ve got to jump in here because I was actually planning to start a thread on 9gag today, although with a slightly different emphasis: karma rape.

I understand that people hate 9gag, and I understand that for many of them, the hate is reasonable enough in their own eyes. Fine, nobody can stop people from that sort of thing, especially if they have some sort of reason, be it solid or flimsy.

What I’m not happy with, and what I wanted to address, was a trend I’ve been seeing around the site.

I can’t count how many times on this site lately I’ve seen a picture posted to a meme entry or a forum thread that is funny, to the point, and non-offensive, and yet receives a flood of downvotes, apparently just because it happens to have a 9gag watermark. In the Funny pictures thread, the post I linked to here has a picture that’s funny enough to warrant a positive vote or two, but instead, it gets at least four downvotes. If it’s not clear why, the rest of the page clarifies it through the posts of Jimmicus The Warlock, who not only attacks that post, but attacks many following posts by Hypercat-Z. A few pages earlier, Hypercat-Z posts what I thought was a very funny picture, and indeed, it gets a fair number of positive votes, but two posts replying to it complaining about the 9gag watermark get six times as many positive votes.

I have, of course, also seen this done to images posted to meme entries, and it’s starting to really bother me. This is the sort of thing that I’ve heard many people refer to as “high school shit”, but really, it’s behavior that I would consider immature for even junior high school students. Whatever the beef is that people have with 9gag, can’t submissions to this site here stand or fall on their own merit? If this sort of thing were being done for any other reason, it would be considered an act of hate. Imagine someone deciding, “I’m going to downvote anything submitted by a black user,” or “I’m going to downvote anything submitted by a Jewish user,” or whatever.

I don’t even know if this post will be reaching the people who are doing it, but I felt it needed to be said anyway. At the very least, if you can’t bring yourself to give praise to something because it came from 9gag, can’t you just ignore it instead of attacking?

/rant

Verbose wrote:

If these people are older, they likely aren’t involved in the “Adult equivalents” of these activities and they likely weren’t involved in school activities in high school.

Hey, I resent that! I’ll have you know that I go to comic conventions, and in high school I was an active member of the chess club!

Jul 28, 2012 at 03:51PM EDT
Quote

Personally, I don’t hate 9Gag. They have done things I don’t agree with, but it’s not that bad. I actually have a much bigger hate for 4chan, as a lot of the members are elitists in the highest sense of the word, declaring war on nearly every site that’s not theirs. However, I do understand that it is not all users, and i’m not going to act like it is (which a lot of people are doing with 9gag).

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:39PM EDT
Quote

9gag is simply hated because it’s popular, and many people feel that this popularity is undeseved.

just like furries, justin bieber, call of duty and many other things that are hated simply because it’s cool to hate it. even though it’s completly harmless and can easily be ignored.

Jul 28, 2012 at 04:47PM EDT
Quote

@Mister J:
Very interesting analogy. Even though I disagree with many of the points (for instance, I’ve got a rant about the disco era that doesn’t belong in this thread), I do see how it clarifies the issue nonetheless.

Still, I think there are a lot of flaws. All Along the Watchtower is a great song, and when I was a kid, I assumed Hendrix had written it. Later I found out that it was written by Dylan, along with a lot of other well-known songs performed by other artists. But there’s a difference between that and the way memes work.

Dylan owns the song, and anyone who performs a cover of it supposedly has to pay some amount of royalties to him. This is because it’s something he can demonstrate that he wrote, and he has certain rights over it.

Now switch to the case of memes. Here is one of my all-time favorites:

I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but it’s pretty popular; more than a quarter of the images in the Garfield parodies entry are some riff on the same theme. However, like most memes, nobody owns it and nobody collects royalties on it. Like a lot of memes, nobody seems to know who created it. I spent a great deal of time two years ago trying to trace it back to its source, only to come to a dead-end. It was probably someone on 4chan, but nobody seems to know, and I doubt anyone could prove who it was specifically. Memes are simply out there for people to use as they see fit.

Now, I understand that the main complaint is the obnoxious cluelessness of the 9gag userbase, but there is a problem with that, too. A claim that all 9gag users are clueless idiots is simply not true. It would be like saying everyone who frequents 4chan faps to CP, everyone who frequents SomethingAwful likes gore material, or everyone who is a member of KnowYourMeme rips off material from Encyclopedia Dramatica. This generalization is taking the worst members of a site, and assuming all members are like that and are incapable of ever changing.

Looking at 9gag today, I saw this, which was pretty funny:

It was put up on the site sometime on the 27th. It was not their original material, but actually originated from a deviantART account. How do I know this? Because it says so right at the top of the 9gag page that features it, along with a link to the original. The original version was made back in May, and apparently was never seen off of the site. Since going on 9gag, it has been posted to over 20 sites and has been seen by nearly 30k people on 9gag alone. What does the artist think about 9gag featuring her artwork? “Oooh, awesome! XD” was her reply, and 40 deviantART members have favorited her picture in the last two days. The picture has skyrocketed in popularity, and people know where it came from; so what’s the problem?

I think people need to lighten up on 9gag. It’s not perfect, but what site is?

Jul 29, 2012 at 04:30AM EDT
Quote

9gag is simply hated because it’s popular, and many people feel that this popularity is undeseved.
just like furries, justin bieber, call of duty and many other things that are hated simply because it’s cool to hate it. even though it’s completly harmless and can easily be ignored.

This statement got downvoted so it seems someone disagrees with it. Therefore I am going to swoop in and reinforce it with my better linguistic and reasoning skills.

I really do think that much of the defiance against 9gag re-posts is a simple matter of hating things for the sake of hating. I look at the matter from a distant observers perspective. All I see is a website where little kids post images they find on the net. Meanwhile other parts of the internet label that as the worst thing in the world and rally lynch mobs for it.

Looking at that, I can clearly see how 9gag is less appealing to older net users including myself. It’s just full of kids just re-posting images that I already find across many of my usual internet haunts so it’s not my thing. But I don’t see what’s so bad about that either because that’s all it is, nothing more

I have a younger cousin who’s about 14-15 and he uses 9gag. Every now and then he posts images from 9gag on my Facebook wall while laughing his head off. I just chuckle with the joke (and also tell him where it came from if I had seen it before). My cousin seems to be having a ton of fun on 9gag. Fair enough. If it works for him, who am I to disagree? It doesn’t make sense to me to start berating my cousin while he’s having fun, all because he linked me to a 9gag image

The most commonly voiced complaint people make with 9gag revolves around how 9gag often reposts content from around the internet with an attached watermark which gives off an impression that the content originated on 9gag when it in fact did not. This act is by no means admirable but not exactly criminal either. It happens everywhere across the internet. However many people latch onto this shortcoming and amplify how critical the offense is to the point of rage and rejection of all things 9gag related despite the fact that identical offenses happen everywhere without objection

The initial disgust is warranted, but the incrimination of 9gag and subsequent defamation of its users looks to me like the result of bored netizens looking for something to bitch about. In other words; an irrational desire to fight a common enemy.

The situation is very comparable to Nickelback, JB, Rebecca Black, Twilight and Furries. All of those things get hated upon because people board the hate train of everyone else hating them and decide they are an enemy to be opposed. You would be surprised how easy it is to do that; even rational people get caught up in hate trains too.

All it takes is a simple and basic negative (rational or not) to get the hate train rolling:

“Nickelback just make the same shit over and over”
“JB has a girly voice”
“Friday was a load of garbage”
“Twilight ruined vampires”
“I met a Furry and he was a dickwad”

If you know nothing about what’s good about those things or any reason not to hate them then you latch onto those negatives very easily and extend how critical they are to you. Furthermore, if you throw in the natural UsVsThem mentality you will even fight to defend those negative viewpoints to the point of hostility. That’s what we are seeing right now with 9gag

In the 2.5 decades I spent on this planet, I have witnessed this phenomena countless times over countless things. Believe me, 9gag is no differnt

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:23AM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

My mind is full of wat.

Tim meant that people tend to jump on a hatewagon. While some may have a legit reason to hate 9gag, most probably hate on it because others are doing it.

Last edited Aug 06, 2012 at 05:27AM EDT
Aug 06, 2012 at 05:26AM EDT
Quote

I post stuff wrote:

Tim meant that people tend to jump on a hatewagon. While some may have a legit reason to hate 9gag, most probably hate on it because others are doing it.

Gotcha!

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:19PM EDT
Quote

I just really dislike how they watermark their stuff, on principle. “Oh hey, here’s something I didn’t come up with. Time to act like I came up with it. Also I’m going to add an obnoxious watermark so everyone will THINK I did it first.”

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:37PM EDT
Quote

Lets see… things I don’t like about this website:
~The Name. I was honestly expecting some sort of shock site when I heard of it for the first time.
~The Watermark. Just read Jacks post. I am fine with small watermarks like Halolz and Cheezburger because they are small, but 9Gag’s is just huge and obnoxious. Even Deviantart’s (occasional) Watermark doesn’t annoy me that much!
~Their Ego. This is what gets me, as it’s their Ego that causes them the most shenanigans.
~Their Hate. GOD DAMMIT PEOPLE!! Your hate for this website has only caused them to gain MORE popularity! It’s just like how Justin Beiber and Twilight have been functioning. If you all would just shut up about the website it would disappear from the face of the earth! God…

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:47PM EDT
Quote

Ah Natsuru, your solution is simple and elegant, it would work perfectly if not for one thing: if the general internet public was intelligent enough to follow that plan, they wouldn’t have created the problem in the first place.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:02PM EDT
Quote

I hate their Watermark, How they overuse memes, and how they steal content.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT

OK! 9gag haters, Let’s make this a deal.
If I find 9gag stuff I will search for another source withouth the fucking watermark. If I can’t find I’ll post the stuff I have. If YOU can find another source with the goddamn watermark I will delete it. Fair enough?

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:13AM EDT
Quote

Kipp wrote:

I hate their Watermark, How they overuse memes, and how they steal content.

For the same reasons I don’t like them, and in addition, my personal experience with the 9gag community hasn’t been very smooth, and the ones I’ve interacted with just seem…well, sort of annoying. Now, I keep an open mind, and I’m not going to make a blanket statement about the entire 9gag community being annoying, but from what I’ve seen, a fair amount of them are.

Last edited Aug 15, 2012 at 09:04AM EDT
Aug 15, 2012 at 08:56AM EDT
Quote

Pseudogenesis wrote:

Facebook isn’t much better, to be honest.

I agree, facebook is the medium that many internet casuals find out about memes and this is what annoys me the most.

They don’t appear to understand what a meme means or is. Usually it’s in the case of image macros though.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:19AM EDT
Quote

“I hate 9gag cuz watermark harr harr!”

Oh boy, do I have some bad news for you. Roflbot, DIYLol, Memegenerator, Quickmeme, Senorgif, Gifsoup, others. Hell, even Cheezburger uses watermarks. Knowing that KYM is a part of Cheezburger, you indirectly hate KYM if you say you hate watermarks.

Given, 9gag’s watermark is huge compared to the examples I’m giving here. But that watermark only gets added once you copy an image from the site. As long as you’re just viewing it on 9gag, the watermark won’t appear, unlike most of the other examples I’m giving here.

As for those really annoyed: Fuck 9gag (It’s a tool to remove the watermark.)


@Brucker

I have to agree with you there. If the post even reads 0.1% 9gag, it will get massive downvotes.

A perfect example is All Right, Gentlemen!. If you read Cyber6x’ top comment, you can see he changed the 9gag images with regular ones as they got unfair downvotes.

So going back to it, I looked at the exact same image, 100% the exact same joke. Instead of now getting massive downvotes and comments reading “Hurrdurr, 9gag, downvote”, it now got upvotes. Just because it was no longer associated with 9gag.

Last edited Aug 15, 2012 at 09:22AM EDT
Aug 15, 2012 at 09:19AM EDT
Quote

Ehh…Frankly my opinions are neutral towards 9gag. People tell me they constantly steal shit from, well everywhere i guess but i who doesn’t now day’s? So my opinion is that id rather steer clear from 9gag.

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:39PM EDT

Though I don’t always agree with him, I’m going to quote my fellow 4channer “Anormulus”:

“Reddit, and more recently 9gag, often draw the hate of net users, especially 4channers, for distributing and popularizing memes that do not originate on their sites, and so do not “belong” to them.”
It’s not that the memes don’t belong to them. We let other sites like Tumblr use our shit all the time when they do it funny and in good taste. Reddit and 9gag, however, beat the horse to death and turn memes into shit. Finding out Reddit is using “LE MONKEY FACE JIMMIES” is akin to finding out that annoying 12 year old took your GBC and is playing Pokemon Gold. It’s not that you’re too selfish to let someone play your game, but you know that kid is going to delete your save file and ruin everything.

In this instant, I couldn’t agree with him more.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:58PM EDT

I used 9gag about 8 months ago but stopped going since May of this year. I couldn’t find a website that had a layout like 9gag, although it had some reposts I have seen here and there, there are some pictures from other websites that I never knew of. I have lurked in KYM for more than a year and a half and used Lolsnaps before 9gag.

People have different levels of elitism in them. Some cringe when they see a meme/rageface being overused. Some just don’t give a shit. I just can’t stand a combination of “wrong meme/rageface usage + translated + unfunny”.

I may sound like an asshole to some of you if you read on further. I have RL friends who think they are deep into the internet. They hate the 9gag youtube army, hate 4chan even though they have never been there, doesn’t know Reddit exists and use memes/ragefaces wrongly on their twitter. I will also further prove my point, but it will involve me sounding more like a douchebag. They listen to youtube artists, Sam Tsui, Tyler Ward, etc, covers of songs by “mainstream-but-not-hated” artists, Adele, Gotye, King of Leon and etc.

I am being very honest here, I have nothing against those artists. It is the circlejerk that they do on their twitter that irks me, stating how their covers are better than the original. They also stated IRL that they don’t really like Gangnam Style but can accept it, nonetheless they still talk about how the song and music video itself is retarded and continue circlejerking on twitter because they know I like the song.

How does this link back to 9gag? If you jump on the 9gag army hate bandwagon even without exploring other parts of the internet, you might probably think you are superior than everyone else. I can safely assume people who listen to “meaningful” songs, hates songs “that are retarded to them” and used 9gag before, they will probably think they are high and mighty, how well they know the internet, how stupid people are who misuse memes when they themselves didn’t do their own research and use them incorrectly themselves.

My friends type TROLOLOLOLOL which makes me cringe terribly every time I see it, that word itself is obviously forced by 9gag when it was acceptable before 2010, when people before 9gag found out about it.

If you manage to read all of the above, you might think that I am a hypocrite because of how I portrayed myself as a superior person. You can assume that if you wish. I just wanted to prove my point on how meme elitism IRL can go wrong in many ways.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:06AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!