Forums / Discussion / General

232,890 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Music General

Last posted Oct 08, 2012 at 04:44PM EDT. Added Aug 01, 2012 at 09:36AM EDT
84 posts from 43 users

This is the thread that anybody can use to share their tastes in music. There are a few rules though:

1. Don't spam Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black, or any other kinds of those musicians unless you truly like them. It's easy to tell if you're trolling.
  2. Do be friendly to the others that post in the thread.
  3. Do discuss music in a friendly way.
  4. Don't be mean or judge other peoples' tastes in music.

Have fun!

Ah, the monthly music thread…right on schedule for August.

So, shall we do the routine?

1. Fridge posts Radiohead
2. Omomon posts Gorillas
3. Cite posts Daft Punk
4. I post BSE
5. Aristo posts Goreshit
6. And Connor will post Friday regardless of your rule.

Sound like a plan?

A band I keep liking more and more is Emancipator… It's mostly instrumental, and sort've calm, but the songs are all composed very well. Speaking of calm instrumentals, I also like the composer Ólafur Arnalds…

So… Yeah. I also enjoy the Gorillaz, Fatboy Slim, Little People, and The Avalanches, among others…

Yeah, I just gathered up a shitload of Metallica. Because they fucking rock.

Last edited Sep 26, 2012 at 07:36PM EDT

For all you guys that hate Justin Bieber, have you listened to his new album? It's fairly good. His voice is maturing a lot and the R&B that's getting mixed in is working really well.

He's definitely drawing stuff from Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake on his new album. You can really see the Timberlake influence on his song Out of Town Girl

But yeah, besides Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber, I'm a fan of experimental music and hiphop.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

2. Omomon posts Gorillas
3. Cite posts Daft Punk
4. I post BSE
5. Aristo posts Goreshit

Sound like a plan?

Nair posts Metallica.

Plus the page lagging out users with slow computers.

A bit of electro is good for me:

Some trance will do too:

But for most part game music is my favorite:

(doujin)

And for some reason this one….

And this one just for fun:

Last edited Sep 26, 2012 at 07:35PM EDT

2. Omomon posts Gorillas
3. Cite posts Daft Punk
4. I post BSE
5. Aristo posts Goreshit

Sound like a plan?

I feel so special.

Anyway, I'm gonna post Beastie Boys instead. Mix things up a bit.

Also, this song has been on my mind lately:

Yes, it's Radiohead. What can I say, I'm predictable.

Quantum Meme wrote:

Nair posts Metallica.

Plus the page lagging out users with slow computers.

And Giacchino, too.

Plus some more rock.

Last edited Sep 26, 2012 at 07:36PM EDT

Jose Gonzalez has a few songs that are currently in my god tier of music. Simply incredible.

Then these two beauties:

And finally, lots of video game music, including this:

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 06:08PM EDT

Sunhammer wrote:

@American Tanker
>2012
>Posting Metallica
>Not including "Master of Puppets" or "And Justice For All"
>MFW:

Everyone knows "Master of Puppets" and "… And Justice For All". It's almost cliche to post them.

@Wiier

Is it wrong that one of the things I like most about this kind of music is watching everyone scramble to try and guess the genre? Nobody can figure it out and I find that hilarious.

The tags even include dubstep, techno, trance, dnb, drumstep, drum and base, hardstyle and Electro just for added confusion.

Just look at the range of answers:

This defiantly sounds like hip hop.

HAHAHAHA! I must disagree defiantly

this definately sounds like trance.

Close but not quite.

its dubstep

Swing and a miss. Wubs =/= dubstep

Genre: Music.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

This sounds more like electronica than dubstep.

Wait, when did electronica stop being a parent genre for all electronically derived music?

This is just dumb. Electro = techno. Progressive, dubstep, etc., IT'S ALL TECHNO!

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

….

But anyway, great electro. Love those dark, moody tones.

Pardon me for being Fridge Logic, but this song has been stuck in my head for the past hour. I forgot how much I loved this song back then. So hauntingly beautiful, yet so depressing. Not unlike the rest of Radiohead’s discography, but somehow, No Surprises stands out. If I had to pick one song to play at my funeral, this would be it.

@BSoD

This defiantly sounds like hip hop.

The reason that answer is so wrong is because it was posted by the smartass that made the song. :V

@Twins

Dammit! I saw the cover art before reading the post and the style made me think it was Xanopticon. I got excited when I thought there was another Xanopticon fan here. Now I has a sad. :(

Also, am I the only one who would like to avoid having another music thread that's just a video dump, and actually have a conversation about music in here? I was having fun with the discussion in EDM General, but it would be nice to talk about other genres as well. Unfortunately, I can't really think of a topic to kickstart a conversation. D:

The reason that answer is so wrong is because it was posted by the smartass that made the song. :V

Haha, so it is. That sneaky bastard, I totally fell for that.

There should be a new law; It is difficult, if not impossible to distinguish between parodies of Youtube comment stupidity and its genuine proponents, since they both seem equally stupid.

Also, am I the only one who would like to avoid having another music thread that’s just a video dump, and actually have a conversation about music in here?

You are not the only one. I enjoyed that discussion as well. We've had plenty of threads were we just post something we listen to, but nobody really cares enough about each others music tastes for a thread like that to stand on its own. Notice I'm not even bothering with posting music here because this thread will die tomorrow just like all the others if it doesn't serve any purpose other than that.

I'd like a chance to actually discuss the music I'm posting. I liked that we could do that for at least EMD in the EDM thread. In order for that to work though we need to get enough people together that are actually interested in the same music, only then can it be discussed. However KYM has extremely diverse music tastes…

Last edited Aug 02, 2012 at 08:03AM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Pardon me for being Fridge Logic, but this song has been stuck in my head for the past hour. I forgot how much I loved this song back then. So hauntingly beautiful, yet so depressing. Not unlike the rest of Radiohead’s discography, but somehow, No Surprises stands out. If I had to pick one song to play at my funeral, this would be it.

You are speaking my language.

Although, I probably wouldn't pick No Surprises. I'd go with this:

Much more somber and funereal, I think.

Generally Radiohead isn't played at Jewish funerals, but I think they'll make an exception if I specify it.

Just want to point out, the first song in the above post is closer to electro-house than dubstep, mostly because of the very fast tempo.

This is a song that's been on my mind lately;

Fridge wrote:

Just want to point out, the first song in the above post is closer to electro-house than dubstep, mostly because of the very fast tempo.

This is a song that's been on my mind lately;

Think that's fast, you should hear gabber:

Anyway, Dubstep is technically faster than house, it just has 2-step breakbeats. (OCD ACTIVATE)

Anyway, Dubstep is technically faster than house, it just has 2-step breakbeats. (OCD ACTIVATE)

Huh? What dubstep are you listening to?

All Dubstep I have ever heard has always been slower than House. Always. Any attempt I have seen to make Dubstep faster simply resulted in more House.

Think that’s fast, you should hear gabber:

Hmm, is that Jumpstyle or Industrial?

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 08:42PM EDT

Huh? What dubstep are you listening to?

All Dubstep I have ever heard has always been slower than House. Always. Any attempt I have seen to make Dubstep faster simply resulted in more House.

Think that’s fast, you should hear gabber:

Hmm, is that Jumpstyle or Industrial?

>"Dubstep is technically faster than house, it just has 2-step breakbeats"
>"it just has 2-step breakbeats"
>" 2-step breakbeats "
Dubstep, by BPM, is faster than house. It just has two-step breaks, so it feels like it is going half the tempo.
And no, it's gabber. gabber is gabber.

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 10:26PM EDT

A little bit of everything on my desktop, but only electro, house, electrohouse, kpop goes into my mp3 player. I like remixes of mainstream songs, provided it sounds better than the original. So, any song that has a music video with scantily clad dancing women and deep lyrics appeals to me.

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT

I've recently been absolutely captivated with The xx. I would type up a long explanation of why their R&B influenced sound, electro beats, perfectily harmonious dual vocalists, and surreal atmosphere make them so amazing, but really, I'll let the music speak for itself.
It's really hard to pick one song, since they're all so amazing, but here's one that seems like it would appeal to the general audience here:

Here's a more indie pop one if you are so inclined:

Stream their entire new album, which comes out on the 11th, here. Comes with a cool visualization too.

Last edited Sep 07, 2012 at 03:14AM EDT

Alright bitches, come get ya some culture. We're doing kickass keyboard pieces through the history of classical music.

Bach: Contrapunctus IX

Mozart: Rondo alla Turca

Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata, 3rd movement

Chopin: Winter Wind

Debussy: Arabesque 1

Rin Rin Signal makes me feel warm inside despite this gelid heart of mine.

Hartmann's Youkai Girl I could say is my most favorite song of all time, I even learned it on the piano.

Then there's Lilium, which is quite a depressing song for me. I find myself on the verge of tearing up when I listen to it. It only makes me feel even more how pitiful I am.

And when I'm feeling particularly epic, I whip out The Messenger and Pareidolia.

I don't really know what to say, but I honestly like the original over the He-Man version for What's Up?

@Fifths

Alright bitches, come get ya some culture. We’re doing kickass keyboard pieces through the history of classical music.

But…but…where's the bass drop!?

Anyway is anyone else finding that this page takes incredibly long to load? This page alone has to be sending over 50 requests to Youtube simultaneously and that's a lot of strain.

It's so much stress that Flash is crashing frequently on this page. It's ridiculous, even Firefox struggles

I recommend we just link to Youtube pages in text rather than imbed them in the page. That reduces the stress. Either that, or put your imbeds inside spoiler tags. We should do that for the next page as well so it doesn't kill Flash every time the page refreshes

Keeping on topic with music…not that anyone cares…

…but I've been listening to more Rawthang and Black Sun Empire lately, particularly their collaborations. These guys work together to create stuff that's right up my alley: Dark, sinister, alien, tense, creepy, energetic, moody, atmospheric, ambient all together with heavy bass. That's more like it.

Last edited Sep 07, 2012 at 11:59PM EDT

@Fifths

Alright bitches, come get ya some culture. We’re doing kickass keyboard pieces through the history of classical music.

But…but…where's the bass drop!?

Anyway is anyone else finding that this page takes incredibly long to load? This page alone has to be sending over 50 requests to Youtube simultaneously and that's a lot of strain.

It's so much stress that Flash is crashing frequently on this page. It's ridiculous, even Firefox struggles

I recommend we just link to Youtube pages in text rather than imbed them in the page. That reduces the stress. Either that, or put your imbeds inside spoiler tags. We should do that for the next page as well so it doesn't kill Flash every time the page refreshes

Keeping on topic with music…not that anyone cares…

…but I've been listening to more Rawthang and Black Sun Empire lately, particularly their collaborations. These guys work together to create stuff that's right up my alley: Dark, sinister, alien, tense, creepy, energetic, moody, atmospheric, ambient all together with heavy bass. That's more like it.

Bass drop? Puh-leese. The xx perfectly utilize bass, without having to resort to dropping it.

Anyways, this post is mostly filler so we can get to the next page and stop crashing everyone's flash browsers. Please do as BSOD told you, and perhaps we may be able to navigate the next page.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!