Forums / Discussion / General

168,586 total conversations in 5,401 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
:(

Last posted Aug 05, 2012 at 02:15PM EDT. Added Aug 04, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT
25 posts from 19 users

Who leaves a 15 year old in charge of timekeeping? He should feel terrible about what he did.

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT
Aug 04, 2012 at 10:38PM EDT

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

I cryed evry time.

Aug 04, 2012 at 10:55PM EDT

I don’t really blame the 15 year old for derping as teenagers do.

Instead, I question the officials who were asked to review the match and the replays after the Olympian demanded a piste. The replays would have exposed the mistake, a rematch would have been called and the kid would have been given another chance to start the clock

But after half an hour of investigating what could not have been denied as an overtime touch, the judges just said “Screw it, we cant be bothered doing this again, she loses. Next please.”. The kid has an excuse but not the judges. It’s their job to make sure every win and loss goes by the clock and if the media does a better job of noticing an overtime wins than the judges do, then someone is being incredibly incompetent.

Now there’s something to rage about.

And that’s not even touching the even bigger issue this article addressed: Why NBC didn’t cover it simply because it didn’t involve an American.

If the South Korean Olympian was an American one, can you image how differently this would have turned out?

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 11:14PM EDT
Aug 04, 2012 at 11:10PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

It just goes to show you. Americans are the most self-rightous people in the world.

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:29PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

It just goes to show you. Americans are the most self-rightous people in the world.

That’s a huge generalisation, Adam.

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:42PM EDT

This was a very sad event, and it just goes to show that even the Olympics has a few screw ups every now and again, but I feel like this belongs in the Olympics General thread, not in a thread of its own.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:12AM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Oh Adam, always with the generalizations.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:17AM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Not all Americans are like that 15 year old child Adam. Are you even American?

Anyway that’s pretty bullshit. Why the hell would they even let a 15 year old be in charge of such an event?

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:37AM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Not all Americans are like that 15 year old child Adam. Are you even American?

Anyway that’s pretty bullshit. Why the hell would they even let a 15 year old be in charge of such an event?

I’m not refering to the 15 year-old. I’m refering to the TV stations that refused to show the event because Americans weren’t involved in it.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:42AM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

I’m not refering to the 15 year-old. I’m refering to the TV stations that refused to show the event because Americans weren’t involved in it.

Refused? They werent told to talk about it and refused. Anyways, you really think America is the only country that didn’t talk about that?

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:51AM EDT

@Adam

Even then, that is not solely an “American” fault. Blame NBC for that, not Americans.

NBC is focusing on coverage of the US participants because they think it will increase their viewership with the US populace but they are alone in that thinking

@Dac

I don’t think it appeared on New Zealand news either. If it did, I missed it.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:24AM EDT

Fuck the IOC. In every way possible. They can afford 19k bottles of wine financed entirely by taxpayer’s money, yet won’t fucking hire a semifunctional member of society (eg not a 15 year old) to keep track of time? Then they go and let some German chick instead of the rightful Korean because go on when their methodology was clearly flawed? I suppose we can add racist now to the list, which I believe stood at “corrupt, inefficient, conniving and perverse bastards.”

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:33AM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Fuck the IOC. In every way possible. They can afford 19k bottles of wine financed entirely by taxpayer’s money, yet won’t fucking hire a semifunctional member of society (eg not a 15 year old) to keep track of time? Then they go and let some German chick instead of the rightful Korean because go on when their methodology was clearly flawed? I suppose we can add racist now to the list, which I believe stood at “corrupt, inefficient, conniving and perverse bastards.”

I don’t think it’s a race thing as much as it is that the IOC is simply incapable of reason. They think that strict adherence to the rules is always for the best. Shoot, they wouldn’t even let Larissa Latynina present Michael Phelps with the medal that broke her record. The man’s the most decorated Olympian in history, and the woman whose record he broke was there to see it and was cool enough to ask to give him the medal. But the IOC shut her down, too. Basically, the IOC is too uptight for its own good. While sticking to your standards is important at that high of a caliber of competition, it’s good to leave a bit of room for reasoning.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:18AM EDT

I’m a very fair person and I say that wasn’t fair at all.

But wait, you already knew that.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:42AM EDT

Piano wrote:

That’s a huge generalisation, Adam.

Well what do you expect? He’s an American!

Aug 05, 2012 at 05:23AM EDT

I would’ve loved to watch fencing. I also would’ve loved to watch the tribute to the London terrorist bombing victims that happened during the opening ceremony. Unfortunately, NBC believes an interview between Ryan Seacrest and Michael Phelps, who must be the two most overexposed men on Earth, is more important than honoring the dead, or at least it thinks America does.

No one cares about how these athletes train, or their “strategy.” Why are you asking a swimmer about stategy anyway? It’s a race. You either swim faster than the next guy, or you don’t. When NBC could’ve been showing this fantastic fencing match, they were most likely showing Ryan Lochte and his bedazzled kicks. I certainly hope they learn from this constant criticism and improve themselves in time for Rio.

Aug 05, 2012 at 09:16AM EDT

I %100 agree with Fridge here. NBC just seems to be completely clueless about what viewers from the USA want to see. Every two seconds there is some interview or backstory about an athlete when we could be watching another event. It’s very frustrating.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:51AM EDT

Who’s brilliant idea was to hire a 15 year old for a timekeeper job? That’s just ridiculous.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:59PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!