Forums / Discussion / General

232,830 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

Anime General

Last posted Aug 18, 2012 at 03:54PM EDT. Added Aug 06, 2012 at 01:24PM EDT
47 posts from 26 users

Lets discuss of the animes ladies and gentlemen.

Which one did you guys grow up with or what anime is your guy's favorite? So far i've really gotten into "My bride is a mermaid" and both of the FMA series.

I've watched Kanon, Spice and Wolf (both seasons), Gurren Lagann, a little bit of Baccano, Elfen Lied (oh, the horror x_x), a little bit of Birdy the Mighty, and that's about it.

Birdy the Mighty and Baccano I didn't like too much, but the others were all great. I really hope that they make another season of Spice and Wolf.

Here're some pics to start this thread off.

Pokemon

One Piece

Soul Reaper

Lucky Star and Gurren Lagann

Why 60% of all viewers watch anime:

Personal Favourite anime:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Nichijou

Anime I am currently watching:

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos

@Epyc Wyn
God damn your gif is distracting :<

Damn, my post is a mess! I'll change the images.
"You may only edit a post within 30 minutes of creating one"
Okay then, I'll just delete it and make a new one.
"You may only delete a post within 30 minutes of creating one"

Rin Tezuka wrote:

Damn, my post is a mess! I'll change the images.
"You may only edit a post within 30 minutes of creating one"
Okay then, I'll just delete it and make a new one.
"You may only delete a post within 30 minutes of creating one"

But anyways I really like:FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood and the original one

Angel Beats
Gurren Lagann
Deadman Wonderland

Last edited Aug 06, 2012 at 04:34PM EDT

Yes! Another anime thread. Before any actual discussion of anime, I'll just share my favorites:

Casshern Sins

Thank you, Toonami.

Cowboy Bebop

Everyone's favorite, and with good reason.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Probably the only show to make me audibly gasp.

The Girl who Leapt Through Time

A simple, but very touching film.

And finally, my personal favorite….

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, FLCL!!!

At least! An anime thread!
I have watched
One Piece (from first to 527)
Naruto (i finished first series, but too bored to watch shippuden)
Death Note (fuck yea)
Last Exile (awkward end)
Fullmetal Alchemist (cool chibies)
Shaman King (Best short series)
Dragon Ball (still watching and best series ever.. i am at cell arc right now)
Bleach (meh.. i didn't like anime.. i watched over 100 episode with forcing myself..)
Ano Hana blah blah blah yada yada (not bad shoujo series.. but still..shoujo..yawn)
Angel Beats (i loved characters but.i… don't get it.)
Bakuman (even i don't like shoujos.. i like this and finished first series!)
Beelzebub (daabu!)
Fairy Tail
Kenichi
Slam Dunk (good old series.. i have no idea why i stopped watching)
Soul Eater (chibi is overused.. only watched one episode)
I'll Check These
Azumanda Daioh (i have looked first episode and… wow!)
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebob
D.Gray-Man
Gintama
Great Teacher Onizuka
To Love Ru (badass ecchi.. manga series aren't bad at all!)
Hitman REBORN
Ao No Exorcist
Steins Gate
Basilisk
Claymore (goooreee!)

Which one i should start with? Any suggestion?

Last edited Aug 07, 2012 at 10:54AM EDT

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

At least! An anime thread!
I have watched
One Piece (from first to 527)
Naruto (i finished first series, but too bored to watch shippuden)
Death Note (fuck yea)
Last Exile (awkward end)
Fullmetal Alchemist (cool chibies)
Shaman King (Best short series)
Dragon Ball (still watching and best series ever.. i am at cell arc right now)
Bleach (meh.. i didn't like anime.. i watched over 100 episode with forcing myself..)
Ano Hana blah blah blah yada yada (not bad shoujo series.. but still..shoujo..yawn)
Angel Beats (i loved characters but.i… don't get it.)
Bakuman (even i don't like shoujos.. i like this and finished first series!)
Beelzebub (daabu!)
Fairy Tail
Kenichi
Slam Dunk (good old series.. i have no idea why i stopped watching)
Soul Eater (chibi is overused.. only watched one episode)
I'll Check These
Azumanda Daioh (i have looked first episode and… wow!)
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebob
D.Gray-Man
Gintama
Great Teacher Onizuka
To Love Ru (badass ecchi.. manga series aren't bad at all!)
Hitman REBORN
Ao No Exorcist
Steins Gate
Basilisk
Claymore (goooreee!)

Which one i should start with? Any suggestion?

Cowboy Bebop.

Sigh I better start saving a Copy-Pasta for myself to use for every time this thread pops up.

Anime Shows I have watched and rather enjoyed:
Kampfer

Tower of Duraga

Fullmetal Alchemist

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Kashimashi

Fate/Stay Night

Ghost Hunt

Death Note

Shuffle

Neon Genesis Evengelion

Higurashi

Asobi ni Iku Yo

Negima (Only the OVA seires. They fucked up too hard on the TV series)

Yugioh Season Zero (At least 100 times better than the series that made it to America)

Samurai Champloo

Steins Gate

Madoka

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Sekirei

There is probably more, but I watch Anime so often I have started to forget what I have watched.

Last edited Aug 07, 2012 at 01:07PM EDT

Other than One Piece, it's been quite a while since I've watched any actual….anime. Partly due to time and partly due to nothing really grabbing my interest. I do intend to watch Gurren Langann *and *FMA: Brotherhood (being a huge fan of the original Anime FMA, it's great they finally made one with a proper manga ending).

I think part of the reason I stopped watching anime was that a few years ago, I watched The best anime of all time no scratch that "The Best Animated series of all time* : Legend of the Galactic Heroes. And after that, everything else just seems…..less awesome.

If you don't know what it is, it's a mammoth 110 episode OVA that ran from 1988 to 2000 and of course the quality gets better the longer it goes on not that it was bad in the first place.

Basically the story is an adaptation of a sci-fi historical epic similar to Romance of the Three Kingdoms or War and Peace…but in space with literally hundreds of named characters and battles and politics and all sorts of shit going on.

It's hard to find people who are into that shit due to the slow pace of the story and the 1980s anime design but if you're a history nerd, this anime is mana from heaven.

Also, the entire anime was animated straight up old school style, not of that bullshit CG:

As for recommendations:
If you are a fan of Anime, or sorta indifferent to Anime, or even sorta Dislike most Anime, (not certain about "Hate Anime with a Passion", but I still think it might make Nair change his viewpoint slightly); I highly recommend watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Both Seasons and the Movie, English Language (Fuck You Otaku Purists, Crispin Freeman's sexy voice is far greater than your lowly tastes will ever be), Chronological Order, and skipping 2-6 of the Endless 8 Arc.

I have shown it to many people, and even people who really don't like anime (My Brother and Evil Nemesis Brother) absolutely loved it! But no seriously, I would exceed the letter limit if I tried to say everything I wanted to about it.

@Otaku's who haven't watched it: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!
@Regular People: It's a great show! You should watch it!
@Picky People who usually view Anime negatively: It's different than most other animes. The first episode is misleading but if you start on Episode 2 I think you will like it very much!
@Anime Haters: You're missing out man!

@Natsuru
What kind of forbidden black magic did you use to enjoy Kashimashi and Kampfer!? They rank #'s 3 and 2 on my top 3 list of God-awful endings. (#1 is Mahoromatic.) Kampfer was unconclusive and Girl Meets Girl had a terrible TV ending followed by a magic of Christmas solve-all OVA ending that makes zero sense.

I enjoyed Kampfer… until they caught up to the manga and forgot to hire real writers. Why else would I make my username named after the main character? n_n;;

And I don't remember Kashimashi's ending being that bad, maybe just a little quick… and I didn't watch the OVA so I can't say.

Oh god i remember bo-bo-bo-bo bo bo bo. That shit was the BEST television show i've ever watched when i was a kid and i would always be on the floor laughing from start to finish. But i think the Manga is funnier even though it started at episode 40 something.

Black Cat was a great action adventure in my opinion but i can't find anything past book 8

I remember getting into naruto shippuuden but i got out of it after book 40.

I plan on checking out Gurren Lagan and soul eater later on in the week.

(I have all the Bobobo-bo bo bo bo mangas in my bookshelf collecting dust. I NEED MORE)

@Natsuru:

I did see Haruhi Season 1 ages ago. To my great surprise, I went in wanting to hate it but got some enjoyment by the end. I still think it's overrated but quite enjoyable.

I haven't watched or heard anything about Season 2 since the time everyone was bitching about Endless Eight.

@Twins:

WATCHU TALKING ABOUT? They're Cousins….They say so on the show….

Hetalia

Probably my favourite anime ever it's hilarious. The episodes are 5 minutes so its great if i have a time schedule and watch this in my 5 minute breaks.

Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso)

This is also funny. If you haven't watched do so.

Fullmetal Alchemist

I've been taking my time on this one I'm on 37-ish.

Darker Than Black

Only on episode 3 but it's really intresting

burning_phoneix wrote:

@Natsuru:

I did see Haruhi Season 1 ages ago. To my great surprise, I went in wanting to hate it but got some enjoyment by the end. I still think it's overrated but quite enjoyable.

I haven't watched or heard anything about Season 2 since the time everyone was bitching about Endless Eight.

@Twins:

WATCHU TALKING ABOUT? They're Cousins….They say so on the show….

Season two wasn't as enjoyable as Season One, but I think that is because it really wasn't able to stand by itself.

It's a Gap Filler at best, adding in all the events of the book they skipped in the first season. If you are going to watch it at all, it would have to be with the first seasons episodes in chronological order.

And also, the endless eight was poorly executed. Though it's not like they just aired the same episode 8 times, as they re-animated it each time, however there wasn't enough variation in the actual events to make it interesting. I say; Just skip all but the First and Last ones. Otherwise you will go insane like I did.

But all in all, the main reason to watch the second season is to prepare yourself for the events of the Movie, which wouldn't make any remote sense if they didn't make the Second Season.

Any recommendations for a not-so-dedicate anime watcher?

The only animes I seen so far and still haven't finished them are:

Baccano!

Sgt.Frog

Cassherns Sins

Cowboy Bebop

Lucky Star

Shaman King(I was kid when I saw this, okay?)

And I have yet to see this one but it's worth mentioning:

Serial Experiment Lain

Mexx Android wrote:

Any recommendations for a not-so-dedicate anime watcher?

The only animes I seen so far and still haven't finished them are:

Baccano!

Sgt.Frog

Cassherns Sins

Cowboy Bebop

Lucky Star

Shaman King(I was kid when I saw this, okay?)

And I have yet to see this one but it's worth mentioning:

Serial Experiment Lain

Well, FLCL might be a little too…uh…outlandish for someone who hasn't seen too much anime, but it's only 6 episodes long, so it wouldn't take long to watch. Are you familiar with Trigun? It's a pretty fun show that's both awesome and fairly easy to get in to.

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

Well, FLCL might be a little too…uh…outlandish for someone who hasn't seen too much anime, but it's only 6 episodes long, so it wouldn't take long to watch. Are you familiar with Trigun? It's a pretty fun show that's both awesome and fairly easy to get in to.

Oh, FLCL! I forgot to mention that one. Yes, I have actually seen it and I very much like it.

As for Trigun. I've heard of it but never seen an episode.

Last edited Aug 11, 2012 at 10:51AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Season two wasn't as enjoyable as Season One, but I think that is because it really wasn't able to stand by itself.

It's a Gap Filler at best, adding in all the events of the book they skipped in the first season. If you are going to watch it at all, it would have to be with the first seasons episodes in chronological order.

And also, the endless eight was poorly executed. Though it's not like they just aired the same episode 8 times, as they re-animated it each time, however there wasn't enough variation in the actual events to make it interesting. I say; Just skip all but the First and Last ones. Otherwise you will go insane like I did.

But all in all, the main reason to watch the second season is to prepare yourself for the events of the Movie, which wouldn't make any remote sense if they didn't make the Second Season.

Like Nats already mentioned, Endless Eight is like a necessary evil on your way to the movie, because if they wouldn't have the Endless Eight, the movie-arc would only have been a part of the second season, and we would have never gotten The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is easily one of the best anime movies ever made, hands down.

I'd also actually recommend watching the whole Endless Eight. It sure is an extreme experience, but watching the whole Endless Eight will probably help you to get to know more about Yuki Nagato and understand her ways. She also plays a very important role in the movie, if not the most important right after Kyon, so it's again preparing you for the movie, which is pretty much the climax of the franchise.

This thread needs more Death Note and Code Geass. Everything else important has already been covered.

To be honest, I prefer the Light Novel version of Haruhi, but the movie was my favorite anime movie.

So friends, we have two new (cough) animes premiering on Toonami tonight:

Samurai 7

Which is apparently based off of the old Kurosawa Seven Samurai movie.

and

Eureka 7

Which is made by the same studio that did Deadman Wonderland. I'm very excited to see these shows, and I know they've been around for a while now, so…thoughts?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!