Forums / Discussion / General

170,901 total conversations in 5,485 threads

+ New Thread

What do you want from the Forums?

Last posted Aug 14, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT. Added Aug 11, 2012 at 12:54AM EDT
67 posts from 35 users

I want removal of (negative) karma system, at least in the General forum.

Forums become interesting when there is a large spectrum of opinions expressed on any given topic. The karma system motivates people to shitpost/only express popular opinions in order to get +1s or for fear of being karma bombed, making the forum less interesting.

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 05:12AM EDT
Aug 12, 2012 at 05:12AM EDT

I want the karma system removed. People think that Karma is more important than actually posting in the forums so they just karma whore as much as they possibly can. Originally it was made that way it could modify users posting habits but now people constantly focus on how much karma they have. It’s pretty damn sad really.

Aug 12, 2012 at 06:49AM EDT

I also want people to stop being dicks. That’s not to say I’m not guilty of being a dick, but… We need to be nicer.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:06AM EDT
Furthermore I’d like more users here to be a little more optimistic and not act as though the world is ending just because this forum doesn’t always go the way they hope it would. Regard that forums are always what you make it, so if you want it to improve, start by using it in an improvised way. Complaining wont achieve anything.

Now if you will excuse me I will be off enjoying the forum for what it is rather than worry about what it isn’t.

I agree and disagree. I’ll begin with where I disagree.

I’m all about quality improvement in all organized, community-based matters. I don’t think that discussing what you don’t like is a bad thing. In fact, I’m glad that this kind of thread comes up every month or so.

Some things will resolve themselves (as you say, some users who believe that this is the thread to claim page gets help to make the forum what it is and what it probably could stand not to be.) And the trend of the forum threads changes. Sometimes, it’s generally good, sometimes, it’s generally bad, and sometimes, it’s a matter of opinion.

However, if multiple people have a problem with the state of things, then I think you have to air it out. It’s part of making change. One part.

Also, I know I’ve posted with you on this before, so maybe I’m not quite getting it yet. But it requires multiple people to begin to make a change. Any one person can’t change the forum, and they shouldn’t be able to. That’s why I think threads like this are good. It lets people say what they don’t like where everyone can see it. If many of us agree, then we can figure out what the “problems” are, and then we can help to tweak the culture of the forum to something more users can enjoy.

However, I do think you’re mostly right. Users make the community here. We’re not always focused on the same thing and we don’t have the same interests, so it’s probably just us that makes the forum what it is. So users as a whole have to feel a sense of responsibility.

I think that users get off from work or school, and they just want to unwind. They don’t want to be overly concerned about appearances or having moderators tell them what to do and what not to do (and I really don’t want to tell users what to do. I just feel like a user who wants to help with powers. I don’t feel like the RandomMan’s, the Brucker’s, or the Tomberry’s of the site.) But since this is a community, some people would say a group of friends, there is a need to be considerate while you’re having fun. If everyone in the community hates what you’re doing, then please consider that. I think that people need to think about the community and what actions they take within the community.

I think that change in the average Internet user’s mindset would also solve a lot of “problems.”

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:18PM EDT
But it requires multiple people to begin to make a change. Any one person can’t change the forum, and they shouldn’t be able to. That’s why I think threads like this are good. It lets people say what they don’t like where everyone can see it. If many of us agree, then we can figure out what the “problems” are, and then we can help to tweak the culture of the forum to something more users can enjoy.

That right there is the reason I made this thread, I wanted to see specifically what problems people had with the forums as it could shed light on what could be solved with some group effort. Already several users have used ideas that have been given in this topic for new threads, and while some were not executed too well, I think it has been a general success.

I want removal of (negative) karma system, at least in the General forum.

This argument is made quite a bit, the most recent thread right here is still open and is quite the good read.

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 03:15PM EDT
Aug 12, 2012 at 03:14PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I had actually made a pretty awesome thread back on TV Tropes once…

Granted, it’s fallen into the depths of obscurity, and I can’t seem to get anything to turn up when I search the site; but for a time, it ran well. Many participants, big happenings. It was a sort hybrid between an RP and a strategy game.

It was based around a magic versus technology war, between two fictional factions: The Western Federation, masters of science and technology, secular and reliant on their machinery; and the Eastern Alliance, powerful magi and sorcerers of all stripes, followers of various gods.

I had in fact even realistically included religious types in Western territory, such as the various Native American tribes, or the Vatican, as being at least partially in line with both sides; and likewise with scientists and researchers in Eastern lands wanting both to preserve their homelands but at the same time continue to build machines.

If anyone here thinks they might be interested in partaking of a thread like this, I could certainly start it up. I doubt I’d be able to run it alone, but I would at least be able to get the ball rolling.

So does anyone want me to go through with this? Or should I just leave it behind?

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT

@Serious

Not sure. I can’t participate since I usually lack dedications on these type of things. All I can say is just throw it out there and see what happens. If users get into it, this might turn out to be a really good game. If it doesn’t then forget about it and try it out another time.

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 05:38PM EDT
Aug 12, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT

So does anyone want me to go through with this? Or should I just leave it behind?

Seems pretty cool. Go ahead with it.

Aug 12, 2012 at 06:22PM EDT

Dac wrote:

Seems pretty cool. Go ahead with it.

Right.

Should I post a sign-up thread first, or just put the game itself out there?

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:03PM EDT

Right.

Should I post a sign-up thread first, or just put the game itself out there?

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:08PM EDT

Dac wrote:

Got it.

Stand by. Posting thread.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT

Got it.

Stand by. Posting thread.

Sorry to double post, that took me a while, but here it is.

I’ll add a list of players as people join in.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT

I just want to chime in to say that community events/activities, like what Nair is trying to set up above me or the D&D game Solaire is trying to set up, are one of the nicer opportunities this forum provides us. Yeah, sometimes they flop or are really hard to organize over the long term, but if people are bored they can be really good for killing time when there are lulls in the discussion threads.

One challenge to these activities is that real life things can get in the way of internet things. For example, I am currently on family vacation, so even though I would love to try and participate in D&D or Nair’s RP thing, I am a tad busy right now. Also, this forum is kind of small, so it can be hard to organize sizable groups.

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 09:34PM EDT
Aug 12, 2012 at 09:33PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

You know, it’s funny. The exact phenomenon you just described used to go on in Pony General, until every topic became stale and the users within formed a reclusive yet rather welcoming brotherhood and started to discuss their personal issues instead of My Little Pony. It’s gotten a little better, but it’s still not where it was around this time last year.

That seems to be a common occurrence around here: fandom threads tend to always spark more discussion, or so it seems. Pony General aside, there’s always a general thread in the top five, whether it be Legend of Korra, Homestuck, or more recently Gravity Falls. What I don’t see happening is threads about what this website is about: memes. Mind you, I don’t mean research threads, we have an entire division for that, I mean people just talking about memes themselves. People could talk about memes they like, memes they hate, memes they don’t understand in the slightest, and so on. So I guess that’s what I want to see from the forums.

I would bet that, if one were to go back and search the beginnings of the forums, he’d find a lot of meme related threads. On this kind of site, it seems like the topic would be worn out quickly and forgotten, though that’s not to say there are NEVER meme threads. Just less, I’d think.

Also, I’m sort of inclined to disagree with the idea of fandom threads always sparking interest; I can think of several shows I watch that wouldn’t have 200 pages of discussion. And I guess that’s not to say that ALL fandom threads WON’T start lengthy discussions, but the ones I actually would be interested in wouldn’t.

I guess what I’m getting at is that it’s not the forum, it’s me. I want a place to talk extensively about my interests whenever I want, and that’s not this forum. To clarify, that doesn’t mean I hate this forum; I use it a lot. Just that ideally, it can’t match up to what I want it-unreasonably-to be.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!