Forums / Discussion / General

232,887 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

The RP Ideas/Discussion Thread General

Last posted Aug 17, 2012 at 03:14PM EDT. Added Aug 16, 2012 at 04:01PM EDT
24 posts from 8 users

I know users of KYM don't exactly like RolePlaying threads, but still there are some avid users here that really like to do these type of things.

Hence the titles name, here you post ideas for RP threads and talk about whatever you want… Or at least things relevant to the threads topic.

So, lets start this.
Can't wait to hear your ideas!

This thread hasn't attracted nearly as much attention as I thought it would, and from past experience, I know I won't be able to GM it.

If anyone wants in, there are still slots open. Just follow the outlines I provide. And if you want to be the GM, just say so. I'll announce a GM before I start the game itself.

I used to GM all sorts of games amongst my friends when I was a youth. Usually though, I was referred to as the "banker," because we did not have any kind of guidance (rule books) in our games, and usually made them up ourselves. Also, there was no real "role playing" such as character development or stories. We just liked to make board games as convoluted as possible. I recall one game of Risk that lasted four months due to all of the elements we added to it.

Anywho, I would be interested in GMing a game, if I have the time and enough people are interested, or playing in a game run by a proficient GM.

I'll try to simplify as much as possible here.

Two factions. Diametrically opposing viewpoints. World war.

On one side, science and technology has created a new way of life. Think something akin to Syndicate, just without the corporate takeover. In addition, energy weapons and deflector shields are widespread.

On the other side, mysticism and spiritualism are the order of the day. They seek harmony with nature, rather than to manipulate and control it. Basically, think of any typical JRPG setting. Just add a few cartridge based firearms here and there, with airships and such in some cases.

It's a turn based strategy game. I expect multiple turns per day, possibly even per hour if the GM's up to it.

Multiple fronts, though each player is only responsible for one. Multiple players from each side can end up fighting on the same front.

Each unit is different, and each player controls an entire division or equivalent.

Did some one say RP?
I AM THE KING OF ROLE PLAY…. except si-fi I can't do si-fi.
I play RPG's of any kind.
My ability to creating Character on Dungeons & Dragons ranks 8/10
My ability to cosplay 6.5/10
My ability to Role play is 9.5/10
Ask me anything about Role play.
I broke my arm over it before.

Ann Hiro wrote:

Did some one say RP?
I AM THE KING OF ROLE PLAY…. except si-fi I can't do si-fi.
I play RPG's of any kind.
My ability to creating Character on Dungeons & Dragons ranks 8/10
My ability to cosplay 6.5/10
My ability to Role play is 9.5/10
Ask me anything about Role play.
I broke my arm over it before.

If not for the fact that you say you can't do sci-fi, I'd invite you to GM my game.

Yes, one of the sides is pretty much pure sci-fi.

Mexx Android wrote:

Also, I remember SubjectNumber32 had an idea for a another RP thread. Maybe he can tell his idea here?…

My ideas we're either a middle ages version of KYM (where the site was a castle and had to be defended by other invading websites and ad bots), and a pirate version of KYM (which is similar to the middle ages one, but their ship is under attack)

How about user against user? There can be two governing pirate ships. 2 users get be Captains and other users get to be a specific class. The ships has health, so do the users.

Mexx Android wrote:

How about user against user? There can be two governing pirate ships. 2 users get be Captains and other users get to be a specific class. The ships has health, so do the users.

Sure. That's a good idea

Going to quickly re-post my old "Guidelines" for making a Roelplay Thread.

1. Create a solid Introduction and provide the Setting: If the users have nothing to go off of, the thread will be ruined in a matter of minutes.
2. Add Rules to go by. There will likely be some people who will attempt to hijack the thread in some way shape or form, so setting these guidelines will help the other serious roleplayers to decide on how to deal with these types of posts.

My common rules:
~Do not overpower yourself in the beginning. (Roleplay should involve character development and the development of his or her strengths. Giving yourself all the powers you want at the very beginning usually breaks the experience for others. Unfortunately, with the "Power Cary Over" that happens from roleplay to roleplay, this has caused many people to become overpowered gods. It even happened to me.)
~No skipping large amounts of time! Give other players time to react! (The amount of time passed should reflect on the amount of event's described. Skipping large parts of a certain event leaves people in the dust as to what is going on.)
~No prematurely ending the story. (I Just HATE it when somebody jumps in to post "Everyone Died, The End!")

(The one I don't usually post)
~As the OP, you are responsible for the actions of your Roleplay. Though everyone is a Dungeon Master in a sense, you have to gently guide them though your own characters actions and your descriptions of the world you envisioned. This makes it easier for people to play along.
--

As for my ideas for a Roleplay… I will save that for another post.

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 08:31PM EDT

Natsuru Wrote:

Unfortunately, with the “Power Cary Over” that happens from roleplay to roleplay, this has caused many people to become overpowered gods. It even happened to me.)

That is why I locked us both up.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I'd be interested in a piracy RP.

Sky piracy, that is.

I don't think that's the type of setting we're looking for. It would be just another Pirate vs. Pirate Sea faring thing. However. the thought of ships flying through the sky is rather interesting.

Mexx Android wrote:

I don't think that's the type of setting we're looking for. It would be just another Pirate vs. Pirate Sea faring thing. However. the thought of ships flying through the sky is rather interesting.

Maybe it could be a futuristic time where the RP thread is one big battle between the sea pirates and the sky pirates.

Nah, I'd just go straight up Crimson Skies, myself.

Because the only way it would be balanced to have sea units vs. aircraft would be to give the Navy gigantic battleships bristling with AA guns.

@Subject

Yeah, it could. Or maybe we could just have an all sky pirate battle. I feel that the Sea Pirates have a disadvantage because, you know, it would be rather hard to fight Sky Pirates

Mexx Android wrote:

@Subject

Yeah, it could. Or maybe we could just have an all sky pirate battle. I feel that the Sea Pirates have a disadvantage because, you know, it would be rather hard to fight Sky Pirates

Not necessarily. You get those main guns pointed high enough, I bet a battleship could down most zeps with one shot. And all the flak that even a destroyer could put up would destroy many fighters and bombers.

EDIT: Though at this point, we're basically talking about WWII surface warships vs. sky pirates with zeppelin aircraft carriers. Might as well have fighter vs. fighter dogfights with the fighters from surface carriers dueling the fighters of the sky pirates while trying to get to the zeps.

EDIT2: Maybe the sky pirates have torpedo planes and divebombers, but fewer fighters than the surface fleet to compensate? Would that work?

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 08:47PM EDT

I went digging through my board game collection to give me some ideas for something that would be fun on the forum, and I recalled one game that I liked a lot. It went like this:

An island map was drawn on paper placed over a Go grid, and secret resources were mapped out by the GM. The players would then spend monopoly money to place Risk and A&A pieces on the board to prospect and then harvest materials from the island, steal resources from other players, and defend their own resources from theft. You would sell your resources overseas to get more money, which would then be used to expand your operations even further.

A die was rolled for each turn that took from a secret countdown clock, and once that clock hit zero the island's volcano would explode, killing anybody that had not yet evacuated. That usually happened at turn 20, give or take five turns, so it was a gamble towards the end of the game to evacuate or keep mining. The turns would all happen simultaneously, sort of like in Diplomacy, so all players actions occurred at the same time. Whoever ended the game with the most money won.

I think this is very plausible for a forum game. If anybody is interested in playing I could start a thread for it. I could also add new elements based on role-playing, giving luck bonuses to those whom have well written posts. Tell me what you think.

I used to role play all the time. Personally I like the medieval RPG's better than anything else, but I also like them set in a modern time with fantasy assets. I personally find futuristic RPG's to be bland. (But I absolutely love Fallout 3) Anyways, I've never played D&D before, but I would love to start playing it. Although I'll definitely participate in any RPG's you guys have to offer.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!