Forums / Discussion / General

170,230 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread


Do you believe in God?

Last posted Sep 25, 2012 at 10:42PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2012 at 04:28PM EDT
290 posts from 106 users

The question is simple enough. Let’s keep the answers short, guys. I don’t want this thread to devolve into a flame war. And be respectful.

I’ll go first. Yes, I do. If you want me to elaborate, I will upon request. (but not too much. Don’t want to break my own rule.)

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:28PM EDT
Quote

Negative. Hard atheist here.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:30PM EDT

Yes. I’m a Christian, and I really consider my faith to be the center of who I am.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT
Quote

Yeah. I think he exists. Not as the Bible depicts him, but still.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT
Quote

Absolutely. I’ll be getting confirmed in under a month.
United Methodist represent, baby!

(UMC has best cross)

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 04:37PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT
Quote

Yes, I do believe in God.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT
Quote

Yes. I believe in the Judeo-Christian God YHVH, and believe Jesus to be His Son.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT
Quote

I think it’s best for not for me to say anything but the word yes.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 04:39PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 04:38PM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Yeah. I think he exists. Not as the Bible depicts him, but still.

This.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:41PM EDT
Quote

No. But I do believe in the Values of Life. Every person here has a choice to choose their beliefs.
Life is all about decisions an the effects of it. We chose what we want to become while following the laws. We Our choices can lead to good or bad consequences. For Instance, if I want to change religion for the sake of someone, my family will be dissapointed. One person or an entire group of people?

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 04:52PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT

I like that we can discuss our beliefs here and no one flames… That’s really rare, sadly.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:47PM EDT
Quote

@Patrick: Indeed. It’s because we all respect each other at a base level and are a somewhat tight-knit community.

As for my choice, I think I’m agnostic (that’s probably an incorrect term). It’s been a while since I last thought about it, but I believe that there may or may not be one or multiple Gods. Personally I don’t believe in God Himself, but I do believe that He may exist, in His form or not.

Besides. I usually just try to live by the cardinal rule of “Don’t be a dick”. That seems to cover most of the sins you can do.

tl;dr; No and sort of yes.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT
Quote

Patrick wrote:

I like that we can discuss our beliefs here and no one flames… That’s really rare, sadly.

Sad indeed. If anybody wants a great read with some really interesting stuff on religion, try The Life of Pi. In the part before he gets stuck on a life raft with a tiger, there’s some legitimately interesting exploration of religion.
Also, too late for no flames.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT
Quote

Patrick wrote:

I like that we can discuss our beliefs here and no one flames… That’s really rare, sadly.

Yes, that’s true. I found a video yesterday and the sad thing is that some people completely disregarded her talent and started flaming her for having a couple bible verses in her video.

Many defended her( a lot were atheist themselves) but I don’t understand why that even needs to be an issue

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:57PM EDT
Quote

Colmei wrote:

Sad indeed. If anybody wants a great read with some really interesting stuff on religion, try The Life of Pi. In the part before he gets stuck on a life raft with a tiger, there’s some legitimately interesting exploration of religion.
Also, too late for no flames.

That escalated quickly…

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:58PM EDT
Quote

No. I was Jewish, but because I felt that God ignored me and hated me, I became an Athiest.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:01PM EDT
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

No. I was Jewish, but because I felt that God ignored me and hated me, I became an Athiest.

I felt that God ignored me and hated me

You had obviously been going to the wrong place of worship if you felt that God hated and ignored you.
One of my fundamental beliefs in God is that He loves you unconditionally. Nothing you can do can make Him love you more or less.
“But Luis, my friend/relative/ect. was killed in a car accident! How could God let that happen?”
God gave everybody free will. It’s not His decision whether somebody has a beer too many or is texting at the wheel. It was their decision, and their decision only.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:08PM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Yeah. I think he exists. Not as the Bible depicts him, but still.

I have a loose view on the idea of God. First of all, I do not believe him to be the only supernatural entity in existence, but I do view him as an important one. To put it bluntly, for whatever reason he created this world. That’s his primary achievement.

However, he did not create the universe. He was simply born with it. Him an however many other “gods” to share the endless space of mass chunks.

Also, I feel his presence inside each human being, each animal, and each plant I meet. It’s complicated, but I feel that each soul living on the planet is just a part of him. Not as a detached chunk, but we each in our own way have every aspect of god hidden inside of us, and in turn we are all his embodiment. These embodiments can’t die, so they simply return to him when the body dies, and after a little bit they set back out and are “reborn” into his world. So in this way, Jesus was not the only child of god; we are all his children. We where all born equal, and the only thing separating us is our individual relation to the 7 deadly sins and the relations of the people around us.

This is how I feel.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:14PM EDT
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

No. I was Jewish, but because I felt that God ignored me and hated me, I became an Athiest.

I’m really sorry you felt that way. Having experienced that feeling myself, it always pulls at my heart when others do, as well.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:20PM EDT
Quote

I was born and raised in a Christian home and community. However, I consider myself agnostic (neutral; accepting both possibilities that there is or isn’t a God.) People who consider themselves “agnostic” aren’t people who haven’t made up their mind; most of the time at least. For example, I still go to church every Sunday (except last Sunday because I was not feeling well), I still listen to the sermon given by my church’s pastor. Why am I not considered Christian? Here’s why:

1. I think religion is something to think about than just jumping in because of whatever reason; even if it may be that you grew up in a Christian home like me. I also accept that becoming Christian after something big happened in your life (both good or bad) recently (or even not recently) is also an acceptable case. I don’t find just jumping into a religion because you were raised that way (not counting religions that label you when you are first born like Judaism) is relatively naive.

2. My morals and opinions of social and/or political topics aren’t exactly common of what Christians believe in the U.S. (Gay rights, etc.). I’m waiting for Christians to be like this. Sorry if that’s too much to ask of them.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT
Quote

Anako wrote:

I was born and raised in a Christian home and community. However, I consider myself agnostic (neutral; accepting both possibilities that there is or isn’t a God.) People who consider themselves “agnostic” aren’t people who haven’t made up their mind; most of the time at least. For example, I still go to church every Sunday (except last Sunday because I was not feeling well), I still listen to the sermon given by my church’s pastor. Why am I not considered Christian? Here’s why:

1. I think religion is something to think about than just jumping in because of whatever reason; even if it may be that you grew up in a Christian home like me. I also accept that becoming Christian after something big happened in your life (both good or bad) recently (or even not recently) is also an acceptable case. I don’t find just jumping into a religion because you were raised that way (not counting religions that label you when you are first born like Judaism) is relatively naive.

2. My morals and opinions of social and/or political topics aren’t exactly common of what Christians believe in the U.S. (Gay rights, etc.). I’m waiting for Christians to be like this. Sorry if that’s too much to ask of them.

I feel like everything you’re saying is completely Christian, in fact, and if you feel that it’s not, it’s because someone’s not giving you the whole picture. Christianity isn’t something you have because your parents took you to church, or because you were baptized when you were little, or for any external reason. Faith in Christ is a choice, and a choice only you can make, and I think the fact that you’re waiting for that is very wise.

Also, being a Christian does not mean you have to have a certain political view. I define myself as a communitarian, many of my beliefs being liberally oriented, including gay marriage. Being a Christian is about loving others, and glorifying God, and while there are things God commands of us, the beautiful thing is, even if we don’t follow them, He still loves us completely and unconditionally. And, I can say, I personally want to strive to be like the people in that picture for Jesus, because it’s the exact same thing He’d do.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 05:34PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 05:31PM EDT
Quote

Born and raised Catholic. But I have a lot questions about things and began to lose faith ,due to some personal issues, so I can’t really say I believe in God but then again, there might be something greater out there. I’m sorta in-between all of this.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:32PM EDT

Mexx Android wrote:

Born and raised Catholic. But I have a lot questions about things and began to lose faith ,due to some personal issues, so I can’t really say I believe in God but then again, there might be something greater out there. I’m sorta in-between all of this.

That’s exactly how I am and feel.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:33PM EDT
Quote

No, I don’t. Incidentally, this:

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT
Quote

I do believe in God, but living in an ardent southern Christian community for the last two years, I’ve lost hope in organized religion. I’ve jokingly told people I’m everything from Muslim to Jewish to atheist, and each time I’ve been told I’m going to hell with varying levels of hatred. I understand that religion helps a lot of people through their lives, and that sometimes they do positive things for other people, but I’ve lost sight of any benefit it has for me. Like Sparty said, I just try to live the life I want to live without worsening things for anyone else. I like to think of myself as a pretty good guy.

So basically, I can’t take religion seriously. And it’s made worse by how I was treated when I made that clear; people asked me all the time which church I went to, and for a while I told them I didn’t go. They’d act like they felt bad and they’d invite me to go with them, and I’d say I didn’t want to. They’d act as though I had insulted their family dating back to their great-great-great grandfathers. I’ve had too much religion forced on me for me to accept it.

But I’m still live and let live about it.

Tl:Dr; God still exists, but he doesn’t intervene in our puny mortal affairs. Deism represent!

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

I feel like everything you’re saying is completely Christian, in fact, and if you feel that it’s not, it’s because someone’s not giving you the whole picture. Christianity isn’t something you have because your parents took you to church, or because you were baptized when you were little, or for any external reason. Faith in Christ is a choice, and a choice only you can make, and I think the fact that you’re waiting for that is very wise.

Also, being a Christian does not mean you have to have a certain political view. I define myself as a communitarian, many of my beliefs being liberally oriented, including gay marriage. Being a Christian is about loving others, and glorifying God, and while there are things God commands of us, the beautiful thing is, even if we don’t follow them, He still loves us completely and unconditionally. And, I can say, I personally want to strive to be like the people in that picture for Jesus, because it’s the exact same thing He’d do.

The good thing about being raised in a Christian home and have been going to Church for as long as I remember is that I know what it means to be a Christian and how to honestly become one by faith and God’s word alone. I am very grateful of how I was raised in fact. I have loving and understanding parents.

Being Christian does not mean you have to have certain or even similar political visions and opinions. You are, however, socially and biasly labeled to the most common social and political view points among the Christian community.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 05:39PM EDT
Quote

Anako wrote:

The good thing about being raised in a Christian home and have been going to Church for as long as I remember is that I know what it means to be a Christian and how to honestly become one by faith and God’s word alone. I am very grateful of how I was raised in fact. I have loving and understanding parents.

Being Christian does not mean you have to have certain or even similar political visions and opinions. You are, however, socially and biasly labeled to the most common social and political view points among the Christian community.

Or the most vocal, at any rate.

I sincerely doubt the majority of Christians would actually support a “Personhood” law. But the most vocal of them out there do support the idea that life begins at conception.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT

Anako wrote:

The good thing about being raised in a Christian home and have been going to Church for as long as I remember is that I know what it means to be a Christian and how to honestly become one by faith and God’s word alone. I am very grateful of how I was raised in fact. I have loving and understanding parents.

Being Christian does not mean you have to have certain or even similar political visions and opinions. You are, however, socially and biasly labeled to the most common social and political view points among the Christian community.

That is very true. I just personally believe that it’s worth being incorrectly labeled. Besides, I don’t think anyone here has labeled me with those ideas, and I like to think I’m expressive about my faith. Or if they have, they haven’t expressed it.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:47PM EDT
Quote

Yes, I do. I’d prefer not to state which church I belong to, mainly because I don’t want to have to take sides and sometimes I’m not even sure. I believe and practice most of the core doctrine, but there are some practices and opinions (that aren’t official doctrine) within my church that I don’t agree with. Thus, it’s vey hard to get along with a lot of my “fellow worshippers”.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Quote

I do, but I’m a Unitarian. However, unlike some Unitarians, I don’t believe that Jesus doesn’t exist, but I don’t believe that he was a divine being or the prophet of the God that I believe in. I also don’t believe a lot of things in the Bible. My religious orientation is rather complicated, I think.

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:56PM EDT
Quote

No. I considered myself to be Christian for most of my life until very recently. Basically, I’d say I thought too hard.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT
Quote

Atheist here.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT

I do believe in God, but also believe Christians should be like the ones that Ghandi wanted.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:27PM EDT
Quote

UnderWaterTree wrote:

i am a god

Hey me too, but this isn’t a place for that

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:43PM EDT
Quote

I’m an agnostic theist. I believe in a God as some sort of a divine being, but I believe that we are incapable of measuring the scope of his influence and presence in the world. Odds are, not much, at least in modern day society, but we can never really be sure.

I grew up as a Catholic Buddhist, but my family never really practiced either religion at all. The occasional Buddha statue and crucifix around the house were the only things reminding me my religious background. So never been religious, never will be.


I also run my own church in my spare time, in which I myself am God, and require a tithe from all of its adherents, in return for my holy grace and sacrosanct being. A fair price to pay indeed.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 07:02PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 06:59PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

Kind of?

It’s interesting you say that. I’ve always thought it was interesting for people who are Jewish and perhaps practice the faith may not always believe in the Judeo-Christian God. I’m sure you have a more informed view on your own beliefs, but there’s something about that which is more refreshing that confusing (although it is somewhat confusing.)

I certainly believe in God. I rarely say it unless prompted, because I would hope that Christ’s (who I believe to be God as well) love is evident in what I do and how I act. Like Brawler, the belief guides what I do.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:35PM EDT

Well, I would best fit under Deist, but i have my own beliefs built upon it.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:43PM EDT

Yes, I’m a proud Catholic. But I hate zealots, they make the rest look bad.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 07:48PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 07:45PM EDT
Quote

@Twins
Me too.

Mod edit: I saw what you did there, please don’t.

ANN HIRO edit: that thing was like a failure son that I have disowned. I even forgot the password

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 08:03PM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 07:46PM EDT
Quote

How can i believe in something that isn’t real? Ok im just joking but in reality im agnostic so i don’t know what to believe in. I used to be a christian but i need some time to think.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:04PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!