Forums / Discussion / General

171,032 total conversations in 5,482 threads

+ New Thread


Do you believe in God?

Last posted Sep 25, 2012 at 10:42PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2012 at 04:28PM EDT
290 posts from 106 users

And it’s because of huge, monotonous arguments why I think of God as not a being or entity, but as a force that keeps everything together. No one religion or atheist knows the right answer. As I said before, it sounds crazy, but it does help loosen the arguments a little.

i’m so special
Aug 27, 2012 at 03:28PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

And it’s because of huge, monotonous arguments why I think of God as not a being or entity, but as a force that keeps everything together. No one religion or atheist knows the right answer. As I said before, it sounds crazy, but it does help loosen the arguments a little.

i’m so special

Your not the only one who’s special

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:02PM EDT
Quote

I say I don’t believe but I think it is possible of a deity I just highly doubt it. If there is I don’t like god his infinite power and he could guide humanity but he chooses not to.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:08PM EDT
Quote

I’m a Whitmanist. It is the center of everything I do. It is 100% true and all of you are wrong.
I believe in Slim Whitman to be the devine god of life universe and everything. It was just how I was brought up. Life is to complex to not have a creator, Slim must be the one. He even came down from planet zerion and made us music that would alter the world. Just look at slim’s album cover! HIS HAND IS THE HAND OF GOD.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:31PM EDT
Quote

I love how we are talking about religion on a website that people use to jack off to unicorns. I TAKE THAT BACK DONT KILL ME YOU BRONY FANS.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:52PM EDT
Quote

Slasher Ace wrote:

I love how we are talking about religion on a website that people use to jack off to unicorns. I TAKE THAT BACK DONT KILL ME YOU BRONY FANS.

We uh, well I um, ok yes we come here to clop

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:30PM EDT
Quote

@Daniel

This thread was asking do you believe in god not prove wether or not he exists.

Clam yo tits. I wasn’t arguing whether or not God exists, I was arguing that science cannot be used to determine if God exists. Notice that my posts were neutral on that subject.

Besides this thread was bound to get into serious discussion anyway. It’s humanly impossible for people NOT to give their opinions on this topic. We may be able to say “Yes” or “No” for a short while but nobody can resist explaining why. The temptation was bound to overcome us eventually…and it has. Just look at all those TL;DR’s

If we don’t want this thread going that direction, we might as well lock it now.


@Slasher

I love how we are talking about religion on a website that people use to jack off to unicorns

Even cloppers need moments to reflect on serious existential questions.


@Algy

It does raise the question of why a God capable of revealing himself so easily would choose not to though

That is a pretty good question. But I like to think there is a good reason to stay anonymous.

Imagine that Zues came down from the sky in a physical form that could be clearly identified as Zues and he revealed before the entire world that Greek mythology was the true religion all along. All others are false and now everyone must worship Zues or else eat his lightning bolt. His every word is now your command against whatever you really wanted to do or believe

How well do you think that would work out for humanity?

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:56PM EDT
Quote

In all honesty… I’m not sure. I view God as a comfortable idea. Catholicism seems fine to me. One almighty being that created everything, and we all have a purpose. I know you shouldn’t use God as your means of getting out of bed in the morning, but the main factor is this.

We don’t know everything. We don’t know if God exists, or if Allah exists, or if the Egyptians are right with all of their gods, or if there is no form of God and Atheists are correct.

We can never know for certain, and I’m open minded if there is no God. I just like to think there is one.

Last edited Aug 28, 2012 at 12:24AM EDT
Aug 28, 2012 at 12:23AM EDT
Quote

BSoD, I think you’ve been one of the most fair and level-headed posters on this thread. The only reason I asked people to keep the answers short is because I didn’t know if the community could handle it, which I now think is pretty clearly possible. It’s had its moments, but overall nobody’s been too aggressive. Now that I know that we can talk about the topic without being jerks about it, I welcome all the tl;dr’s. I love getting others’ perspectives on this sort of thing, without pressure on anyone for anyone else to be converted to their mindset.

In short, you guys have handled this thread very well. I appreciate that; I thought it might not have lasted a page.

Last edited Aug 28, 2012 at 12:39AM EDT
Aug 28, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT
Quote

Slasher Ace wrote:

I love how we are talking about religion on a website that people use to jack off to unicorns. I TAKE THAT BACK DONT KILL ME YOU BRONY FANS.

But unicorns are in the bible!
Also, the bible talks about a protosuperhero that killed a lot of people on will

And guess what? Because he had his hair cutted by a woman, God decided to punish him by depriving him of his stretch, until his hair grown back.
And THIS is the God The Bible is teaching us to worship for?? Seriously??

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:08AM EDT
Quote

@Hypercat-Z: The Bible also says never to plant two types of crop in the same field (crop rotation) and to never weave two types of material into the same article of clothing (polyester-cotton blends). Most Catholics I knew took the majority of the book with a pinch of salt. My grandmother used to say that any passage she did not agree with or that sounded stupid was little more than a law placed in the bible to convince ancient people that their government was working on the word of God.

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:25AM EDT
Quote

@Daniel

I assumed. Beg my pardon.


@BacktoMack

Thank you


@Hypercat

Need any help burning that strawman? I got some spare matches if you need them

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:46AM EDT
Quote

Derp Banned wrote:

If you are a non believer in something i.e. a normal person going through life, you are not labeled by the stuff you don’t believe in. By calling yourself an atheist you are labeling yourself as a non believer in something you don’t believe in in the first place. A normal person doesn’t need to label that they don’t believe in UFOs so same should be said with religion. I am a normal person, my religion or lack thereof is mine and mine alone.

Well, there is a huge differance between the belief in God and the belief in UFOs. If I’m not mistaken, the majority of People in the world are theists, so not believing In god is not really the norm. So you couldnt be called a normal person while the rest are called theist. Anyways, the fact you don’t believe in god is a belief in itself. You have thought about it and you came to the conclusion that their is no god. That isn’t a lack of belief.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:51AM EDT
Quote

I don’t want to label myself an Atheist really, but I haven’t gone to church in 10 years and I just don’t really spend very much time thinking about that kind of stuff.

I guess there is always the possibility that there is a deity, and if he is all knowing and all powerful it would be really simple for him to manipulate his will upon us without us knowing about it or being aware of his presence.

The problem is that, unless we have proof about an actual force or being with god status, religion is basically just blindly following the rules or morals of books people wrote thousands of years ago.
Luckily most of the morals in religious scripts are productive to a modern society, but there is always those few crazy guy who interpret it weird and use it as an excuse to launch hateful and intolerant movements against their fellow humans, which is pretty much the exact opposite of the sense of love and tolerance that Jesus and the other spiritual teachers taught.

So I guess if i was anything I would be agnostic.
I’m open to new ideals and I am by no means against religion (I think that most religions have wonderful moral codes to adhere too), I just have trouble believing in most of the more fantastical stuff that they teach.

Last edited Aug 28, 2012 at 03:09PM EDT
Aug 28, 2012 at 03:07PM EDT
Quote

@Dac the non bender
If there where no benders you wouldn’t be called a non bender now would you?
You would just be Dac.

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:44PM EDT
Quote

Derp Banned wrote:

@Dac the non bender
If there where no benders you wouldn’t be called a non bender now would you?
You would just be Dac.

True. But the fact is that there are benders, therefore that is irrelevant. The same with religion. The same could be said for just about everything.

Last edited Aug 28, 2012 at 08:24PM EDT
Aug 28, 2012 at 08:14PM EDT
Quote

Well, according to String Theory, they’re finding computer code deep into the strands of the universe. Computer code is what DNA mainly consists of. Why not believe in a god if that’s the case?

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:19PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Well, according to String Theory, they’re finding computer code deep into the strands of the universe. Computer code is what DNA mainly consists of. Why not believe in a god if that’s the case?

I have absolutely no idea how that works. Like, the universe was programmed on Java, or what?

On another note: Has anybody here ever heard of Quantum Immortality? From how I understand it, the idea is that every time something with more than one outcome occurs, two diverging universes exist for each outcome. The result is that, given enough iterations, there exists a universe in which you never die, defeating all odds and surviving everything. Hugh Everett believed that one’s consciousness is bound to follow whichever path does not lead to death. Jacques Mallah disliked the theory because he believed that there was a risk that a modern religion would spring up around it, promising eternal life in at least one universe, and would result in mass suicides and fanaticism.

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:48PM EDT
Quote

@Futurekyle

[Citationneeded]

I have only done a minor amount of study on String theory but I am pretty sure strings do not operate in binary

Also I heard they disproved String theory

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:20PM EDT
Quote
Also I heard they disproved String theory

Where did you hear that? It was an interesting theory, and I’d like to see what they came up with to disprove it, if they actually did.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:02PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

True. But the fact is that there are benders, therefore that is irrelevant. The same with religion. The same could be said for just about everything.

Exactly. The same CAN be said about everything else so why not religion? Why not Zoidberg?
Why do you need to label everything? Why can’t I be just a normal human being? why does religion have to define me and everyone else on a planet that has had more wars and death over a deity?

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:30AM EDT
Quote

@derpy vasquez
Why should we label ourselves by the country we live in when land grabbing, imperialism, and jingoism has caused countless wars? What about money, drugs, race, power, natural resources? What about kids in Africa dying for diamonds and rare metals? And correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the Stalinist regime godless? The whole religion=war argument is really just a red herring argument. Even in most holy wars, gaining power was the driving force behined it. Evil can be found everywhere. Don’t think the lack of religion would create a perfect world.
Anyways, you realize you aren’t being asked to wear a scarlet A on your clothes. You aren’t asked to state it anywhere really. It’s just a word that means you don’t believe in god. Are you really that botherd by that? Anyways, until vast majority of the world is atheist, you can’t be labeled normal while the rest are thiests. Are you saying thiests are abnormal?

Last edited Aug 29, 2012 at 01:02AM EDT
Aug 29, 2012 at 12:52AM EDT
Quote

Hi my name is daniel non imperialist. A non believer in UFOs, religions, benders and labels. My life long dream is to one day be told by others what I should believe in because they were told the same lies that were told to their mothers and fathers as told to them by their mothers and fathers as told by……..
Do you even know history and where your deity comes from? And I’m not talking the bible. Man has been calling simple things in nature gods since they where Neanderthals. So tell me again how I’m wrong and your right and all I was saying in the first place was that I think labeling ones self as a non believer in something I don’t believe in is stupid in and of itself.
Let’s go ahead and fight over a thread that only asked do you believe. Let’s go ahead and force your opinion on others and maybe they will go WOW you know I was using rational thought before but since someone wants to force their opinions maybe I’m wrong.

I really don’t want to argue or force my opinion either but don’t think for a minute that I don’t know about the bible and religion and don’t think for a minute that I would not derail this thread in a heartbeat just for fun.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:52AM EDT
Quote

I sense this is heating up.

Dac and Daniel, can you two agree to disagree?

We’ve been doing so well so far and I’d hate to have our record end here. Furthermore I’d hate to see Mac find a reason to change his judgement. Lets not disappoint him


@Jackal

Just rumors from a few years ago when String theory was first announced. NewScientist did a massive article on it and found that it struggled to match some observations. However that was then, maybe new developments have been found. A quick Google search shows that the theory has much more weight than it did years ago.

But skepticism is as strong now as it was in 2009. It may not be dis-proven but it isn’t for certain either.

We’re getting off topic though, take any further questions to the Science General thread

Last edited Aug 29, 2012 at 04:22AM EDT
Aug 29, 2012 at 04:16AM EDT
Quote

Damnit Tarllok and Derpy, this is EXACTLY what I meant by monotonous arguments at the top of the page. You two can argue all ya want, but it’ll get you nowhere!

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:43AM EDT
Quote

@derpy

I was never arguing about religion, It was just about the term “athieist” and why it’s not a big deal. You turned it into that. I’ll take BSODs advice here, I wont continue.

So anyways, a while ago, a worlds religion class I was in took a trip to a couple places of worship. The religion that stuck with me was buddhism. Such an amazing religion. Ever since then, I’ve dreamed of going to India and Tibet to visit the temples.

Last edited Aug 29, 2012 at 10:08AM EDT
Aug 29, 2012 at 09:39AM EDT
Quote

Yeah I do. In the History Channel, they said he’s a 4th dimensional being. No use arguing with that, I guess…

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:12AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I sense this is heating up.

Dac and Daniel, can you two agree to disagree?

We’ve been doing so well so far and I’d hate to have our record end here. Furthermore I’d hate to see Mac find a reason to change his judgement. Lets not disappoint him


@Jackal

Just rumors from a few years ago when String theory was first announced. NewScientist did a massive article on it and found that it struggled to match some observations. However that was then, maybe new developments have been found. A quick Google search shows that the theory has much more weight than it did years ago.

But skepticism is as strong now as it was in 2009. It may not be dis-proven but it isn’t for certain either.

We’re getting off topic though, take any further questions to the Science General thread

This. Thanks, BSoD.

We’re doing so well, guys. If you must argue, can you do it via your walls or something?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:36AM EDT
Quote

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

This. Thanks, BSoD.

We’re doing so well, guys. If you must argue, can you do it via your walls or something?

Well gee, it’s not like I posted that I wouldn’t continue like an hour ago, OK!

But seriously, have you guys ever heard of Jainism?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:46AM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

Well gee, it’s not like I posted that I wouldn’t continue like an hour ago, OK!

But seriously, have you guys ever heard of Jainism?

The name rings a bell, but I don’t know anything about it other than that. What is it?

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:32PM EDT
Quote

It’s an Indian religion that states that every being has a soul, therefore we should treat every thing as we would treat ourselves. It’s just amazing how devoted the are. They respect even the smallest insect.

Also, read this guys. It’s a pretty good cracked article.
10 things Christians and atheists mus agree on Cracked.com

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:11PM EDT
Quote

Ohh, is that similar to the sect of Buddhism in which practitioners wear screens over their mouths so they don’t accidentally swallow bugs?

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:37PM EDT
Quote

Yeah, pretty much.

I thought I would post some temples from Asia that are just amazing.

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:54PM EDT
Quote

Hay Dac for real I’m not mad at all and I didn’t want to ague. I just wanted to post my opinion. That’s all. No hard feelings.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:27PM EDT
Quote

It’s cool bud, no hard feelings.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:37PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

It’s cool bud, no hard feelings.

I love you man. I really really do love you.
NO HOMO

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:12PM EDT
Quote

Ugh, the old “You don’t identify as a non-stamp collector, why do you identify as a non-theist?” argument rears its ugly head again

The term atheist exists because it describes a philosophical viewpoint set significantly apart from the general standard. It’s the same reason you can describe yourself as a vegetarian or vegan: Most people eat meat, and it’s therefore a valuable distinction in terms of describing a position. Also, when half the country tries to legislate laws specified in its religion onto the rest of the population, sometimes identifying your viewpoint becomes an important thing. I’m mainly referring about fundamentalists in the U.S.(Gay marriage ban,) Possibility of ban on birth control )

Last edited Aug 31, 2012 at 12:22AM EDT
Aug 31, 2012 at 12:19AM EDT
Quote

This thread actually convinced me to get a profile here. I’ve never seen a saner discussion on this topic in my life.
I’ll keep it short: yes.

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:19AM EDT
Quote

@Naming argument

@Dac

What exactly is it about Buddhism that you found attractive if you don’t mind my asking. I’ve always been sympathetic towards Buddhism, might even be a Buddhist if I didn’t find it to be philosophically untennable.

Aug 31, 2012 at 09:20PM EDT
Quote

I’m a 13-year-old girl so try to take me seriously…

I was raised Christian but after awhile I realized that Christianity had turned me super judgemental. I hated all athiests and gays, I believed that I would go to hell if I touched myself , I thought that evolution was a weird theory and crap like that.

My views changed after a while and now look back and realize that nothing I believed in made any sense. So now I am agnostic, don’t get me wrong, I do believe that their is a higher power, but I believe that it is no species or gender. I believe it is an intelligent matter that really doesn’t care what we do as long as we are not hurting anyone… that makes sense right? I believe in evolution and I don’t believe in hell so I don’t mind athiests, I love gays, and I don’t care if you fap you’re entire life away, I don’t care. now and I always love and tolerate.

Also, I have self respect so I don’t do stupid things just because I don’t believe in hell.

Becoming Agnostic really helped me find out who I really am and made me realize that there are WAY bigger problems besides that ones that Christians usually worry about.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:45PM EDT
Quote

It’s been 25 days since this thread was made and we have not descended into douche-baggery

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 03:16PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 03:16PM EDT
Quote

Spider-byte wrote:

I say I don’t believe but I think it is possible of a deity I just highly doubt it. If there is I don’t like god his infinite power and he could guide humanity but he chooses not to.

If he forced his guidance, he would simply prove his existence. And the rest follows:

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 04:06PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 04:05PM EDT
Quote

Where’s the shitstorm? Where’s the rustled jimmies? I can’t troll to this!

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT
Quote

I’m going to half-ass this question and say: God exists if you believe in him. I’m personally agnostic. I’ve tried finding my perfect religion. I tried Islam, I studied Judaism, I tried being Christian…I came to a conclusion:
I don’t want to be a theist, nor an atheist. I don’t want to believe or not believe in God. The world is too bias when it comes to religion that I’d rather not get involved. I mean, I still own a few religious books (personal collection, don’t ask), but it’s for studying, rather than for my beliefs. So, therefor, the answer is neither a yes or a no.

I feel I made overly complicated too much.

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT
Quote

@Deus

Some sentences are truth-functionally true, this means they are true based on their structure alone, not on their content.

The sentence “X or not X” is one such sentence. It doesn’t matter what X stands for, that sentence is true. To assume otherwise leads to contradiction. Ergo, for you to say that “‘I either believe or do not believe in God’ is false” is logically impossible.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT
Quote

Nope. The concept of God doesn’t click in my brain.
I was raised in a home that didn’t talk about religion, so I was never told whether or not I should believe in God.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:36AM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

@Deus

Some sentences are truth-functionally true, this means they are true based on their structure alone, not on their content.

The sentence “X or not X” is one such sentence. It doesn’t matter what X stands for, that sentence is true. To assume otherwise leads to contradiction. Ergo, for you to say that “‘I either believe or do not believe in God’ is false” is logically impossible.

And I thought I had made the perfect speech, too. I guess I need to work on my English a little more.

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:12AM EDT
Quote

Count Lionel wrote:

I have absolutely no idea how that works. Like, the universe was programmed on Java, or what?

On another note: Has anybody here ever heard of Quantum Immortality? From how I understand it, the idea is that every time something with more than one outcome occurs, two diverging universes exist for each outcome. The result is that, given enough iterations, there exists a universe in which you never die, defeating all odds and surviving everything. Hugh Everett believed that one’s consciousness is bound to follow whichever path does not lead to death. Jacques Mallah disliked the theory because he believed that there was a risk that a modern religion would spring up around it, promising eternal life in at least one universe, and would result in mass suicides and fanaticism.

Honestly if religious fanatics would suicide alone it would be a great thing IMHO.
The problem is it’s the same kind of fanatics that would bring their beloved ones with them, even against their will… “for their sake”.

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:07PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!