Forums / Discussion / General

171,659 total conversations in 5,628 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Syrian Conflict

Last posted Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT. Added Aug 22, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT
156 posts from 39 users

In my opinion, Syria is not the biggest threat to the U.S. and/or the U.K. It’s Syria’s allies like Russia that concerns me. Yesterday, Putin sent warships to the Mediterranean Sea to protect Syria. Putin and Assad are two of the most dangerous men in the world right now.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:23PM EDT

We should stop wasting money on the on these pointless wars. I mean the middle east is already screwed up we should stop screwing it up even more

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:06PM EDT

Preston wrote:

We should stop wasting money on the on these pointless wars. I mean the middle east is already screwed up we should stop screwing it up even more

I don’t think it’s possible for the situation to get even more screwed up by this point. There was a BBC report today about a school that was hit by an incendiary bomb. Apparently the fighter which dropped the bomb had flown overhead a few time before the attack, indicating that the pilot was deliberately seeking out targets and it wasn’t an accidental strike. You can’t get much more fucked up than that.

I’ve seen enough video footage of the horrors to come from that conflict to know that our problems pale in comparison to theirs. People were making very similar arguments to yours over on the BBC website, with many of them saying that it would be better for us to save our money in order to improve our own healthcare or education. The problem with that argument is that our healthcare and education are both already of excellent quality, while some people in Syria can’t walk down their streets without coming under sniper fire. I think they need our wealth more than we do.

So anyway, yesterday I was talking about the UK’s decision to not intervene, and I said:

I’m also willing to bet that the votes against an intervention came primarily from the Labour party. In British politics, it’s not about doing what you think is right; it’s about making sure your party is in power next election. Chances are we’ll find that most Conservatives voted ‘yes’ because our Conservative Prime Minister is in favour, most of Labour voted ‘no’ because they’ll do anything to get in the way of the Conservatives, and the Liberal Democrats just did their usual thing of flailing around wildly.

And you know what? I fucking called it. In fact, it was even worse than I’d feared.

The British vote had nothing to do with what our politicians actually wanted to happen. It was just another game of “let’s piss off the opposing party”. It annoys me when they do this sort of thing over little things like tax changes or small tweaks to existing laws, but there are thousands of lives at stake here. If it had turned out that the votes were almost evenly split throughout the parties, that might have restored some of my faith in the political process, regardless of what the result would have been. Instead, my faith levels are rapidly approaching zero. Good job, British politicians.

Last edited Aug 30, 2013 at 04:55PM EDT
Aug 30, 2013 at 04:53PM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

In my opinion, Syria is not the biggest threat to the U.S. and/or the U.K. It’s Syria’s allies like Russia that concerns me. Yesterday, Putin sent warships to the Mediterranean Sea to protect Syria. Putin and Assad are two of the most dangerous men in the world right now.

>inb4 Cold War 2.0

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:31PM EDT

Still Erin wrote:

>inb4 Cold War 2.0

A second Cold War seems inevitable.

Aug 30, 2013 at 06:06PM EDT

@Chowz

Syria is not the biggest threat to the U.S. and/or the U.K. It’s Syria’s allies like Russia that concerns me.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Syria is a threat to the US

Right now Syria is the biggest threat to itself. We’re not talking about Syria because we are worried about what it can do to us, we’re worried about the entire Syrian nation being reduced to nothing blood and ashes and it’s leaders staying in power so they can do it again.

Nobody wants another cold war. Not even Russia. They might threaten to bring it to that if the US openly attempts to unseat the Assad regime but I seriously doubt the US will do anything if it means coming into conflict with Russia and Iran simultaneously.

Yesterday, Putin sent warships to the Mediterranean Sea to protect Syria.

Apparently there is a Russian naval base on the Syrian coast. Most likely the ships are there to beef up the security of their own naval base.

It’s not like Putin actually gives a shit about Syria. He’s looking out for Russia’s own interests. Assad is just a bunch of dollar bills to Putin

Putin and Assad are two of the most dangerous men in the world right now.

That they are

@Algy

Goddam. Why are our parliaments always like that? It seems every democratic vote is nothing but a pissing match between the red and the blue party.

This is why I voted for Green instead of National or Labour. Because at least they have a clear goal that isn’t “the opposite of what the other party is doing”

Last edited Aug 30, 2013 at 11:32PM EDT
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT

Word Up! You must login or signup first!