Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Star found eating planet

Last posted Aug 24, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT. Added Aug 22, 2012 at 08:09PM EDT
15 posts from 13 users

That planet looks like it's forming a shield to prevent the star from eating it.

Either way, it sounds like that star has an eating problem.

Mexx Android wrote:

A star devouring planets?

Devouring planets….

Shit,

It's Galactus pet!

Damn, you beat me to it.

I wonder if the ANTI SPIRAL MASTER counts.

From TTGL. If you don't get the reference, then you haven't been spoiled. Yet.

Space is awesome. This was on Cracked recently as well (One of their lists of things in space that will TOTALLY BLOW YOUR MIND)

The planet in question is a supermassive gas giant so there is a lot for the star to eat before the planet vanishes but the planet is losing several million metric tons of gas each second, or something along those lines.

The planet is also tidally locked with the star (like how our moon is tidally locked with earth) and has developed a football shape due to the immense pressures acting upon it. It's orbiting incredibly fast too.

I've just had a thought. A black hole is the result of a star's live ending and going nova. And it's possible, assuming that imploded star had a planet in its system, said planet could be consumed by the black hole. Therefore, if the situation described takes place somewhere within the cosmos, then the black hole is in fact itself a star eating a planet.

Syllogism!

Papa Coolface wrote:

The star moves throughout the galaxy, devouring entire worlds… soon it will reach a certain blue planet….

STELLAR DEVOURER 2012!

It's going to reach Neptune?

Dr. Richard "Dick" Ballzenall Jr. wrote:

If our sun starts killing life on Earth, the life on our Martian Colonies will start to die out as well, if I' not mistaken. Either death or a huge air conditioning bill will befall our Martian descendants. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Life on mars wouldn't start dying out at the same time, I don't think. As the sun expanded, the zones of habitability would shift, meaning that while Earth is frying, Mars could be temperate for a few years/decades.

Still, such a change would affect a lot of the colonists' work, because they were previously dealing with subzero temperatures most of the time.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!