Forums / Discussion / General

232,749 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

Don't you hate movie trailers when...

Last posted Oct 10, 2012 at 04:13PM EDT. Added Aug 23, 2012 at 05:57AM EDT
28 posts from 21 users

…when they spoil too much of the story or they mislead you to what the movie is about?

Take for example Prime: The trailer promised a funny comedy about a woman that has a relationship with the son of her psicanalist and no one of them does know that. The movie was a sad story, with few LOL moments, about a woman that tried to accomplish a relationship with a man younger than her and didn't succed in it. Even my girlfriend was disappointed.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I also hate hearing "Get ready for the motion event of the year!" and variations of it.

Every promo that says that essentially tells me that the film was shat out during a producers lunch break

Also when they take short clips of the dialogue and mix them together, then the character never says that in the movie. That mainly happens in CGI movie ads.

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 10:20AM EDT

I hate it when there are deep voiced speakers… you know what I mean…
and cut phrases and add them into a black background with caption…

wow, we are totally hipsters right now..

The trailer for that movie "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" or whatever, pretty much spoiled everything about the movie. It explains the whole movie (Guy finds dog, dog waits for him whenever he arrives home from work, guy dies, dog continues to wait for the guy until it dies) in just a minute and a half.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I also hate hearing "Get ready for the motion event of the year!" and variations of it.

Every promo that says that essentially tells me that the film was shat out during a producers lunch break

Yeah! That sounds so cheap!

This trope is called Never Trust a Trailer.

One of the examples I know best is for The Truman Show, which is basically about a guy who's entire life is a TV show. Jim Carrey was the lead, so they used shots of him acting like a fool to capitalize on his success in comedy and make the film look like a farce. The reality (no pun intended) is that the film is much darker; Truman was born as a sort of corporate slave, and his entire life has been a fabrication made to entertain the entire world. His entire life has been on camera, and he has been unknowingly held against his will on a huge TV set made to look like a small town. It's a very good film, and it deconstructed Reality television before it became popular. So in short, it was nothing like what the trailer made it look like.

Fridge wrote:

This trope is called Never Trust a Trailer.

One of the examples I know best is for The Truman Show, which is basically about a guy who's entire life is a TV show. Jim Carrey was the lead, so they used shots of him acting like a fool to capitalize on his success in comedy and make the film look like a farce. The reality (no pun intended) is that the film is much darker; Truman was born as a sort of corporate slave, and his entire life has been a fabrication made to entertain the entire world. His entire life has been on camera, and he has been unknowingly held against his will on a huge TV set made to look like a small town. It's a very good film, and it deconstructed Reality television before it became popular. So in short, it was nothing like what the trailer made it look like.

I saw that movie, and I enjoyed it. Carrey wasn't half bad in it, not at all, but yeah, that trope pretty much says what to expect when it comes from trailers.

Don't trust them, don't trust them at all.

I hate movie trailers that appear to be about a talking kangaroo, but are actually about a normal kangaroo that talks briefly during a dream sequence.

Plus, that movie sucked.

You know what, forget what I said. I hate trailers that make a shitty movie look interesting.

@Random 21

(I'm quoting you from 4 days ago, is this thread really that old? Sheesh, I totally forgot about it.)

Anyway, you are showing a quote from a critic claiming "best movie of the year." but that is not really what I meant.

I'm talking about that same damn catch phrase that gets recycled in between clips by so many promo's: "Get ready…[clip]…for the X…[clip]…OF THE YEAR!". I've heard it many times…usually from shitty movies

Wightprincess wrote:

I hate movie trailers that appear to be about a talking kangaroo, but are actually about a normal kangaroo that talks briefly during a dream sequence.

Plus, that movie sucked.

You know what, forget what I said. I hate trailers that make a shitty movie look interesting.

They did the exact same thing with this goddamn movie:

I hate it when they only put in the funny parts and lead you to believe that the movie is funnier than it really is. I also hate it when they put in a bunch of cheesy sounds effects and puns

Ex: Alvin and the chipmunks: Chipwrecked, coming out on chipmunk chewsday! (tuesday)

Like… really?

Sam wrote:

I hate it when they only put in the funny parts and lead you to believe that the movie is funnier than it really is. I also hate it when they put in a bunch of cheesy sounds effects and puns

Ex: Alvin and the chipmunks: Chipwrecked, coming out on chipmunk chewsday! (tuesday)

Like… really?

You can not comprehend how annoying Chipwrecked is until you have experienced the Xbox Live ads. It is ALWAYS THERE whenever you sign in. It makes you want to punch the smirk right off that chipmunk's face.

Wightprincess wrote:

Plus, that movie sucked.

Holy crap, I remember seeing that on a DVD box once.

Also, War Horse was overrated.

I thought it was way too melodramatic. Gave more diabetes than, say, a crossover duo between Damien Wayne and Stephanie Brown.

So why does it get a tack of awards in the commercials?

For the most part they follow a set design. All the title fonts and colors are pre-selected to follow this model. All trailers are cut not even with the best parts of the movie but with parts that will set a tone for what it's about, then add music and titles. The music and how it's cut can set the tone completely different from what the movie is really about.

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 02:41AM EDT

Derpy Vaz wrote:

For the most part they follow a set design. All the title fonts and colors are pre-selected to follow this model. All trailers are cut not even with the best parts of the movie but with parts that will set a tone for what it's about, then add music and titles. The music and how it's cut can set the tone completely different from what the movie is really about.

At the moment, I'm studying advertising, and today we were discussing movie trailers.

This is pretty much what I actually said.

Derpy Vaz wrote:

That's the REAL trailer of the movie with the "Here's Johnny!" scene? Not a fan-made one?

Hypercat-Z wrote:

That's the REAL trailer of the movie with the "Here's Johnny!" scene? Not a fan-made one?

No, it's fan-made. THE Shining is the original movie. It's really a psychological horror movie, based on a Stephen King story, so it's pretty scary. But if you take those scenes out of context, like they did, add a happy, peppy song in the background, and add a cheery, vanilla Times New Roman font for the title, it looks like a nice family film. But really… NOPE.

This one was a secondary trailer:

THOSE are a lot more like the actual movie. That's the difference some music and choice of scenes can make by looking at the same movie, cut two different ways.

Lodger (1979) wrote:

Also when they take short clips of the dialogue and mix them together, then the character never says that in the movie. That mainly happens in CGI movie ads.

Oh yes. They did that in the Dark Knight Rises trailer #3. Towards the end Blake's voice from conversation with Selena is placed over the footage and they've edited it so that he appears to ask "Why would you run….Bane?" & Selena responds with "You should be as afraid of him as I am." Blake actually asks Selena "Why would you run from Bane?"
Guess they didn't want to portray the major female protagonist as being frightened and running away from the big strong manly villain guy.

Just thought I'd point that out.

This is the gooddamn trailer that made me and my lady think this movie…

…was as funny as THIS movie!

Only the second trailer is honest.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!