Forums / Discussion / General

168,593 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread


Current worst meme ever?

Last posted Sep 04, 2012 at 12:06AM EDT. Added Aug 25, 2012 at 07:08AM EDT
49 posts from 39 users

I’m just wondering if Dolan is the worst one or is there someone or something that blows more than that homicidal,rapist duck.

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:08AM EDT
Quote

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

The fanbase, specifically. The show itself is great, but I hate 70% of those bronies. The other 30% are usually cool.

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:09AM EDT

Damn, I came in here just about to say “NB4 MLP”.

But at least MLP and Dolan still have supporters. The same cannot be said for Arrow to the Knee which nobody likes. I nominate Arrow to the knee

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:52AM EDT
Quote

By thread title, I am assuming a meme you hate?

I can’t decide :c, I like pretty much all confirmed memes.

If I were to pick I would pick trollface. Felt indifferent back in 2008 when I didn’t use facebook. Now I see it slapped everywhere with wrong usage, it irks me.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:54AM EDT
Quote

I never really understood the whole skull trumpet thing that was just on a few weeks ago.

Other than that, Arrow to the Knee was a fine meme before being overused and beaten to death faster than anything I’ve ever seen.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:54AM EDT
Quote

Moving to General.

Also, be careful about incendiary language. We don’t want to get into a flamewar.

I could answer this in a couple of ways. The “worst” meme and my least favorite.

Some of my least favorite memes are Advice Animals/People. I often find that they are a one-trick pony. You have the stereotype of a person or attributes of some random animal, and you make statements that they would make. It’s no more than, well, joking about stereotypes. (I do like , though, in part, because there’s a variation for each parent.)

I would say that the “worst” memes are one that have little variation and mutation. Advice Animals fall into that territory. You can only do a couple of things with them (well, just one.) Rebecca Black would even be better, because you can make fun of the lyrics, the singing, the actual quality of the song, the video, the dancing…

It spawned gifs and image macros. It’s something that sprung up out of nowhere (which makes it a little more novel than what are Advice Dog deviations). It had parodies and mainstream spread. In terms of being good at being spread and communicated as a meme with a shared understanding, Advice Animals play off of stereotypes you already knew about. Rebecca Black, MLP: FiM, furries, RickRolling, Forever Alone, and many others are known for being themselves.
 
Dolan, in that sense, is a good meme, but I’m not a huge fan of it either.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:09AM EDT
Quote

None of them. I think every meme has its own likable qualities, otherwise it wouldn’t become viral.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT
Quote

I have to agree with Verbose about advice animals, but for a different reason. Besides the casual racism presented in many Advice Animals, they are perhaps the one meme that has recieved the most mainstream recognition. It’s gotten to the point where any schmuck on Facebook can add impact text to a picture, put it up, and incorrectly call it a full meme, instead of what it is, which is a single image macro. People have started full pages on single topics with many different pictures and called them all memes. I feel like whenever one of my friends mentions liking a “meme” and it’s just a macro, I have to set them straight. It annoys me, and it probably annoys them. That’s why I think Cheezburger is doing right by trying to educate people about the memes they keep posting, although I think they could be doing just a bit more. In the long run, it’s been very good since the purchased the site, for us and them, due to the fact that we get more readership and recognition and their viewership is hopefully educating themselves about memes.

Rage Comics are a close second for the same reason; when the tools became so that anyone could make a comic in five minutes, they got really old, really fast. Add the fact that they make new, stupid faces every other week, and they use “Le” every other second, and we’ve got a pretty bad meme.

Overall, I think memes don’t become “bad,” I think it’s more that they enter the mainstream and become incredibly overused, which makes us resent them.

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 11:25AM EDT
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:24AM EDT
Quote

Macro-like advice animals, for me as well.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:42AM EDT
Quote

I think you moved this thread into Meme Research by accident, Verbose. That or my computer’s glitchy.
Moved again.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
Quote

I hate the Advice Animal Spin-offs…
It’s just too much and I don’t even know much of them confirmed memes.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:58PM EDT
Quote

Lolcats. It’s just stupid pictures of cats with horrible spelling. 2/10 would not meme again.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:53PM EDT

This is now the “Why we all hate advice animal spinoffs” thread.

I would honestly have to say that, while I have no problem with image macros that are legit memes, it does drive me up the wall when people think that’s what a meme is. I honestly think impact has become the new comic sans, and 80% of all the illegit entries we get are image macros.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:58PM EDT
Quote

Your profile picture, because it isn’t one.

But really, probably Dolan, but if I were to voice my true opinions, I would be downvoted heavily.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:00PM EDT
Quote

Is it me or was planking extremely stupid?

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT
Quote

That Ecce Homo painting is getting on my nerves at an alarming rate. It’s not that I think it’s sacrilegious or offensive or anything, it’s just not funny at all to me and it’s pretty big right now.

Also, lolcats are dumb.

And though I’m indifferent to the “5ever” meme itself, I HATE the video version of it.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:37PM EDT
Quote

YOLO, Swag, Arrow to the Knee, and all of the other abominations that escaped into real life.

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT
Quote

I also agree with Zipperbars.

I won’t go anywhere NEAR the show because of the extremely annoying vocal majority. I wouldn’t have gone near it anyway, of course, but you get the idea.

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:47PM EDT
Quote

YOLO.

It doesn’t sound badass when you say the acronym, it just sounds like you stopped short of a yodel.
Maybe if it was “You Only Live Once” and not just “YOLO” it would sound acceptable BUT NO,
IT HAS TO SOUND AS WEIRD AS POSSIBLE

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:51PM EDT
Quote

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

YOLO.

It doesn’t sound badass when you say the acronym, it just sounds like you stopped short of a yodel.
Maybe if it was “You Only Live Once” and not just “YOLO” it would sound acceptable BUT NO,
IT HAS TO SOUND AS WEIRD AS POSSIBLE

I see it alot.
Especially on clan tags on FPS’ and it makes me want to kill myself when I see it in real life.
It’s also generally annoying to see it all the time on Facebook.

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT
Quote

In my opinion 90% of memes suck, simply because 90% of them are crappy image macros.

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT
Quote

YOLO is the only answer.

It’s basically a fad for suburban fake hip-hop kids (people who’s knowledge of hip-hop is just whatever comes on mainstream radio, unwilling to explore other decades and genres). It’s so over abused right now, nothing comes close.

Dolan may look dumb, but that’s the whole point. It’s supposed to be dumb and utilize “black comedy” (look it up in wikipedia). possibly ruining your childhood if you’re not careful.

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:36PM EDT
Quote

Dinner wrote:

In my opinion 90% of memes suck, simply because 90% of them are crappy image macros.

One of the ancient laws of the internet (and media in general) in action here… nothing to see here, move along.


as for an answer to th OPS question: Dolan, Advice Animals, Arrow to the Knee, YOLO, LE among others.
yet again I don’t have the time (and nor does anyone else) to list off 90% of the memes here, so I’ll just stop here.

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 07:18PM EDT
Aug 25, 2012 at 07:09PM EDT
Quote

Nyan Cat.

One thing that it has common with MLP is that you hear about both way too fucking much.

But the thing is, MLP is actually good. Nyan Cat is just fucking annoying and makes me want to scream.

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:33PM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Nyan Cat.

One thing that it has common with MLP is that you hear about both way too fucking much.

But the thing is, MLP is actually good. Nyan Cat is just fucking annoying and makes me want to scream.

That and the manages to overshadow the original video/meme, that came nine months before Nyan Cat.

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:55PM EDT
Quote

I see a lot of people basing their arguments on “I hate it because I see it so much”. How about basing your arguments on what terrible things the meme has actually caused?

It’s natural to dislike something you are overexposed toward but that doesn’t make it the worst meme ever. It just makes it something you have seen enough of and I don’t feel that is what this thread is about.

I voted for Arrow to the Knee at first purely because it gets so much hate and I figured there may be a reason why, but in retrospect it’s no different from any other meme in terms of destructiveness/vileness and causes no more harm other than stifling creativity. It is merely a victim of its own success.

A meme that has actually done more harm than good is something I would consider the worst meme ever. So I change my vote to any meme that has actually caused more unjustified pain/shame/distraught than the lulz it brought. Can we think of any?

•We can’t just point at poorly constructed memes (Anything in the deadpool) because they don’t become memes and don’t have enough impact to be the worst of them all.

•We can’t just point at overused memes (Nyan, Arrow) because that implies that those memes were at one point a huge success.

•We can’t point at fandoms (Furries, MLP, Sonic) because they are evidently successful to have become fandoms. Besides, the actions of the fandom don’t necessarily make the meme itself terrible

•We can’t point at intentionally bad memes (Dolan, Rage comics) because being the worst is entirely the goal and thus makes them successful

•I think the down syndrome advice animals come close for being tasteless.

•YOLO could be considered for being stupid and encouraging more stupidity

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:28PM EDT
Quote

Rin Tezuka wrote:

That and the manages to overshadow the original video/meme, that came nine months before Nyan Cat.

Yeah, people see MyonMyonMyonMyonMyonMyonMyonMyon and they think NYAN CAT!

I think FALCON PUNCH!

I’m not a fan of the Myon meme, but it’s less annoying than Nyan Cat

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:24PM EDT
Quote

Hmm…well, I know I guy who thought that the only “memes” were Rage faces. I showed him another meme one day, and he looked at me like I was an alien and said, “That’s not a meme.” I facepalmed IRL.

Now then, I agree with Fridge Logic, except the other way around. Rage Comics are just overused and annoying, and their format can irritate me. Actually, Reddit and 9gag (the two biggest Rage Comics-hosting sites) sort of piss me off sometimes. Take this below image as an example.

See what I mean? Now, not all Rage Comics are like this, just most of ‘em. I don’t like really forced, unfunny Advice Animals either, just because they don’t feel like they should be considered memes, just image macros. My irritation is yours, Fridge Logic. I know that feel bro.

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT
Aug 25, 2012 at 10:27PM EDT
Quote

Trollkeeper wrote:

Hmm…well, I know I guy who thought that the only “memes” were Rage faces. I showed him another meme one day, and he looked at me like I was an alien and said, “That’s not a meme.” I facepalmed IRL.

Now then, I agree with Fridge Logic, except the other way around. Rage Comics are just overused and annoying, and their format can irritate me. Actually, Reddit and 9gag (the two biggest Rage Comics-hosting sites) sort of piss me off sometimes. Take this below image as an example.

See what I mean? Now, not all Rage Comics are like this, just most of ‘em. I don’t like really forced, unfunny Advice Animals either, just because they don’t feel like they should be considered memes, just image macros. My irritation is yours, Fridge Logic. I know that feel bro.

I downvote every ragecomic and advice animal spinoff on Reddit without even reading them because I actually browse Reddit for SERIOUS and INFORMATIVE content

Shocking, I know.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:24AM EDT
Quote

The majority of Memes are getting damn old.
Honestly I can’t stand hearing them anywhere outside the internet because I guess people outside the web can’t fucking express themselves normally and have to use at least one meme per sentence. And even online it really bothers me when people quote a meme out of context.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT

Any meme used wrongly stinks like a fresh baked turd.
But I think that some advice animals are simply useless. The ones like Philosoraptor or Joseph Ducreux or Bad Luck Brian are awesome, because you can always think of other ideas. But ones like Musically Oblivious 8 Grader and Insanity Wolf are simply pointless.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:54AM EDT
Quote

“Arrow to the knee”, “Nope! Chuck Testa”

That is all

EDIT
anything that is 9fag.

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 03:22AM EDT
Aug 26, 2012 at 03:21AM EDT
Quote

NeonWabbit wrote:

I downvote every ragecomic and advice animal spinoff on Reddit without even reading them because I actually browse Reddit for SERIOUS and INFORMATIVE content

Shocking, I know.

Is there any?

Actually, there would be, wouldn’t there? Perhaps news stories? Maybe?? I don’t know!

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:07AM EDT
Quote

Digoxin wrote:

Any meme used wrongly stinks like a fresh baked turd.
But I think that some advice animals are simply useless. The ones like Philosoraptor or Joseph Ducreux or Bad Luck Brian are awesome, because you can always think of other ideas. But ones like Musically Oblivious 8 Grader and Insanity Wolf are simply pointless.

Gotta agree.Courage Wolf and Different Linguistiche are both horrible too.Are those memes suppose to be funny?

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:12AM EDT
Quote

Trollkeeper wrote:

Hmm…well, I know I guy who thought that the only “memes” were Rage faces. I showed him another meme one day, and he looked at me like I was an alien and said, “That’s not a meme.” I facepalmed IRL.

Now then, I agree with Fridge Logic, except the other way around. Rage Comics are just overused and annoying, and their format can irritate me. Actually, Reddit and 9gag (the two biggest Rage Comics-hosting sites) sort of piss me off sometimes. Take this below image as an example.

See what I mean? Now, not all Rage Comics are like this, just most of ‘em. I don’t like really forced, unfunny Advice Animals either, just because they don’t feel like they should be considered memes, just image macros. My irritation is yours, Fridge Logic. I know that feel bro.

Oh god, why did I forget Rage Comics? I completely agree with everything you just said. Rage Comics are goddamn terrible.

Aug 26, 2012 at 07:57AM EDT

Zipperbars wrote:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

The fanbase, specifically. The show itself is great, but I hate 70% of those bronies. The other 30% are usually cool.

I’m a brony myself, and there are members of my fanbase I absolutely abhor.

Most of them dwell on Facebook… go figure. Sigh… Facebook has become quite a place.


Gonna have to agree with Verbs on this one.

Advice Animals are the worst.

A combination of the following causes my hatred for them:

1. Misuse. Lots and lots of misuse.

2. Common. Extremely common. I get pretty tired of seeing them everywhere I go. I go to bed at night, and there they are, waiting for me in my dreams. They torture me by making me watch Ke$ha music videos until I wake up.

3. An idiot could fuse a stolen image and some Impact text together, and be bombarded with likes/thumbs/karma/etc. More a personal gripe than anything. It always bothered me that people are getting some Interwebz fame for little to no effort.

4. Just plain not funny (for the most part, see below). Not quite as unfunny as an arrow to the knee, but damn close.

5. A great deal of them are forced. That’s an automatic failure in my eyes. A forced meme will never go to college and get a decent job as a doctor. It will sit in your basement for the rest of its life, playing the video games that you worked so tirelessly to purchase (and not giving you a turn!) and eating all of the onion dip.

Now, I’m slightly hypocritical, because there are advice animal images that I have enjoyed.

But on the whole, the meme is wiggedy-wiggedy-whacked.

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 08:26AM EDT
Aug 26, 2012 at 08:16AM EDT
Quote

Owens wrote:

I’m a brony myself, and there are members of my fanbase I absolutely abhor.

Most of them dwell on Facebook… go figure. Sigh… Facebook has become quite a place.


Gonna have to agree with Verbs on this one.

Advice Animals are the worst.

A combination of the following causes my hatred for them:

1. Misuse. Lots and lots of misuse.

2. Common. Extremely common. I get pretty tired of seeing them everywhere I go. I go to bed at night, and there they are, waiting for me in my dreams. They torture me by making me watch Ke$ha music videos until I wake up.

3. An idiot could fuse a stolen image and some Impact text together, and be bombarded with likes/thumbs/karma/etc. More a personal gripe than anything. It always bothered me that people are getting some Interwebz fame for little to no effort.

4. Just plain not funny (for the most part, see below). Not quite as unfunny as an arrow to the knee, but damn close.

5. A great deal of them are forced. That’s an automatic failure in my eyes. A forced meme will never go to college and get a decent job as a doctor. It will sit in your basement for the rest of its life, playing the video games that you worked so tirelessly to purchase (and not giving you a turn!) and eating all of the onion dip.

Now, I’m slightly hypocritical, because there are advice animal images that I have enjoyed.

But on the whole, the meme is wiggedy-wiggedy-whacked.

I know this is a stupid question but……What’s a forced meme?

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:11AM EDT
Quote

xXxFrenzyxXx wrote:

I know this is a stupid question but……What’s a forced meme?

A meme naturally spreads through many different people sharing the meme through different sites.
A forced meme is where one person or group of people purposely post a meme everywhere in hopes of it gaining some kind of recognition.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:19AM EDT
Quote

@Frenzy

What Rin said.

A meme becomes a meme when it spreads “naturally” around the internet.

“Naturally” in this context means nobody really intended for it to spread. It simply did because people thought it was a good idea and propagated its use

A force meme is when the spread occurs artificially, not naturally. Which of course means that people purposefully advertised and promote their joke around the internet with the exact intention of turning into a meme, rather than allowing the internet decide for itself if it’s worthy of being used.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:53AM EDT
Quote

Religious memes. (Most of them are advice animals, anyways.)
Idiotic hostilities abound, an overwhelming air of poisonous attitudes, the astonishing 0% rate of how much is solved through the Internet fights and just the lack of calm, thoughtful and respectful people. And the trolls are the worst, because no one seems to be able to just let things go when it comes to religious opinion.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:53AM EDT
Quote

Rin Tezuka wrote:

A meme naturally spreads through many different people sharing the meme through different sites.
A forced meme is where one person or group of people purposely post a meme everywhere in hopes of it gaining some kind of recognition.

Yes, pretty much this. The idea should speak for itself, really.

If you see only one person or a certain group spam it everywhere they can for perhaps a mild reason, they are pushing it.

What annoys me the most though are the “memes”, or should I say images or ideas that are added here as if it will become a meme, just like that, the next day. You can almost never tell if they’re trolling or seriously ignorant.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:04AM EDT
Quote

Anyone hating LOLcats here?
Because I just flame when one of those fucking cats appear.
Goddamn, LOLcats should be put into a hell-hole.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:06AM EDT
Quote

This thread seems kind of… Iffy… Just try not to offend anyone…

I don’t think there’s a way to measure the “worst” meme. People can only really have a “least favourite”.

On that note, I agree with Blue Screen in that “Arrow to the Knee” is my least favourite. It’s just so played out.

Then again, isn’t that why they’re memes? Merriam-Webster defines a meme as “an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture”. Isn’t that what “Arrow to the Knee” and “Dolan” are? We can’t really be mad at memes for actually being memes, I suppose.

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 12:57PM EDT
Aug 26, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT
Quote

Worst Meme=Bad meme+exposure

Dolan’s starting to get up there, but I think Arrow in the Knee still holds the record from that week or so of CONSTANT exposure.

Aug 26, 2012 at 07:36PM EDT
Quote

Zero. There are no bad memes. Sure, each individual may like some more than others, but that doesn’t make them bad. Memes became what they are because they caught on. If they are really bad and shitty in general like some people claim, then they would never even become memes to begin with.

Aug 26, 2012 at 08:48PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

Worst Meme=Bad meme+exposure

Dolan’s starting to get up there, but I think Arrow in the Knee still holds the record from that week or so of CONSTANT exposure.

If by Exposure you mean it getting used in real life, Dolan still has a long way to go in that regard before it gets on the same level as Arrow to the Knee. However if it does ascend that far and “X pls” becomes popular, that would be WAY worse than A2TK.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:07PM EDT
Quote

Dolan!

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:06AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!