Forums / Discussion / General

232,822 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Valve General

Last posted Sep 12, 2012 at 02:05PM EDT. Added Aug 25, 2012 at 09:08PM EDT
26 posts from 13 users

The quoted post has been deleted.

LOL Valve work on anything with the #3 in it? Yeah, I don't think that's going to be happening. But I do agree, I just don't think it'll ever happen.

Sadly, because of this, I kinda don't ever see a Team Fortress 3 being made either.

I'm more excited about DoTA 2 or L4D3 or even Portal 3.
I'm pretty sure they are not going to make HL3 at all. They just won't say "hey, HL3 is cancelled" because… Hum… Do I need a reason?

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are not going to make HL3 at all. They just won't say "hey, HL3 is cancelled" because… Hum… Do I need a reason?

They might as well, it's obvious that Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is never going to see the light of day.

Or is it Half-Life 3? Last time I remember it was still 2 and they were doing episodic deals the third episode is what everyone is futilely waiting on.

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Exactly. Gaben and Valve work in mysterious ways.

Ashki wrote:

LOL Valve work on anything with the #3 in it? Yeah, I don't think that's going to be happening. But I do agree, I just don't think it'll ever happen.

Sadly, because of this, I kinda don't ever see a Team Fortress 3 being made either.

I feel that with the model they've set up on TF2, it doesn't really need a sequel right now. Since it's open-ended and constantly updated and added onto with fresh content, including community-developed content, I think it can do fine on its own. It can sustain itself and keep itself relevant, even as a 5-year-old game.

Half Life/Portal/etc, on the other hand, are story-based games that have a clearly defined end (unless you get into DLC, which Valve doesn't do for these games anyways). The way that they're set up needs a sequel to keep things fresh and develop the story.

Look, I love the "Valve doesn't know the number 3" joke, and I've used it before. But realistically, it's within their limits to make a 3rd Half-Life, or Portal, or Left 4 Dead. They just haven't made one.

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

I feel that with the model they've set up on TF2, it doesn't really need a sequel right now. Since it's open-ended and constantly updated and added onto with fresh content, including community-developed content, I think it can do fine on its own. It can sustain itself and keep itself relevant, even as a 5-year-old game.

Half Life/Portal/etc, on the other hand, are story-based games that have a clearly defined end (unless you get into DLC, which Valve doesn't do for these games anyways). The way that they're set up needs a sequel to keep things fresh and develop the story.

Look, I love the "Valve doesn't know the number 3" joke, and I've used it before. But realistically, it's within their limits to make a 3rd Half-Life, or Portal, or Left 4 Dead. They just haven't made one.

Well, honestly, I think before they work on anything else, I'd really, really work on more Half Life if I was them. I think they've annoyed fans with that for a while.

But it's not out of the possibility for a company to do something like that. Shit, just look at how long it took for Duke Nukem Forever to come out.

Ashki wrote:

Well, honestly, I think before they work on anything else, I'd really, really work on more Half Life if I was them. I think they've annoyed fans with that for a while.

But it's not out of the possibility for a company to do something like that. Shit, just look at how long it took for Duke Nukem Forever to come out.

TF2 came out 9 years after it was announced and went through several engines and redesigns. It could take just as long for something like HL3 (although I doubt they'd do that).

Besides, for all we know, they could be WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW.

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 05:49PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

TF2 came out 9 years after it was announced and went through several engines and redesigns. It could take just as long for something like HL3 (although I doubt they'd do that).

Besides, for all we know, they could be WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW.

Heh, I bet they are.

Though if it does come out, I'd be quite surprised. Chuckles I wouldn't be surprised if the internet exploded in joy once and if that happens.

I just found an video posted 6 Months about a PA Article with gaben stating that he'd rather " have things a little more baked" before releasing information about Half-life3's release.

Ben Kuchera: Now we’re talking about things like wearable computers and biofeedback and we’ve touched on Steam a little bit but there’s millions of people out there who are gnashing their teeth when they read this who just want to play Episode 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. Is there ever tension between all the different things that Valve is interested in doing?

Gaben: Oh absolutely. We’re acutely aware of how much we annoy our fans and it’s pretty frustrating to us when we put them into that situation. We try to go as fast as we can and we try to pick the things that we think are going to be most valuable to our customers and if there’s some magic way we can get more work done in a day then we’d love to hear about it, but we recognize that it’s been a long time whereas we have so many games that people really love–Counterstrike, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, not a whole lot of Ricochet enthusiasts out there, and at the same time we want to be making sure that those games and those stories and those characters are moving forward while also making sure that we don’t just get into terminal sequelitis.

But we’ve always somehow, you know, part of the reason that we backed off talking so much about what was happening in the future is that when we’ve done that in the past, you know, with Half Life 1 it was a year after we originally said it would be, Half Life 2 basically if you go and read the forum posts apparently took us fifty or sixty years to get done so we’re trying to be careful not to get people too excited and then have to go and disappoint them. So we’re sort of reacting in the other direction and saying “okay, well let’s
have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it.”

TLRD/TLRW:They don't want fans to get mad if Half Life 3 gets delay.

Last edited Aug 30, 2012 at 01:03AM EDT

Ah yes Valve, they were one of my favorite companies.
Then they adopted Defense of the Ancients.
And now….
THEY ARE THE BEST COMPANY EVER.
Seriously, the innovations they've added to Dota are insane! They picked up an old game they thought had potential and gave IceFrog (owner of Dota) a chance to recreate his game with their resources. This is why I love Valve.
I'm in the Dota 2 beta and it's a blast, I can't wait for the actual release!!!!
(Now if only IceFrog would fix Bloodseeker and make him viable in tournaments…)

Last edited Aug 30, 2012 at 02:07AM EDT

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Honestly?

If Valve don't hurry up and make a game with a 3 in it in the next 2 years or so, I will flip shit harder that I have now.

I agree. I like Valve, but they annoy the piss out of me because of that.

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Honestly?

If Valve don't hurry up and make a game with a 3 in it in the next 2 years or so, I will flip shit harder that I have now.

Good luck with that, because I have to agree with what I saw on the TVTropes. It mainly applied to Episode 3 of Half-Life 2, but yeah, it could apply to any Valve game with a three, but any of those will come out when the Rapture happens.

I haven't personally played Valve's DoTA, but I don't know if I like the fact that it exists. We already have League of Legends, which is a very nice DoTA-inspired game.

I'm not saying Valve's DoTA isn't good (haven't played, can't judge), I just don't like that there are multiple modern DoTA games floating around to potentially eat up my time.

There can be only one.

Here's an alternative demoman for anyone who didn't know that the quote originally came from Highlander… and to make this post more Valve-y.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 10:06AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!