Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Mom denies her little daughter to see Bambi... WTF??

Last posted Aug 28, 2012 at 10:13PM EDT. Added Aug 26, 2012 at 07:44AM EDT
20 posts from 14 users

Ok, let's read that…
"Bambi’s mother is shot by a hunter, and that might scare little 'Suzy'."
WTF?
That movie is great for children. I HATE super protective parents. Children need to feel bad and deal with bad situations to grow up.

"There was a time when children were meant to learn about life from the stories parents told at their bedsides. And not mundane nonsense you could get out of a Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle book, like why we should eat our vegetable or how we oughtn’t to sass our parents. Today kids movies are only meant to keep kids quiet for a little bit while keeping them just as dumb as when they woke up that morning."
ಠ_ಠ
If you see movies/tv for children ONLY like that, you may be a bad parent. Look at Pixar movies, it always tell you something. They make you FEEL.

"Instead of traumatizing kids, Bambi ought to reaffirm the essential courage and strength in all of us, even (or maybe especially) after the darkest losses. Instead of fearing that your precious little angel couldn’t possibly handle a movie that deals with serious issues, parents should seek out challenging stories like Bambi. Otherwise we’ll end up with an entire generation of kids who think pain is for losers and to be avoided at all costs, not an essential and healthy part of growth and life."
That's good to hear

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 08:08AM EDT

I also did not agree with what the author said about today's children's cartoons and movies. Actually, a lot of cartoons and movies for kids today are great! They're not all gonna teach a valuable message or make you think about the intricacies of life, but they make you /feel/ and that is what's really important to a child.

I wish a parents would not think they have to guard their children from everything. Not only does it keep the child from building character, but it's down right unhealthy to raise a child like that. I believe the most important part of raising a child is to remember what it was like when you were a kid yourself. This is a thing that most people easily forget, and so there is no understanding between a parent and child and

When I was young, I thought Bambi was freakin' weird. That said, the whole death thing didn't really faze me. Perhaps I'd simply memorized the films before I was old enough to comprehend speech. And thus, when I did finally understand it, I wasn't scarred. Thus by exposing me while I was INCREDIBLY young, I avoided trauma. So remember, show tiny babies horror movies. (NOTE: Don't actually do that.)

I really don't understand why people see her death as that traumatizing either. It's shown off-screen and the scene after that is happy music played over pretty scenery. I'd think if there would be a reason that a parent would reruse to let their child see a movie like this, it's because the parent is the kind of person who hates preachy enviromentalist movies.

For me though, it's probably my least favorite Disney animated movie. Not because of the death or enviromentalist stuff, but because IT'S FRIGGIN' BORING!

Someone should tell that lady that there's an anorexically slim risk of dying when you get out of bed.

On the other hand, she might confine her kid to bed forever, so maybe that's not a good idea.

Katie C. wrote:

Someone should tell that lady that there's an anorexically slim risk of dying when you get out of bed.

On the other hand, she might confine her kid to bed forever, so maybe that's not a good idea.

Hell, her kid could die in the bed.

I don't think it's humanly possible to go to a place where you don't have a chance of dying.

Last edited Aug 27, 2012 at 10:33AM EDT

So, when I was a little kid, my parents only allowed us to use the N64 on weekends and holidays, after asking for their permission; because they thought SM64, Kirby 64 and games like that were too violent.

But they made us read a story every day. I once read Hansel and Grettel, and got really pissed of at the way she pushed the old witch to the fire, and to top it off, they explain every detail about how the witch screams in agony and burns to death. I think THAT scarred me more than 02.

I also remember a story about a goat mom that goes shopping for food and stuff, the wolf eats her children, she finds the wolf asleep later, cuts his stomach, saves her children, puts rocks inside his guts and sews the wolf's belly again (while he surprisingly is still asleep); then some time later, the wolf wakes up, complaining about his stomach ache, then accidentally falls into a river and drowns.

Srsly, if they are going to complain about violence, first take a look at the "Children's Classic Stories".

Digoxin wrote:

So, when I was a little kid, my parents only allowed us to use the N64 on weekends and holidays, after asking for their permission; because they thought SM64, Kirby 64 and games like that were too violent.

But they made us read a story every day. I once read Hansel and Grettel, and got really pissed of at the way she pushed the old witch to the fire, and to top it off, they explain every detail about how the witch screams in agony and burns to death. I think THAT scarred me more than 02.

I also remember a story about a goat mom that goes shopping for food and stuff, the wolf eats her children, she finds the wolf asleep later, cuts his stomach, saves her children, puts rocks inside his guts and sews the wolf's belly again (while he surprisingly is still asleep); then some time later, the wolf wakes up, complaining about his stomach ache, then accidentally falls into a river and drowns.

Srsly, if they are going to complain about violence, first take a look at the "Children's Classic Stories".

Or this:

The book american morality is supposed to be based on. Nuff said!

/\/00b wrote:

Loving the SMBC comic.

Anyway, we shelter children far too much these days, then turn them loose with more responsibility earlier in their lives then their parents experienced. Just another thing that's wrong with the world.

GUYS GUYS SOMEONE HAS A PARENTING STYLE I DON'T AGREE WITH WHICH MAKES THEM STUPID

Not that I have any problem with Bambi at all, but, seriously, are we basing our complete character judgements of a woman we've never met based on a single instance that we read about in a blog? This is completely unfair, if you ask me, and really not anyone's place. After all, you know nothing of the child, nothing of the cultural scenario, and nothing about the mother's reasoning other than a single quote. You all are making judgement calls based off of a 500-word essay, and it makes me incredibly frustrated, especially since there are so many movements in today's culture that are geared around removing stereotypes and judgements.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!