Forums / Discussion / General

169,556 total conversations in 5,528 threads

+ New Thread

Post overrated stuff

Last posted Sep 19, 2012 at 04:15PM EDT. Added Sep 01, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT
106 posts from 53 users

We’ve got a topic of flawed fanbases, so how about we talk about overrated games?

Also, if you’re gonna be in this thread, chill it with the thumbs down, or any flaming, because if you get pissed off with something someone posts and you object because you and a bunch of other people like it, they’re doing it right and you probably shouldn’t be in this thread.

Sep 01, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT

being first to respond to a post
very overrated

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 06:25PM EDT
Sep 01, 2012 at 06:24PM EDT

The Grotan Team Fortress 2. Yeah, it’s awesome, and I love it, but so many people say that it is the ultimate shooter. While it does excel in many aspects, it is also pretty flawed in others.

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:21PM EDT

Sarkhan The Mad wrote:

hating on modern warfare.
seriously guys it’s really not that bad.

I think you mean the hype and hate for CoD all seems unnecessary.

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:22PM EDT

[Insert your favorite video game/movie/TV show/book/anime/cartoon here]

Sep 01, 2012 at 07:56PM EDT

t’s really not all that scary, some of the enemies are far more irritating than challenging, those damn quicktime events fucking suck, and as for Ashley…just give up. Also, having powerful weapons that I can hardly ever use and having to switch back to the handgun all the time is enraging too.

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:17PM EDT

Sarkhan The Mad wrote:

oh yeah that stupid Know Your Meme website. more like Kill Your Meme, am I right guys

It was a JOKE you guys, sheesh. Don’t murder the guy for having a sense of humor.

Anyway, I agree with what Stig said about TF2. I really don’t think it’s that great, and I didn’t really have a lot of fun when I tried to get into it. There’s too much respawning, terrible lag and framerate (at least on my machine) and although the attempts at characterization and story are fun, I think people tend to focus on them while ignoring the flaws in the gameplay. Also, the whole hats thing.

Sep 01, 2012 at 11:29PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

It was a JOKE you guys, sheesh. Don’t murder the guy for having a sense of humor.

Anyway, I agree with what Stig said about TF2. I really don’t think it’s that great, and I didn’t really have a lot of fun when I tried to get into it. There’s too much respawning, terrible lag and framerate (at least on my machine) and although the attempts at characterization and story are fun, I think people tend to focus on them while ignoring the flaws in the gameplay. Also, the whole hats thing.

This
Why the fuck you all being so unfriendly guys. Just because he’s new doesn’t mean he’s a jerk.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:03AM EDT

MDFification wrote:

This
Why the fuck you all being so unfriendly guys. Just because he’s new doesn’t mean he’s a jerk.

>Implying KYM knows how to take a joke.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT

Kurt Cobain. He was a great songwriter, but as a guitarist and vocalist, he was decent at best.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:46AM EDT

@Fridge

There’s too much respawning, terrible lag and framerate

I get none of those problems. Sounds like you either had graphics settings too high or you tried to join foreign servers.

As for respawning, well that’s fixed by practice. You don’t get good at the game in one night

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:53AM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

But seriously, Final Fantasy VII. I find it irritating that people think it’s the best RPG ever created, just because they missed the SNES RPG Golden Age. It’s really not the best Final Fantasy, even (that goes to Final Fantasy VI/US III IMO, and IV/US II is better than VII too). And that’s leaving out Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. (Yes, I personally believe that SNES RPGs are the pinnacle of the genre, in case you couldn’t guess.)

Jeez… what else? CoD’s pretty overrated, but I don’t think it’s as bad as most people say it is. It just depends on which installment you play. Also most sports games, it’s just the same game with new rosters and slightly tweaked gameplay year after year.

\/ @Natsuru below: yeah, Ocarina just has a lot of nostalgia behind it. I personally just missed it due to my age, and I still think it’s an excellent game, and it’s definitely up there in the top Zelda Games, but IMO Twilight Princess was one of the best games in the series; I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone else with that opinion.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 01:46AM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 01:18AM EDT

I am quite honestly afraid to post this here.

I feel that Ocarina of Time is overrated. I am not saying it’s a bad game, but by today’s standards it feels extremely primitive (even the 3DS version feels that way). But fact is: It has sooooooooooooooo much Nostalgia crammed into it people literally became blind to the positive aspects of the future games in the series.

In fact, I would go as far to say as the people who obsess over Ocarina of Time and only Ocarina of time, giving absolutely no thought and oftentimes refusing to play the other Zelda Titles are not true Zelda fans.

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:34AM EDT

The Transformers 1980’s cartoon, MLP, and Half-Life 2 are overrated.

The Transformers suffered from bad animation.

There are better shows on the HUB than MLP. Much better shows, even though MLP isn’t bad.

Half-Life 2 just didn’t scratch the itch I got from HL1, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:24AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I am quite honestly afraid to post this here.

I feel that Ocarina of Time is overrated. I am not saying it’s a bad game, but by today’s standards it feels extremely primitive (even the 3DS version feels that way). But fact is: It has sooooooooooooooo much Nostalgia crammed into it people literally became blind to the positive aspects of the future games in the series.

In fact, I would go as far to say as the people who obsess over Ocarina of Time and only Ocarina of time, giving absolutely no thought and oftentimes refusing to play the other Zelda Titles are not true Zelda fans.

In the same vein, I’d say this too.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:28AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

But seriously, Final Fantasy VII. I find it irritating that people think it’s the best RPG ever created, just because they missed the SNES RPG Golden Age. It’s really not the best Final Fantasy, even (that goes to Final Fantasy VI/US III IMO, and IV/US II is better than VII too). And that’s leaving out Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. (Yes, I personally believe that SNES RPGs are the pinnacle of the genre, in case you couldn’t guess.)

Jeez… what else? CoD’s pretty overrated, but I don’t think it’s as bad as most people say it is. It just depends on which installment you play. Also most sports games, it’s just the same game with new rosters and slightly tweaked gameplay year after year.

\/ @Natsuru below: yeah, Ocarina just has a lot of nostalgia behind it. I personally just missed it due to my age, and I still think it’s an excellent game, and it’s definitely up there in the top Zelda Games, but IMO Twilight Princess was one of the best games in the series; I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone else with that opinion.

>FF7
>overrated
That’s not news to me. I refuse to go anywhere NEAR it’s prequels or sequels. FF7’s not a bad game, it’s just… I don’t know, average, I guess?

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:35AM EDT

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:22AM EDT

Well, I’m most likely gonna take a little trip to oblivion for this post, but I think Touhou is overrated.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 08:42AM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 08:41AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

In the same vein, I’d say this too.

I’ll raise that and say most of the Mario series. I think just because of the series’ popularity, they sometimes get undeserved praise. For example, the new super mario bros. series. People complain about CoD not changing anything, while pretty much all of these games are the same, but they get praise anyway. They are good

Sep 02, 2012 at 10:10AM EDT

I’m gonna say the original Sonic games.
I love em to death, but they lack so much depth. Look at something like Super Mario World, same era. Or even Monster World IV, same console. They’re just made for speed, probably because the people in advertising wanted something that looked faster than their competition. I dunno, I just think they feel more like arcade games than genuine console experiences.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:05PM EDT

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

>FF7
>overrated
That’s not news to me. I refuse to go anywhere NEAR it’s prequels or sequels. FF7’s not a bad game, it’s just… I don’t know, average, I guess?

If you actually knew what “Overrated” means, you’d understand that your personal opinion doesn’t change whether or not a game is overrated.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:46PM EDT

Every time I see someone gushing over this:
I can’t help but think:
But, for the most part I just:

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 12:47PM EDT

Rating things. As if any of you can simply decide what’s good or not.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:54PM EDT

Dr. Coolface wrote:

Rating things. As if any of you can simply decide what’s good or not.

What you did there. I see it.

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:30PM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

To be honest, while Friendship is Magic may seem overrated on the internet, in the business and among critics it’s largely ignored. Although the show has been nominated for major awards, it’s never won any, and before bronies became a thing, it never really received much attention, as people always assumed it was just another My Little Pony girly dress-up merchandise festival without any real creative heart.

So I think context is important when making these kinds of judgments.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:40PM EDT

Weasel wrote:

Vavle Games.

I’ve never heard of vavle, tell me more!

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 04:18PM EDT

Do I even need to explain why overrated is an understatement for this game? I mean theirs no store on earth that doesn’t merchandise for this one dollar game that made millions in profit, and not only that their making a freaking Amusement park for this game that’s just about using a slingshot to launch birds at pigs, The success of this game is the definition of overrated.

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:27PM EDT

Notsocoolguy wrote:

Do I even need to explain why overrated is an understatement for this game? I mean theirs no store on earth that doesn’t merchandise for this one dollar game that made millions in profit, and not only that their making a freaking Amusement park for this game that’s just about using a slingshot to launch birds at pigs, The success of this game is the definition of overrated.

Have you ever PLAYED Angry Birds?
It’s really fun, and it’s literally a good bang for your buck.
Your paragraph is a SUCCESS story, my friend. Rovio knew how to play the business, and play the business Rovio did.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 05:09PM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 05:08PM EDT

Notsocoolguy wrote:

Not to mention it’s unoriginal. Crush the Castle, which came before this game, is just like it.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:12PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Not to mention it’s unoriginal. Crush the Castle, which came before this game, is just like it.

Man, I really hate that Know Your Meme website. It’s SO unoriginal! Wikipedia, which came before it, is just like it, but a bit broader.
And ON that topic, Wikipedia is just a web-based Encyclopedia Britannica rip off!
I also think that Blockland is shitty, it’s just like Legos!

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 05:17PM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

To be honest, while Friendship is Magic may seem overrated on the internet, in the business and among critics it’s largely ignored. Although the show has been nominated for major awards, it’s never won any, and before bronies became a thing, it never really received much attention, as people always assumed it was just another My Little Pony girly dress-up merchandise festival without any real creative heart.

I posted MLP as a joke/troll.

Its a bit overrated in some regards but largely, its popularity is somewhat well deserved.

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:11PM EDT

The KnowYourMeme Wiki

Those that take that thing serious, including the articles they (most likely) made for themselves, fail.

The later KYM Personas

KYM-tan is the original, I can live with her. Deadpool-kun is so-so. Everything after that was just created in a style of attention whoring, like bad advice animal spin-offs.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 06:58PM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 06:55PM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

I posted MLP as a joke/troll.

Its a bit overrated in some regards but largely, its popularity is somewhat well deserved.

Oh, I know it was a joke. Your avatar says that much. I just wanted to express an opinion based on the assertion that FiM is overrated, because I’m sure there are some who think that.

Sep 02, 2012 at 07:24PM EDT

Final Fantasy IV.
I don’t get why people like this so much. It’s a good game, but it has two major flaws:
1. No class/skill customization at all (unlike every other game in the series, what gives?)
2. You don’t get to choose your characters. They randomly join/ leave your party, which IMO is really frustrating.

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:48PM EDT

The Simpsons

Everything by Seth Macfarlane

and…

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:03AM EDT

Silbotronic wrote:

Final Fantasy IV.
I don’t get why people like this so much. It’s a good game, but it has two major flaws:
1. No class/skill customization at all (unlike every other game in the series, what gives?)
2. You don’t get to choose your characters. They randomly join/ leave your party, which IMO is really frustrating.

Callin’ BS on the only non-class customization game. VI, at its core, had all the characters hold defined class roles (you can make anyone a mage, but that’s about it; they still are primarily useful in their original role). I feel IV shows that FF can still hold its own without mainstays like class customization and party selection. Besides, a class system would defeat the purpose of Cecil’s redemption story; his change from a Dark Knight to a Paladin really gives a physical representation to his conversion. You would lose that if you could change his class whenever you wanted.

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:07AM EDT

Fridge wrote:

and yet…Fanboy and ChumChum gets 5 wins & 9 nominations.

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:25AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!