Forums / Discussion / General

170,271 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread


9Gag's Repost Machine Has Been Exposed.

Last posted Sep 09, 2012 at 08:29AM EDT. Added Sep 04, 2012 at 04:06AM EDT
30 posts from 19 users

At this speed of 9gag threads we need a 9gag General.

Kinda ironic, a lot of users here hate the site and/or its community (reasons vary), yet because of those users 9gag has become one of the most common topics we discuss lately.

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:34AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

At this speed of 9gag threads we need a 9gag General.

Kinda ironic, a lot of users here hate the site and/or its community (reasons vary), yet because of those users 9gag has become one of the most common topics we discuss lately.

…did you even read the trufax in that link Lolrus posted?

Also, one of the reasons I hate 9gag is because they hate bronies. I posted sum ponies, they said “F*** off, pony fag, this is 9gag.”

I will never forgive them for that.

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:05AM EDT
Quote

So someone from a site that does near enough the same and doesn’t allow your original content sources to be linked is telling us another website is bad. Anyway I think it was well known they steal stuff.

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:31AM EDT
Quote

Believable. It’s a good marketing strategy. Not to mention it would be easily affordable, and much easier then trying to foster a community with a sense of humor.

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:12AM EDT

What if 9FAG_EXPERT is part of the 9gag admins,
and is telling us lies for us to believe them?

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:18AM EDT

Yes, RandomMan. A 9gag general doesn’t seem too bad, am I right?

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:30AM EDT
Quote

NeonWabbit wrote:

…did you even read the trufax in that link Lolrus posted?

Also, one of the reasons I hate 9gag is because they hate bronies. I posted sum ponies, they said “F*** off, pony fag, this is 9gag.”

I will never forgive them for that.

Suddenly, 9gag seems a bit nicer to me.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:01AM EDT
Quote

Trollkeeper wrote:

Isn’t it common knowledge already that 9gag always steals content?

But now there is evidential proof that they do for those people who say otherwise.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:21PM EDT
Quote

Correct me if im wrong, removing watermarks from pictures are illegal. Especially if the watermark is copyrighted. And reddit watermarks are copyrighted.

If that was true, couldn’t we build a case against 9gag?

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:34PM EDT
Quote

NeonWabbit wrote:

…did you even read the trufax in that link Lolrus posted?

Also, one of the reasons I hate 9gag is because they hate bronies. I posted sum ponies, they said “F*** off, pony fag, this is 9gag.”

I will never forgive them for that.

wat? what are you talking about? i have seen ponies on 9gag quite a few times with 20K likes and comments with 500 thumbs up supporting bronies…

you must have went there on a bad time or your post was poor quality.

as for what lolrus posted. EVERY OTHER SITE does this kind of stuff.
because 9gag is just a site TO VIEW PICTURES.

’random internet scrub: “ooh i found this really cool picture, im sure my buddies on 9gag will love it as well”

internet: THEIF! CANCER!!!! MEME KIDDY!!!! DIE IN A FIRE!!!!"

very nice.

can’t you leave this damn site alone already? it hurts no one.

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:08AM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

wat? what are you talking about? i have seen ponies on 9gag quite a few times with 20K likes and comments with 500 thumbs up supporting bronies…

you must have went there on a bad time or your post was poor quality.

as for what lolrus posted. EVERY OTHER SITE does this kind of stuff.
because 9gag is just a site TO VIEW PICTURES.

’random internet scrub: “ooh i found this really cool picture, im sure my buddies on 9gag will love it as well”

internet: THEIF! CANCER!!!! MEME KIDDY!!!! DIE IN A FIRE!!!!"

very nice.

can’t you leave this damn site alone already? it hurts no one.

“it hurts no one”

Actually, since very few people use 9Gag’s Sourcing function for their uploads, people who view the content will not know the actual credit, and that can have very detrimental effects for the Author of the work.

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:40AM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

“it hurts no one”

Actually, since very few people use 9Gag’s Sourcing function for their uploads, people who view the content will not know the actual credit, and that can have very detrimental effects for the Author of the work.

If by having detrimental effects you mean the author loses money then I can see your point, people could be taking from someone that makes money off of their online creations. However, most of the stuff you see on 9gag is meme related, or involves some sort of photoshopped image of a celebrity or whatever and I doubt there are individual authors making money off of the meme images they create. Now, this would be different if stuff was stolen from sites like, say, deviantart where there are people actually making money from their work. But as far as I know, there aren’t any reddit users making money off of their creations.

I could have this completely wrong, so if you’re going to correct me please be gentle. I’m a sensitive soul.

Sep 06, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT
Quote

I only have an issue with them removing other people’s watermarks and substituting their own.

Sep 06, 2012 at 12:50PM EDT

Cale wrote:

“it hurts no one”

Actually, since very few people use 9Gag’s Sourcing function for their uploads, people who view the content will not know the actual credit, and that can have very detrimental effects for the Author of the work.

9gag is nothing more than a picture viewing site. the most users have zero care for the original creatores. they just see a funny pic and scroll down. if they are really curious (something that im very unsure of) i am quite certin they can just ask around in the facebook comments where is the real source or just google it.

either way most 9gaggers are internet scrubs so they probebly won’t know how to source properly…

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:41AM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

9gag is nothing more than a picture viewing site. the most users have zero care for the original creatores. they just see a funny pic and scroll down. if they are really curious (something that im very unsure of) i am quite certin they can just ask around in the facebook comments where is the real source or just google it.

either way most 9gaggers are internet scrubs so they probebly won’t know how to source properly…

That’s exactly the thing. 9gaggers don’t seem to bother trying to find information on the original; as a matter of fact, it drives me batshit crazy sometimes to see how many people think the images they see on 9gag originated there. Other than some Rage Comics, it’s rare.

And, we had a 9gag General for a little while. Several mods seemed to agree that it was unnecessary, and it ended up being locked.

Last edited Sep 08, 2012 at 09:19AM EDT
Sep 08, 2012 at 09:17AM EDT
Quote

Cale wrote:

“it hurts no one”

Actually, since very few people use 9Gag’s Sourcing function for their uploads, people who view the content will not know the actual credit, and that can have very detrimental effects for the Author of the work.

I rarely see people on tumblr sourcing their images either. Granted, the image could have originated on tumblr and you could find the original poster quite easily but for pictures brought from outside…

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:25AM EDT
Quote

Deus Ex Machina wrote:

We need to a forum to talk about 9GAG…

“lol 9gag treads her”

That a good name?

Like I said earlier, we tried launching a 9gag General as a place for main 9gag discussion to stop threads like this from frequently popping up, but the idea fell through. A whole forum would do the same thing.

Last edited Sep 08, 2012 at 10:14AM EDT
Sep 08, 2012 at 10:13AM EDT
Quote

Ah, 9gag. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In all honesty, though, at least the suspicions/accusations by everyone but 9gaggers that 9gag steals its content are now confirmed and actually have leverage and weight. Not that it’s going to do much at the moment, though should 9gag get into serious trouble for this stuff we do have mostly concrete proof they do this now.

In other words; I’m meh about this because that essentially confirms what we already know. It’s nice to know that it’s true, but in the end…

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT
Quote

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

Ah, 9gag. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In all honesty, though, at least the suspicions/accusations by everyone but 9gaggers that 9gag steals its content are now confirmed and actually have leverage and weight. Not that it’s going to do much at the moment, though should 9gag get into serious trouble for this stuff we do have mostly concrete proof they do this now.

In other words; I’m meh about this because that essentially confirms what we already know. It’s nice to know that it’s true, but in the end…

I agree that we already did know that 9gag steals content, but making blanket statements about 9gag like that seems a tad unfair to me. /b/ is almost as bad as the majority of the 9gag community at times, and according to this thread, another raid on 9gag is being planned by 4chan, involving reddit, Tumblr and funnyjunk.

How far will it go?

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:54PM EDT
Quote

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

Ah, 9gag. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

In all honesty, though, at least the suspicions/accusations by everyone but 9gaggers that 9gag steals its content are now confirmed and actually have leverage and weight. Not that it’s going to do much at the moment, though should 9gag get into serious trouble for this stuff we do have mostly concrete proof they do this now.

In other words; I’m meh about this because that essentially confirms what we already know. It’s nice to know that it’s true, but in the end…

the most wretched hive of scum and villainy? are you high? did you ever see them troll, cyber bully, invade other communites, and create disgusting stereotypes of other subcultres?

no, they just post pics without giving credits for the original author, just like 100 sites do that.

the only reson why 9gag stands out is because it’s popular

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:06PM EDT
Quote

Jolly Jew wrote:

the most wretched hive of scum and villainy? are you high? did you ever see them troll, cyber bully, invade other communites, and create disgusting stereotypes of other subcultres?

no, they just post pics without giving credits for the original author, just like 100 sites do that.

the only reson why 9gag stands out is because it’s popular

He was quoting Star Wars, calm yo tits Jolly.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT
Quote

Yes, I was quoting Star Wars. If the face of Obi-Wan didn’t give it away, well, I’m not sure what else did.

I am very much aware that there are worse places than 9gag. 4chan is worse than 9gag – much, much worse at times. T’was just making a joke, is all, no reason to get in a fit over it.

and sometimes i wonder why i still subtlety

@Trollkeeper: The hate is strong with that one. The way things seem right now, all the popular websites have raging murderboners for 9gag at the moment. And considering they extensively planned this attack, and it’s not the first…

Really, I don’t know when it’ll stop. Maybe they’ll only stop when 9gag dies. Maybe they’ll get bored after a couple more months. Who knows? I say we just watch the shitstorm from a distance.

Last edited Sep 08, 2012 at 05:01PM EDT
Sep 08, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT
Quote

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

Yes, I was quoting Star Wars. If the face of Obi-Wan didn’t give it away, well, I’m not sure what else did.

I am very much aware that there are worse places than 9gag. 4chan is worse than 9gag – much, much worse at times. T’was just making a joke, is all, no reason to get in a fit over it.

and sometimes i wonder why i still subtlety

@Trollkeeper: The hate is strong with that one. The way things seem right now, all the popular websites have raging murderboners for 9gag at the moment. And considering they extensively planned this attack, and it’s not the first…

Really, I don’t know when it’ll stop. Maybe they’ll only stop when 9gag dies. Maybe they’ll get bored after a couple more months. Who knows? I say we just watch the shitstorm from a distance.

Oh, sorry Sparty. The image 404’d on my computer, so I just got a little white box. Had it loaded properly and had I actually seen the face of Obi-Wan, I would have gotten the reference, but it went over my head.

And, what exactly are they hoping to accomplish from this raid, if it’s not just Anonymous trolling again? To once and for all take down 9gag? The admins (as much as I dislike them) aren’t idiots, they’ll have the site back up and running soon enough; they’ve done it before. God knows this isn’t the first time 4chan has planned and attempted to raid them.

I try to break up 9gag hatefests on the forums when I see them, but I’m not much use, sadly. I do enjoy legitimate discussions about 9gag and other websites, though. But when you see not only a thread, but ANYTHING pertaining to 9gag on the site, it gets massive unfair downvotes just for being associated with that site.

I’ll be there on 9gag on September 11th, the planned day of the raid, just to see how things go down. My prediction: Operation Bukkake is able to take down 9gag for a little while at best, but most likely fails.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:23PM EDT
Quote

Trollkeeper wrote:

Oh, sorry Sparty. The image 404’d on my computer, so I just got a little white box. Had it loaded properly and had I actually seen the face of Obi-Wan, I would have gotten the reference, but it went over my head.

And, what exactly are they hoping to accomplish from this raid, if it’s not just Anonymous trolling again? To once and for all take down 9gag? The admins (as much as I dislike them) aren’t idiots, they’ll have the site back up and running soon enough; they’ve done it before. God knows this isn’t the first time 4chan has planned and attempted to raid them.

I try to break up 9gag hatefests on the forums when I see them, but I’m not much use, sadly. I do enjoy legitimate discussions about 9gag and other websites, though. But when you see not only a thread, but ANYTHING pertaining to 9gag on the site, it gets massive unfair downvotes just for being associated with that site.

I’ll be there on 9gag on September 11th, the planned day of the raid, just to see how things go down. My prediction: Operation Bukkake is able to take down 9gag for a little while at best, but most likely fails.

Your prediction is probably going to be spot on.

Really, Anon is trying to get 9gag to go down because they hate them. It won’t take. It’s just a pointless internet war.

So I’ll get a little bit of entertainment out of this, but that’ll be that.

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT
Quote

I mean, repost accounts are really easy to find. I spent like 2 minutes on 9gag and found one which fits all the traits.

And another

Last edited Sep 08, 2012 at 08:46PM EDT
Sep 08, 2012 at 08:41PM EDT
Quote

Mister J wrote:

I mean, repost accounts are really easy to find. I spent like 2 minutes on 9gag and found one which fits all the traits.

And another

Those are pretty good finds.

Sep 09, 2012 at 08:29AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!