Forums / Discussion / General

232,902 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

4CHAN to launch an attack against 9GAG (Again)

Last posted Sep 10, 2012 at 02:50PM EDT. Added Sep 04, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT
54 posts from 38 users

When given the option to just be peaceful and interact with all kinds of people from all over the world, people decide to start gang wars with people they don't even know.

This online elitism has gone too far. The people waging this war really have no lives. Anyways, It seems kinda hyprocritical that they condemn 9gag for stealing useless Internet humour, but then share links to pirated content and whatnot. Im not saying that stealing any content is ok, but shit, get a life guys. Stop worrying about other websites and stuff. This reminds me of pony haters, console fanboys, and cod/battlefield fanboys. The truly pathetic people are the ones that obsess over what they hate instead of what they love.
A wise man once said( zyzz bra) " I rather be hated on, than be the hater"

4Chan? Working together? S***, 4Chan isn't even able to unite itself, let alone its sworn rivals. If each site was a mech, 4Chan would be the super-powerful combining one, with each of its boards being a different part, only they refuse to work together and end up doing nothing. inb4 tons of "back stab" to a team that was never meant to be.

I am AHO Right? wrote:

4Chan? Working together? S***, 4Chan isn't even able to unite itself, let alone its sworn rivals. If each site was a mech, 4Chan would be the super-powerful combining one, with each of its boards being a different part, only they refuse to work together and end up doing nothing. inb4 tons of "back stab" to a team that was never meant to be.

I've heard that the different boards are entire communities with attributes unique to itself as well. But you'll notice that this isn't the first case that 4chan as 4chan the site has organized to do something like this. They aren't saying they're from /b/, /tg/, /co/, or various other boards. Just 4chan.

It could be that "4chan" strikes more fear into people's hearts than "/e/" (which I highly doubt would even care) or "/b/" for the less Internet savvy person. So they say they're from 4chan when in fact that they're mostly from a couple of boards that don't hate each other.

But I don't see how it automatically fails. Anonymous and 4chan isn't new to this, by any means. I'm not quite sure why you think it would fail now when it has succeeded to some extent many times before (regardless of whether it is actually all of 4chan or just a board or two.)

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

What if this is actually a picture from a 9gag user made to make 4chan look like the bad ones?

>Implying a 9gager has the brains to think of a false flag operation

Wait….When did I become a 9gag hater?

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 09:42AM EDT

I couldn't care less what happens. The thing is, I'm afraid something glaringly obvious is going to happen:

9gag probably already knows about this, and is preparing for it right now.

I'm assuming all of you have read the 9gag Repost Machine thread, and read the actual reddit post, right? If you haven't, click the link. But if you have, you know that 9gag has their own hidden agents, just like 4chan wants to do. If 4chan wants Reddit and Tumblr in on this, too, I'm sure that it's at some point that it's easily accessible – we found it, didn't we? Besides, that's leaving out that 9gag probably has /b/ agents.

tl;dr 9gag knows and operation Bukkake fails spectacularly as a result.

EDIT: Corrected for your grammar nazi pleasure, Quantum.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 11:15AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

I couldn't care less what happens. The thing is, I'm afraid something glaringly obvious is going to happen:

9gag probably already knows about this, and is preparing for it right now.

I'm assuming all of you have read the 9gag Repost Machine thread, and read the actual reddit post, right? If you haven't, click the link. But if you have, you know that 9gag has their own hidden agents, just like 4chan wants to do. If 4chan wants Reddit and Tumblr in on this, too, I'm sure that it's at some point that it's easily accessible – we found it, didn't we? Besides, that's leaving out that 9gag probably has /b/ agents.

tl;dr 9gag knows and operation Bukkake fails spectacularly as a result.

EDIT: Corrected for your grammar nazi pleasure, Quantum.

I could care less what happens.

You care, huh?

I'm sure everything will be fine; the date for the attack is terrible, the idea of unity to assault one site is terrible, I just don't know if this will work out.

As a tumblrfag, I have this to say to /b/ and their proposal for our assistance in their assault upon 9gag:

Have fun having your schoolyard fight.

I have a blob-shaped gray tabby cat to reblog.

Internet is serious business.

^ This is why I think the whole thing will fail. 4chan on it's own has obviously laid numerous attacks of 9gag by themselves, with varying degrees of success, but I highly doubt the other sites would care enough to do something like this (maaaybe reddit would, but I highly doubt tumblr would)

But this really is just a schoolyard fight. Whatever.

I think what people haven't considered is that:

1. This is the trick. Getting everyone's jimmies rustled on 9gag over something that doesn't even happen.

Successful troll is successful.

^This. They've put this (or want to) all over the net, in places, like I said, that le9gag already goes to (read reposts from). They're trying to freak out the 9gag admins so that they think a raid is coming… But even though 9gag reposts tumblr and Reddit all the time, I just don't see them using 4chan tactics.

There is one other motive here – perhaps anon here is trying to get 9gag to do a simultaneous raid. Then 4chan doesn't raid, so then 9gag gets all the blame. Just throwing it out there; 9gag isn't quite as organized as 4chan, but they could come together after all 4chan's put them through.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 03:07PM EDT

The funny thing is, if 4chan actually put so much effort into actually doing something productive on the Internet, they could actually help a lot.
Why can't we have something like Operation Darknet again? That was cool. This is just fucking idiotic.

Verbose wrote:

I think what people haven't considered is that:

1. This is the trick. Getting everyone's jimmies rustled on 9gag over something that doesn't even happen.

Successful troll is successful.

Ha! That would be ironic, that the trollees caused a bigger fuss than the trollers. I love it!

OK, this has gone way too far. Now, I'm going to try to look at this from both sides of the story (inb4 Phil Collins). From what I've perceived, 4chan is mad at 9gag for several reasons, a prominent one being their "meme stealing." Now, I don't approve of stealing content, but nobody OWNS memes. In criticism of 9gag, though, is it that hard to fill in the source box, for God's sake? Maybe this whole war wouldn't be going down if both sides just stopped to think.

Verbose is definitely onto something, there. Anonymous is a structure built on trolling. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this was all a massive trolling attempt, but I also wouldn't rule out that this is for real and 4chan really is cooking something up with these other sites. Or at least trying to.

This isn't the first time 4chan has tried to bitchslap 9gag. Although 9gag isn't nearly as organized and passionate as Anonymous and 4chan, word of raids seem to get around the site fairly quickly. I'd bet that 9gag already has spies on 4chan boards that have gotten wind of the plan, and that somewhere on 9gag, somebody's alerted somebody else.

From 9gag's point of view, though, 4chan is the polar opposite of what they like to thing of themselves as, from what I've heard and seen, having been on the front lines of both 4chan and 9gag schoolground fights. 9gag doesn't like how 4chan thinks they're so badass because, from their POVs, 4chan recycles content and always posts stuff simply for shock value (the latter of which is true). Is /b/ really a cesspool that should be wiped off the face of the fucking God damned planet? I've seen 9gaggers say so. As a 4channer turned KYMer/semi-4channer, I have to say that /b/ has done its fair share of awful things. But, as CitationNeeded said, things like Operation Darknet and Save Dusty the Cat were cool. This just seems stupid.

Is 9gag a bunch of cackling prepubescent fags who believe "LE 9GAG ARE LE INTERNET BAU5 XD"? I don't see how their content-sniping was so blown out of proportion that they're though of that way. Sure, 9gag has their share of morons, every community does. But I don't think that everybody on 9gag is an idiot, and I don't think their site deserves another raid. Just let 9gag, which rarely directly associates with 4chan, be and continue to hate them if you really feel the need to. Sound good to anybody?

/b/ was at one point, believe it or not, a place I went to for lulz. It's changed and grown farther apart from my Internet spirit since I started lurking/posting on 4chan. A lot of stupid shit originates from /b/, and it's understandable at times to view it as a total spunk pit; sometimes I get frustrated with it and think of it that way. But this is going somewhere: the stupid shit sometimes includes pointless 9gag hate, which is why 9gaggers/neutrals sometimes view /b/ as a spunk pit. Amirite? The Anons can have their fun thinking they're the vigilantes of the Internet, and that they're some massive unstoppable force, like some bronies like to think, but when it comes to something as pointless at raiding 9gag for "stealing memes," that's what truly makes me facepalm.

Now, about getting reddit, Tumblr, and funnyjunk involved. Am I mistaken, or doesn't 4chan also hate reddit? Go to /b/ and ask why, and you'll get responses such as that reddit is a community of stupid bitches who force memes to epic heights to make themselves feel superior to 4chan. Oh, not to mention the degenerate-made Rage Comics, a meme I truly feel is overused.

Also: cross-posting. Look down:

Notice how not only are 4chan and reddit monumentally different communities (notice how 4chan cares mainly about the tits, while reddit takes a more serious viewpoint of the issue. Some redditors (lookin' at you, hypocritical r/athiesm haters) can be scumbags, and so can some 4channers. In that aspect, this might somewhat come together, considering how putting differences aside is the important issue here if this pointless raid is to work. A
Tumblr user above me somewhere posted that Tumblr wasn't 4chan's personal army. So true. And how funnyjunk will manage to fit in and collaborate with 4chan and their proposed comrades? Pfft. Might as well stroll on over to FailBlog and see if they can rally those guys as well, huh? These communities just don't seem quite compatible with each other, and I don't see how every piece of the puzzle could fit together perfectly to take down 9gag successfully. I'd post more variables, but I'm probably nearing the character limit anyway, and I don't want to double-post.

IMPORTANT! tl;dr VERSION BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SHORT ATTENTION SPANS!

Will the raid work as 4chan plans it to?

4chan is mad at 9gag for several reasons, a prominent one being their “meme stealing.” Now, I don’t approve of stealing content, but nobody OWNS memes.

True, but 4chan's problem with 9gag is not about "owning" memes, but rather that 9gag claims to have invented most of the memes they post – including many that originated on 4chan (rage comics, jimmies, etc). 4chan sees this and doesn't appreciate that an upstart like 9gag would claim that they invented things that anyone who's been seriously online for more than two or three years would know they didn't.

Fridge wrote:

I'm sorry, but do we really need to make a thread every time 4chan and 9gag act like complete morons to each other?

It's the KYM forums.
So yes.

I've never understood why 4Chan hates 9gag and battles them so much for abusing memes, and they've never done a mass attack on Facebook. I mean 9gag destroys memes, but Facebook destroys memes and then makes the destroyed memes spill out into real life.

@BallisticDerr
Well, Facebook isn't an internet community in the same way 4chan/9gag/Reddit/etc is/are. Facebook can be seen more as an extension of real life than part of the internet, so when memes wash up there they might as well have already leaked irl. Besides, as far as online identity goes, Zuckerberg is essentially moot's polar opposite, and if 4chan pissed him off too much, he would certainly have the resources to potentially destroy 4chan for good. As for 4chan, it'd be like a legion of orcs choosing between attacking a well fortified city in broad daylight or attacking a neighboring mountain of (supposedly) stupid goblins.

Personally, I find the idea of all these sites being capable of joining forces (for any reason, be it stupid or brilliant) to be magnificent.

Now then, for the popcorn…

Deus Ex Machina wrote:

When does this start?

I need to make some popcorn.

Unless Verbose is right, so then I'll be eating popcorn with no war…again…

September 11th.

You better believe I'll be watching.

Jolly Jew wrote:

good job 4chan, keep it up being pathetic and further provig what shit this communty is full of

Well now. I agree that 4chan (mainly /b/) can be terrible at times, but I think you could have voiced your opinion better. Not asking you to be a teal deer on anything, just saying, provide logic.

I've been on 9Gag and, while the original memes suck, I have to say that is it too different from our own Memebase? I've seen posts (without watermarks) on Tumblr, that I see a day or two later on Memebase with a Memebase Watermark, giving no credit to the OP. Now why isn't Tumblr waging war on Memebase? Because us Tumblr people AREN'T OBNOXIOUS ASS HOLES.

Now I can also see the other side. I have a 4Chan friend and a Reddit friend IRL (that are bestfriends by the way) and they've told me that the 9Gag homepage is basically a big screenshot of their site.

OP-

9Gag Post-

What happens? SHITSTORM

My tumblr MONTHS ago-

Now lets lok at Memebase the other day-

Where's the justice? Why aren't there Tumblr-Memebase raids?
Simple. It isn't fun.
It's fun to hate. Why do you think there are so many trolls?Everytime I click "post" on a comment of a One Direction photo, I feel so happy and enthralled. I'm sure there are Channers and Redditors who truly hate 9Gag, but it probably all started with trolling, and as the new waves of users came, they thought that Reddit and 4Chan truly hates 9Gag, so they went on the site thinking you have to hate 9Gag, thus breeding it into every new wave of users.

So why is there so much hate?
The better question is why can't they look at the other sites that do the same thing, and watch how noone cares. Someone gets the lulz in the end, and isn't that what humor sites are for? It's only a small portion of users who think9Gag created everything.

But lets go to the other side of things again. The whole thing with 9Gag changing post times is extremely obnoxious and offensive. I can see why people with no problem with 9Gag(me included) get furious about that. It's like a smack in the face to where they go it. The same with putting the watermark. It's all about 4Chan getting offended and holding a grudge.

i'm sorry if this is all ovr the place, but it states my opinion well.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!