232,890 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Touhou General

Last posted Dec 31, 2012 at 08:32PM EST. Added Sep 10, 2012 at 03:23PM EDT
96 posts from 21 users

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

MarisaXAlice is best pairing.

Shipping discussion already?

(Personally, I don't like shipping. I prefer the good friends/love-hate relationship between Marisa and Alice)

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 03:48PM EDT

I heard my name.

@Quantum: Touhou is a Independent Bullet Hell Game Series that has spawned Several Thousand Asstons of Media created by fans of the series. The games themselves where crated by a man who considers himself a Composer first, and a Game Designer second, therefore, there is a heavy emphasis on Music in the series.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 04:09PM EDT

Quantum Meme wrote:

I still don't know what Touhou is specifically, despite there being an article here.

What do I know about Japanese stuff?

BTW, inb4natsuru

I have this huge wall of text about the history of Touhou in the works but Natsuru beat me to it and I don't know whether it'd be of any use to you. Should I post it anyway?

Rin Tezuka wrote:

I have this huge wall of text about the history of Touhou in the works but Natsuru beat me to it and I don't know whether it'd be of any use to you. Should I post it anyway?

It's only occasional that I will read anything that goes beyond the TL;DR threshold; You'd have to give it paragraphs and make it riveting.

I.e. probably not.

Quantum Meme wrote:

It's only occasional that I will read anything that goes beyond the TL;DR threshold; You'd have to give it paragraphs and make it riveting.

I.e. probably not.

Alrighty, I'll give it a pass then. You did get some kind of idea about the series from Nat, that's plenty good for me.

I challenge everyone to guess what my favorite Character, Spell Card (player and Boss), Boss Fight, and Song is.

They are actually not the obvious ones.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 05:34PM EDT

As you may have noticed I have locked some General threads. Reason for this was a large rise of general threads over the last week, some having subjects that only appeal to a mere few.

So I ask of you to keep this thread active if you don't want it locked. Bullshit posts with just a one-liner reply or one image don't count, you can do that in JFF. Actually make contributions if possible or see if you can get a topic going. We don't need a general thread for everything if they end up being almost pointless.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 05:36PM EDT

I have a bit of speculation about the future Touhou game/games. There have been a lot of people being resurrected or something similar recently, namely the motal enemies Byakuren and Miko. From the sounds of it, the two factions led by Byakuren and Miko could likely go to war in a game or two… Though, that would have to have Zun step outside of his comfort zone.

Also, I don't think it will happen, but I want to see a villain attempt to shatter the Hakurei Border.

Rin Tezuka wrote:

For the sake of me, the rest of the lurkers, and the survival of the thread, I'm gonna ask that you bring on the tl;dr. Now I'm all curious.

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

For the sake of me, the rest of the lurkers, and the survival of the thread, I'm gonna ask that you bring on the tl;dr. Now I'm all curious.

Okay then, I'm happy to help out. At least I hope it helps out.

Notes: Reimu Hakurei is playable is all main Touhou games. (Not including spinoffs)
Marisa Kirisame is playable in all main Touhou games after the second game. (Not including spinoffs)

This is only a short history. You can learn more about the series as a whole at The Touhou Wiki. NOT the Wikia.

1995: ZUN (A single man and sole creator of the Touhou franchise) creates the first two Touhou games, Highly Responsive to Prayers and Story of Eastern Wonderland. Both are made for the PC-98, a Japanese computer system. HRtP is a action oriented breakout style game, while SoEW is a 2D Bullet Hell shooter, which would then become the main genre for the series.

1997-1999: ZUN makes three more Touhou games during this time. All are Bullet Hell games and all are for the PC-98. These games plus the first two are not popular, with most of them selling around 300-400 copies. However, ZUN makes the games for his own amusement, rather than profit.

2002: After a three year break, ZUN makes the Sixth Touhou game, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. This is the first of many Touhou games made for Windows systems. The games are still Bullet Hell, but this game introduces the Spell Card system, which would become an important feature in the later games. They are essentially large barrages of bullets that make the opponent very strong. EoSD is a very popular game and gets the Touhou franchise going.

2002: The first Touhou music album, Dolls in Pseudo Paradise, is released. All the music is by ZUN and it features original music and remixes of songs from older Touhou games.

2003-2011: Touhou games Seven through Thirteen are made during these years, including spinoffs.

2004: Immaterial and Missing Power, the first Touhou fighting game, is released. This game is a collaboration between ZUN and a company called Twilight Frontier.

2005: The first Touhou artbook, Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, is released. It features comics and illustrations from various different people, and ZUN provides the writing for the story segments of the artbook.

2005: An offical Touhou spinoff, Shoot the Bullet, is released. It is made solely by ZUN, is a Bullet Hell game and focuses on taking pictures of Bullet Patterns rather than beating a boss. It is also the first Touhou game not to star Reimu Hakurei, the Main Protagonist of the series.

2007: A second Touhou fighting game, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, is released. Once again, it is a collab between ZUN and Twilight Frontier.

2007: The first Touhou manga, Eastern and Little Nature Deity, is released. It is illustrated by Nemu Matsukura, while ZUN provides the story once again.

2009: An expansion pack for SWR, Touhou Hisoutensoku, is released. It includes more characters, story modes paths, and stages. Twilight Frontier and ZUN are working on it as usual.

2010: A sequel to StB, Double Spoiler, is released. Once again there are Bullet patterns to be taken pictures of and Reimu is not playable.

2010: Another official Touhou spinoff, Fairy Wars, is released. Like StB and DS, Reimu is once again not playable and it also features a Bullet Hell style game with a twist. In this game, you must freeze bullets and make them collide with other bullets to clear the way. The game also features multiple routes. ZUN makes this game himself.

2011: The most recent Touhou game, Ten Desires, is released. It is part of the main line of games and is the Thirteenth game in the series. Made by ZUN solely, the game has a lower difficulty compared to the previous games in the franchise so newcomers can get into the games easier.

(Please let me know if this helped you out or if it was just plain confusing.)

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I challenge everyone to guess what my favorite Character, Spell Card (player and Boss), Boss Fight, and Song is.

Marisa, Freeze Sign "Perfect Freeze", Flandre Scarlet, Native faith.

Marisa was at one point my favorite character, though she has been replaced. Perfect Freeze is a cool card, but nowhere near my favorite. I am indifferent to the Flandre Boss Fight. And Native Faith is up there, but still not my favorite.

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT

Rin Tezuka wrote:

Okay then, I'm happy to help out. At least I hope it helps out.

Notes: Reimu Hakurei is playable is all main Touhou games. (Not including spinoffs)
Marisa Kirisame is playable in all main Touhou games after the second game. (Not including spinoffs)

This is only a short history. You can learn more about the series as a whole at The Touhou Wiki. NOT the Wikia.

1995: ZUN (A single man and sole creator of the Touhou franchise) creates the first two Touhou games, Highly Responsive to Prayers and Story of Eastern Wonderland. Both are made for the PC-98, a Japanese computer system. HRtP is a action oriented breakout style game, while SoEW is a 2D Bullet Hell shooter, which would then become the main genre for the series.

1997-1999: ZUN makes three more Touhou games during this time. All are Bullet Hell games and all are for the PC-98. These games plus the first two are not popular, with most of them selling around 300-400 copies. However, ZUN makes the games for his own amusement, rather than profit.

2002: After a three year break, ZUN makes the Sixth Touhou game, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. This is the first of many Touhou games made for Windows systems. The games are still Bullet Hell, but this game introduces the Spell Card system, which would become an important feature in the later games. They are essentially large barrages of bullets that make the opponent very strong. EoSD is a very popular game and gets the Touhou franchise going.

2002: The first Touhou music album, Dolls in Pseudo Paradise, is released. All the music is by ZUN and it features original music and remixes of songs from older Touhou games.

2003-2011: Touhou games Seven through Thirteen are made during these years, including spinoffs.

2004: Immaterial and Missing Power, the first Touhou fighting game, is released. This game is a collaboration between ZUN and a company called Twilight Frontier.

2005: The first Touhou artbook, Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, is released. It features comics and illustrations from various different people, and ZUN provides the writing for the story segments of the artbook.

2005: An offical Touhou spinoff, Shoot the Bullet, is released. It is made solely by ZUN, is a Bullet Hell game and focuses on taking pictures of Bullet Patterns rather than beating a boss. It is also the first Touhou game not to star Reimu Hakurei, the Main Protagonist of the series.

2007: A second Touhou fighting game, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, is released. Once again, it is a collab between ZUN and Twilight Frontier.

2007: The first Touhou manga, Eastern and Little Nature Deity, is released. It is illustrated by Nemu Matsukura, while ZUN provides the story once again.

2009: An expansion pack for SWR, Touhou Hisoutensoku, is released. It includes more characters, story modes paths, and stages. Twilight Frontier and ZUN are working on it as usual.

2010: A sequel to StB, Double Spoiler, is released. Once again there are Bullet patterns to be taken pictures of and Reimu is not playable.

2010: Another official Touhou spinoff, Fairy Wars, is released. Like StB and DS, Reimu is once again not playable and it also features a Bullet Hell style game with a twist. In this game, you must freeze bullets and make them collide with other bullets to clear the way. The game also features multiple routes. ZUN makes this game himself.

2011: The most recent Touhou game, Ten Desires, is released. It is part of the main line of games and is the Thirteenth game in the series. Made by ZUN solely, the game has a lower difficulty compared to the previous games in the franchise so newcomers can get into the games easier.

(Please let me know if this helped you out or if it was just plain confusing.)

Actually, yes, that does help. Though I do still have a question:

Does the game have a lot of story? Or is it more arcade-style? If it does have a story, is it very in depth?

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

Actually, yes, that does help. Though I do still have a question:

Does the game have a lot of story? Or is it more arcade-style? If it does have a story, is it very in depth?

It is Arcade Style, but the story manages to go more in-depth with every addition to the series.

Ann Hiro wrote:

I read Curiosities of Lotus Asia.
It stars Rinnosuke. why wouldn't I read it?

I've read it too, it's pretty good.
Rinnosuke pulls off the whole "Really smart but not" thing very well with all his presumptions on the Outside World and his interactions with other characters are good too. Marisa is golden when she's in it as well.

Your post also got me thinking about Rinnosuke's situation as a whole:

"Sorry ladies, gotta sort out my finances for my shop."

I don't personally consider myself a member of the Touhou fandom yet. I haven't yet played the games and I've read a little bit of the anime, and I have about one gigabyte of Touhou fan art on my hard drive, but I don't know enough about it to really be able to think of myself as being on the inside, which the people who have posted in this thread most likely do.

I guess I should give the same hints I gave in my stream:

My favorite character is playable in the Fight Games.
My favorite Spell Card has been used by more than one person. (For the record, I am aware of 11 of these if I am counting correctly.)
My favorite Player Spell Card has been used by more than one person, but it is different from the Enemy Spell Card.
My favorite Boss Fight is a 4th stage one.
My favorite Song is a Final Boss Theme.

--
This thread is now a Zombie:

Hory Seht! I've made a decent run on the 3rd stage of Scarlet Devil (Touhou 6) with 2 lives and 3 bombs left which is pretty much what you start with on default in the 1st stage, But I cound't save it because I Used a Continue on the 4th Stage Mid-Boss.

I'm not going to give up soon because is been so long since I actually made progress in Scarlet Devil and since I'm necroing this thread what's your favorite remix of touhou's music?

Last edited Sep 17, 2012 at 02:49PM EDT

I've gotta admit that I'm not hugely involved with the Touhou fanbase, but I'm a big fan of the music of the series. Mainly because you can find several remixes of various genres of your favourite songs.

I've actually learnt to play U.N Owen Was Her?, Nuclear Fusion, and a simple version of Heian Alien on the piano. I also know how to play some small clips of various other songs, but unfortunately not enough to be able to say I'd know how to play them fully.

I'm also a fan of the character design, even though I'm not all that familiar with the character backgrounds themselves.

I'm especially fond of the designs of Utsuho and Youmu.

And as for playing the games themselves?

Nah.

I'd just get beaten to a pulp. Even R-Type had more bullets flying than what was good for my health (or at least the last levels did).

FIGHTING GAME?
(I know about scarlet weather raphsody)
I HOPE IT HAS LEGIT FIGHTING GAME CONTROLS
I truly hope it would have better controls than than SWR…

Last edited Oct 05, 2012 at 12:16PM EDT

"The story is about the Taoist, Shinto and Buddhist groups fighting for power in the Human Village."

FUCKING CALLED IT!

And the game looks beautiful!

@Ann: The system looks more similar to Immaterial and Missing Power than SWR. Though along with the special attack bar from IaMP, I also see the Spirit Orbs that where in SWR and UNL. Scratch that, those are Round Victory Tokens.

I am also curious as to what those advantage percentages (?) are going to be used for. Larger Spellcards?

Last edited Oct 05, 2012 at 04:51PM EDT

Here's a translation of the game's prologue:

The terrors found in recurring disasters and unavoidable catastrophes.

They have brought pessimism to the human village.

A gloomy atmosphere swirls about the village.

But it's not a feeling of despair.

It's more like claustrophobia.

"Why not?"

Nobody knew who had said it, there was a feeling you could hear such voice.

If nothing is going to change, shouldn't we just do whatever we want?

We should just live for the moment.

Little by little the minds of humans in the village have become uncaring, and at the same time they have begun to fall into disorder.

There are those who view the scene from a different perspective; the religious.

They believe that they should seize control of the people who fell into disorder.

Because as well as restoring order, it would be a great opportunity to gather faith at the same time.

The priest who have built a temple in Gensokyo, the Taoist who abandon the material world and dream of immortality, and the shrine maiden who seeks rehabilitation.

They've all decided that it was the time to play "their role".

Now, with your beliefs as your weapons, battle with appeal and fight over your popularity!

Flimsy wrote:

The one who is more powerful than Yuyuko, Yukari, and Reimu combined (canon, ZUN said so himself)

Official Touhou thread rule: At some point in the thread, someone will bring up Power Levels.

Rin Tezuka wrote:

Official Touhou thread rule: At some point in the thread, someone will bring up Power Levels.

--

Anyways, about the fight game. Even though they said they would outright divide everyone up between Shinto, Buddisht, and Taoist; there is a ton of (somewhat mandatory) characters who don't exactly fit under those. Like Sakuya for example. Unless they add a "Unaffiliated" category, I don't exactly see how characters like that will fit.

Of course Girl Naoi Ayato is strongest
Of course Shikieiki is the strongest, and my favorite touhou.
Not only that she has green hair, and a hat, she has lengthy lectures, and judge, and what not.

--

Anyways, about the fight game. Even though they said they would outright divide everyone up between Shinto, Buddisht, and Taoist; there is a ton of (somewhat mandatory) characters who don't exactly fit under those. Like Sakuya for example. Unless they add a "Unaffiliated" category, I don't exactly see how characters like that will fit.

Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about whether the older characters (Anyone from TH6-9) will actually be in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, ZUN has been outright ignoring the fan's pleas to add Sakuya into a game, instead favouring Sanae over her.

Youmu, Yuyuko and Yukari might be in the game, but that's about it.

Personally, I hope Seiga is in the game. I'm hoping she'll be in with a zombie throwing move just like Jill in MvC2 and Frank in UMvC3.

Last edited Oct 06, 2012 at 04:28AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!