Forums / Discussion / General

171,313 total conversations in 5,504 threads

+ New Thread

Oh console wars...

Last posted Sep 16, 2012 at 11:17PM EDT. Added Sep 16, 2012 at 03:19PM EDT
18 posts from 17 users

It’s times like this that I like to sit back and laugh at people’s stupidity. From what I can gather, this game named Bayonetta (which I hadn’t heard of until now) was released on PS3/360 by Sega to a success, and gained a fairly large fanbase. Recently, Sega refused to publish a sequel to said game to to it having “not a large enough demographic”. So, Nintendo stepped in to publish a sequel to the game, meaning it would be a wii u exclusive. Fans didn’t like it.
To be fair, I certainly wouldn’t like it if Ace Attorney suddenly became an Xbox exclusive, but some of the reactions to this are hilarious, considering Nintendo sort of revived a series no one else wanted to. One of my favourites says “Bayonetta 2 on a toddlers console, what a great decision”. So what’s your perspective on the stupidness that is console wars?

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 03:23PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 03:19PM EDT

Random 21 wrote:

So what’s your perspective on the stupidness that is console wars?

I really don’t like picking a side in any console war.

Every console has exclusive games that I like so in the entire lifespan of a console generation I manage to get all consoles and play all the titles.

Every console has its advantages and disadvantages so I dont like picking one console over the other.

edit:

I know a lot of people here don’t like to choose sides on the console war, I more meant about their perspectives on how these sort of fanboys argue.

Oh.
I really dislike most console fanboy arguments because from what I’ve seen around Engadget, Joystiq and other blogs, most of them dont have any real foundation for their arguments. Its mostly just calling everyone retarded without a reason. Some do use specs and other details, but mostly people just resort to name calling.

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 03:47PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 03:29PM EDT

ivanp wrote:

Random 21 wrote:

So what’s your perspective on the stupidness that is console wars?

I really don’t like picking a side in any console war.

Every console has exclusive games that I like so in the entire lifespan of a console generation I manage to get all consoles and play all the titles.

Every console has its advantages and disadvantages so I dont like picking one console over the other.

edit:

I know a lot of people here don’t like to choose sides on the console war, I more meant about their perspectives on how these sort of fanboys argue.

Oh.
I really dislike most console fanboy arguments because from what I’ve seen around Engadget, Joystiq and other blogs, most of them dont have any real foundation for their arguments. Its mostly just calling everyone retarded without a reason. Some do use specs and other details, but mostly people just resort to name calling.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:33PM EDT

>console wars

why.jpg

(No, really, I don’t get them. And before you ask I didn’t really pick sides back in the days of the SEGA-Nintendo rivalry. I had an N64 with a number of games, a megadrive with many of the Sonic games (I lacked 3D… and Sonic & Knuckles.) 6th gen I actually had 3 of the 4 consoles (6th gen started back with the Dreamcast. Only one I never had was a PS2.) Current gen I’ve only had a Wii. The reason being Sonic. (It did cost me the better version of Unleashed… but it can be arguably worth it for avoiding THAT game…) So… yeah. And of course PC comes in for internets and some games (including Sonic Generations)

Also, news of this is on Sonic Retro.

SEGA’s serving as an advisor anyway, so all company-related arguments are invalid.

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 03:36PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 03:34PM EDT

I can actually understand the Bayonetta fans being upset about it being a Wii U exclusive. This would mean that they would have to spend hundreds of bucks just to play the sequel to a game they liked. You could argue that they should be happy Bayonetta is even recieving a sequel, but knowing how the Wii went (we all do), they have no guarantee that purchasing one for the game alone will be a good investment.

Like a lot of people, I’m opposed to the console wars because it’s bad for the games industry. But so are console exclusives. Gamers get ripped off because they have to pay (a lot of) extra money for a game they want (or miss the game entirely to save money), and developers are kept from making a bigger profit off their games. The only winners here are the Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. I just wish people would realize that.

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 04:08PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 03:53PM EDT

About the console war; I share all the same opinions this guy does (except his console order of preference):

And to put this in perspective, Xbox 720 and PS4 won’t be coming out for a few more years. I am actually happy so much attention is being given to the new console!

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:03PM EDT

My first console was the N64 and I think that will always be my favorite.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:11PM EDT

My family has always been a Nintendo family. Though my Grandmother in Benton Harbor also has a Sega Dreamcast and I’ve played that as well. That’s pretty much the only real expirence with other consoles I’ve had.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:16PM EDT

All I know is that my PS3 has Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Journey, Metal Gear Solid, Okami, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Uncharted, and The Last of Us, and there’s no way in hell that I’m giving all that up to yell at children on Halo for $60 a year.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT

Nothing will ever beat the original Playstation.
It had a big library with a lot of good games. Why are we even bothering with other consoles if we could all just own Playstation 1s?

Seriously though, it’s like Coke vs. Pepsi, only worse. Imagine not liking Pepsi because “it’s for babies”. Not for any legitimate reasons, like “it’s too sweet” or “it has an aftertaste,” just “it’s marketed towards babies.” How close-minded and shallow.

I’ll admit that I’m a little “childphobic” as well, I can’t play games with cutesy protagonists or cheesy humor, but to be so centered on it that you can’t play anything that even attempts a sense of fun is ridiculous.

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:09PM EDT

Personally i prefer xbox but console wars are like PC and Mac its personal preference. I don’t like wii or ps3 because i prefer the xbox qualties more. What i hate the most is “Consoles are inferior PC is the master for gaming”

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT

Really!? B-But I loved that game! Why would they--

….

Fine, Sega. I’ll just deal with it, I guess..

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:35PM EDT

I grew up with a Sega Genesis 2… It was my first console, and it was the hypest thing ever to me… I played so much Sonic that a song from the game would be stuck in my head at all times… I still remember how excited I was when I beat Double Dragons 2 The Revenge… And how angry I was when the console died after the credits of Doom rolled through all the way because I had put God Mode on. (And, yes I had the 32X to play Doom. That’s just how cool I am.)

As the Genesis was my first console, it will always be the best to me… This is something I see a lot in gamers, a sort of nostalgiafagging trend in regards to game consoles.

A person who grew up with an N64 will tell you about how the 64’s game line up was amazing (Super Mario 64, Pokemon Stadium, Goldeneye, etc), and if there was ever a problem with your game, you just blew into the cartridge and all your problems would disappear… Just as a person who grew up with a PSX will tell you all about the “amazing graphics” in Final Fantasy 7’s cutscenes, and of course, the number one game of the PS1, Metal Gear Solid (cough so good cough).

What does this have to do with current gen consoles, though?

Mind you, this is really just a hunch, but… Every preference in console comes from what you played as a kid, or a beginning gamer. One of my friends started out an N64, now he actually thinks the Wii is a completely worthwhile console. Another started off with an Xbox, now he says 360 is the way to go. I started off with the Genesis 2, now I just drift from console to console to hide my anguish from lack of good Sonic games in the past decade or so (I’m looking at you, Sonic 2006). If you want my perspective (which you probably don’t, but oh well), it’s basically this:

Nintendo did well with this console, for the most part. Its graphics aren’t really up to current gen specs, but with the combined efforts of several game companies and Nintendo’s more steadfast execs, the console has held down some great titles, like Super Mario Galaxy, MadWorld, and (a personal favorite) No More Heroes. Coupled with the power of nostalgia from everyone who gets a rager from Link’s spin attack shout, the feeling of hitting someone else’s cart with a shell, and smashing someone off the platform of Final Destination, the Wii has more pulling power than most give it credit for. That being said,

Sony is quite dear to my heart. Despite my attempts at unbiased judging, I feel compelled to call it my favorite of the three, even though it still having several flaws, such as network downs every few weeks for maintenance, and ridiculously bad download rates for updates… But I have to say that the graphics the PS3 delivers is amazing, the list of games (while starting off horribly) has grown to the point where it’s library is almost to that of the Xbox 360’s, one around 750, the other around 900. Another note of merit is its free online service, though major points off for the LulzSec hacks.

A console with current gen graphics, a reliable online service, and a well stocked online store all combines to make a conglomeration of awesomeness within the SeXbox 369. Despite it being considered a casual gamer system due to the high number of (current war FPS game) fans, it actually redeems itself quite nicely with things like the XBLA, which help you feel like the dirty wannabe hipster we all are. The controller is also a favorite of mine, as I have freakishly large hands and the large frame of the 360 makes me feel better about myself, while the PS3’s dainty thing makes me SMH. Then again, with the technical problems the console has, like how it scratches discs when you stand them up while they’re running, or the classic RROD, make this a console to be wary of.

As it’s related and humorous at the same time, without all that nasty reading.

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT

I don’t know about you guys but I am going to wait for the next generation of consoles and the online features they implement to come out before I pick my gaming system. I kind of think the console wars are beneficial to the games industry because it ignites a bit of competition to weed out the weaker companies which fail to compete in the gaming industry. Plus the introduction of the OUYA (an android based system which is not intended to compete with major gaming systems) will spice up the composition of the gaming market. The better product will mostly prevail through consumer awareness and blind faith in an industry is dangerous and will degenerate the industry.

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:30PM EDT

Muffins Wrote:

I can actually understand the Bayonetta fans being upset about it being a Wii U exclusive. This would mean that they would have to spend hundreds of bucks just to play the sequel to a game they liked.

This would be understandable if Nintendo snatched the title away at the last minute but in reality, Bayonetta 2 was a dead game, it was going to be cancelled never to see the light of day. Bayonetta fans have two choices:

1) Let Nintendo Step in and make it a WiiU exclusive
2) Let the game be relegated to the dustbins of history

Muffins wrote:

and developers are kept from making a bigger profit off their games. The only winners here are the Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. I just wish people would realize that.

I’m sorry to break it to you but developers don’t benefit if their game sells in the millions. Publishers go to a studio and say “We will pay you X amount of dollars to produce Y game” and the Studio does it.

Sometimes they get royalties and bonuses but not always, the proceeds of the sales go to the publisher. For example, did you know Obsidian entertainment, the makers of Fallout:New Vegas, were denied a bonus because their game did not reach 85% on metacritic?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/obsidian-denied-bonus-over-new-vegas-metacritic-score-studio-head-6366337

If all this seems unfair to you…why do you think Kickstarter is getting so popular?

Anyway, as a Nintendo fan. I’ll go back to playing my Final Fantasy and Rareware games on my Nintendo console….oh wait.

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:03PM EDT

In my honest opinion, console wars are quite possibly the dumbest thing achieved by the internet. People need to focus on how good the video games are, not how stylish the boxes that you put them in are. I can understand being unable to purchase a new console just to play one game, but things like this are just ridiculous. Personally, I’ve always preferred using a PC to play games, but when it comes to consoles, I use primarily Nintendo, but I have Sony and Microsoft too.
And in response to the quoted comment: So, any video games without massive amounts of violence and gore are for toddlers now?

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 11:10PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:09PM EDT

My bias in the Gran Turismo vs. Forza wars carries over into my bias in the console wars. I bought a PS3 solely on the grounds that it had Gran Turismo 5 and XBox didn’t. Even though it took three years for GT5 for come out after I bought my PS3, never once have I regretted buying it over an XBox; not because I felt like the PS3 was better in any way but because I couldn’t see any reason to choose one over the other, so I was perfectly fine with the choice I’d made. I’m an extremely casual gamer, so I have no desire to pay for online access, and you’ll find only two games in my Steam library, TF2 and Civ V. And there’s Minecraft, too. So, yeah. Sometimes I like to play vidya games. But not often. The console war is ridiculous.

I do have a Wii, and I very much enjoy it, but for some reason I never felt it could be compared to the PS3 or XBox. It was just too much of a different system to me, for whatever reason, to say it was better or worse.

Last edited Sep 16, 2012 at 11:18PM EDT
Sep 16, 2012 at 11:17PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!