Forums / Discussion / General

168,574 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread


What bothers you the most about know your meme

Last posted Oct 27, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT. Added Sep 29, 2012 at 03:30PM EDT
214 posts from 69 users

Personal unanswered grudges.

I’m sure quite some of us have experienced or witnessed this on the site one or multiple times, suddenly having all your posts downvoted for no reason besides a most likely personal grudge someone has against you.

If you want to fix the issue you have against that user, contact him in a calm and reasonable way and see if you can work it out. Point him out on what he did that made you dislike him, perhaps even give him some tips in what ways he can improve the quality of his activity on the site. You’re on this site together, so help each other out to make it a better experience for both of you.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:45PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Personal unanswered grudges.

I’m sure quite some of us have experienced or witnessed this on the site one or multiple times, suddenly having all your posts downvoted for no reason besides a most likely personal grudge someone has against you.

If you want to fix the issue you have against that user, contact him in a calm and reasonable way and see if you can work it out. Point him out on what he did that made you dislike him, perhaps even give him some tips in what ways he can improve the quality of his activity on the site. You’re on this site together, so help each other out to make it a better experience for both of you.

But, what if we’re constantly being downvoted by one random person whom we do not know?

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:39PM EDT
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

But, what if we’re constantly being downvoted by one random person whom we do not know?

That’s what I’m pointing out to.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:48PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

That’s what I’m pointing out to.

Ah.

Well, if anybody has a grudge with me, they’d better own up!

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:07PM EDT
Quote

People who are instantly deadpooling a meme entry, of course.

They are like:

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:53AM EDT
Quote

Don and Brad with their constant dead horse beating FUCKING when it comes to their “meme” entries.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they get paid to force memes. Oh wait, THEY DO.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:08AM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

RandomMan wrote:

Personal unanswered grudges.

I’m sure quite some of us have experienced or witnessed this on the site one or multiple times, suddenly having all your posts downvoted for no reason besides a most likely personal grudge someone has against you.

If you want to fix the issue you have against that user, contact him in a calm and reasonable way and see if you can work it out. Point him out on what he did that made you dislike him, perhaps even give him some tips in what ways he can improve the quality of his activity on the site. You’re on this site together, so help each other out to make it a better experience for both of you.

O U better run lil bunny

cuz when I catch you

PS I downvoted you

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:10AM EDT
Quote

I do appreciate the brutal honesty that users have.
Sometimes a bit too brutal.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:18AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

O U better run lil bunny

cuz when I catch you

PS I downvoted you

I downvoted you and all I know is that you post tons of shit quality furry pictures.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:31AM EDT
Quote

@Beat

Don and Brad with their constant dead horse beating FUCKING when it comes to their “meme” entries.

I have to question this statement. I get the sneaking suspicion that you look at their 2000+ editorships and assume they are responsible for creation of all of them. When really the majority of what Brad and Don do is edit the articles that other people create, including other peoples forced memes. What memes are they themselves constantly forcing?

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:43AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Beat

Don and Brad with their constant dead horse beating FUCKING when it comes to their “meme” entries.

I have to question this statement. I get the sneaking suspicion that you look at their 2000+ editorships and assume they are responsible for creation of all of them. When really the majority of what Brad and Don do is edit the articles that other people create, including other peoples forced memes. What memes are they themselves constantly forcing?

I don’t know, but pardon while I try to find an Advice Animal spin-off that I could use to turn the situation with humor.

Perhaps I could use Sudden Clarity Clarence

Thats a real hoot among tens of people.

Or maybe Forever Resentful Mother

I’m sure I’ve seen it once on 4chan, that means it HAS to be funny!

I know! Priority Peter!

Its all over that one guys page on tumblr!

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:08AM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

@Beat

LURK MOAR FAGGOT
@Thread
Newfags from 9fag that think they can talk shit

Last edited Oct 19, 2012 at 04:56AM EDT
Oct 19, 2012 at 04:53AM EDT
Quote

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

Don and Brad with their constant dead horse beating FUCKING when it comes to their “meme” entries.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they get paid to force memes. Oh wait, THEY DO.

Describe “forced”.

Because all I see here is ignorance. By what you state as “forced”, to you they create entries that have no spread at all and aren’t mentioned anywhere besides maybe one image.

But when I dig through all their entries, they constantly are able to show me spread. They show where it originated, and how many replies the original got. Areas it spread to, each generating dozens if not hundreds of new variations of that meme. Each entry they create shows clear signs of spread, and many sharing it amongst each others.

And isn’t that what a meme is about? Something that is shared, used and enjoyed by people online?

Just because you don’t like it or the places you visit don’t share it, doesn’t mean it’s no longer able to be a meme. It didn’t reach the spread it has if there weren’t people who liked it. The masses decide what becomes popular and can reach meme status, not you, nor Brad or Don. But at least they are able to not let their personal opinion get in the way when judging a meme, unlike you.


On that note, that’s something I dislike on KYM: Users who blindly call new entries “forced” or “not a meme” while the entry clearly shows it has reached the factors needed to make it a meme. Look before you post people, it’s not that hard. And just because we made an entry doesn’t mean we confirmed it yet or ever will, stop jumping the gun so quickly.

Last edited Oct 19, 2012 at 09:02AM EDT
Oct 19, 2012 at 08:48AM EDT
Quote

One thing that annoys me on the forums is people posting “Look at all the fucks I give” images in threads they don’t like, especially the huge ones.

If you don’t like it, why post in it?
Unless it’s just a total fucking waste thread, don’t bother.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:08AM EDT
Quote

i hate both people who jump the gun on deadpool-calling new memes as well as people who jump the gun on making new meme entries

like someone said before, KYM is not a race for making new entries, you don’t have to contribute by finding something slightly popular on the internet and posting it on KYM,

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:48AM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

I also hate it when people make the argument that KYM isn’t liberal because “X candidate is an idiot.” I’ve been listening to that for every Rebublican candidate in the spotlight since I joined; the argument is fallacious. Seriously, you disagreeing with someone is not grounds for stupidity.

I don’t get what you’re saying.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:05PM EDT
Quote

@Beat

All of those 3 examples you provided originated on /r/AdviceAnimals on Reddit and from there spread throughout tumblr and it’s neighbors enough to be notable. All of this is clearly documented on their respective articles.

I see no evidence that Don or Brad had any part in propagating the spread of those memes themselves. If they were the ones forcing those memes, we should see that. Instead all I see is; two of the biggest contributors in KYM simply doing their job. None of your examples had even been revisited by Don or Brad in days, they aren’t pushing to have any of them confirmed at all.

I have to say that I dislike how ungrateful you sound. Don and Brad do a large majority of all the work around here so by sheer probability they will end up creating more advice animal articles compared to everyone else. That has nothing to do with them favoring advice animals over any other meme. I don’t see how we should blame them because they aren’t the ones pushing those memes, they are just the ones with enough initiative to document everything.

I really get the impression that you just hate advice animals so much that you have passive aggressively resorted to lashing out at the people who document them even though they have no hand in their usage.

Shouldn’t you be accusing /r/Adviceanimals for “fucking a dead horse” as you so eloquently put it?

Last edited Oct 19, 2012 at 10:06PM EDT
Oct 19, 2012 at 10:02PM EDT
Quote

Beat wrote:

Don and Brad with their constant dead horse beating FUCKING when it comes to their “meme” entries.
If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they get paid to force memes. Oh wait, THEY DO.

I have to say that I disagree with this statement. And just to make sure that this was the right decision, I actually took the time to look through the entries created by Don and Brad, especially ones that they’re working on solo, and I must say that I’m impressed. They manage to properly document spread, origin and search interest in their entries, and that’s the goal of an entry to begin with.

Secondly, the way you put it, it makes it seem like Don and Brad are arriving late to the party when it comes to entry submissions, due to your “dead horse” metaphor. I strongly disagree with that. They usually submit entries on internet trends the moment they break through into the relative mainstream, which is important because KYM’s goal is to try to document every internet trend, is it not?

I don’t think the admins always need to be the first to submit entries on new memes. I know it’s their jobs to do so, and I can’t fault them for that, but it’s not like it’s a race or anything…I’m sure some of our more active entry contributors would get the entries up there in good time.
I’m a newer member. If I were to submit an entry on an Advice Animal macro that was only a few days old, it would most likely be filled with “Deadpool” comments, and deadpooled soon after submission. But if an older, more respected member created the entry, it would likely be lauded.

Tomberry states that members must earn trust before they can be considered “old.” And Jack Candle says that once you know the rules, you can break them. Is this fair? To a point. Once you’ve earned trust, you can’t abuse that trust, obviously. But you can get away with more. And because you had to earn that trust, you’ve earned the right to be treated more leniently.

If a new user makes a thread of lesser quality, it would be filled with “Quality” posts and then locked. But if an older member does it, it’s considered to be funny and a legitimate thread. Again, though, they’ve earned the right to be treated more leniently. Am I insulting any of the moderators, users or administrators? Of course not; I would never want to do that. But from what I’ve seen, things just appear to work that way on this site.
I try to be as productive as I can when commenting on an entry. As for sh@tposting in threads, when I see a topic I don’t think I can contribute to, I move on to the next topic. I think that if Rule 2 is to be enforced, the moderators shouldn’t be too tough on users, but they should definitely delete posts with the intention of derailing, regardless of whether or not the users who post the derail are old or new.
Every time I go to the Textile thread, I jump because of the “I just wasted 10 seconds of your life” song. I hate, hate HATE that. As for autoplaying music on profiles, if people want to do it, who am I to be mad at them for it? Usually, I’ll listen to the first few seconds of the song, and mute it if I don’t like what I’m hearing.I don’t complain when I come across autoplay, though. Again, if they like it, let them do it.

Profile themes can be pretty annoying, though. But again, even if it’s excessive, I don’t complain because if the user likes to have a profile theme, then by all means, let them have their fun.
I give a lot more upvotes than I do downvotes. Why? Because the user I downvote most likely wouldn’t want to have a downvote added to their net karma. I want to make people happy on this site, and they probably wouldn’t be happy if they received downvotes, so I give them sparingly. As for upvotes, I always give them AFTER I’ve read the poster’s post. I don’t give upvotes just because a user is old or in a position of power, either. I think it cheapens the reason the karma system was implemented to begin with.

Also, on the topic of r/AdviceAnimals being a horse-beater, I think that the people who use that subreddit do a pretty good job of staying on top of macros and consistently moving on to the next, new, popular ones and letting the older ones that have run their course die out. Occasionally, you will see them resurrected, but it’s not very common in comparison. So, yeah, can’t say that they excessively horse-beat either.

Last edited Oct 19, 2012 at 11:23PM EDT
Oct 19, 2012 at 11:22PM EDT
Quote

@Fun Police:

About your first 2 points combined: Yes, it’s irritating that the admins make early articles. However, most users, even old ones, will say it’s too early in the comments. Often you’ll even get the deadpool comments on those.

As for downvotes, I like what your policy. Realize that downvotes are meant to be used against posts that break forum rules: off topic, gore, spam, or just plain rude. Negakarma has a reason to exist, but many users don’t know how to properly use it. It’s not really a matter of making them unhappy for me, it’s a matter of rule upholding.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:37PM EDT
Quote

I hate how often I see the same threads popping up over and over again, each less varied than the last. Basically, there are three threads that get made:
1) Beat the picture above you threads.
2) Rate the user above you’s avatar.
3) Pony general threads.
And damn do I sometimes hate the community. I’ve been here for years and I won’t sugar coat it- KYM users are some of the least original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit online… but damn do I love you guys.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:13AM EDT

SexyThang wrote:

I hate how often I see the same threads popping up over and over again, each less varied than the last. Basically, there are three threads that get made:
1) Beat the picture above you threads.
2) Rate the user above you’s avatar.
3) Pony general threads.
And damn do I sometimes hate the community. I’ve been here for years and I won’t sugar coat it- KYM users are some of the least original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit online… but damn do I love you guys.

I feel the same way about the community.
The whole internet is full of un-original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit. As soon as someone comes up with something original the internet turns it into an un-original, pretentious, overbearing piece of shit.
As far as the threads, you could try to make a thread that isn’t just the same old shit.

EDIT: PS why is everyone responding to Beat as though he isn’t just a troll? This is the third post I have seen him be rude and put down users look into his forum posts, pics, and activity. feels like warcraftnerd to me. I wasn’t out of line for saying he’s an asshole.

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 12:35AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:29AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

I feel the same way about the community.
The whole internet is full of un-original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit. As soon as someone comes up with something original the internet turns it into an un-original, pretentious, overbearing piece of shit.
As far as the threads, you could try to make a thread that isn’t just the same old shit.

EDIT: PS why is everyone responding to Beat as though he isn’t just a troll? This is the third post I have seen him be rude and put down users look into his forum posts, pics, and activity. feels like warcraftnerd to me. I wasn’t out of line for saying he’s an asshole.

I don’t mean to get personal but ^he bothers me a lot.

It’s mostly the furry porn.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:34AM EDT
Quote

SexyThang wrote:

I hate how often I see the same threads popping up over and over again, each less varied than the last. Basically, there are three threads that get made:
1) Beat the picture above you threads.
2) Rate the user above you’s avatar.
3) Pony general threads.
And damn do I sometimes hate the community. I’ve been here for years and I won’t sugar coat it- KYM users are some of the least original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit online… but damn do I love you guys.

As for 3), there’s only one active Pony General thread, and in terms of just plain ol’ ponying around, there will only be one active Pony General thread. It’s just really active. Ponies aren’t against the rules, so not much can be done about that, but it’s what bothers you. Can’t do much about those being your thoughts either.
 
And in terms of what Daniel Vazquez said, that’s about all you can do: post on-topic, creative posts and make new, interesting threads. You might even go to other forums and see what ideas and threads you can bring over here. I’ve considered doing that myself, but I just don’t have the time/effort at the time being.

Also, unlike many forums, KYM has come to be focused less on content and more on community. You sorta have to be a certain kind of user to usually get along here. So yeah, there’s a bit of sucking up (which I hate), a bit of favoritism (which I loathe) a bit of hugboxing, and all of that. The focus isn’t on the topic at hand as much as it is people waiting for users they know and like to come in and be themselves. But in that, we have a unique community. I’d rather be here than on 4chan (most of the time.)

In other forums (especially when you can post anonymously,) the focus isn’t so much on the users as it is contributing to a specific topic or idea. You’re going to get creativity from that. It’s a tradeoff.


EDIT: I won’t stop you, but I would suggest we not comment on individual users here. People will respond, people will respond back, becomes argument, and then we gotta lock stuff.

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:43AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

I don’t mean to get personal but ^he bothers me a lot.

It’s mostly the furry porn.

what porn? this is a “SFW” site. I can’t post porn. This is what I don’t like, people who don’t know what they are talking about and people who pass judgment on others because I like something they don’t. If I posted homestuck trolls kissing would that be ok with you? Would we be BFF’s then?

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

I feel the same way about the community.
The whole internet is full of un-original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit. As soon as someone comes up with something original the internet turns it into an un-original, pretentious, overbearing piece of shit.
As far as the threads, you could try to make a thread that isn’t just the same old shit.

EDIT: PS why is everyone responding to Beat as though he isn’t just a troll? This is the third post I have seen him be rude and put down users look into his forum posts, pics, and activity. feels like warcraftnerd to me. I wasn’t out of line for saying he’s an asshole.

The irony in this post is just blowing my mind.

Seriously, if you’re going to complain about someone being rude, don’t be just as rude. Makes you look hypocritical.

And Verbose is right, as he ninja’d me. I’m out.

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 12:46AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

The irony in this post is just blowing my mind.

Seriously, if you’re going to complain about someone being rude, don’t be just as rude. Makes you look hypocritical.

And Verbose is right, as he ninja’d me. I’m out.

there is no irony. I’m calling out a troll or am I supposed to be all love and tolerance to someone who is an obvious troll?

EDIT: I have already given him the benefit of the doubt when he posted this

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 01:11AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:52AM EDT
Quote

Okay, fine. “Maybe” Don and Brad aren’t to blame after peeking into then instantly cutting off said eye after looking at the shithole /r/adviceanimals most certainly IS.

But even if these “memes” are “popular” as using “parentheses” to sound “sarcastic” and “take the piss-y” you could at least take the time to let them simmer or something. And even THEN I think I’ve used the meme(?) Super Robo Jesus more than I’ve used any advice animal.

But whatever, just because the memes I used as examples are memes, doesn’t mean they’re very good.

Isn’t that right, Introspective Pug?

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:17AM EDT
Quote

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

Okay, fine. “Maybe” Don and Brad aren’t to blame after peeking into then instantly cutting off said eye after looking at the shithole /r/adviceanimals most certainly IS.

But even if these “memes” are “popular” as using “parentheses” to sound “sarcastic” and “take the piss-y” you could at least take the time to let them simmer or something. And even THEN I think I’ve used the meme(?) Super Robo Jesus more than I’ve used any advice animal.

But whatever, just because the memes I used as examples are memes, doesn’t mean they’re very good.

Isn’t that right, Introspective Pug?

Did you, I don’t know, consider that your choice of words isn’t helping your case here?

I get your point, and I agree with it. Most of the admin articles lately are from threads within a day, and they really need some time to simmer. But I don’t know if saying it like you are is necessarily the best way to put it, especially if someone in here thinks you’re a troll (I’ve seen you have valid, contributing, thought-out posts in the past, so I’m letting you slide on that).

Also, we don’t force memes. We document them. I don’t know if you checked, but every single one of the articles you used as examples (save Forever Resentful Mother, which, if you’d checked, you would know has had a respectable amount of spread for the past eight months) are in submission hell right now. For an article by a staff member (and we’ve already been over that enough in this thread, so don’t even bother commenting on that), that might as well be a deadpool. Also, funny you should mention Introspective Pug, considering the article was created by a Gold Member then taken by Don for cleanup and research.

But whatever, just because the memes I used as examples are memes, doesn’t mean they’re very good.

Good meme, bad meme, that doesn’t matter. They’re memes. We don’t document “funny shit”, which a lot of entry-comments-only users don’t really get. We document memes, no matter how good, bad, or stupid they are. But you’re right, if those “memes” don’t spread, then they’re not something we confirm.

C’mon, man. I’m trying to take your side here, but that argument was riddled with so many holes.

PS Super Robo Jesus is a KYM in-joke. Technically this means it’s a KYM meme, but it’s certainly not an internet meme.

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 01:57AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 01:49AM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Did you, I don’t know, consider that your choice of words isn’t helping your case here?

I get your point, and I agree with it. Most of the admin articles lately are from threads within a day, and they really need some time to simmer. But I don’t know if saying it like you are is necessarily the best way to put it, especially if someone in here thinks you’re a troll (I’ve seen you have valid, contributing, thought-out posts in the past, so I’m letting you slide on that).

Also, we don’t force memes. We document them. I don’t know if you checked, but every single one of the articles you used as examples (save Forever Resentful Mother, which, if you’d checked, you would know has had a respectable amount of spread for the past eight months) are in submission hell right now. For an article by a staff member (and we’ve already been over that enough in this thread, so don’t even bother commenting on that), that might as well be a deadpool. Also, funny you should mention Introspective Pug, considering the article was created by a Gold Member then taken by Don for cleanup and research.

But whatever, just because the memes I used as examples are memes, doesn’t mean they’re very good.

Good meme, bad meme, that doesn’t matter. They’re memes. We don’t document “funny shit”, which a lot of entry-comments-only users don’t really get. We document memes, no matter how good, bad, or stupid they are. But you’re right, if those “memes” don’t spread, then they’re not something we confirm.

C’mon, man. I’m trying to take your side here, but that argument was riddled with so many holes.

PS Super Robo Jesus is a KYM in-joke. Technically this means it’s a KYM meme, but it’s certainly not an internet meme.

Firstly: You pretty much took what I said and made it boring.

Secondly: I KNOW that KYM doesn’t force memes. I KNOW the memes I took were just submissions. And I CERTAINLY know that memes aren’t just funny haha shit your pants stuff. But those entries wouldn’t have been made unless there already was some spread.

And saying whatever was me just trying to dodge the “But wait, you’re wrong” bullet that was inevitable and easy to see but is still impossible to dodge.

In short, what I said was, “I don’t like something so I’m going to bitch about blah blah blah BLAH.”

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:02AM EDT
Quote

[edit: Twilitlord ninja’d me so this turned out to be a repeat of what he said]

You know, Beat. It’s not as if a submission = meme. Nothing is a meme until it gets confirmed so there’s really nothing to be upset about when yet another crappy advice animal gets documented even though we all know it will most likely go nowhere when /r/Adviceanimals short attention span expires

I never claimed your examples were memes, nor did I claim they were good. They aren’t, but the fact that those entries exist is actually the very concept of letting them simmer that you ask for

You see: It’s okay to document something under the premise that it could be a potential meme even if it is not. If it turns out to be a meme then it gets confirmed, if not, it goes back on the shelf. Using the article to discuss and observe the phenomenon until it becomes a meme or not is that exact process of simmering.

Does that make sense?


@Daniel

PS why is everyone responding to Beat as though he isn’t just a troll? This is the third post I have seen him be rude and put down users look into his forum posts, pics, and activity. feels like warcraftnerd to me. I wasn’t out of line for saying he’s an asshole.

there is no irony. I’m calling out a troll or am I supposed to be all love and tolerance to someone who is an obvious troll?

I don’t think Beat is trolling. Just misguided (and with a tendency to run his mouth off). Nobody is asking you to love and tolerate but responding to rudeness with rudeness isn’t helping. Jeez dude what has gotten into you today? You’re trolling it up more than anyone else here right now

You okay man?


@SexyThang

I hate how often I see the same threads popping up over and over again, each less varied than the last. Basically, there are three threads that get made:
1) Beat the picture above you threads.
2) Rate the user above you’s avatar.
3) Pony general threads.
And damn do I sometimes hate the community. I’ve been here for years and I won’t sugar coat it- KYM users are some of the least original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit online… but damn do I love you guys.

Really? I have been posting on a lot of forums and while KYM isn’t the most creative, it certainly isn’t the worst. I’ve still seen plenty of creativity come out of here

Sure we have a million drawing threads but at least we have guys with enough creative ambition to make those sort of things in the first place so this forum isn’t always copypasta. Take creative geniuses like Ox Doxon for example and his 5 stages thread.

I agree we have too much “do X to user above you” stuff, I’ll give you that. But lets not ignore things like the mafia games, Nation RP, zombie apocalypse, mandatory shoops etc. where at least people are making things up and using their heads

Basically what I’m saying is that I’ve seen worse.

Oh, and the reason you see Pony Generals all the time is because the thread gets too big and has to be rebooted. It’s actually just one thread divided among several.

On the other hand to have every right to complain about recurring threads like “Post your music!!111!111!11”. Those aren’t creative at all

And on a final note: love you too sweetie.

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 02:20AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 02:18AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

[edit: Twilitlord ninja’d me so this turned out to be a repeat of what he said]

You know, Beat. It’s not as if a submission = meme. Nothing is a meme until it gets confirmed so there’s really nothing to be upset about when yet another crappy advice animal gets documented even though we all know it will most likely go nowhere when /r/Adviceanimals short attention span expires

I never claimed your examples were memes, nor did I claim they were good. They aren’t, but the fact that those entries exist is actually the very concept of letting them simmer that you ask for

You see: It’s okay to document something under the premise that it could be a potential meme even if it is not. If it turns out to be a meme then it gets confirmed, if not, it goes back on the shelf. Using the article to discuss and observe the phenomenon until it becomes a meme or not is that exact process of simmering.

Does that make sense?


@Daniel

PS why is everyone responding to Beat as though he isn’t just a troll? This is the third post I have seen him be rude and put down users look into his forum posts, pics, and activity. feels like warcraftnerd to me. I wasn’t out of line for saying he’s an asshole.

there is no irony. I’m calling out a troll or am I supposed to be all love and tolerance to someone who is an obvious troll?

I don’t think Beat is trolling. Just misguided (and with a tendency to run his mouth off). Nobody is asking you to love and tolerate but responding to rudeness with rudeness isn’t helping. Jeez dude what has gotten into you today? You’re trolling it up more than anyone else here right now

You okay man?


@SexyThang

I hate how often I see the same threads popping up over and over again, each less varied than the last. Basically, there are three threads that get made:
1) Beat the picture above you threads.
2) Rate the user above you’s avatar.
3) Pony general threads.
And damn do I sometimes hate the community. I’ve been here for years and I won’t sugar coat it- KYM users are some of the least original, pretentious, overbearing pieces of shit online… but damn do I love you guys.

Really? I have been posting on a lot of forums and while KYM isn’t the most creative, it certainly isn’t the worst. I’ve still seen plenty of creativity come out of here

Sure we have a million drawing threads but at least we have guys with enough creative ambition to make those sort of things in the first place so this forum isn’t always copypasta. Take creative geniuses like Ox Doxon for example and his 5 stages thread.

I agree we have too much “do X to user above you” stuff, I’ll give you that. But lets not ignore things like the mafia games, Nation RP, zombie apocalypse, mandatory shoops etc. where at least people are making things up and using their heads

Basically what I’m saying is that I’ve seen worse.

Oh, and the reason you see Pony Generals all the time is because the thread gets too big and has to be rebooted. It’s actually just one thread divided among several.

On the other hand to have every right to complain about recurring threads like “Post your music!!111!111!11”. Those aren’t creative at all

And on a final note: love you too sweetie.

Since when is trolling doing the same thing everyone else is doing but saying “fuck” and “shit” a few more times?

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:21AM EDT
Quote

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

Since when is trolling doing the same thing everyone else is doing but saying “fuck” and “shit” a few more times?

Be friendly. We want our forums to be welcoming place for both old and new users. Please keep your comments and posts constructive and considerate in tone.


Forum rule. I’m not from the Internet, and I’ve been taught to be cordial. So I don’t see any need to be inflammatory (a sign of trolling) to try to avoid “being boring.”

In any case, I’m not going to discuss that on here any further. I’ll discuss it with you personally if we must once I wake up tomorrow. Just remember that everyone sees what you’re typing, (and the mods love to lurk,) and that people come to respect you/disrespect you based off of it. You don’t have to talk directly to someone to be considered rude by someone.

I would just suggest lurking yourself before posting immediately again.
 
On topic, after cleaning the massive gallery filled with horses and lingerie (don’t ask, and don’t look,) I actually hate the autopaging function for image galleries. When looking for duplicates or otherwise unsuitable images, I can’t stop and pick up at a certain page in a gallery. I have to scroll down until I see the same set of images that I stopped at.

Just typing in the page number in the URL seems to be much more convenient to me.

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 02:35AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 02:34AM EDT
Quote

@Beat

You didn’t need to quote that whole entire post just to say one sentence. We know who you are talking to. ಠ_ಠ

Anyway, that’s my point. There’s trolling and then there is just being rude/brash. Methinks you were doing the latter but you may have been taken for the former, regardless


@Verbose

horses and lingerie

*horses in lingerie

That should be the name of the next Pony General

But I digress. Apparently the old pagination is still there in the same place it used to be. But the masonry tends cover it up. If you carefully scroll to the bottom of the page without triggering the masonry to load the next page (which happens when you scroll to the absolute bottom) then you can see the pagination and use it

I’d definitely love to see that pagination moved to a permanent position at the bottom of the page so you can always see it no matter how long the page is.

I know exactly how to do it too…if only I had the power to edit KYM’s source code

Last edited Oct 20, 2012 at 02:48AM EDT
Oct 20, 2012 at 02:35AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

As for 3), there’s only one active Pony General thread, and in terms of just plain ol’ ponying around, there will only be one active Pony General thread. It’s just really active. Ponies aren’t against the rules, so not much can be done about that, but it’s what bothers you. Can’t do much about those being your thoughts either.
 
And in terms of what Daniel Vazquez said, that’s about all you can do: post on-topic, creative posts and make new, interesting threads. You might even go to other forums and see what ideas and threads you can bring over here. I’ve considered doing that myself, but I just don’t have the time/effort at the time being.

Also, unlike many forums, KYM has come to be focused less on content and more on community. You sorta have to be a certain kind of user to usually get along here. So yeah, there’s a bit of sucking up (which I hate), a bit of favoritism (which I loathe) a bit of hugboxing, and all of that. The focus isn’t on the topic at hand as much as it is people waiting for users they know and like to come in and be themselves. But in that, we have a unique community. I’d rather be here than on 4chan (most of the time.)

In other forums (especially when you can post anonymously,) the focus isn’t so much on the users as it is contributing to a specific topic or idea. You’re going to get creativity from that. It’s a tradeoff.


EDIT: I won’t stop you, but I would suggest we not comment on individual users here. People will respond, people will respond back, becomes argument, and then we gotta lock stuff.

Yeah I might have been a bit harsh on the pony threads looking back on it. Maybe I’m just BEATING A DEAD HORSE (bud dum tss) when I ridicule pony threads because they’re always at the top of general and I get a little tired of ’em. Oh well, what can you do?

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:04PM EDT

Beat, I looked at the memes you posted and I like them. Advice Dog Spinoff or not, I don’t really care as long as I like them. If you’re getting tired of these types of forced memes, then guess what, here’s the door.

Oct 20, 2012 at 09:18PM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

what porn? this is a “SFW” site. I can’t post porn. This is what I don’t like, people who don’t know what they are talking about and people who pass judgment on others because I like something they don’t. If I posted homestuck trolls kissing would that be ok with you? Would we be BFF’s then?

IRC.

Also please don’t assume that because I like something it automatically guarantees I’ll like the Rule 34 in it. Just because you look at depraved shit doesn’t mean the rest of us do.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:22PM EDT
Quote

Nothing, really. I’m a pretty tolerant person. Other than the constant shitty advice animals (This week’s flavor: Menacing Josh Romney), I can’t think of anything.

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:59AM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Fridge wrote:

IRC.

Also please don’t assume that because I like something it automatically guarantees I’ll like the Rule 34 in it. Just because you look at depraved shit doesn’t mean the rest of us do.

I thought we were talking about here not the IRC
I don’t assume. It’s fact Homestuck is depraved shit without Rule 34

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 05:51AM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 05:50AM EDT
Quote

What bothers me most are posts consisting only of an reaction image. A reaction image doesn’t have more content than a simple emoticon, but a post with a “:-D” only would look downright stupid. Nevertheless these posts are immensly popular and everyone seems to love them. I like reaction images, but i would love to see at least one accompanying sentence.

Next thing is the constant meme elitism embodied in advice animal bashing and 9gag/reddit hate. A lot of user here have 4chan backgrounds and wittnessed the rise of memes. Memes in general are becoming more and more popular and 4chan’s influence is dropping. Some years ago most memes where formed by 4chan, but this has changed and some people just do not accept this.

The oldfag discussions on kym. The earliest adopters are here since 3 years, this isn’t much even for internet time. I mean kym is actually quite young and the userbase isn’t settled yet. There is a lot of fluctuation with new users coming and old ones that go. So those posts consisiting only of “oh hai, you are back” do not advance the discussion, especially if the user is only gone for a month or so.

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:13AM EDT
Quote

what bothers me most?
auto-playing ads that have audio. there’s nothing more annoying while browsing than to randomly hear some chick talking and have absolutely no idea where it’s coming from. bonus points for when the ad is on a tab you haven’t touched in 15 minutes, and it takes you forever to realize this.

other than that, i really like KYM. pretty much the first site on my daily list of regulars.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:07AM EDT
Quote

Another thing that bothers me is when people use pictures such as “oh boy, here we go” or “there be a shitstorm brewin’.” I can’t stand those memes.

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:39PM EDT
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

Another thing that bothers me is when people use pictures such as “oh boy, here we go” or “there be a shitstorm brewin’.” I can’t stand those memes.

The same goes for stuff like this:

If this is all you want to say than you could just skip the topic and don’t post anything at all. Well it is okey for dealing with trolls and such, but it doesn’t work in a conversation. Perhaps i am just repeating myself, but these memes as well as the “incoming shitstorm” pics do not advance a discussion at all. They are stating the obvious and are mostly completly unnecessary.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:03PM EDT
Quote

The only complaint I had isn’t really a critique of Know Your Meme itself, but rather nerd culture in general. Basically, how shitty nerd elitism, nerd romanticism, gross bigotry, lack of empathy, and detachment from reality tends to be rampant in these kinds of circles. Meme culture is no exception.

Basically, the birth and creation on incredibly shitty people. Again, not a complaint that is truly aimed at Know Your Meme, but rather to the incredibly shitty people in general.

EDIT:
Actually, now that I think about it, I do have a problem with Know Your Meme. It’s how the forums are set up and how one navigates them. In other forums that I frequent, when you’re logged in and you’re checking out a thread that you tune into often, you are brought to the first “unread” post since the last time you were in that thread. Me being used to that makes it incredibly frustrating when browsing threads.

Last edited Oct 25, 2012 at 03:13PM EDT
Oct 25, 2012 at 03:10PM EDT
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

I don’t get what you’re saying.

I mean that people have said that about George Bush, Ron Paul, Michelle Bachmann, Herman Cain, and every Republican politician that has had so much as their name posted here. You can’t make the argument that KYM doesn’t have a majority lean on the liberal side when a fair number of people are constantly bashing republican candidates regardless of what’s going on. And the argument “Well they’re just stupid so it doesn’t count” keeps coming up, as if it fixes everything. They’re stupid for what, not being a Democrat? People are going to disagree with other people; it’s what makes minority representation such an important part of American government. They’re entitled to their beliefs, it doesn’t make them stupid, and the majority disagreement with them here makes KYM liberal.

I have no problem with a liberal website; if you are a liberal who has thought through your opinions carefully, like I believe a lot of us here have, that’s perfectly fine. But there are too many people here who bandwagon jump because being liberal is cool, and their justification is that “well, X is an idiot, so obviously it’s ok.” So, yes, this place is liberal, even if it’s unceremoniously so.

Oct 25, 2012 at 03:24PM EDT
Quote

When I see threads that are mainly about discussing things that you personally do like devolve into petty arguments that contain members from different parties doing nothing but yelling at each other over something as foolish as this. I mean seriously, some of you guy’s have valid arguement’s here while others have opinions that are not plausible nor comprehensible in the slightest.

Earlier I saw Derpy say “It’s a fact that Homestuck is depraved shit without R34”. Well might I ask you do you have any factual evidence to support your claim? Is it a actual fact that homestuck lacks in taste, appearance, style, and quality unless it’s pornography?

What bothers me the most sometimes about this community is the fact on how “Flawed” your agruements may be at times and how “ignorant” others may be.

Oct 25, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

Don and Brad with their constant dead horse beating FUCKING when it comes to their “meme” entries.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say they get paid to force memes. Oh wait, THEY DO.

>mfw only staff member not accused of forcing memes

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT
Quote

Another Internet argument detected!

But seriously, please calm down, everybody. We don’t need another scrap in this thread.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:13PM EDT
Quote

Have we addressed that the fact that anyone can create an entry has apparently resulted in “THOUSANDS”- quote Cyber6x, of entries that either have nothing in them, or are made to take up space on our beautiful website? I tried to make a thread to address these entries specifically by name for entry moderators to look at them but was shot down. I’m not sure how, but something needs to be put in place to prevent users from Joining, creating an entry with no content for their own amusement, and then leaving their account dormant forever, especially when those entries appear in the “trending” bar.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:07AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!