Forums / Discussion / General

171,024 total conversations in 5,482 threads

+ New Thread

yeah, i get it, the internet hates Mitt Romney

Last posted Oct 10, 2012 at 01:14PM EDT. Added Oct 07, 2012 at 05:54AM EDT
27 posts from 20 users

but seriously, why the hell ANYTHING he says instantly turns into an internet sansation?

Mitt Romney made a speech about economy? lets make a meme about that,
Mitt Romney made a quirky remark aboud windows? let’s make a meme about that
Mitt Romney said something about Big Bird? lets make a meme out of that one as well!

come on, really? i know that he is right now the most hated person in the internet but seriously, do people have to immortalize every little remark he makes?

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:54AM EDT

I know what you mean.

By god, I know what you mean.

However, what is there to discuss? The next big “Mitt Meme”?

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:38AM EDT

Although I do legitimately disagree with his opinions, I have reason to. However, like with every popular thing, there will always be mindless bandwagon hate that can occasionally overpower the fanbase and give the person a negative reputation overall on the Internet. Mitt Romney is popular; he’s going to have both fans and haters. And whenever the guy says something quirky or odd, people are going to jump to their feet and share it on the Internet. Some will depict it positively, some negatively, which helps it spread across the Internet like 9gag, Nickelback and Justin Bieber did. Same principle, almost.

Also, this is just my point of view: people really seem to like Paul Ryan! Why is this?

Last edited Oct 07, 2012 at 09:05AM EDT
Oct 07, 2012 at 09:04AM EDT

Prior to the presidential debate plenty of people were wondering what the most memorable moment would be. Before Mittens had even mentioned Big Bird, Tumblr already had their editorial staff poised and ready to make animated GIFs out of whatever big moments the debate would bring. And BuzzFeed editors were working overtime to make list posts out of the photoshops they knew were waiting just around the corner. So when Mitt started rambling about how he loves Big Bird but would try to axe PBS, it was little wonder that people latched onto that moment. Turning current events into image macros and animated GIFs is a full-fledged cottage industry at this point.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:39AM EDT

^secret to bringing out Chris Menning…

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:21PM EDT

I don’t think it’s his things that are the problem. It’s the way he says these things. Making a comment about 47%, windows, Big Bird. If he said things like most Obama supporters are lazy instead of 47%, that would not become a fad. If he mentioned cutting PBS but left Big Bird out, that would not become a fad.

It’s really the words of choice that is causing the internet to capitalize on it. And the same thing with every fad out there that’s politically related. Remember the “You Forgot Poland” incident? Bush mentioned those words after Kerry claimed there were only 3 counties participating in the first stage of the Iraq War. When Bush responded “You Forgot Poland” as his first words, the choice of words were so absurd and random that it caused the phrase to go viral on the internet for weeks.

Last edited Oct 07, 2012 at 01:10PM EDT
Oct 07, 2012 at 01:08PM EDT

Jolly Jew wrote:

but seriously, why the hell ANYTHING he says instantly turns into an internet sansation?

Mitt Romney said something about Big Bird? lets make a meme out of that one as well!

come on, really? i know that he is right now the most hated person in the internet but seriously, do people have to immortalize every little remark he makes?

Forced memes don’t count as real memes.

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:19PM EDT

Chris Menning wrote:

Prior to the presidential debate plenty of people were wondering what the most memorable moment would be. Before Mittens had even mentioned Big Bird, Tumblr already had their editorial staff poised and ready to make animated GIFs out of whatever big moments the debate would bring. And BuzzFeed editors were working overtime to make list posts out of the photoshops they knew were waiting just around the corner. So when Mitt started rambling about how he loves Big Bird but would try to axe PBS, it was little wonder that people latched onto that moment. Turning current events into image macros and animated GIFs is a full-fledged cottage industry at this point.

So you’re telling us that there are people out there ready to deliberately force memes?

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:09PM EDT

From what I’ve seen, some parts of 4chan like him.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:22PM EDT

量子 Meme wrote:

So you’re telling us that there are people out there ready to deliberately force memes?

Jeez I don’t even know what to say to this. Yes. People who work in advertising, especially those who work for sites like BuzzFeed make their livings by attempting to create shitty forced memes.

Now, I don’t want to give everything away, but you should know that this rabbit hole of forced memes and media interventions is one that you might not want to peer too closely into unless you want to get disenchanted.

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:33PM EDT

I wonder how much these gif poachers are gonna make for this unnecessary garbage

also, I chucked at the use of “zingers” in the link CM posted

Last edited Oct 07, 2012 at 04:27PM EDT
Oct 07, 2012 at 04:25PM EDT

The internet hates Republicans in general. This is not news.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:52PM EDT

Interestingly enough, according to whatdoestheinternetthink.net, the internet is just about as negative about Obama as it is about Romney.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT

Crimson Locks wrote:

Interestingly enough, according to whatdoestheinternetthink.net, the internet is just about as negative about Obama as it is about Romney.

Guess it depends on the areas you visit.

Most people on sites that share lulz are against Romney, simple as that. But I can’t say that accounts for other sites as well as I don’t visit those sites.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT

The funny part is people joke about what Romney says.
People joke about Obama’s face.
People listen to Romney, but not Obama.
BUT Answering your question, I am going to say:
THE INTERNET JOKES ON WHO THE FUCKING WANTS TO JOKE!

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:44PM EDT

To be fair, this happens just as much to Obama as well. Any small mistake Obama makes draws large arrays of “tsk, tsks” from a certain demographic and even mistakes he doesn’t make will be churned so that they sound like one.

As RM pointed out, this depends on location. On the Pundit Kitchen you will probably find a lot more people criticizing every breath that Romney makes but go to Facebook and see the opposite in effect.

I have a largely Republican family and on Facebook I do see the occasional slam on Obama that creates outrage over things he does that frankly I find understandable.

EG: Radicals in eastern nations kill a US representative, Obama does NOT use this as an excuse to go to war.

My response: Wise. There are so many ways in which declaring war over that matter will make it so much worse. Financially, economically, diplomatically and ethically

My republican family response: See! No desire to stand up for our country! Get that man out of office and put a guy in there who has some balls! HURRR!

Everything Obama does is painted as wrong to these people just like how everything Romney does is painted as wrong in a similar fashion by other demographics. It happens, just not in the same places.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 12:31AM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 12:30AM EDT

I don’t get it either, it’s dumb. Just because you hate someone doesn’t mean he has to become a (forced) meme.

People will be people, I guess.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:15AM EDT

It may shock you, but the internet is full of liberals.
But anyway, dislike of Romney and the Republican Party in general is common outside the United States. If Europeans could vote they’d elect Obama by a landside. ( sauce ) Canadians think the Republicans are a joke.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:34AM EDT

the funny thing in all this is that all these forced memes actually give Romney a broader audiance. and more publicity

so they might think they’re clever and funny but in fact it just backfire giving Mitt more popularity

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:46PM EDT

Jolly Jew wrote:

the funny thing in all this is that all these forced memes actually give Romney a broader audiance. and more publicity

so they might think they’re clever and funny but in fact it just backfire giving Mitt more popularity

I wouldn’t describe this extra publicity he gets as positive, as most of these Romney memes exploit the bad things he said/did. So basically, they’re doing exactly what the creators want, giving Romney more negative publicity.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 01:08PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 01:02PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

I wouldn’t describe this extra publicity he gets as positive, as most of these Romney memes exploit the bad things he said/did. So basically, they’re doing exactly what the creators want, giving Romney more negative publicity.

Yes, but with that negative publicity, don’t there also come those that seek to counter it?

I’m no Romney supporter, but it just seems like there might be a backlash from the right on this.

Oct 08, 2012 at 01:20PM EDT

It’s because the internet is full of lefties.

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:05AM EDT

@Nair

I’m no Romney supporter, but it just seems like there might be a backlash from the right on this.

If it becomes too popular to hate on Romney then there will definitely be a counter-movement against that hate, even from people who don’t support Romney.

How often have you heard people say “I don’t like X, but all this hate on X is getting stupid and I’m getting sick of hearing people talk about X”?

That’s usually what happens: even the haters will begin to hate the hate, not to mention the Romney supporters who will kick things up a notch and start making themselves more vocal

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:16AM EDT

I’m glad this is the opposite case for Obama’s “you didn’t build that”

everyone jumped on the idiots that were criticizing Obama, pointing out how they purposely misinterpreted his quote

internet + 1

teaching everyone that there’s no effective way of bashing Obama

@ Count Wsxdas von Spookyewguys
“From what I’ve seen, some parts of 4chan like him.”

you think they’re genuine?

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 12:32PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 12:27PM EDT

Yeah. The internet is a kind of liberal place. Just like talk radio is conservative, and the green party has no way to communicate that doesn’t consume precious resources and energy.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:14PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!