Forums / Discussion / General

171,065 total conversations in 5,483 threads

+ New Thread

Ah crap, the system is down!!!

Last posted Oct 23, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT. Added Oct 22, 2012 at 03:20PM EDT
19 posts from 13 users

http://betabeat.com/2012/10/possible-amazon-ec2-related-issue-takes-down-reddit-and-other-sites/

It involves the Amazon EC2 cloud service. Something happened, now a lot of sites are down.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:20PM EDT

CNet in general…gamespot is also down.

Ah, gamefaqs trolling:

(Update – 12:03PM PST) There are news stories about this popping up all over, and there’s nothing we can do until it’s fixed. So, in the meantime, feel free to go browse Reddit, or play some Minecraft… Oh, wait…

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 03:29PM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 03:25PM EDT

Daft Punkjet wrote:

CNet in general…gamespot is also down.

Ah, gamefaqs trolling:

(Update – 12:03PM PST) There are news stories about this popping up all over, and there’s nothing we can do until it’s fixed. So, in the meantime, feel free to go browse Reddit, or play some Minecraft… Oh, wait…

Heh, jokes on them, I got KYM to browse.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:38PM EDT

Needless to say, the minecraft forums are filled with posts made by prepubescent diptards whining about how they can’t log in and about how Mojang sucks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:06PM EDT

No GameFAQs :(

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:29PM EDT

Am I the only one who thought of Homestarrunner when I saw this thread title?
Anyways, this isn’t too big of a deal. Thank God I actually have physical game guides.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:30PM EDT

Reddit’s down again.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT

Reading the thread title, I couldn’t help but think of Strong Bad’s techno song…

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:49PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

Needless to say, the minecraft forums are filled with posts made by prepubescent diptards whining about how they can’t log in and about how Mojang sucks.

Really? It’s that difficult for them to figure this out?

Not exactly a hidden feature.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:03PM EDT

nukefire wrote:

Really? It’s that difficult for them to figure this out?

Not exactly a hidden feature.

Your overestimate the intelligence of a moron on the internet.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT

Well, this explains why I couldn’t get Alien Blue to work on my phone. Thanks, OP.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:57PM EDT

I was just about to state the system failure on the official Minecraft site.
Oh well, the internet is in a fucked state now.

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:02PM EDT

Someone from anonymous is claiming to be responsible for the day’s events:
http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/22/anonymous-member-claims-to-take-down-amazon-ec2/

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:54PM EDT

Patrick wrote:

Reading the thread title, I couldn’t help but think of Strong Bad’s techno song…

I was literally right about to go grab the embed code for that video and post it here, when I saw that you had already posted it.

Well, this is certainly interesting. I hope things are back to normal soon enough.

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

Does it mean Amazon as in the shopping website Amazon?

Yes. Most non-webmasters or non-internet-savvy types don’t know this, but Amazon has one of the, if not the, largest server spaces on the Internet, rivaled only by Google, and rent out cloud space on their servers for web hosting. They basically host a huge chunk of the net. Taking out a single server bank, as happened today, is huge – there’s an excellent chance that taking out any server bank will take out a major site.

Related, major sites seem to be back up. I guess it’s fixed.

@Maplejet below: It’s directly owned by Amazon, not a subsidiary. That’s still Amazon, Inc. to me.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 12:46AM EDT
Oct 23, 2012 at 12:43AM EDT

anghstyHoodie: Yes and no. Yes because it is Amazon, the site that has that online store…and no, because it is actually a web service created by Amazon. Basically, Amazon has this web service (Amazon EC2) and other companies use the service to host their sites…Reddit, Imgur, Gamefaqs all used EC2, so when EC2 went down today, all of those sites went down with it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!