Forums / Discussion / General

170,985 total conversations in 5,481 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Would anyone be interested in helping me make a tabletop game?

Last posted Oct 29, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT. Added Oct 27, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT
35 posts from 19 users

I’ve been wanting to make a tabletop game for a few weeks, and I think it would be a whole lot easier if I had some help. I’m currently thinking either Homestuck or Pokemon, more likely the latter; if you’re interested, post here, and include which one you’d rather do. If I get enough of a response, and once we decide on which one, I’ll post my ideas, and we can continue from there.

Oct 27, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT

I have a game in mind, myself, but I won’t steal your shine, Brawler.

Oct 27, 2012 at 07:09PM EDT

I think he meant help counting votes. Because math is hard.

So I think that’s 47 votes for Pokémon, and -2 votes for Homestuck.

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:30PM EDT

I hate to be the contrarian here, at least right off the bat, but I have to say I’d like a Homestuck game. Just because for whatever reason it appeals to be more than Pokemon.

That’s not to say that Pokemon isn’t awesome, I would just rather see a Homestuck game. It’s as simple as that.

Come on, guys, let’s help to bring our total out of the negative range! We’re movin’ up the number line!

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT

I could go either way. Pokemon seems like it’d adapt to the concept more easily, though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 09:06PM EDT

PieFace wrote:

What’s a tabletop game?

Do you even Google?

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:28PM EDT

PieFace wrote:

What’s a Google?

Yeaaaah… You’ll want to stop that making off-topic posts for the sake of…I don’t know. Humor, I guess.

Keep it relevant. If you have nothing to say on a particular subject, you can skip the topic and move on. If you want to address a specific individual about personal matters, contact the user via private message instead of starting a public discussion.

You’re on the Internet, so I know you know what Google is. Which leads me to believe that you’re just screwing with us. Please stop. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions though. Don’t go into it any further on here.

As for actual votes:

• Verbose: Pokemon
  • Fun Police: Homestuck
  • Fridge Logic: Pokemon
Oct 28, 2012 at 12:21AM EDT

The idea sounds very intriguing but I doubt I’d be much of a help.

Last edited Oct 28, 2012 at 01:44AM EDT
Oct 28, 2012 at 01:40AM EDT

Some dudes have already made a tabletop pokemon game:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pokemon_Tabletop_Adventures

Many on /tg/ have tried to make a Homestuck tabletop game with little success. Mostly a lot of half finished systems.

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:30AM EDT

DarkErmac wrote:

I vote on a crossover.

OK, now THAT could be interesting.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:19AM EDT
if you’re interested, post here, and include which one you’d rather do

Id be more interested in a Pokemon game rather than Homestuck. Because I’ve been re-playing all my old pokemon games on GBC/GBA.

For some reason the idea of a crossover doesn’t appeal to me.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:35AM EDT

PieFace wrote:

What’s a tabletop game?

The answer to that is pretty self explanatory… It’s a game that’s… Wait for it… On a table!

So basically, it’s a board game.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:09AM EDT

When I said help, I actually meant creation help. Coming up with dice roll situations, statistics, plot motivations, etc.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:18AM EDT

I can help with that. Also, casting for a HS one, because there’s been a Pokemon board game or two already, one of which was uninteresting.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:38AM EDT

Teh Brawler wrote:

When I said help, I actually meant creation help. Coming up with dice roll situations, statistics, plot motivations, etc.

Hm. I’ve never done math in regards to creating a game and most certainly not a tabletop game. I’d have to know what concept you have in mind first. Will this be more like a Dungeons and Dragons role-playing game, your standard board game like Monopoly…a table top game about Pokemon (or Homestuck) is a very broad premise to make a commitment to.

Can you tell us more about what you have in mind?

Also, Ivan prefers Pokemon, and phoneix says that Pokemon lends itself to a game better than Homestuck (although I won’t consider his a vote. More like a consideration.)

There were also two thoughts about a crossover (i.e., Why not both?)

• Pokemon: 3
  • Crossover: 2
  • Homestuck: 1

I think.

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:17PM EDT

After finally looking at that Pokemon game mentioned, I think I should qualify the differences I have in mind. “Pokemon Tabletop Adventures” is much more combat based, where my ideas are more storyline based. As such, I’m not inclined to just drop it, since my thoughts are a bit unique.

Besides, that game has been in beta for two years.

Last edited Oct 28, 2012 at 02:32PM EDT
Oct 28, 2012 at 02:31PM EDT

I vote for Pokemon!
Wsxdas and I used to RP with each other using Pokemon cards, pretending that we were trainers out to catch wild Pokemon! Oh, the joys of being seven…

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:53PM EDT

Pokemon, as long as we stop at Gen II or Gen III

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT

Dane wrote:

Pokemon, as long as we stop at Gen II or Gen III

Sorry, limiting Pokemon options would isolate a lot of people who want certain Pokemon. I know I myself would want both a Lucario and a Luxray, neither of which are available if we only go up to gen III.

So, I’m going to take a little bit more time to let anyone put their two cents in. After that, I’ll be making a thread specifically for collaboration and discussion. You don’t have to have posted in this thread to help out, but I definitely would like you to perk up here before jumping in on the other thread.

Last edited Oct 28, 2012 at 08:27PM EDT
Oct 28, 2012 at 08:25PM EDT

I don’t exactly see why we need to limit ourselves on how many generations we’re allowed to have. That sorta leaves out other people how aren’t really familiar with older generations.

Also, I’d like to participate.

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:34PM EDT

Teh Brawler wrote:

Sorry, limiting Pokemon options would isolate a lot of people who want certain Pokemon. I know I myself would want both a Lucario and a Luxray, neither of which are available if we only go up to gen III.

So, I’m going to take a little bit more time to let anyone put their two cents in. After that, I’ll be making a thread specifically for collaboration and discussion. You don’t have to have posted in this thread to help out, but I definitely would like you to perk up here before jumping in on the other thread.

I’m not sure if it needs another thread. What’s your reasoning on that?

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:41PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

I figured it would be better for organizational reasons, but if you disagree, that’s fine.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT

Wow. Just…wow.

What everybody’s thinking about me right now:

Still, despite my opinion being unpopular, I stand by my vote for Homestuck.
-

Verbose wrote:

I agree with Brawler on that it would just make things seem more organized. Although, you do have a point: maybe using two threads isn’t efficient.

I’m still not sure exactly how I could help, but when we have reached consensus on something, then I’d be glad to help in any way I can.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:03PM EDT

I’d go for Pokemon

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:55PM EDT

Hm, well, if you decide to make another thread, I won’t lock it, because I know what you’re thinking. It would be a bit more organized. I don’t know how other forum mods would feel though.

I’ll wait until there are more details on what the game might be. It could be based a lot on what the focus is (either Homestuck or Pokemon,) but I can’t really commit to it with the current knowledge.

Related.

Last edited Oct 28, 2012 at 11:06PM EDT
Oct 28, 2012 at 11:01PM EDT

Alright, so, since the final vote is for Pokemon, we’re going to go with that. However, should this go smoothly, we can totally make a Homestuck one as well.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:46PM EDT

Teh Brawler wrote:

Alright, so, since the final vote is for Pokemon, we’re going to go with that. However, should this go smoothly, we can totally make a Homestuck one as well.

Should we lock this thread, now that we have a topic and a new thread open?

Also, in the future I’d like to see a Homestuck game.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:24PM EDT

Yeah, don’t really see the point of still having this around; locking.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT

Fun Police wrote:

Should we lock this thread, now that we have a topic and a new thread open?

Also, in the future I’d like to see a Homestuck game.

I’ll leave that up to the forum mods. However, just for clarity, if any of you who are interested haven’t seen yet, the new thread is here:

http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/general/topics/18521-kym-tabletop-collab-the-world-of-pokemon

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:35PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!