Forums / Discussion / General

232,833 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

Wreck-It Ralph Discussion

Last posted Nov 18, 2012 at 12:11AM EST. Added Nov 03, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT
76 posts from 26 users

Now outside of Brawler's poor OP, why was this thread locked?

Wreck-It Ralph's gotten some good praise, and it's all about video games. Why not talk about it?

As for me, I wanted to watch it this weekend, but I may be busy enough to hold off for a week or two. As for spoilers, I'd say to not worry about them. If something has aired or already premiered, then I think it's fair to assume that people will be talking about the movie in great depth in a thread about it.

I think we can at least talk about the cameos that appeared in the trailers.
I especially liked the two Street Fighter Cameos.
M. Bison
Zangief.
I did have a problem about Zangief being apart of the Bad Guys meeting.
Zangief was never a bad guy. He was just fighting for his country which was Russia, and in the early 90's most animations that Zangief appeared in represents him fighting against the protagonist, or fighting for the antagonists. I believe that was still some left overs of what people thought of the USSR, as Zangief was fighting for the USSR until it became Russia.

I watched it opening day and it was awesome! I really loved the references ( and so did all the other gamers in there), but what I really loved was the story. Calhoun was a badass, Ralph and vanellope were adorable, and Felix was hilarious. Actually, they all were. At first, I thought I was gonna hate vanellope, but she was so adorable! Honestly, go see it now if you haven't. You don't have to be a gamer to love it either.

Also, I got a hold of this beauty…

About the cameos in the trailer, Kano was hilarious. I'm not gonna give anything away though.

Last edited Nov 04, 2012 at 01:53PM EST

Verbose wrote:

Wreck-It Ralph's gotten some good praise, and it's all about video games. Why not talk about it?

As for me, I wanted to watch it this weekend, but I may be busy enough to hold off for a week or two. As for spoilers, I'd say to not worry about them. If something has aired or already premiered, then I think it's fair to assume that people will be talking about the movie in great depth in a thread about it.

:C

I'm not good at OP.

Also, Pac-Man ghost, M. Bison, and Bowser. Sonic and Pac-Man got great cameos, as well.

I was gonna see it last night, but instead went to see Cloud Atlas. We should start a Movie General, so I can praise it infinitely.

I think I'll also have to go see this movie as soon as it gets to the theatres here in Finland.

Though I'll also have to hope that they won't ruin the entire thing with sub-par dubbing, like they have done to oh so many animated movies and series in the past.

The original audio is always the best. No exceptions.

And if they decide to ruin it by dubbing it, I'll just have to wait for the DVD, and hope for better luck.

Ann Hiro wrote:

I think we can at least talk about the cameos that appeared in the trailers.
I especially liked the two Street Fighter Cameos.
M. Bison
Zangief.
I did have a problem about Zangief being apart of the Bad Guys meeting.
Zangief was never a bad guy. He was just fighting for his country which was Russia, and in the early 90's most animations that Zangief appeared in represents him fighting against the protagonist, or fighting for the antagonists. I believe that was still some left overs of what people thought of the USSR, as Zangief was fighting for the USSR until it became Russia.

In regards to Zangief being a bad guy, I can guess there's a little bit of logic there. Consider the kinds of characters that are more popular to choose from in "Street Fighter". Probably few people would choose Zangief, so he would be more active in that particular console in an antagonizing role.

Why oh why do I have to be poor!? I really want to see this movie now. I was skeptical about this movie at first, thinking it would either be great or be a complete flop. I was really afraid that the movie was only going to use video game references as a crutch for its comedy, but from what I've heard it's avoided that completely. Maybe I'll get a group of friends together so we can all see it. People have said that this movie has a very Pixar feel, and if I'm anything I'm a sucker for Pixar films.

Le Bumpkin wrote:

Dr. Eggman, what looked like Diablo, but was Satan, Zangief, They mentioned Mario, Qbert, Bowser, and I think I heard the name GLaDOS in there.

I didn't hear GLaDOS and I don't think it was there. The video games tended to be retro and arcade games. I doubt they referenced portal.

Verbose wrote:

I was wondering that as well, I don't get why it was locked. Granted, there was another thread but it got locked due to inactivity.

I liked it, I liked it a lot, I was going to shift to this character once November started but I wasn't on my PC, but now that I am, I get to be Coily for a bit.

Oh, and for everyone mentioning why Zangief was a bad guy, the TVTropes article said the director couldn't beat him as a kid, so to him, he's a bad guy.

Last edited Nov 04, 2012 at 08:40PM EST

ZillieZephyr wrote:

Anyone think "turbotastic!" is going to spawn a meme, similar to Inappropriate Timing Spongebob?

Who knows, mabye, I thought it was hilarious though.

ZillieZephyr wrote:

Anyone think "turbotastic!" is going to spawn a meme, similar to Inappropriate Timing Spongebob?

I can see it honestly. Turbo appearing in things he shouldn't be. Get to work on it guys.

I freakin' love this movie, the concepts it comes up with are kinda mindblowing, it's got Toy Story levels of originality. The universe they invented is surprisingly solid too, there's obviously a lot of thought put into it.

But I won't berate people who didn't like Sarah Silverman as Venellope, I thought she was adorable, but she's an extremely major character and some people just aren't fond of that sort of performance. That really seems to be the sticking point when it come to wether or not someone's going to like this movie, like "The Emperor's New Groove" it's probably going to be hit and miss with some people.

Also, yes, I want to see "Turbotastic!" go viral, make it happen internet!

Gigatoast wrote:

I freakin' love this movie, the concepts it comes up with are kinda mindblowing, it's got Toy Story levels of originality. The universe they invented is surprisingly solid too, there's obviously a lot of thought put into it.

But I won't berate people who didn't like Sarah Silverman as Venellope, I thought she was adorable, but she's an extremely major character and some people just aren't fond of that sort of performance. That really seems to be the sticking point when it come to wether or not someone's going to like this movie, like "The Emperor's New Groove" it's probably going to be hit and miss with some people.

Also, yes, I want to see "Turbotastic!" go viral, make it happen internet!

People don't like Sarah Silverman in this movie? I thought she was fantastic

Teh Brawler wrote:

People don't like Sarah Silverman in this movie? I thought she was fantastic

I know people, some of them simply can't stand "annoying" characters, no matter how well characterized or funny they are. You can't blame someone if it's not their cup of tea.

Dac wrote:

I didn’t hear GLaDOS and I don’t think it was there. The video games tended to be retro and arcade games. I doubt they referenced portal.

There wasn't any sort of 'cameo' reference, but one of the characters (I can't remember which) at one point refers to someone as "Gladys". It's obviously not a direct reference, but knowing the people who worked on this movie, it was clearly intentional.

Before anyone says " it's like Mario kart you jackass", I know that, but how cool would suger rush be? The game seems way more fast paced than Mario kart and the vehicles actually take damage. Really though, I just want it for its speed and because Vanellope a the crew were so darn cute. The pod racer game for dreamcast was pretty bad ass just because it played so fast. But really, just look at this shit, it is gives you diabetes for two reasons. 1) because they are do cute 2) because you crave sweets just looking at them.

Last edited Nov 05, 2012 at 12:51PM EST

Ironically they put Ralph in a racing game, the Sega one in order to get the Sega characters in the movie. Sadly, none of the Sugar Rush racers are in it though. To bad cause they'd fit there along with Ralph.

Ashki wrote:

Ironically they put Ralph in a racing game, the Sega one in order to get the Sega characters in the movie. Sadly, none of the Sugar Rush racers are in it though. To bad cause they'd fit there along with Ralph.

Dafaq sega?!?! Why do you do this shit? Oh well, I'm gonna buy that game for Ralph, the crazy taxi nigga, and hopefully vanellope is dlc ( probably not though).

Dac wrote:

Dafaq sega?!?! Why do you do this shit? Oh well, I'm gonna buy that game for Ralph, the crazy taxi nigga, and hopefully vanellope is dlc ( probably not though).

As I mentioned, I think it was an exchange. Ralph for Sonic and Dr. Robotnik, though why they didn't ask for any of the characters from the racing game as well is beyond me.

As fun as this movie was, there were some pretty heartbreaking parts.

It was so sad to see Ralph wreaking her car because he was trying to save her life( or at least he thought). She had just given him the medal too. I also thought it was so sad when he was trying to get her out of the game before it got destroyed. His utter desperation was heartbreaking and almost made me cry. It really was the acting and the spot on animation of their faces that made it so moving. I love the bond those two had.

@Fix It Felix Jr. Arcade cabinet: It's actually pretty awesome that Disney made those to advertise the movie. I wonder…well, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

@Thor: Yes, that actually does look pretty good, and lol, Ralph ask the question that most people ask when it comes to Sonic.

Don't know about Shadow, but as someone mentioned somewhere else. Sonic is the sporting guys, he could easily outrun all the cars, and definitely outrun anybody on foot, so basically Sonic is giving them a chance to win.

@coily

Shadow the hedgehog is like his evil clone or some shit. He can run really fast too with his skate shoes. I'm not sure if he is as fast as sonic, or at least almost as fast, but the point is he is faster than any motorcycle or car.

Yeah, I know, he was introduced in Sonic Adventure 2. I should've been a bit more clearer on what I was saying. I don't know why he'd be using a motorcycle, which funnily enough, he was for his own game.

Oh Sega, you so strange.

Oh, got it.

So, it did really good in the box office and I read that they were planning on making a sequel for a while now( assuming it did good). What worlds would you like them to visit? What cameos would you like to see?

Dac wrote:

Oh, got it.

So, it did really good in the box office and I read that they were planning on making a sequel for a while now( assuming it did good). What worlds would you like them to visit? What cameos would you like to see?

PHOENIX WRIGHT UHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Teh Brawler wrote:

PHOENIX WRIGHT UHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm pretty sure Phoenix Wright isn't exactly an arcade game, but then neither is Sonic I guess.

To be fair, Japan has a tendency to be pretty liberal when it comes to IPs they convert into arcade games. Somewhere in this world exists a fully licensed Half-Life 2 arcade cabinet where you control Gordon Freeman with a steering wheel and foot peddles.

Besides, I'm pretty sure a DS game from 2001 isn't very high on their cameo priority list.

Last edited Nov 06, 2012 at 12:53AM EST

Dac wrote:

Oh, got it.

Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, maybe that dude from Dig-Dug, that girl from the Ridge Racers franchise, that knight from Tower of Druaga, maybe some modern video game characters if they wanted to do that.

He's not an arcade character though, he's strictly handheld. and just about every character in their was from an arcade game.
And before anyone says something, sonic had a couple arcade cabinets and bowser was probably from one of the various Mario arcade cabinets. Ive heard complaints about bowser and sonic not being arcade characters.

Ninja by gigatoast, here you go.

Sonic the fighters was an arcade game before being ported a couple years later.

@ creeper

Dig dug was there in the beginning.

Last edited Nov 06, 2012 at 01:04AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!