Forums / Discussion / General

232,837 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

What games deserve a perfect 10/10 flawless score?

Last posted Nov 20, 2012 at 08:09AM EST. Added Nov 11, 2012 at 06:14PM EST
68 posts from 50 users

there are alot of good and popular games out there but usually they have some minor drawbacks that always takes one point away making it a 9/10

but what games you think truely deserve a 10/10? those perfect games that will never get old and you will never stop enjoying them (unless played 10 hours straight…)

my games:

Duke Nukem 3D:

everthin is said about this game. a flawless classic. amazing graphics for its time and still fun to watch today, great fast action packed gameplay with tons of different enemies and weapons. it's just amazing.

Captain Claw:

a very underrated title yet still the best platformer i have ever played, it had done everything right. great controls, challanging obstacles. tough enemies and traps.
the game's graphics and music are amazing even in today's standards, and it came in 1997.

too bad it is so underrated

and finally, right now my most favoite: Metal Slug 3:

amazing grapics, none-stop fast paced shooting action, explosions, giant bosses, enemies of all shapes and sizes awsome weapons and overwheling levels.
every moment of this game is an epic battle, every level has something that will make your jaw drop in amazement. and the gam's final stage is PHENOMONAL! a fucking masterpiece.

your games?

DISCLAIMER: This thread may be subject to nostalgia goggles

Upvoted for Duke3D. Hell yes! Of all the Build Engine games, Duke3D was the best. I think it was also one of the first games to make excellent use of character in First Person Shooters. Something we wouldn't see until Serious Sam

I'm also throwing a vote in for Age of Empires 2. It's perfect because despite being a sequel, it turned out far better than AoE1 in every respect, leaving you no reason to go back to the old title. AoE2 had everything I loved from AoE1 but expanded and improved, not just in terms of content but also in terms of UI/Usability as well. It's like Microsoft looked long and hard at AoE1 and thought "what would be really, really useful in this game right now?", then they added it in AoE2.

The only problem with AoE2 is it's inability to work properly on newer versions of windows without some kind of compatibility tool

Lastly I'm voting for Unreal Tournament. I shouldn't even need to explain why everything in this game was so damn perfect. Look up UT on critic blogs and game review sites. Nearly all of them give UT a near-perfect rating.

Great challenge, drinking game, and also the game of real gamers.
Besides the challenge is great, the game feels great,and the soundtrack sounds great!

Last edited Nov 11, 2012 at 07:52PM EST

I have four games that, each for their own reasons, I believe deserve 10/10 scores. I will not go into detail on any of them.

Mercenaries: Playground Of Destruction, Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge, F-Zero X and Fallout 3.

I'll leave it to you guys to figure out why each one deserves a 10/10 in my mind.

Last edited Nov 11, 2012 at 08:18PM EST

There is no such thing as a perfect game, every game has flaws.

So when I give a game a 10/10, it doesn't mean that the game is completely without flaws of any kind. Rather, it means the game is so good that it makes you forget any flaw whatsoever in the game.

So without further Ado:

Metroid Prime

I'm prolly gonna get skewered by Super Metroid fanboys for this but in my opinion, Prime is the best Metroid title ever made. The graphics, gameplay and control were top notch and the world was one of the most immersive I've ever experienced.

And the music…..OH GOD! THE MUSIC.

Resident Evil 4

Like the Metroid fanboys above, I'm probably gonna get my ass kicked by Resi fanboys that think 4 was the turning point to suck for the series.

Yeah, Resident Evil 5 and 6 sucked balls but 4? 4 got the balance between action and scares just right.

Too bad Capcom then went completely down the shitter after making this game.

Hearts of Iron 2

This was my first intro into Paradox's Interactive's Grand Strategy series and in my eyes, still the best. Hearts of Iron 3 and Crusader Kings II are good but they both seem to overcomplicate the matter of running a nation-state….errr…I guess it is supposed to be complex but I never really swallowed the whole Order of Battle system in HoI3 and wished it return to the old style of Hearts of Iron II.

Rome:Total War

I don't know if it's because this is the first of the Total War series I've played but I still think this one is the best of the bunch. Medieval 2 Total War, Empire and Napoleon just added too much shit and ruined the simplicity of the game, a perfect example of more=/= better.

Shogun 2 is the game that gets the balance between strategy and complexity just right but unfortunately the map of Japan is just so limiting so I'm eagerly awaiting Rome 2!

Metal Gear Solid

I hate every single game in the Metal Gear Solid series except this one.

It seems someone was around to control Hideo Kojima's out of control mind and put a game with an acceptable level of bullshit and suspension of disbelief into the market.

The result is the most cinematic, riveting game on the Playstation 1. Bar none.

MGS2,3 and 4 all blow though. YES I SAID IT!

Starfox 64

I don't know what it is, but this game has everything I want: Space ships engaging in massive space battles.

The controls were fluid and the voice acting was actually pretty good given the N64's cartridge limitations.

But like many of the series on this list….they never got their act together again and put out a decent sequel :(

If it's on the screen, kill it. YEAH! SHOOT EM! KILL EM ALL! DON'T LET ANYBODY LIVE!

If it moves, you pump its ass full of lead till it doesn't move.

Contra IS videogames. It embodies every stereotype about videogames: Big buff dudes, bullets, aliens and jumping.

It is made of pure 100% videogames.

Starfox Assault was the first game I ever played that felt like a modern leap, and the first one I played where the vehicles and weapons worked like that.

So that might get a 10 from me.

Just Cause 2 would, but it needs multiplayer (that isn't a mod).

Last edited Nov 12, 2012 at 02:52AM EST

I'd say Fallout 1 and Fallout 2

I love these games very much and I played them for longer than 10hrs per day (bathroom breaks and back to playing).

Im pretty sure I think they're perfect because I was impressed with the graphics and the story. I played em back in 1999. So I loved these games.

Last edited Nov 12, 2012 at 02:30PM EST

I still have an extremely high opinion of this little gem for alot of reasons.

All I wanted in shooters back around the time that it was released was more to do than the typical single player campaign and multiplayer modes. In addition to these standard things, Timesplitters 2 also had a Challenge mode and Arcade League mode that brilliantly and effectively used multiplayer maps as stages for mini – missions that ranged from being piss easy to completely balls to the wall. On top of that it had a mode in which you could make your own damn maps – and even actual missions where you could complete objectives that you created.

And it didn't just have a lot of stuff to do – Timesplitters 2 featured a wide variety of characters, weapons and stages from periods all throughout time which made gameplay insanely fun and practically stale-proof.

I'd even say it's aged relatively well, with visuals and models that aren't top notch by today's standards, but passable.

10/10 would play forever.

Last edited Nov 12, 2012 at 03:18PM EST

Jack Candle wrote:

Everything is flawless.

Really, I want to love this game so badly, but I find that it drags. I love the concept, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I got past the mailman conspiracy part, but when I found that there were 4+ brains to enter in the next area I just said forget it.

Also, I forgot to mention:

The puzzles could be frustrating and not very intuitive at times, but the ending made it all worthwhile.

Iamslow wrote:

I still have an extremely high opinion of this little gem for alot of reasons.

All I wanted in shooters back around the time that it was released was more to do than the typical single player campaign and multiplayer modes. In addition to these standard things, Timesplitters 2 also had a Challenge mode and Arcade League mode that brilliantly and effectively used multiplayer maps as stages for mini – missions that ranged from being piss easy to completely balls to the wall. On top of that it had a mode in which you could make your own damn maps – and even actual missions where you could complete objectives that you created.

And it didn't just have a lot of stuff to do – Timesplitters 2 featured a wide variety of characters, weapons and stages from periods all throughout time which made gameplay insanely fun and practically stale-proof.

I'd even say it's aged relatively well, with visuals and models that aren't top notch by today's standards, but passable.

10/10 would play forever.

I give this a 9.9/10 because fuck inverted controls. Future Perfect at least let you change it, but the challenges weren't as cool.

Reticent wrote:

Really, I want to love this game so badly, but I find that it drags. I love the concept, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I got past the mailman conspiracy part, but when I found that there were 4+ brains to enter in the next area I just said forget it.

Also, I forgot to mention:

The puzzles could be frustrating and not very intuitive at times, but the ending made it all worthwhile.

Yeah, that part kinda dragged, but the incorporation of mental illnesses into the levels was so interesting I didn't even mind.

First off:

I can play this game anytime and never get bored with it.

Second:

It was a fun game back then and it's still fun today. (I have more fun with this than GTA 4)

And finally, the perfect flawless game of all time is:

What can I say? Out of all the games I've played in recent years this one was the most memorable.

Last edited Nov 12, 2012 at 05:32PM EST

ConnerABacon wrote:

Legend of Zelda: Faces of Evil

Hey now! This is a SERIOUS thread, not for joking around.

I mean, it's obvious that Wand of Gamelon is the real best game of all time.

@Mega:

Actually, I'd give Guild Wars 2 a 10, as well. Though I may be a bit more open with that then most. It has its bugs, but I don't take those into account when considering it's a very large world and an MMO at that. The combat is a lot more visceral and active than a lot of RPGs, especially MMOs, and it rewards skill a lot more. There exists a lot of variety in builds for all the classes, which is even more impressive considering the PvP is fairly well-balanced. The group dynamics in dungeons works well without relying on a trinity or heavy gear. Exploration is rewarded highly and fairly entertaining. Most of all, it's fun, plain and simple.

Another game I'd give a 10 to is good old Team Fortress 2. The general balance of weaponry gives a level playing field that most shooters lack. The same balance can be noted in most of the classes, who all have their weaknesses and strengths that contribute to demanding teamwork, something a lot of online shooters fall short in. One of my favorite parts, personally, is the characters. The voice lines, the acting, and the voice cues all work very well, in my opinion, and it makes the game more entertaining. Beyond that, Valve's support of modding, custom servers and such leave the game open to the players more.

I'd say the same for Skyrim, but that's partly because you can find mods for just about anything, which adds so much value to the game that it cranks it up to 11. Without them, though, I'd put it somewhere between 9 and 10. I'd imagine I'd say the same for Fallout 3, but I don't own it on PC.

Another few games get damn close to a 10, but not quite. Bastion, for one. I loved the story and the gameplay, but I never got around to beating it more than once, because it just didn't hold replay value as much as I wish it did. Most of the Halo games would get close as well, if not for a handful of slight qualms I have with them.

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

Age of Empires II is the only one I'd give a 10/10, but I'm always rather strict with ratings.

I was legitimately going to post this too, such an awesome game!

But the game that is on top for me is Fallout 3! This was my first RPG game, and second FPS game (After Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare). I would give Fallout 3 (Expansions included) a 10/10 because it was amazing overall: graphics, characters, mechanics, story, and environment were simply fantastic and I could launch that game any day of the year and enjoy it. Infinite replay value, for me.

Ooh, boy, I get a chance to TL;DR.

In my mind, there are key aspects of video games that make them likable: strength of composition, fluidity of controls, ease of enjoyment, and good use of story. Each of these are subjective in a certain way to each individual, but all come into play when a judgement call is made. Let me explain each in detail:

• Strength of Composition. Gameplay is understandable and efficient, visual and audial aspects are clear and attractive, and the entire game fits together.

• Fluidity of Controls. Button setup makes sense, and player involvement is well balanced and immersive.

•Ease of enjoyment. Playing the game is fun, not frustrating, and is quick to provide this for the player. This is also where genre comes in; different genres provide different levels of fun for different people.

• Good use of story. Some games don't need a story to be good, while others do. A good story itself is based on three aspects: immersion, believability, and smoothness.

•Immersion. The story pulls you in and involves you emotionally from start to finish. Keep in mind that detaching you for the sake of humor is involvement: you are continuously looking for humor as an observer.

•Believability. The emotions, actions, and plot elements present are realistic and within the nature of the characters or natural laws of the setting.

•Smoothness. Transitions in scene and thought are understandable and clear, unless lack of clarity is intentional.

All of these ideas come into play when someone decides whether they like a game. As I said, all of these are subjective, which is what leads to differences in opinion; it's only when the the majority of people agree on the same aspect for the same reason is it considered an issue with the work and not personal preference. How important any of these aspects are, and what is a positive use of any of these aspects, is dependent on the person. For example, no Halo game will ever get a 10/10 from me, because I put heavy stock in a strong plot that is a central idea of the game, which isn't as important in the Halo games. Other people who put emphasis on ease of enjoyment will love Halo, because it is probably one the best examples of being fun very quickly for most people.

Anyways, for me, my 10/10 games are:

-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

-Batman: Arkham Asylum.

-Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

-Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Quantum Meme wrote:

If you think Halo 4 deserves a 10/10, then the Modern Warfare series deserves a 10 too; the only great part (key word: great) is the campaign.

coughmodernwarfare3cough

I dislike how they made the sequel to my favourite Call of Duty terrible.

Superman 64

I mean… holy shit, those controls. 10/10
Graphics are fucking flawless. No competition. 10/10
Sound is crystallized-plexiglass clear. 10/10
Story is unlawfully holy. Metal Gear Solid series ain't got shit on this. 10/10
Gameplay is at its peak. No Zelda, Mario, Megaman, or anything can touch the gameplay. 10/10
Overall: 42/10. Buy this game or die.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!