Forums / Discussion / General

232,886 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Am I the Only One Here Who Likes Advice Animals?

Last posted Nov 15, 2012 at 08:42PM EST. Added Nov 14, 2012 at 12:46PM EST
17 posts from 15 users

I'm getting tired of people who go on advice animal pages and complain about them in the comments. Look, I only like these images if it matches the theme and it has enough spread. Also, stop dumping on Don. It's not his fault.

I'm on your side, to a point. I try to say to wait, and not say "ADVICE ANIMAL? DEADPOOL LOL" Too bad every time I try to defend Don, the commenters who don't know how to use karma right negakarma me pretty bad.

Twilitlord wrote:

I'm on your side, to a point. I try to say to wait, and not say "ADVICE ANIMAL? DEADPOOL LOL" Too bad every time I try to defend Don, the commenters who don't know how to use karma right negakarma me pretty bad.

I know that feel bro. Most of the time I say +1 wait.

Personal bias should not factor into something being a meme. The only thing that matters is spread. Gak is a good example of that. On one side, you have non bronies bitching about how it should be deadpooled just because they think there are to many pony memes. Guess what, Pokemon has more, go complain there. On the other side, bronies swearing it's a meme and proclaiming it as the fastest growing meme or something before giving it time. Personal bias has no place in meme research.

I have found enjoyment in quite a few advice animals. Although I do get a tiny bit annoyed that a new one pops up every week and a lot of them are not that funny or clever at all, I get way more annoyed by the commenters. I already made my rant in another thread, though. I hate people ragging on Don for making the article, too, because he actually makes a very good article even when there is not that much information or spread to go on.

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 12:40AM EST

Advice Animals are commonly hated for a certain amount of reasons:

• Unoriginality: Face it, a lot are almost identical but only focus on a slightly different stereotype.
  • Large amount of vartiations: Repeatance causes annoyance, and to those that see no difference between them this effect is multiplied.
  • Unfunny: Matter of opinion, but due to the large quantity of dislikers seems common.
  • Bandwagon hate: Hate makes you cool on the internet, thus everyone does it.

Does this mean Advice Animals are hated by everyone and therefore not memes in any way? No, and fuck you if you thought so.

I don't dislike all advice animals. I dislike the newer ones, which seem to be too specialized, too forced, and the whole new variants created for a tiny, specific occurrence. Most of them only get like 150 images during being forced, and after that we forget about them- if I had a way to rig karma on reddit, I could easily fake creating an advice animal. Nobody would notice- just a couple dozen macroes and an upvote storm and it would be a confirmed entry here.
Which, of course, means that I think a lot of new advice animal entries lack notability and should be deadpooled.

The problem is not because advice animals are bad…it's because there are too many and only a small minority is pretty good. It feels like ever since the inception of this style of fad, people (specifically reddit) forces a ton of advice animals in hopes of a full-blown meme.

You can clearly tell which ones are well-liked and which ones suck. The ones that often crossover into other fads are the one that are well liked.

Yeah, I'd say they are among the "most-often-forced" memes.

Also, It really rustles my jimmies when people say "meme" when they mean "Image with superimposed impact font text in bold white."

That said, some work. Time will tell us. Bad Luck Brian took off, and is most surely what I'd credit a legit meme, and a deserved entry… others…

As I explained earlier, I never got how to use Advice Animals. Using stereotypes is confusing for me in terms of writing, and I could very easily make the same joke without using the macro.

So all in all, I find it annoyingly useless to my interest.

I like some of them. But the things that I hate about them is that there's WAY too many of them (around 80 or more), And 90% of them aren't even funny. I wish Reddit/9gag/FunnyJunk/ would stop beating a dead horse and make more original content.

I detest them. Mostly for the reasons MDF and RandomMan mentioned, but also because I think they're discrediting the term "meme." Four out of five times, when I hear the word "meme" on the street or in school, someone's talking about an image macro. It's nitpicking, I know, but when you really care about something, you tend to get that way.

I don't think Advice Animals are bad. Just juvenile, so they fail to amuse my adult mind

As far as memes go, they are all kids stuff that kids make for kids. I say this because I see advice animals as "Entry Level memes" just like rage comics. As I had explained in another thread; an entry level meme is a particular meme that is extremely simple in concept, extremely easy to mutate, appealing to a lower common denominator and widely accessible. So internet newbies can grasp it easily.

Advice animals are so easy. You just take a stereotype, put a statement in the top and a contradiction in the bottom. So damn easy a kid can do it…and I bet lots of advice animals are made by kids who do just that.

It's amusing for them and that's fine, they can have their fun. I suppose it's one way for them to learn the concept of meme mutation. But for me, Advice Animals are just all the same and they appear tiring. I need more sophisticated memes to entertain me

Last edited Nov 15, 2012 at 08:43PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!