Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Seapunk and Why Do People Hate It?

Last posted Nov 17, 2012 at 08:55PM EST. Added Nov 14, 2012 at 09:15PM EST
17 posts from 10 users

So I noticed the new Seapunk entry on KYM and this is probably the entry with the fastest hate storm. So, why do people hate it? I never even heard of Seapunk until today by the way.

I noticed that too. I only just found about Seapunk now and it's just another art form as far as I can see. Some of that artwork is pretty damn good so I see no reason to be upset over it either.

If by "hate" you mean the comments on the Seapunk entry, well frankly I don't think the butthurt has to do with Seapunk itself but rather the notion of it being a meme. It's not a meme, they know it and they are being very vocal about it

People always fail to notice the little SUBCULTURE icon at the top for some reason. The fear of forced memes clouds common sense from what I can tell.

The comment sections are infested with these rabid screaming deadpoolers at the moment. People who apparently have nothing better to do than to shit all over virtually every single entry they are unfamiliar with without making the slightest bit of effort to research the entry themselves and actually help with KYM's purpose.

These are the same people who keep trending the Gak page with "I DUN LIKE THIS SO IT MUST BE DEADPOOLED!1!11!!![reaction image]" despite the fact that their attitude towards it is actually a reason to keep researching it for its obvious impact. And the same people that bomb every BNM entry with "OP IS FAG LOLOL GIVE ME UPVOATS[Reaction image]"

I'm not saying that Seapunk actually is notable enough to be fully confirmed. It certainly has too little influence overall to be confirmed for anything at this point pending on further study. But this does not warrant outright bitching and moaning over it's front page status. There's no need to hate on it, demand deletion and call for Amanda.B's head to roll

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who finds all this hostility utterly obnoxious

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 09:43PM EST

Ooooooh, trust me, BSoD, you're not the only one. I don't know why I even look at comments anymore. Every time I go to Don's entries, you know the ones, made soon after an image macro's creation to beat crappy BNM entries to the punch, I see a bunch of "DON+ADVICE ANIMAL? INSTANT DEADPOOL BECAUSE REASONS" comments, and I just have to go "hey, guys, it's better than a BNM making a one-sentence entry, and besides, you sound like you don't visit [site of meme origin]; let's just say wait, or have we forgotten that that's an option?" Usually it's better worded and backed up with evidence at 1 in the morning (my best posts are written really late at night), but you get the idea. Of course I get karma raped because the commenters, who have a poor understanding of karma's function, don't like my opinion, but whatever.

I haven't really taken a look at the Seapunk comments, but I've looked at the article. Considering it's a pretty niche subculture, I'd assume they're pretty bad.

EDIT: Oh dear Jesus.

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 09:57PM EST

With seapunk, literally no one has heard it.

But if you looked at the front page, you would know how it became popular. It was because of pop singer Rihanna using backgrounds that were affiliated with the seapunk subculture…or so the seapunk fans claimed it was copied from. They started a "protest" and got noticed.

Most of us have no idea what seapunk is, but that incident caused it to grow.

@maple

Precisely. The point should be that a controversy involving a popular pop figure and Seapunk plagiarism made the rounds across the internet. That's what's being documented right now.

It's not saying that Seapunk is suddenly a meme or that we should all like it. So people spamming the comments with "WHAT IS THIS, THIS SHOULDNT BE HERE!?" and other useless shitposts should be the ones being downvoted, not chowzburger for questioning people on their overactive tendencies

It's not the Seapunk that's the problem, it's the commenters. Some of the comments sections on this site are pretty alright and I like to check in on them every now and again, but most meme pages (especially new ones) get the deadpool bandwagon on their ass. You can just tell that at least half the people that scream deadpool on every page are just bandwagoners. Look at the Bad Luck Brian page. This macro is one of the most beloved ones on KYM right now, but take a look at the older comments. Most commenters literally don't even care what the subject matter is or how much spread it has, they only wanna give their negative view to look smart and seem like internet experts. And don't even get me started on pages that are subculters/people/etc.

@BSoD: Which is why I've been downvoting them.

The non-forum community seriously pisses me off recently. It's incredible, the difference in attitude and rule knowledge between forum users and comment-only users. I wish there was a better way to make everyone know the rules, especially rule 7.

@Crimson, who ninja'd me: The problem is that a lot of users don't visit the site of origin, then decide that since they haven't heard of it, it must be forced, so they use their deadpool vote (which obviously has a say in the decision). Unfortunately, it just makes them sound like immature jerks calling for blood. I'm pretty sure most commenters just scroll down to the bottom of the entries and scream for deadpooling. First, read the article and notice it's been around for a year, second, don't comment on it if you obviously only visit KYM for memes.

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 10:23PM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

It's not the Seapunk that's the problem, it's the commenters. Some of the comments sections on this site are pretty alright and I like to check in on them every now and again, but most meme pages (especially new ones) get the deadpool bandwagon on their ass. You can just tell that at least half the people that scream deadpool on every page are just bandwagoners. Look at the Bad Luck Brian page. This macro is one of the most beloved ones on KYM right now, but take a look at the older comments. Most commenters literally don't even care what the subject matter is or how much spread it has, they only wanna give their negative view to look smart and seem like internet experts. And don't even get me started on pages that are subculters/people/etc.

If You Know What I Mean was our second most popular submission entry besides Gangnam Style before it got confirmed. Those that hate the meme are the cause that it got bumped so many times and that it received spread in general as well. They are there own worst enemy.

BSoD's posts pretty much sum up most of the mods' opinions.

"I hate this or never heard about it, therefore it's not a meme."

-Comments

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 10:26PM EST

I wonder how many commenters even know what a "forced meme" really means. I also think a lot of the commenters don't even care if they end up bumping a meme they hate as long as they can get their oh so important opinion out there

Crimson Locks wrote:

I wonder how many commenters even know what a "forced meme" really means. I also think a lot of the commenters don't even care if they end up bumping a meme they hate as long as they can get their oh so important opinion out there

"Forced" is an invalid argument. Whether on purpose or not, spread is still spread, and somehow this "forced" meme was capable of catching on. An individual or small group can only reach so many people with their creation, it's then up to those people to like it and share it or dislike it and ignore it. If they share it, the "forced" meme is no longer forced, because people who share it for legit reasons now help in its spread. If they don't share it, it's not a "forced" meme, just a bad attempt at creating a meme. Nobody runs the spread, and everything will eventually go its natural way.

But you were most likely pointing out to the fact that forced is pretty much a standard argument these days, whether it can apply or not. But that still covers the invalid factor.

Last edited Nov 14, 2012 at 10:57PM EST

Seapunk reminded me of when I searched up something similar in a musical genre. Aquacrunk, in fact.

Odd. (I'm sure BSoD with his musical mind should know something)

My most hated comment ever:

"I hate this so it can't be a meme"

Once again, someone thinking their opinion is factual again…

>Bump

I don't hate seapunk. However, I hadn't actually heard of it until I saw the entry for it, because I'm sort of out of the loop when it comes to pop music, with the exception of indie pop. However, I know that just because I haven't heard of it, it's not a justification for shouting "Deadpool!"

I do think that it's an interesting subculture. I won't say whether or not I think the entry should deadpool, because my opinion doesn't matter in the slightest, but I will say that if it's proven to have spread and if the entry is decently written, then it should be confirmed.

I agree 100% that the problem is the Know Your Meme commenters that likely don't even bother to so much as Google search the topic of the entry before saying that it should deadpool, more often than not simply because they dislike the subject or haven't heard of it. It's not a justification for an entry to deadpool just because you dislike it. And also, just because YOU haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it has no spread at all, and thus should be deadpooled.

I try to avoid the Know Your Meme entry comment pages, to be honest. So other than the little I've seen and what I've heard, I don't know what goes on in there. But if I see an Advice Dog spin-off created by an entry moderator or administrator or whatever, if I feel like it, I might post something like what I said above.

Also, why would an entry moderator deadpool their own entry? Doesn't that make the commenters' opinions even more void? And why would they create the entry to begin with if they didn't think that the thing they were creating the entry about wasn't a meme?

Back on the topic though, I don't hate seapunk. I have no reason to dislike it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!