Forums / Discussion / General

232,753 total conversations in 7,782 threads

+ New Thread

Ahem... (Half-Life Movies and lazy OPs)

Last posted Nov 29, 2012 at 07:16PM EST. Added Nov 27, 2012 at 11:30PM EST
11 posts from 10 users

I don't mind a thread like this being in general, but I really think you should actually state what the article is about in your post so people don't have to actually click on the link and wait for the page to load to know what you're talking about.

Anyways, a Half-Life movie makes me very skeptical… But hey, a couple of successful video-game based movies have come out recently.

"Where we got into this direction was after Half-Life 1 had shipped. There was a whole bunch of meetings with people from Hollywood.

"Directors down there wanted to make a Half-Life movie and stuff, so they’d bring in a writer or some talent agency would bring in writers, and they would pitch us on their story.

"And their stories were just so bad. I mean, brutally, the worst. Not understanding what made the game a good game, or what made the property an interesting thing for people to be a fan of," Newell said.

Yeah, creators tend to have the final say in this kind of thing. I'm not disappointed though; video game movies tend to be absolutely horrible. The more dear a franchise is to my heart, the more reluctant I am to see it cinemafied. That's why the plans to make a movie adaptation of Shadow of the Colossus terrify me. ;__;

Last edited Nov 28, 2012 at 12:37AM EST

Half Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

Oh. Alright then.

Meh. Can't say I'd be too psyched about a movie. I mean, I've more or less given up on Half-Life 3 anyways. If the game happens, it happens, and that'll be great. If it doesn't, that's a shame, but we'll get over it. I could see Half-Life being a good plot for a movie, sure, but I can't think of any stories it could tell better than the games did.

Last edited Nov 28, 2012 at 12:44AM EST

Video Games have potential for films, but the problem is the these producers choose not to. With the large amount of video game films, it doesn't matter if it makes no sense, as long as it makes money of the fanbase, they can put in the least amount of effort and get loads for it. Hell, there was a RollerCoaster Tycoon and Sims movie in production at one point. Sure some video game movies are good, Like Layton or Ace Attorney, but the majority don't.

It probably won't happen. I keep hearing rumors about Bioshock, Halo, Mass Effect, and so many other countless games getting a movie, but nothing ever happens. The only video game movies in recent memory are some sucky Street Fighter movie, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, and Wreck-It Ralph (which technically isn't the same, but whatever). There was also that movie "Gamer" with the dude from 300, but I don't think that counts either.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!