Forums / Discussion / General

232,885 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Will You Still Donate to the Salvation Army?

Last posted Nov 30, 2012 at 07:02PM EST. Added Nov 29, 2012 at 07:23PM EST
16 posts from 12 users

Recently a Salvation Army Official went on the air on a talk show hosted by two gay men and stated his views on homosexuality.
For those of you too lazy to read the article, here's a short video about it

This is similar to the Chick-fil-a controversy that happened a few months ago. TSA has had several occurrences over its lifespan of the charity (or members running the charity) committing acts against the LGBT community. But then I've also seen many comments such as this made by supposed members of TSA

I am a member of The Salvation Army and this story disgusts me. As an employee, I have worked with LGBTQ individuals who felt totally comfortable at our facility. I have attended Salvation Army churches with homosexuals as well, and they feel welcomed and accepted. If, in my line of work, I had even attempted to turn down service to someone because they were in a same-sex relationship (btw, the thought would never even cross my mind), I would have been reprimanded by every superior I have ever had, because it violates our policy of non-discrimination of service and does NOT represent Christian love. It's none of my frickin' business what kind of relationship they're in.

I am completely understanding if the actions of one mis-informed and bigoted individual turn you off from us as a charity, because his actions were cruel and hurtful. However, if you have faith in the more progressive element of TSA, those of us who are part of the good work that happens, but deeply ashamed of stances like this, please continue to support and help us make sure that change happens (including, but not limited to the elimination of that particular position statement).

Which brings the question of if these acts are just the acts of individuals under the Salvation Army's name or if the charity is as a whole against the community.

From the information I have right now, I think I will continue to give my money to those Santa bell ringers that stand outside the stores and are always so friendly.

What will you guys do?

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 07:24PM EST

I never would have donated to the Salvation Army, since I'm against charities that actively engage in spreading religion as part of their work. I have heard similar allegations against them before, so it's interesting to see that it's "confirmed".

I'd go with the published statement from the company instead of what one guy said. The Salvation Army does a lot of good all the same. I wouldn't withhold my spare change from a charity run by a gay man, I'm not going to withhold my spare change from one run by an anti-gay man.

I think that people who just want to help shouldn't be prevented from doing so because one person in their upper ranks is a bigot.
One official hates gays? Great. There are bigots amongst a large organization? How shocking. Let's stop them from helping homeless people, that will show them how to be progressive.

Well, like I said, I have different reasons why I eschew the Salvation Army:

• I agree that the organization should not be criticized for what one of its members says.
  • I do not like how their help for the homeless is contingent on the homeless converting to Christianity, at least in words. That's why I dislike the Salvation Army. I honestly believe that charity should be given without regards for the recipient's religion, race, gender, etc.

The only way this whole thing would rustle me is if the claims that members have treated homosexuals unfairly/denied them help because of their sexual orientation are true. I'm with everyone else that I really don't care about what an official says. TSA is a Christian charity, do you really expect one of their officials to be a-ok with homosexuality? (Not to say every Christian is hateful towards gays) I only care if my money is going towards the wrong causes.

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 11:22PM EST

The article seems a tad skewed in my opinion; not at all that there isn't merit to the general idea behind the controversy, but it's obvious what the bias is when reading it.

Overall, I think TSA does good work, and I'm not going to let this dampen any support I give. Each person has their opinions, those opinions aren't going to be changed easily, and if the overall effort is a positive one, then there's no point in dampening things.

Teh Brawler wrote:

The article seems a tad skewed in my opinion; not at all that there isn't merit to the general idea behind the controversy, but it's obvious what the bias is when reading it.

Overall, I think TSA does good work, and I'm not going to let this dampen any support I give. Each person has their opinions, those opinions aren't going to be changed easily, and if the overall effort is a positive one, then there's no point in dampening things.

I would agree with this. This article had the most information I could find on the matter in one place, but the bias did tick me off.

Papa Coolface wrote:

I'm gonna fight 'em off.
Salvation army couldn't hold me back.

dum-da-da-da-da-dum-duummm dum-da-da-da-da-dum-duuummm

Now you behave there.

I personally don't mind. I kind of just feel like it's something that's going to pass over, and eventually be improved, once more tolerance comes. I'm actually gay and I've rung the bells a couple of times for TSA. Though I agree with the charity organizations needing to be neutral and without ulterior motives, Salvation Army has been too much help to simply not support.

Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 09:28AM EST

One person thinks gays are bad.
It is like having an anti-gay president, "AN AMERICAN OFFICIAL HATES HOMOSEXUALITY. AMERICA HATES EVERY SINGLE GAY PERSON OUT THERE!"
It makes no since why someone in charge's opinion is look at like the everyone and the company had the same. COMPANY'S ARE NOT PEOPLE. They can't have opinions!
I am still donating, it is like eating at chic-filae, the president is anti-gay, so if i contribute to the company, i contribute to anti-gays? NOPE. I am only contributing to the company and the president's pocket.
I hate when people treat a leader as the image of the whole company, and they act like a business can have feelings and opinions. They don't.

12321pop2 wrote:

One person thinks gays are bad.
It is like having an anti-gay president, "AN AMERICAN OFFICIAL HATES HOMOSEXUALITY. AMERICA HATES EVERY SINGLE GAY PERSON OUT THERE!"
It makes no since why someone in charge's opinion is look at like the everyone and the company had the same. COMPANY'S ARE NOT PEOPLE. They can't have opinions!
I am still donating, it is like eating at chic-filae, the president is anti-gay, so if i contribute to the company, i contribute to anti-gays? NOPE. I am only contributing to the company and the president's pocket.
I hate when people treat a leader as the image of the whole company, and they act like a business can have feelings and opinions. They don't.

I'm not saying I disagree or anything… or that this comment is technically relevant, but uh
Companies can, under circumstances be considered people.

Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 06:48PM EST

I donated because I had a piece of trash in my hand as I was walking into my local grocery store. The donation bucket was right next to a trash can. As I reached my hand out to throw the trash away, the bell ringer joyously said "thank you!", only to realize that I was just throwing some trash away. After realizing his mistake he only said "oh" The embarrassment and disappointment in his voice as he said that guilted me into dropping a dollar into the bucket.

The I realized that he was actually using MAH BUKKET! So I took it, dumped the money on the ground and ran away with mah bukket. It is safe at last.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!