Forums / Discussion / General

168,568 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread

Itunes 11

Last posted Dec 07, 2012 at 04:55AM EST. Added Nov 30, 2012 at 11:33AM EST
41 posts from 23 users

Thoughts?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:33AM EST

When I saw the GUI this morning, I thought to myself “Well, I’m done”. Good work, Apple. You’ve finally managed to get me off iTunes, something that’s been a long time coming.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:49AM EST

Personally, I can’t stand any of the iTunes programs.

They’re all sluggish as fuck and rarely have any incredible functionality that I can’t get elsewhere.

At the moment I’m using an Xch4nge skinned Foobar.

It takes about 3 seconds to load into and is faster and has better customizability (and with that functionality) than iTunes.

Pic related, my Foobar:

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:49AM EST

itunes 11 – absolutely terrible.

• Slow and sluggish access to the store over a broadband connection (always been like this)
  • New interface sucks (not used to it – stop changing stuff that worked)
  • No workaround for the useless drivers and software (yet) (was possible in itunes 10 to download only specific packages and remove anything not being used)

0/10 not going to use at all.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:05PM EST

I stopped saying “No” to all of Apple’s “upgrades” a long time ago. I love my iPod, but iTunes is just a major pain to use and makes everything a thousand times more complicated than it should be,

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:08PM EST

I just updated, and immediately I’m regretting it. Before, I had my music separated into ‘electronica’, and ‘everything else’, and within each of those playlists I had everything arranged by album according to date of release, under artists by alphabetical order. That might sound a little overly complicated, but it meant that I knew exactly where to look to find a particular song or artist. That functionality is still included, but in order to see things like that I have to deal with an incredibly unattractive list of songs which seems to stretch on forever. Beforehand, I could at least see album covers, which broke up the list, made it easy to navigate, and made everything somewhat attractive. Now it’s just depressing. It seems like they aimed this update towards people who like having a pretty GUI, and don’t care much about customisation (something found much too often in modern systems, with Windows 8 being the worst example).

I’m with opspe here, this update has driven me away from iTunes. Anyone know of any decent alternatives?

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:33PM EST

I haven’t updated once since I got it in 2009. Updates always ruin everything.

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:01PM EST

This pretty much sums up the reasons I’m not so sure about this update. Plus, the search bar acts like Spotlight now (which I hate using).

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:36PM EST

I don’t think I’ll be updating to iTunes 11 anytime soon. Unlike some users here, though, I’m not sure if I’m altogether finished with iTunes, although I can easily see reasons why that might be the case for you. As a matter of fact, actually, I’m still on iTunes 9.

I don’t want to update it because I like the “Home Share” feature a decent amount, and the Genius Mixes and iTunes LPs were both also added to the pretty big update. It still works perfectly fine for me, and I don’t see why I should update it. I don’t have very much reason to use iTunes as it is, mainly because I can just use other services like Pandora, Grooveshark and Spotify when I want to listen to music. I’d also rather just subscribe to podcasts over getting songs on iTunes.

I don’t listen to music extremely often anyway. If I did buy everything I listened to on iTunes, it would be rather a waste of money for me, because I wouldn’t listen to what I bought very often anyway. Most of the music I listen to I don’t get charged for access to, and I would definitely prefer to keep it that way.

I dislike music videos too, and I’m not going to spend any money on those.

If it’s movies and television shows that we’re talking about, I already have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video, and I’m perfectly happy with those three services, so I never go into the iTunes video library.

I’ve been following iTunes 11 and its developments as much as the next guy, and I don’t think I’ll update anytime soon, like I said earlier. My relatively small iTunes library is fine as it is.

Of course, I’d be open to using alternatives if anybody has them. For example, that system Chris is currently using might be something I have to take a look into.

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:27AM EST

All I know is that Katie C told us to not to get the new iTunes.

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:30AM EST

I’ve hated iTunes since forever. To me, it’s just not a good service. If I ever need music for anything, I usually just download MP3s out of Youtube.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:30PM EST

FudgeGruck wrote:

I’ve hated iTunes since forever. To me, it’s just not a good service. If I ever need music for anything, I usually just download MP3s out of Youtube.

But what about the artists?

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:29PM EST

ZillieZephyr wrote:

My personal philosophy is that if you put out art for the world to see, It’s meant to be shown to the people, not at a price, but for free. If people pirated music or a movie I made, I’d be fine with it.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:46PM EST

FudgeGruck wrote:

My personal philosophy is that if you put out art for the world to see, It’s meant to be shown to the people, not at a price, but for free. If people pirated music or a movie I made, I’d be fine with it.

That sounds great in theory, but some people have to earn a living by making movies or music. If the world at large suddenly decided that all art-forms should be freely available to the public, those art-forms would rapidly decrease in quality and quantity. I don’t know of anybody who’d be willing to pay millions out of their own pocket in order to fund the production of a movie, without any prospect of earning something back from that investment. When it comes to very rich musical acts, I don’t mind if a few people are pirating their work (it’s not like big record labels need any more money than they already have), but a lot of small artists barely even manage to get by through their music. Their few fans who are willing to pay may be their only source of income, and it’s kind of unfair to take that from them.

/rant

Anyways, getting back on topic, I just switched from iTunes 11 to Songbird, and it looks very similar to the old iTunes. It automatically imports your iTunes library, complete with any formatting. It’s also a lot more customisable, so overall I’m calling this a massive improvement. I think I’ll only be using iTunes for the iTunes Store from now on.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:16PM EST

>updates iTunes
>actually kind of like it

Besides the loss of the show album art when sorted by song and sort by artist by year, I like some of the new features. Dunno, I just get used to new things quickly I guess. Change doesn’t affect me.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 03:29PM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 03:26PM EST

Take the advice on my wall. Don’t download the new iTunes.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:20PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

Take the advice on my wall. Don’t download the new iTunes.

Yes, because we’re all definitely going to go to your wall to look at that.

Because it’s the jumpinest joint on the block.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:12PM EST

The new interface is much cleaner and nicer. The contrast on the new icon is also an upgrade, and the features they killed off are rarely used. It doesn’t matter though, because people will still bitch about it anyway.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:12AM EST

Okay, here are some clarifications. I see a lot of you making incorrect statements regarding the visual and functional aspects of iTunes 11.

• The sidebar is not dead. View > Show sidebar will display the classic sidebar interface.

• Home Share is also not dead. It’s in the menu at the top left corner.

• Genius playlist functionality isn’t dead. They consolidated it with Smart Playlist and made it less obnoxious.

• Advanced sorting functionality is still present under the View menu.

• “Album by Artist” view is still present. It’s now just “Artists,” but looks exactly the same.

I love the update, myself. Looks nice, less sluggish, and I LOVE the “Up Next” queue. I also love the Spotlight-like search. The simple search was less useful to me.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:19AM EST

量子 Meme wrote:

All I know is that Katie C told us to not to get the new iTunes.

And they’re right, it’s terrible! And I’m not the one to complain about redesigns, either!

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:18PM EST

ZillieZephyr wrote:

Most of the money goes to the record label, which doesn’t do shit in regards to making music.

There are a lot of musicians these days that are trying to go it alone without the labels and they’re succeeding, or the musicians have their own labels. Many musicians aren’t worried too much about file sharing, especially younger ones that stay away from the big labels. There are even artists that are pro-sharing and instead ask consumers to pay what they think is fair. Turns out there are plenty of people with plenty of money that are willing to overpay because it’s fair for them to do so.

Also, even Neil Young is pro-piracy, calling piracy “the new radio”.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:53PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

Most of the money goes to the record label, which doesn’t do shit in regards to making music.

There are a lot of musicians these days that are trying to go it alone without the labels and they’re succeeding, or the musicians have their own labels. Many musicians aren’t worried too much about file sharing, especially younger ones that stay away from the big labels. There are even artists that are pro-sharing and instead ask consumers to pay what they think is fair. Turns out there are plenty of people with plenty of money that are willing to overpay because it’s fair for them to do so.

Sufjan Steven’s too.
You’re absolutely right, but there is one problem with this view. If an artists does not agree with piracy and music sharing and happens to be under a label, then is it really right for us to take from them? I feel like that’s a huge disrespect to the artist.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:43PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

But what about the poor record label executives, who can’t make money from their jobs because nobody wants to purchase music?

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:21PM EST

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

But what about the poor record label executives, who can’t make money from their jobs because nobody wants to purchase music?

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:51PM EST

I’ve actually been talking with Fandroid about the new iTunes, and it might get my seal of approval.

If it does, I’ll have to change the program on my about.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:07PM EST

I’ve always hated iTunes. It’s bulky, convoluted, and it keeps setting itself as the default player for everything.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:21PM EST

Ok, downloaded the new iTunes. It’s faster, but the GUI is a pain in the ass.
So…kind of pointless.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:31PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

Ok, downloaded the new iTunes. It’s faster, but the GUI is a pain in the ass.
So…kind of pointless.

Hold up.

You put up a whole list of reasons why we shouldn’t download this product on your page when you hadn’t even tried it yet?

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:38PM EST

Fridge wrote:

Hold up.

You put up a whole list of reasons why we shouldn’t download this product on your page when you hadn’t even tried it yet?

I put “Don’t download the new iTunes” on my wall a long time ago, over a year ago. That’s because there’s always a new iTunes and you don’t need to download it.

You don’t need to download iTunes 11 either.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:41PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

I put “Don’t download the new iTunes” on my wall a long time ago, over a year ago. That’s because there’s always a new iTunes and you don’t need to download it.

You don’t need to download iTunes 11 either.

You can’t just assume that it’s bad if you haven’t used it sufficiently. If you think people rely on your advice, you should at least give them the benefit of experience.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:01PM EST

Fridge wrote:

You can’t just assume that it’s bad if you haven’t used it sufficiently. If you think people rely on your advice, you should at least give them the benefit of experience.

Fridge, I set that on there as a general rule for iTunes downloads in general over a year ago. Every week there’s a new iTunes and every single time there hasn’t really been any reason to download it.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:06PM EST

But anyway, keeping up with all the updates is oftentimes a pain in the ass and they add stuff completely unnecessary that just slows everything down, it used to be that iTunes would just open, now it opens, then it has to update Genius, check the iTunes store, update playlists, contact Mars, raise shields, activate the atomic soundwave booster, scan for nuclear barracudas, etc.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:21PM EST

I only ever used iTunes to upload my MP3s to my iPhone, never as a music player by itself. It always hogs system resources like a pig so I used other lighter programs to play music.

Even Windows Media Player is a decent alternative.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:55AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!