Forums / Discussion / General

168,634 total conversations in 5,403 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Can you recommend me an ISP?

Last posted Dec 04, 2012 at 10:05PM EST. Added Dec 01, 2012 at 02:37PM EST
11 posts from 9 users

For as long as my family has known the glory of internet we’ve bounced from shitty ISP to shitty ISP. Now that our 2-Year Google Clear contract has finally expired we’re looking for a new service, but can’t decide.

We live in Southern California, and right now the two options we’re bouncing between getting are Verizon Fios and Time Warner Cable. We’ve had TWC before and it was pretty awful, and tons of people online echo the sentiment. So we were going to go with Fios, and had to wait two weeks before they would install. But now, for whatever reason, they say we’ll have to wait another three weeks, even though our hardware’s already here and we just need the tech guys to hook us up to the network. So now we’re in a dilemma. Can anyone vouch for TWC or Fios, or even another ISP entirely? We need something that does games well, and can handle multiple users drawing on the connection without slowing down too much.

tl;dr: We need a good Southern California ISP.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:37PM EST

If the hardware is already there and the physical line is already there, hook it up yourself and see if DHCP will get you on the network. You could probably google for the default admin password and IP address for your brand of router if you need them, and contact tech support to activate your router in their system if you need to do that.

If “Fios” actually runs FIOS to your house, you cannot get a better connection than that.

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 07:00PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 06:59PM EST

My family uses Charter, personally
We got the tv, internet, and phone bundle
its cheap as hell for what’s offered

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:12PM EST

Fellow SoCalfag here. Whatever you do. Whatever the FUCK you do…do NOT get AT&T. Just don’t. It’s the only ISP available in the complex I live in so I make do with I can get, but it’s just the worst I’ve ever had. Frequent connection issues and I have had 4 times in the two years I’ve lived here that the internet has completely gone down for days at a time and I had to call out some neckbearded service guy to fix this shit. As someone who relies on the internet so much, for entertainment/leisure and more, that is a huge problem. And nearly every time it rains, which isn’t often since it’s SoCal, the issues get even more crippling.

tl;dr: Stay the fuck away from AT&T.

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:41PM EST

If you have the money, you could get a business-class ISP. I hear those things get up to 5 Gb/s

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:28AM EST

COMCAST/XFINITY!!

That’s what I have, and they’re great. Very stable connections (Occasionally goes down because of crappy wiring where we live, but it’s back up within the day!), and good bandwidth. I can host a Minecraft server with ~21 people with minimal latency or bandwidth issues, and I only have their residential plan.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 01:37PM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 01:28PM EST

TehRussBus wrote:

Fellow SoCalfag here. Whatever you do. Whatever the FUCK you do…do NOT get AT&T. Just don’t. It’s the only ISP available in the complex I live in so I make do with I can get, but it’s just the worst I’ve ever had. Frequent connection issues and I have had 4 times in the two years I’ve lived here that the internet has completely gone down for days at a time and I had to call out some neckbearded service guy to fix this shit. As someone who relies on the internet so much, for entertainment/leisure and more, that is a huge problem. And nearly every time it rains, which isn’t often since it’s SoCal, the issues get even more crippling.

tl;dr: Stay the fuck away from AT&T.

Fuck.

I thought we were going to get Verizon Fios, but it turns out that Fios can’t service the area we live in, so we’ve been waiting for AT&T.

FUCK SHIT PISS DARN

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:46PM EST

Got this at Walmart!!

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:49PM EST

We got Time Warner. It’s 20x faster than the internet we’ve had for the last two years. I got a 4bar in the first game I played when I haven’t gotten a 4bar ever.

Cheers! Feel free to lock.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:05PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!