Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

The Royal Couple is Pregnant

Last posted Dec 08, 2012 at 01:29AM EST. Added Dec 03, 2012 at 11:26AM EST
39 posts from 26 users

Mexx Android wrote:

I would like to hear more details, thank you very much.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/03/15576447-duchess-kate-is-pregnant-with-first-child#comments

Sorry, I guess my response was a bit uncalled for.

But I just get kind of sick of hearing about celebrity/royalty gossip most of time. It's never made sense to me.

Carry on.

null wrote:

I agree with this. The reason is that it detracts from news of substance. People get so worked up over it, and it really is SO irrelevant to everyday life. It's just as bad as Hollywood gossip, which is why people love it I guess…

Also INB4 it's referenced in MLP…again…

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 01:09PM EST

Despite living in England, I always find it fairly difficult to get excited about royal family news. They actually visited my university a few days ago, but I decided not to see them. Didn't seem worth falling behind on my work and fighting through the crowds just to see someone who won the lottery of birth and happened to be born into fame and riches (not that I'm cynical or anything).

The only thing I find interesting about this story is that the child has already been put on the list of people waiting to get on the throne, even if it turns out to be a girl. It's good to see that gender equality has finally been recognised by the British monarchy. Took them long enough.

Considering that Queen Elizabeth has ruled for so long, it seems Prince Charles' reign will be a short one.

So despite being 3rd in line to the throne, this child has a quite a good chance of being the Monarch fairly soon.

But I think its quaint that the English only have to worry about one line of succession :P

Algernon wrote:

Despite living in England, I always find it fairly difficult to get excited about royal family news. They actually visited my university a few days ago, but I decided not to see them. Didn't seem worth falling behind on my work and fighting through the crowds just to see someone who won the lottery of birth and happened to be born into fame and riches (not that I'm cynical or anything).

The only thing I find interesting about this story is that the child has already been put on the list of people waiting to get on the throne, even if it turns out to be a girl. It's good to see that gender equality has finally been recognised by the British monarchy. Took them long enough.

I agree, I don't particularly get excited about news on the royal family if it has nothing to do with the state of the country.

Really guys?

On topic: Congrats to them, I'm happy for them.

Yeah, sure, celebrity/royalty "news" isn't news, but hey. It's still nice to know.

My view is that people are dying everyday, and a pregnant lady makes the news.

That's just my views. I honestly couldn't care less about the Royal Family.

@opspe

The reason is that it detracts from news of substance. People get so worked up over it, and it really is SO irrelevant to everyday life. It’s just as bad as Hollywood gossip, which is why people love it I guess…

I feel the same way. Why does the royal family matter anymore? Monarchy is completely defunct and outmoded. The royals are nothing more than rich people with a fancy lineage

Oh, they are pregnant? Good for them. So is my sister. Let me know when real news comes along

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 05:34PM EST

Geez, guys, some of you are being so negative about this. I get that having so many people gush over something that isn't even really news worthy can cause a backlash, but you could at least be happy for them.

Last edited Dec 03, 2012 at 07:18PM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

Considering that Queen Elizabeth has ruled for so long, it seems Prince Charles' reign will be a short one.

So despite being 3rd in line to the throne, this child has a quite a good chance of being the Monarch fairly soon.

But I think its quaint that the English only have to worry about one line of succession :P

Prince Charles has denied that he will assume the throne. He's decided that even if he should inherit it he'll just immediately have it pass on to the next in line.

burning_phoneix wrote:

>Implying we have to worry about our Monarchy

#triggerwarning: Fertile couple

Joking aside, I hate when celebrities and other well known people get the spotlight for being able to do what everyone else can do. Man, if being able to produce a child gets you on TV, my family would always be on. We breed like rabbits.

1-2CrushOnYou wrote:

The Royal family is one reason why I support the right to choose abortion.

I really don't know how to respond to this.

Am I missing something, or is this guy just really bone-headed?

chowzburgerz wrote:

A nurse committed suicide because of some hoax involving the announcement.

I heard about that. Apparently some Australian Radio DJs posed as the Queen and Prince Charles, and they convinced her to divulge sensitive information to them. What those DJs did was pretty damn rotten, but I don't think they got any information that was particularly damaging. All in all, it doesn't seem like it was too much of a big deal.

I really want to know more about this story. The BBC news article for this just said she had 'died because of the hoax', and it refused to say that it had been suicide. It was actually annoyingly vague on the issue, as if suicide has recently become a complete taboo subject and we aren't allowed to even mention it. I just want to know exactly what caused this. If it turns out that she had a history of depression, and this was the last thing to push her over the edge, then I can kinda understand that. If it turns out that this was the sole reason for the suicide, and she killed herself just because she inconvenienced the monarchy, then I can't be quite as sympathetic (as harsh as that sounds). They're just people at the end of the day, and I'm sure they're used to the press making their lives hell. Doesn't seem worth killing yourself over to me.

chowzburgerz wrote:

A nurse committed suicide because of some hoax involving the announcement.

Apparently it was a couple of Australian radio hosts and the nurse was duped and allowed someone else to give them personal details, not a good prank.

Well, I was beaten to it, and in full, nevermind.

Last edited Dec 07, 2012 at 05:35PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!