Forums / Discussion / General

169,915 total conversations in 5,442 threads

+ New Thread

Meet Forest, Manager at KYM

Last posted Dec 25, 2012 at 11:22PM EST. Added Dec 07, 2012 at 07:13PM EST
50 posts from 33 users

Class President

AKA the most popular dude in class who gets the useless position because of his popularity. At least that’s how the stereotype goes.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:46PM EST

I’m actually pretty disgusted by this. Considering he does nothing in terms of research and community management, the fact that he would actually take credit for it just wow.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:58PM EST

Yes, my kitties, put on some half-assed acting and you too can be become a manager of something.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:03AM EST

I’ve just thought of something.

About a week ago, he admins were interviewed by the Daily Dot, which praised the site and the people actually in charge, calling it “the web’s Britannica.”

And then this clown comes along and gets his face in the fucking Wall Street Journal.

So either this situation is incredibly disproportionate to the amount of effort put into this institution, or WSJ is a shit newspaper. I’m leaning both ways.

Last edited Dec 08, 2012 at 12:11AM EST
Dec 08, 2012 at 12:11AM EST

Cale the Witch King of Cats wrote:

Who’s Forest.

The host of the Know Your Meme web series.

As for the link, this is an example of what is this I don’t even at its absolute finest.

On a (slightly) unrelated note, yeah, LOLwork sucks. I watched the pilot episode. 1/10 would not watch more.

Last edited Dec 08, 2012 at 12:12AM EST
Dec 08, 2012 at 12:12AM EST

I miss Jamie, Ellie and Yatta’s episodes.

Last edited Dec 08, 2012 at 12:17AM EST
Dec 08, 2012 at 12:17AM EST

Forrest still plays an important role with the episodes, though not as important as the actual staff. The article seems to be more of a plug for the show than anything else.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:20AM EST

I might have scanned it, but I think the article just says he manages it.

Among his responsibilities at the company are managing Know Your Meme, an online encyclopedia of memes, which are cultural items, like funny photos or sayings, that spread virally among people and on the Internet.

I don’t see where Forest even confirms that he is a manager.

So I wouldn’t be mad at Forest at all. I’d be mad at Wall Street Journal for giving the NYC staff the shaft.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:21AM EST

Verbose wrote:

I might have scanned it, but I think the article just says he manages it.

Among his responsibilities at the company are managing Know Your Meme, an online encyclopedia of memes, which are cultural items, like funny photos or sayings, that spread virally among people and on the Internet.

I don’t see where Forest even confirms that he is a manager.

So I wouldn’t be mad at Forest at all. I’d be mad at Wall Street Journal for giving the NYC staff the shaft.

Well, for WSJ to post it, he obviously never denied that he managed the site either.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:26AM EST

madcat wrote:

Well, for WSJ to post it, he obviously never denied that he managed the site either.

Or perhaps WSJ merely speculated his position with KYM and never bothered to ask him.

This is journalism, after all. Proper research is blasphemous.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:28AM EST

madcat wrote:

Not really.

All WSJ did was probably ask for an interview. Some entities might run the finished article by the interviewed before they run it, but sometimes, the interview just needs to be accurate. I bet Forest didn’t even know about the beginning of the article.

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:50AM EST

I think we should wait and see if Forest himself actually steps forward to explain. Seems unlikely considering he never posts.

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:00AM EST

Random21 wrote:

I think we should wait and see if Forest himself actually steps forward to explain. Seems unlikely considering he never posts.

I agree.

This thread seems to have a staggering number of moderators in it…

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:50AM EST

量子 Meme wrote:

I agree.

Probably because us Mods do a lot of work helping the admins keep the upkeep of the site, and this claims Forest, who’s presence is little to non-existent, is the manager of the site. Personally, I think it was just bad journalism, so I hope Forest can come and explain.

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:29AM EST

量子 Meme wrote:

I agree.

I’ll follow Random 21’s lead. We do a small part to help the staff with documentation and the upkeep of the site, so we know how much work they have to do. Documentation is fun for us and it’s strictly voluntary. It’s fun for them too, I’m sure, but it’s their livelihood. They provide a unique service to the world, actually (or at least provide that service in a unique way.) When people you know and like aren’t properly acknowledged, you take offense to it.

However, I’m not even sure if Forest even knows about the introduction to the article. I’d hope that he’s in touch with the staff (even if he’s not with us in the forum. He doesn’t owe us anything, really.)

But if I could predict what he’d say, it’d be along the lines of not knowing that WSJ would have that introduction. He didn’t read the article/this thread, so he knew nothing of the introduction. At worst, he learned of the introduction at some point and will talk about it with WSJ or the staff some time soon.

At the very worst, he didn’t see it as a big deal, because we know that the staff does a great portion of the research and upkeep of KYM. We can’t take poor understanding from a generally uninvolved news source that seriously.

Again, a lot of this Forest bashing seems personal. Whether or not we like the episodes should be irrelevant. We’ve all read from him and the other Scientists here. He seems like a cool guy. I really don’t think he’d intentionally take credit for managing Know Your Meme.

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:52AM EST

Verbose wrote:

I’ll follow Random 21’s lead. We do a small part to help the staff with documentation and the upkeep of the site, so we know how much work they have to do. Documentation is fun for us and it’s strictly voluntary. It’s fun for them too, I’m sure, but it’s their livelihood. They provide a unique service to the world, actually (or at least provide that service in a unique way.) When people you know and like aren’t properly acknowledged, you take offense to it.

However, I’m not even sure if Forest even knows about the introduction to the article. I’d hope that he’s in touch with the staff (even if he’s not with us in the forum. He doesn’t owe us anything, really.)

But if I could predict what he’d say, it’d be along the lines of not knowing that WSJ would have that introduction. He didn’t read the article/this thread, so he knew nothing of the introduction. At worst, he learned of the introduction at some point and will talk about it with WSJ or the staff some time soon.

At the very worst, he didn’t see it as a big deal, because we know that the staff does a great portion of the research and upkeep of KYM. We can’t take poor understanding from a generally uninvolved news source that seriously.

Again, a lot of this Forest bashing seems personal. Whether or not we like the episodes should be irrelevant. We’ve all read from him and the other Scientists here. He seems like a cool guy. I really don’t think he’d intentionally take credit for managing Know Your Meme.

I already asked if they would request the WSJ to change the error. Apparently there are some issues surrounding this. The reasons are unknown to me and most likely won’t be given as well (bit too high up).

If I have to guess though, it’s related to his “position” in the “reality” show (class president), seeing how the article centers around Forest’s role in there. I can at least confirm through this that both Cheez and KYM know about the error. Brad is most likely unhappy from what I heard, seeing how Forest is apparently higher than him in KYM.

Really Verbose (and Random 21), I respect that you defend Forest on this, but if even I know about this, he very most likely does as well (probably can confirm that based on the info above). It’s an article where he’s being interviewed, why would he not read those? So yeah, not having read it is kinda an invalid reason.

That doesn’t take that I’d simply love to read Forest’s comment on this.

Last edited Dec 17, 2012 at 07:14PM EST
Dec 08, 2012 at 08:00AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

I already asked if they would request the WSJ to change the error. Apparently there are some issues surrounding this. The reasons are unknown to me and most likely won’t be given as well (bit too high up).

If I have to guess though, it’s related to his “position” in the “reality” show (class president), seeing how the article centers around Forest’s role in there. I can at least confirm through this that both Cheez and KYM know about the error. Brad is most likely unhappy from what I heard, seeing how Forest is apparently higher than him in KYM.

Really Verbose (and Random 21), I respect that you defend Forest on this, but if even I know about this, he very most likely does as well (probably can confirm that based on the info above). It’s an article where he’s being interviewed, why would he not read those? So yeah, not having read it is kinda an invalid reason.

That doesn’t take that I’d simply love to read Forest’s comment on this.

It’s not that I don’t think Forest did it, it’s that I like confirmation before spewing accusations. If Forest did know, I’ll happily join everyone else in their anger, but I don’t want to go getting angry at what could be an innocent party. I understand that, if Forest does know, he won’t come out and admit it, I doubt anyone would if they knew they’d get grief for it, but it’s nice t remain hopeful.
Also, I feel sorry for the admins who aren’t getting any recognition for their hard work, while Forest does, whether he knew about it or not.

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:27AM EST

Philip J. Fry wrote:

I miss Jamie, Ellie and Yatta’s episodes.

Everyone misses them. Especially Jamie.

Dec 08, 2012 at 06:18PM EST

>article available to WSJ subscribers

That doesn’t include me I guess. Honestly, it seems like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions and making bandwagon accusations.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:46AM EST

Pseudogenesis wrote:

>article available to WSJ subscribers

That doesn’t include me I guess. Honestly, it seems like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions and making bandwagon accusations.

I’m offended that you think my accusation that WSJ is secretly run by 4chan is “jumping to conclusions.”

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:41PM EST

Cale wrote:

Who’s Forest.

>mfw nobody realizes you’re joking.

Still though if Forest is this site’s manager am I like this site’s service provider?

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:01PM EST

Jack Candle wrote:

What if the author of the article is actually Forest’s fangirl?

Ever since he became a star he does get tons of fangirls and fanboys wanting his Le Dick

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:22AM EST

MDFification wrote:

>mfw nobody realizes you’re joking.

Still though if Forest is this site’s manager am I like this site’s service provider?

I guess I’m the team mascot’s spokesman.

HAIL GROTAN
Dec 10, 2012 at 01:40PM EST

I thought it was common knowledge that getting facts straight is virtually unheard of in the journalism industry. There are too many examples of this for me to cite any. That, and I’m far too lazy to.

That said, I would not be surprised if this never gets corrected. And the admins have every right to be mad about some ass stealing the credit they deserve for the site.

I looked into it: Amanda B, Don and Brad have 42,382 combined total edits. Gibson has 0 total edits. Is anybody else seeing this?

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:44PM EST

Hey everyone,

Let me clear up some of the confusion.

1. I didn’t say anything about being manager of KYM in any way. Considering the state of journalism and the fact that I wasn’t in direct contact with the author of the article outside of the interview itself (my PR person from LOLWrok was) I had little ability to have them correct the article. I believe that credit should be given where credit is due.

2. I do literally have 0 edits on the site. This is because running the site is not my job. However, many of you are amazing contributors who play a significant role in making this such a wonderful place without being paid a cent. I really respect that. Why don’t I do more to contribute to the community? Well, first off, being the Executive Producer and Host of the KYM videos is a lot of work in itself. Second, and more importantly… I don’t really feel all that welcome here. I work hard, and do my best to fill some very large shoes left behind by the original KYM cast. However, from the very start, (and obviously still to today) I can’t create a single video or even be mentioned in a forum post without someone saying how much they miss the original cast and that I am nothing compared to them. So my approach has been to quietly work hard at making the best videos I can for the community, and avoid reading comments since they only make it worse.

3. I have had a chance to meet some of the original cast and they are all amazing people. I am honestly one of their biggest fans (it is why I wanted to do this in the first place). However, they are no longer involved in KYM and it is extremely unlikely that they ever will (although I have fought for some guest appearances). They have all moved on to bigger and better things. I personally love working on the KYM videos and the opportunities it has opened up for me. But, if this continues to be a toxic community towards me, then I will never be more inclined to actively participate.

Hope this clears everything up. Thanks Random21 for reaching out to me about this.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:48PM EST

Sarah "Pikachu" Hiraki wrote:

Also, I am Forest Fangirl. Didn’t you read the article?

Always have to steal my thunder. :P

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:54PM EST

>yfw nobody actually could read the article and jumped on the bandwagon.
Also I’m the site’s service provider.

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:55PM EST

I was born to destroy the class president.
[Class president, btw, you guys, was a name I gave to Forest when I was making fun of him on LOLwork. It’s not like a real thing.]

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:56PM EST

Look what I made for you Forest.

It’s you as a zombie.
Don’t look at the top though (>.>)

And this was when everyone hated you.
(Flashback…)

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:04PM EST

Forest Gibson wrote:

Hey everyone,

1. I didn’t say anything about being manager of KYM in any way. Considering the state of journalism and the fact that I wasn’t in direct contact with the author of the article outside of the interview itself (my PR person from LOLWrok was) I had little ability to have them correct the article. I believe that credit should be given where credit is due.

2. I do literally have 0 edits on the site. This is because running the site is not my job. However, many of you are amazing contributors who play a significant role in making this such a wonderful place without being paid a cent. I really respect that. Why don’t I do more to contribute to the community? Well, first off, being the Executive Producer and Host of the KYM videos is a lot of work in itself. Second, and more importantly… I don’t really feel all that welcome here. I work hard, and do my best to fill some very large shoes left behind by the original KYM cast. However, from the very start, (and obviously still to today) I can’t create a single video or even be mentioned in a forum post without someone saying how much they miss the original cast and that I am nothing compared to them. So my approach has been to quietly work hard at making the best videos I can for the community, and avoid reading comments since they only make it worse.

3. I have had a chance to meet some of the original cast and they are all amazing people. I am honestly one of their biggest fans (it is why I wanted to do this in the first place). However, they are no longer involved in KYM and it is extremely unlikely that they ever will (although I have fought for some guest appearances). They have all moved on to bigger and better things. I personally love working on the KYM videos and the opportunities it has opened up for me. But, if this continues to be a toxic community towards me, then I will never be more inclined to actively participate.

Hope this clears everything up. Thanks Random21 for reaching out to me about this.

Thanks for replying on this Forest (and thanks Random21 who apparently contacted you).

1. Fair enough, seems there were plenty of factors I simply wasn’t aware of. So I’m to blame here for jumping to conclusions. You have my apologies on what I said. Nonetheless, I do request to pay closer attention to this stuff in the future, to avoid situations like this happening again.
  2. Ouch, I can understand how that hurts. Internet culture tends to follow an “oldfag” culture, in which the old days tend to be more loved regardless of anything. KYM certainly has this culture present, knowing how the more older members often end up getting credit and praise they might not always deserve. I never bluntly said how I’ve missed the old staff, it was before my time, but I will give you apologies on it nonetheless. You didn’t deserve all the bad credit you got, and some of it is related to factors you can’t have an influence on, so don’t let it bother you too much.
    1. Trying to be like the old episodes is an impossible goal, as you two are a whole different cast alltogether. But you also never really asked for reviews. Plenty of episodes were met with bad reviews, not by everyone of course, but a bad review is still a bad review. You never really did something with that. You guys could’ve easily made a thread here asking for opinions on the episodes, what you did good and what you need to work on.
    2. The Homestuck episode really did unfixable damage. We can try to avoid facts here, but it was just badly researched. At least 5 mods here could’ve given a better script. So a tip is to simply do better research, it’s really simple. Often the episodes just felt like summaries of the entries. You could easily ask the staff to send a draft to the mods, and we could easily say what’s right and wrong. Input from a third party, especially one like ours, can really help on this.
  3. As I said before, it’ll be impossible to be like them. You don’t have the reputation they have as you’re simply from a whole new crew who didn’t appear until they were long gone already, and in internet culture that means more than it should. But what you also lack, one very important thing, is interaction with KYM and its community. The old staff, besides making the episodes, also was active on KYM. Being interactive with the userbase and involving them is a great way to start building on a better reputation.

I would be lying here if I said people hate you, as we simply don’t. But to be loved, you have to be willing to do some effort yourself as well. Try to interact more with us, involve us (or just the mods for starters) more with the creation of the episodes. And each time one airs, asks for reviews. It’s a small amount of effort on your side, but can make a huge difference.

Hope this helps, and once again my apologies for my rudeness, it was uncalled for on my side. Thank you for taking your time to reply here.

MDF Wrote:

Also I’m the site’s service provider.

And I simply run this crib.

Last edited Dec 17, 2012 at 07:18PM EST
Dec 17, 2012 at 07:08PM EST

If you can provide me a link, I can provide you a positive reply in the future.

Last edited Dec 17, 2012 at 08:02PM EST
Dec 17, 2012 at 08:01PM EST

First, thank you, Random 21. for actually doing something outside of complaining. From those who actively complained to those who sat by and didn’t reach out to Forest. All of the users here are pretty much at fault for not inviting Forest to come by and explain the situation via PM or email (for moderators).

As for the toxic atmosphere towards Forest: Legitimate claim.

Normally, I might say that it was a violation of forum rules, as you are technically a user of KYM, and we are supposed to be friendly. But I guess I didn’t see you (or Sarah) as being “users.” You’re not really administrators of the site, but you are the face (or one of the faces) of KYM with accounts and everything. Perhaps we moderators should keep an eye out for antagonistic bashing and not engage or otherwise enable it. I can think of users who have bashed the episodes without a lick of constructive criticism, and that’s not really friendly towards you.

I think RandomMan’s suggestion about posting more and asking for feedback here is a great idea. You don’t have to post like the forum moderators do, but posting quickly in the Hurt/Heal thread(s) or Pokemon General every once in a while or something can do wonders. Meanwhile, I’ll commit to moderating antagonistic, destructive criticism of your work.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:02PM EST

Verbose wrote:

I think RandomMan’s suggestion about posting more and asking for feedback here is a great idea. You don’t have to post like the forum moderators do, but posting quickly in the Hurt/Heal thread(s) or Pokemon General every once in a while or something can do wonders. Meanwhile, I’ll commit to moderating antagonistic, destructive criticism of your work.

Of course I’m not asking you guys to become active users here, that would be absurd (run Forest run, before it’s too late). Just pop up a bit more, show us you still exist and that you care about the userbase. It’s the little things that can already make a huge difference. Low activity is still more than no activity.

In the meantime, I will make sure you guys don’t get smut thrown at you for no good reason. We have a site rule that asks users to be friendly, perhaps we should apply it to a bit more situations.

Last edited Dec 17, 2012 at 08:28PM EST
Dec 17, 2012 at 08:23PM EST

YAY SO AM I
We can share our pics of Forest with each other

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:34PM EST

Anyway I waited until after Forest posted his explanation to speak my opinion.

Forest is his own person, and does not have to try to be a simple copy of Dubs.
He can do what he wants.

Also he’s just a guy doing his job, and I can’t hold anything against him for that.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:01AM EST

I think most everything I wanted to say to Forest was already said by RandomMan.

But anyways, I would like to see the scientists more active around the website as well. It would personally make this a better and funner place to hang around. n_n

(That, and I can more effectively bug you guys for a Touhou Project Episode. >w>)

Last edited Dec 18, 2012 at 12:24AM EST
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:05AM EST

Why do I feel like there will be an episode of LOLWORK featuring the KYM forums now

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:31AM EST

That would be great
there would be so many cheetos

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:32PM EST

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Internet Scientist post in a thread before. Thank you kindly to Forest for clearing everything up.

I think that it was very frivolous and unfortunate that a handful my fellow users acted with such rancor toward you and your work. It is breaking a forum rule, and although I have no power to do anything about it, I still think it might have been unnecessarily destructive.

I’m all for you Internet Scientists stopping by every now and again and leaving a post or two. There are plenty of users here that would love to see you around the forums (infrequently or otherwise), myself included.

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:17PM EST

Forest Gibson wrote:

Hey everyone,

Forest, as I think someone else said, there’s a sort of oldfag pride that comes up in the site, and as such there is surely some animosity directed towards you that, if anything, should be directed at the old cast for leaving. But it’s not fair to begrudge them moving on in life, nor is it fair to be angry at you for just doing your job as best you can.

As it is, even as one of the older oldfags, while I liked the originals, and also like your new cast (The Pokemon vids were excellent!), in all honesty my favorite KYM episode “era” was when it was you and Kristina. I don’t know why, maybe it was just the coziness of having such a small cast making it cute. Even though I’m not a big fan of MLP, the MLP episode with the two of you is one of my all-time favorites.

The fact that you have zero edits is also no reason to feel hostility towards you. Just because surely nobody from the early staff could have received respect without extensive edits doesn’t mean different people don’t serve the site in different ways. My edit count is surprisingly low to me whenever I look at it, but I tend to think I go for quality over quantity. Your contributions to KYM are definitely high in quality, and I am glad you’re here doing what you’re doing.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:22PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!