Forums / Discussion / General

168,568 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread

Thousands get free DLC; rage ensues

Last posted Dec 13, 2012 at 11:31AM EST. Added Dec 11, 2012 at 12:14AM EST
11 posts from 8 users

So earlier today, Halo 4 got its first DLC map-pack. It was originally to be 800 Microsoft Points (10$), but somewhere from the lines of 343 to Microsoft to the servers, someone goofed up resulting in it being downloadable for free, as countless Xboxers (me included) rushed in for free content.

If you got the Limited Edition of H4, you were going to get it free off the bat, and now since Microsoft’s said it was their fault and that all of the scavengers can keep the maps, the Limited Editioners have flown into a rage for no compensation. Now there are tons of angry hardcore fans wanting to “boycott the game’s multiplayer”, and calling Microsoft “greedy” for no compensation (even though they just gave away thousands in free content and could ban all of the people who downloaded it if they want to). Funny stuff.

tl;dr: Accidentally free DLC compels all of the people who paid for it to go apeshit, and it’s hilarious.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:14AM EST

I am a limited edition owner, so this has affected me.

But I had my share of rushed luck on free content as well in the past, so I see no reason to bother with it. Sometimes I’m lucky, sometimes they are, who cares?

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 10:58AM EST
Dec 11, 2012 at 10:46AM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

RandomMan wrote:

I am a limited edition owner, so this has affected me.

But I had my share of rushed luck on free content as well in the past, so I see no reason to bother with it. Sometimes I’m lucky, sometimes they are, who cares?

“I am a limited edition owner, so this has affected me.”

How, exactly?

I fail to see how someone else getting a DLC pack for free affects you. If it were something to do with something you are getting, or you losing something you already have, then it would affect you, but someone else getting something you already own doesn’t affect you in any way. One paid DLC is not taken away from the owner every time a free copy is obtained by someone else.

tl;dr – Someone else getting free DLC doesn’t affect anyone else but them and the company.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:24PM EST

AdmiralBryman wrote:

“I am a limited edition owner, so this has affected me.”

How, exactly?

I fail to see how someone else getting a DLC pack for free affects you. If it were something to do with something you are getting, or you losing something you already have, then it would affect you, but someone else getting something you already own doesn’t affect you in any way. One paid DLC is not taken away from the owner every time a free copy is obtained by someone else.

tl;dr – Someone else getting free DLC doesn’t affect anyone else but them and the company.

Because he paid extra for the game’s Limited Edition, and this was one of the perks for it.
The fact other people gets it free from others who paid extra would affect whoever paid extra.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:26PM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

So what, because they got it for free, suddenly the people who paid to get it early didn’t actually get it early or free with their game? It seems like a pretty self-entitled way to look at things if you think that. It’s the age old argument among squabbling siblings – “It’s not fair, he got something that I didn’t!”.

If you ask me, other people benefiting should never be treated as someone else being punished. The people who paid extra to get their DLC, got their DLC. That hasn’t changed. Someone else getting for free isn’t going to change that. Anyone who complains about this is just being selfish in my eyes. I didn’t get the DLC free, either by limited edition or error, but am I complaining about how unfair it is that someone else did?

Jeez, people need to learn to stop worrying about what someone else is getting.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:42PM EST

@AdmiralBryman

He paid extra for perks that the regular players don’t get, if the regular players are able to get one of those perks available to them, it’s not exclusive anymore and therefore unfair.

Some care about that, others don’t. You appear to care about caring about it.

But anyway, RandomMan, you have the limited edition of Halo 4?!

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:08PM EST

@AdmiralBryman

What worries me more in this is how you seem to be more bothered by everything than me. For something like this which should literally have no effect on you, you seem severely rustled.

@Quantum Meme

I do indeed. The perk of free map packs would save me money overall if I would plan on buying them later, which was a good reason for the buy. Although that didn’t go as expected, I still didn’t pay much extra for it, so the damage is very minimal.

Last edited Dec 11, 2012 at 05:44PM EST
Dec 11, 2012 at 05:38PM EST

Well of course the damage is minimal, it’s one perk ruined, (Well, not entirely, it’s not like EVERYONE got the maps for free i.e. I didn’t. ) but as you say, it’s still an inconvenience.

For me, I haven’t bought a Halo map pack since the Legendary map pack for Halo 3 and I don’t think I’ll get a map pack for Halo 4 either, unless they make more good maps to forge on, I like that.

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:53PM EST

Must… resist… urge to start console war…

Nah, just kidding. I may be a massive PS3 fanboy, but I understand that each console has its pros and cons. Plus this picture exists

Which makes it all worthwhile.

Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 07:41PM EST
Dec 12, 2012 at 07:36PM EST

AdmiralBryman wrote:

So what, because they got it for free, suddenly the people who paid to get it early didn’t actually get it early or free with their game? It seems like a pretty self-entitled way to look at things if you think that. It’s the age old argument among squabbling siblings – “It’s not fair, he got something that I didn’t!”.

If you ask me, other people benefiting should never be treated as someone else being punished. The people who paid extra to get their DLC, got their DLC. That hasn’t changed. Someone else getting for free isn’t going to change that. Anyone who complains about this is just being selfish in my eyes. I didn’t get the DLC free, either by limited edition or error, but am I complaining about how unfair it is that someone else did?

Jeez, people need to learn to stop worrying about what someone else is getting.

I think it goes without saying that if some people were charged for something others got for free then those people were defrauded.

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:25PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!