Forums / Discussion / General

232,837 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

Websites and their politics

Last posted Dec 15, 2012 at 03:49AM EST. Added Dec 11, 2012 at 12:52PM EST
19 posts from 14 users

It is very possible that I have made this thread in an incorrect section of theses forums. I am pretty new around here as my profile will tell you.

Anyway, certain websites have different politics. For example, users of imageboard such as 4chan and Krautchan are generally quite racist but the average 4chan user is liberal and the average KC user is quite conservative.

Could you post some more examples so that I can use the data to make a nerdy.autistic political map of popular websites?

Remember, "Conservative" and "Liberal" can mean different things in different parts of the world. Since the internet is totally international, that type of term could get confusing.

By 'Murican standards, the internet is ALL liberal. After all, it is a Media.

Serious Business wrote:

Remember, "Conservative" and "Liberal" can mean different things in different parts of the world. Since the internet is totally international, that type of term could get confusing.

Assuming they are used in the literal senses of both words

if your political map/chart was in all good humour for/against both sides equally, I will help you

but reading your activities and comments…I don't think that's your goal

Serious Business wrote:

>implying Fox News isn't a media

Remember when someone posted the political compass quiz in KYM and virtually everyone ended up on the leftist/liberal side? Yea…

It's not surprising to see results like that in most websites actually. Either right wingers don't use the internet or the internet purpetuates and influences more left wing ideologies

🅱ank 🅱ill wrote:

if your political map/chart was in all good humour for/against both sides equally, I will help you

but reading your activities and comments…I don't think that's your goal

aha I assume you mean my pro-Romney spam during election season? I'm actually from Europe and would've voted Obama but some of the comments were beyond hilarious.

iiBradders wrote:

aha I assume you mean my pro-Romney spam during election season? I'm actually from Europe and would've voted Obama but some of the comments were beyond hilarious.

Which country?

Anyway, I wouldn't think that there would be a lot of Europeans that would support a politician like Romney or any Republican. Even though there are parties in Europe such as the FN in France, the BNP in the UK, and the now defunct LAOS in Greece that are similar to Republicans in a social sense, there isn't much of anyone that would support ideas similar to the Republicans on the economy aside of Lech Walesa.

I think I'm deviating a bit.

Websites seem to vary a bit. The more intellectual sides of the internet are often leftist, social liberal bastions. This site not only houses mostly liberal ideas, but the economic policies of its members are often progressive as well. I would say that this site is further left than Reddit in an economic sense, because there are a decent amount of libertarians on Reddit too.

Wikipedia is fairly diverse on the economy, but a solid bastion for social liberalism.

4chan seems to run the full spectrum, but houses a lot of people on the right in regards to social politics. Many other chans are even further to the right, however, 420chan is somewhat of a left bastion on social politics due to the nature of the chan itself.

Anywhere else that you guys think could use an analysis?

-KYM's community is actually pretty evenhanded, and if you blindly support or hate anything here it's not a good idea (even though it's no secret that whoever decides what stuff goes on the front page seems to commonly try to piss off rights.)

-Reddit is pretty liberal, but they seem to not be super radical about everything; there's at least some good debating.

-4Chan doesn't seem to do much politics outside of /pol/, but they've got both sides, even though they don't seem to like Romney much.

-Tumblr is blindly left as crap, and many actually good debates there are rather rare.

-Facebook is a bit equal, but 75% of them have the intelligence of a drunk gorilla when it comes to politics.

-BuzzFeed tries to be at least a little equal by both giving out supporting and declining views of both sides, but they're pretty big on LGBT rights, and come off a bit on the left.

BalisticDerr said:

-Tumblr is blindly left as crap, and many actually good debates there are rather rare.

As a conservative tumblrite, I can confirm this. Election season was like the "Diary of Anne Frank" for me.

By ’Murican standards, the internet is ALL liberal. After all, it is a Media.

Something being a media does not automatically make it liberal. As MDF said, there is Fox News and plenty of other conservative sites, networks, newspapers, etc.
I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when people don't seem to understand what it means to be a liberal and what it means to be a conservative. For instance, going green isn't a thing that only liberals do and it isn't a thing that conservatives hate.

But I'm trailing off. As far as websites go, most of the ones I frequent tend to have more liberal views. I don't know if this is because there are actually more liberals in the places I frequent, or if it's because a lot of liberals feel the need to be more vocal about their views but it's an observation I've made. I prefer places that are politically neutral, because having too much of either side makes me want to stab my eyes out, but I guess I can't really help what political views people in the communities I'm involved in have.

The problem though is that the center line in America has actually been moving right the last few decades. Many conservatives in European nations believe that the Democrat party is actually more conservative with them right now. Because the center line in U.S. politics is farther right currently, the conservative views seem to be very obnoxious, radical, and extreme, which is why it feels like most of the internet tends to be to the left. I bet you if that center line moves somewhat back to the left, many of the sites like reddit would start to be conservative a little (not a lot, but noticeable).

iiBradders wrote:

The American voting system is pretty stupid.

>Make it seem like there are only 2 options
>Make both options almost the same
>Tell Americans it's democracy
>???
>PROFIT

Democratic Republic, actually. Those who believe the US is a true democracy are simply misinformed as to what a republic and a democracy is.

As for it being stupid, most candidates are similar enough when you consider all the different ways of governing, but you have to keep in mind that most Americans aren't on the far side of the political spectrum either.

Even the most conservative person wants a government (i.e., there may be a dislike of big government, but there is little support for anarchy,) and even the most liberal person doesn't want the most intrusive of government (in fact, you'll probably find most social liberals (or socially liberal views) don't want the government too involved with many issues.)

So you could have 12 different parties and platforms, but I would wager only 3 or 4 at the most would get any meaningful amount of votes even if you offered equal opportunities and structure for campaigning for all 12 parties.

I don't think your problem is with the system so much as it is with the American people's approach to what a government should be and how it should govern. That opinion is fine.

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 04:01PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!