Forums / Discussion / General

232,814 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Why are there so many highlighted threads

Last posted Dec 21, 2012 at 10:38PM EST. Added Dec 18, 2012 at 07:17PM EST
17 posts from 13 users

I think maybe there needs to be a different way of highlighting stickied vs. featured threads so we don't get this

Visually, I mean. Just a different color or a lighter gray for the featured threads

Last edited Dec 18, 2012 at 07:19PM EST

Holy crap. Taryn made a thread.

Everyone post in here. It's the chance of a lifetime.

Edit: I would also like to agree with Olivia. Strangely, I was thinking we should use a light blue. I think I'll have to kill RPP before he replaces me one day.

Last edited Dec 18, 2012 at 07:23PM EST

And then the thread was also featured.

Should this be in Site-Related?

As for another consideration, this isn't a common problem. When looking at All of the threads, this sort of thing doesn't happen all that often.

Stickied threads are always going to be at the top anyway, so half of that shot is always the case. To change half of that screenshot is to change the function of Stickies.

The featured threads are mostly AMA's: threads that have been created for mod appreciation week all have been created/bumped in the past couple of days (if not 24 hours.)

I don't see the need for a change, but what do I know?

pug on toast wrote:

As you can see, KYM highlights issues that they agree with. So there's only one issue that the admin/staff does not agree with.

Yet they support ponei, clearly this went wrong somewhere.

I messed around with it for 5 sec in firebug:

I also wonder if maybe threads that are both stickied and featured should be sent to the top of the thread list.

Of course we have an unusual number of featured threads right now because of the AMAs, too.

Verbose wrote:

And then the thread was also featured.

Should this be in Site-Related?

As for another consideration, this isn't a common problem. When looking at All of the threads, this sort of thing doesn't happen all that often.

Stickied threads are always going to be at the top anyway, so half of that shot is always the case. To change half of that screenshot is to change the function of Stickies.

The featured threads are mostly AMA's: threads that have been created for mod appreciation week all have been created/bumped in the past couple of days (if not 24 hours.)

I don't see the need for a change, but what do I know?

But why do we need that many stickies, doesn't that ruin the point of stickies?

Taryn wrote:

But why do we need that many stickies, doesn’t that ruin the point of stickies?

Wonder why I can't directly quote your post?

Anywho, that's a matter of putting a hard number on the amount of stickies you have. The threads were stickied by moderators, because they were deemed to be threads that users needed to be able to get to very quickly. Featured ones are ones that are starred to prevent them from locking, but aren't crucial to the site or community (as I see it.)

So if you take one of the stickies away and feature it instead, then whoever needs to go and find that thread has to search for it. New members (or any user) that doesn't know the title of the thread may have all sorts of trouble searching for a thread that hasn't been bumped in months.

To take your implied suggestion of making less of them stickied, which ones of those do we unsticky?

• New Members thread? New members wouldn't even know there was a New Members thread if it wasn't stickied.
  • New Member questions is also important.
  • Gift Giving thing? I'd probably just feature that. For one, it'll be done with in a month. Second, it serves no purpose to users who aren't involved with it. Third, most of the involvement (or a lot of it) is based on PMs anyway. However, that's something that amanda Stickied herself, and I don't go over staff.
  • NSFW Guidelines? Absolutely crucial to be stickied. Considering that KYM spent a lot of time and effort in making the guidelines, applying them to media, and creating spoilers for them out of James' time, I think it's important that it's very easy to find.
  • FAQ's? It defeats the purpose of a frequently asked questions thread if people can't easily find the answers to these questions.
  • Rules? If there is one thread that should be stickied, then it should be that.
  • Entries to be submitted? Perhaps that could be moved to Site-Related or something or perhaps locked and added to the FAQ thread. But that's a crucial question to have answered as proper entries are the essence of the site. It can stand to have its own thread with its own questions and comments.
  • Glossary? It might also be able to go under FAQ's or merged into an thread of General Knowledge or something.

So at that, I'd only suggest removing the Sticky from one thread, and I could understand removing or merging two more.

I'd suggest over anything else to just wait out the mod appreciation week instead of calling for a change. It's not a crucial problem now, and it's going to go away pretty soon.

Last edited Dec 18, 2012 at 07:59PM EST

Olivia Gulin wrote:

I think maybe there needs to be a different way of highlighting stickied vs. featured threads so we don't get this

Visually, I mean. Just a different color or a lighter gray for the featured threads

Im glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that it would be nice to change the color for sticked vs. featured threads.

Even when mod appreciation week is over, it would be nice to easily see the difference between sticked and featured. (I realize that sticked thread would be on top at any given time – but considering that there are enough featured threads in General, its happens often that we see a featured thread next to a sticked one)

I haven’t gotten around to reading every sticky yet, but I intend to, not necessarily because they could be beneficial to my experience as a member of this community, but because they’re stickied threads. I trust the moderators’ judgment, and know that they would only sticky threads if they were somehow useful. I assume that stickied threads are aimed more at newer users like myself, so I’m going to read them.

As for the discussion about colors that we appear to be having, I’m going to assume that Olivia Gulin is a site administrator. Well, it’s the call of the admins about whether or not something should be done, but here’s my suggestion: I think that there should be some difference in color between stickied and featured threads. Maybe make the stickied threads a darker color so that they immediately draw the attention of the viewer. I don’t know how beneficial the featured threads are to the community, but if they’re not going to be slapped right up there at the top of the page, then I don’t think they’re as crucial, and thus don’t need to be as easy to notice. I’d say make them a lighter gray, so as to indicate that there is some importance to them, but not enough for them to be considered “vital” informative threads.

Also, I decided to become active right at the beginning of Mod Appreciation Week, it seems. As others have pointed out, that explains why there are so many gray-colored threads at the moment. They’ll be gone soon, though.

Taryn wrote:

But why do we need that many stickies, doesn't that ruin the point of stickies?

Perhaps there could be a single stickied "folder" with all of the stickied threads in it. That would still allow easy access while preventing them from crowding the front page.

Lodger (1979) wrote:

Perhaps there could be a single stickied "folder" with all of the stickied threads in it. That would still allow easy access while preventing them from crowding the front page.

Lodger (1979) wrote:

That might be a little bit hard to notice for new members. A newfag might try to find a "New Members Introduce blahblahblah", but they might not see it in "Sticky Folder".

My suggestion? A new forum section for Info and Guidelines.

You know, I've always liked a layout where the pinned threads are clearly divided to the regular threads, that is, a pinned section above and the thread feed below.

To put it visually:

Pinned/stickied threads

Regular Thread feed with featured threads

Last edited Dec 20, 2012 at 03:13AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!