Forums / Discussion / General

232,883 total conversations in 7,786 threads

+ New Thread

Album of the Year thread

Last posted Dec 19, 2012 at 09:08PM EST. Added Dec 18, 2012 at 09:33PM EST
10 posts from 9 users

Hey guys, with the year coming to a close and the vast majority of album releases done, I'd like to ask you what your favorite albums of the year are.

Give your top 3 to 5 albums of the year and tell us a little about them and why you like them so much, give a little bit of description or a link to a song on youtube if you so desire so others can see what it's like.

I'll start off with my three favorite albums this year and later go into my favorites of specific genres.

First, we have the album RAP Music by Killer Mike.

This album is throwback rap in style, content, and lyrics, based around the concept of Rebellious African People. This album is a no holds barred celebration of the best of 90s hiphop, with Killer Mike acting as a modern day Ice Cube, this album is incredibly amazing from both a rapping viewpoint with Killer Mike showing off his verbal chops and social rap conciousness, while being paired with the incredible production of El-P, one of the more forward thinking rapper-producers in the hiphop industry today. This is an essential album for any hiphop fan to listen to, and a great throwback for any fans of the golden age of hiphop. The entire album can be listened to here.

My second album of the year is easily Cancer 4 Cure by El-P.

This album is so incredible. El-P is a rapper/producer, known for incredibly intricate lyrics and futuristic production, and his mastery over all elements of his music is immediately apparent on this album. This album uses elements of dystopian futures with its unique beats to make a totally one of a kind album. The features on this album, ranging from Despot, Mr Muthafucking eXquire, Killer Mike, and Danny Brown fill out this roster as one of the most talented groups of people on a record this year. I love this album because the lyrics are incredibly well written and the beats which are made specifically so they can be enjoyed without any rapping over them are so well made.

My third album of the year would have the be The Money Store by Death Grips

This album is the least conventional of my top albums this year, coming from the experimental rap trio consisting of MC Ride, Flatlander, and Zach Hill. This album creates an aesthetic mix of industrial sounds, electronic music, and hip hop that has never been created before along with a visual aesthetic unlike anything else in popular music. They're one of the most interesting groups of musicians in the music scene at the moment, both creating and perfecting a new sound. The beats and rapping have so much aggression that they're incredibly gratifying to listen to once you become used to the aesthetic. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who wants to expand their music horizons. This is in my top three albums of the year, like the other two, because they bring something new to the table while still managing to be incredibly relevant and making excellent music.

So guys, what are your favorites? A description as long as mine are is not necessary. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys listened to this year.

This might be a bad time to say that I have a special place in my heart that carries my hatred for Rap, Country, and Pop music. Muse and Coldplay are pretty swell, though.

Last edited Dec 18, 2012 at 10:03PM EST

In no order, here are some albums I enjoyed for 2012

Deftones – Koi No Yokan
Lamb of God – Resolution
Linkin Park – Living Things
Muse – The 2nd Law
Nas – Life is Good
Slash – Apocalyptic Love
Soundgarden – King Animal
Stone Sour – House of Gold and Bones, Part I

I am still giving several other releases from 2012 additional listens before I make my decision. I do have to admit that I got incredibly bored of all forms of rock because I felt I listened to too much rock.

I been waiting for this shit.

1. Shields, by Grizzly Bear

2. Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!, by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

3. channel ORANGE, by Frank Ocean

4. Swing Lo Magellan, by Dirty Projectors

5. good kid, m.A.A.d. city, by Kendrick Lamar

Honorable Mentions

Heaven, by the Walkmen

ultraísta, by Ultraísta

These are the best albums I listened to this year. I intend on listening to much more excellent music as the year comes to an end, but this is, for all intents and purposes, my final AOTY list for 2012. I might tell you all why I chose these if I come up with the energy to write something, but that is for later.

Last edited Dec 18, 2012 at 09:57PM EST

Hmm, for me I guess my favorite albums for this year are BSE – From the Shadows and Concord Dawn – Air Chrysalis.

The latter was given out for free so that have influenced my decision a bit.

Can't think of any others

There's only one full album that I appreciated this year:

Didn't have as much interesting tracks as For Your Entertainment, but it still had some really great ones. The title track is great with its foot stomping chorus, "Never Close Our Eyes" has a great dramatic feel to it, "Kickin In" has a pulse driving beat, "Broken English" is really powerful, but the best track on here is "Shady" which has an incredibly catchy chorus and overall feel awesome sound to it.

My Pop Album of the Year would have to be The Other Side of Tomorrow by the Slakadeliqs

This is an alternative pop album that goes through a variety of sounds throughout the albums length, touching on indie rock, R&B, and even some Caribbean music.

The sheer variety of songs and aesthetics on the album, each being executed well makes this album worth checking out if you want some light happy music to listen to. Best enjoyed on a sunny day.

Can be listened to on their Bandcamp page

Runner Up: 151a by Kishi Bashi

This is a baroque pop release by the violinist for the band of Montreal. This is bright, poppy, and has a beautiful orchestral sound that is made up of Ishibashi's singing, his violin (which makes up the majority of sounds on the album, but pitch shifted), and a bouncing beat.

The songs range from the upbeat Bright Whites to the slower I am the Antichrist to You, and everywhere in between.

While not making a totally new aesthetic, drawing from a lot of the conventions of baroque pop, Kishi Bashi makes an absolutely beautiful album to listen to and sing along to. This short album is worth checking out for anyone who loves a beautiful pop song.

Can be listened to on his Bandcamp page

TBH, I really didn't listen to many new albums this year, and what I heard I wasn't too fond of. Here are some of the most notable things I can recall enjoying though.

Interludes After Midnight by Blockhead

Discovered this only in the last month of the year, and how lucky it was I did. Probably my fav album of the year, it was something I've been looking forward to for a long time: a awesome instrumental hip hop/trip hop album. Really great beats, samples and sounds, it was everything I could want out of a trip-hop album. And it only features one annoying "let's have some guy sing over the awesome instrumental beats" song on it! Which with trip-hop nowadays is getting increasingly rare (RJD2 WHY)

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do by Fiona Apple

Life is Good by Nas

Possibly agree with Abra on El-P too.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!