Forums / Discussion / General

232,636 total conversations in 7,777 threads

+ New Thread

Katawa Shoujo: Get Ready to Feel Again

Last posted Jan 25, 2013 at 05:20PM EST. Added Dec 20, 2012 at 04:13AM EST
92 posts from 30 users

Now, first off, I'd like to apologize for making an anniversary thread, but KS turns 1 in just a few weeks (January 4th, to be precise). Chris and I had the idea of replaying it in honor of its birthday, and we invite you to join us in replaying it, or play it for the first time if you've never actually tried it.

The official site.

Our article on the game.

I encourage everyone to play it sometime over the next few weeks, as it's something unlike every other visual novel. I know what you're thinking, but really. Give it a try.

This reminds me, I better get onto finishing the Shizune storyline. I've read through all the others so I may as well see it through

In honor of the anniversary let us now argue over which girl is best

I vote Lilly! She has CLASS!

>tfw going to replay best girl's route

But seriously, I think this is going to be a fun idea. I absolutely loved it when playing through through the routes last year, and I think I will a second time. The music in it is just so great, even if I already know what's going to happen I think it's going to carry me through.

Btw, favorite KS song?

Yes, I knew it would be a year since it came out, but I only played it about half a year after it came out.

I'm not sure If I can take replaying it; the only bits I haven't done are Hanako's and Emi's bad endings…. I don't want to go through that.

But I'll try and do something.

^That's a good idea that I was thinking about doing. However, I don't have the time or people to do so. Hopefully they have people with at least some voice acting skills. Can't wait to see it though.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

This reminds me, I better get onto finishing the Shizune storyline. I've read through all the others so I may as well see it through

In honor of the anniversary let us now argue over which girl is best

I vote Lilly! She has CLASS!

Seconded.

ALSO BACK OFF SHE'S MINE

I swear, trying to get people to try KS out is really damn hard. Second anyone hears "Disability", they avoid it like it's a disease. I've only ever gotten one person successfully play through a whole route, it took some real effort too.

And yes, I shall replay KS in honour of the anniversary. No prizes for guessing who's route I'll go through first.

Those peasants really believe they can claim sweet and precious Lilly. I don't need to claim her, she will come to me out of free will.

Dorito5 wrote:

Guess I'll have Hanako all to myself.

King of NSWF: I think this describes your route
Mod Edit: No depictions of sexual activity.
MDFification: I thought that in external links we permitted it provided it's clearly marked but ok.

Last edited Dec 21, 2012 at 08:23AM EST

Chris wrote:

>tfw going to replay best girl's route

But seriously, I think this is going to be a fun idea. I absolutely loved it when playing through through the routes last year, and I think I will a second time. The music in it is just so great, even if I already know what's going to happen I think it's going to carry me through.

Btw, favorite KS song?

Saint Wsxdas:

Emi is best route.

Emi wrote:

You can probably tell I’ve already played it a few times

My Niggas

Last edited Dec 21, 2012 at 01:48AM EST

Emi used to be my favorite. After all, I landed in her route first and she's is without a doubt the cutest of all characters

But after I played the Lilly route, I changed my mind.

Lilly is such a modest and humble gentlewoman with loads of passion for her peers and I find that more appealing than Emi's high-yield energy and competitiveness (and arrogance)

The other girls are nice too but Hanako is too timid, Rin is too enigmatic and Shizune is too totalitarian. Lilly is just right by being polite, responsible, mature, well-mannered, well-endowed, empathetic, passionate, classy and considering she can't see how she dresses, she has a good fashion sense.

But Emi still has one thing over Lilly: her Mom is so damn hot.

Last edited Dec 21, 2012 at 02:13AM EST

All these people who think Lilly is the best…

Rin is best girl, because artsy girls are the beeeeeest~

Also, to answer Chris' question, I can't think of a definite favorite, but Air Guitar is definitely up there. The soundtrack is amazing, so it's kinda hard to just pick one song, y'know?

Twenty-One wrote:

Actually, there are a couple of fans of the game who are planning to voice act the whole game, and make it one of those interactive youtube games (I only know this because an anime reviewer I watch has a part in it). Here's the youtube channel.

Lemme guess, JesuOtaku right? This is a pleasant surprise; I'm one of the members of Katawa Seiyu. I don't mean this to be a shameless plug, especially considering that I've already mentioned it on the article, but we'll be posting our "Meet Hisao!" cast reveal video on the 1 year anniversary. Stay tuned!

Dorito5 wrote:

Did anyone else remember to play yesterday? Thanks to Pseudogenesis I remembered to play a bit, not long, but enough I think.

I had to wait until today to play, actually. I was at a wedding.

I'm gonna get those feels again, guys.

@All the Lilly Lovers: DOGGONE IT I WILL FIGHT YOU ALL FOR HER

@Patrick: Whoever wrote the plot for Rin made it feel like they were trying to make her as artsy and mysterious as possible without actually knowing what being artsy is like. There's an abstract feel to art that's based off of motivation rather than composition, certainly, but Rin just feels not all there, and the things she says don't make any sense.

@Anyone who likes Shizune best: If anyone would like to join me, I'm actually teaching myself Japanese Sign Language. For me, it's because I'd like to be able to speak with the deaf when I go to Japan if necessary, but I imagine it can be fun to learn, too. This is the website I'm currently using.

Last edited Jan 08, 2013 at 01:18PM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

@All the Lilly Lovers: DOGGONE IT I WILL FIGHT YOU ALL FOR HER

@Patrick: Whoever wrote the plot for Rin made it feel like they were trying to make her as artsy and mysterious as possible without actually knowing what being artsy is like. There's an abstract feel to art that's based off of motivation rather than composition, certainly, but Rin just feels not all there, and the things she says don't make any sense.

@Anyone who likes Shizune best: If anyone would like to join me, I'm actually teaching myself Japanese Sign Language. For me, it's because I'd like to be able to speak with the deaf when I go to Japan if necessary, but I imagine it can be fun to learn, too. This is the website I'm currently using.

I dunno, Brawler, Rin could just be weird and also artsy, as opposed to her artsy-ness making her weird. I always liked talking to her, really, It was fun to try and follow her train of thought. She might not be "all there," but I don't think that really detracts from her character the way she's presented.

Interesting that you propose learning Japanese sign language. I'm going through Shizune's route at the moment, just because she was the girl I really had no attraction to the first time I played, and I figured I might as well see what happens. (I actually ended up liking her more, though I still think she needs to lay off Lilly…)

I digress, though. Does learning Japanese sign language require previous knowledge of Japanese itself? Because I might be interested in learning how to sign, but not if I have to learn two languages right on top of one another.

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

I dunno, Brawler, Rin could just be weird and also artsy, as opposed to her artsy-ness making her weird. I always liked talking to her, really, It was fun to try and follow her train of thought. She might not be "all there," but I don't think that really detracts from her character the way she's presented.

Interesting that you propose learning Japanese sign language. I'm going through Shizune's route at the moment, just because she was the girl I really had no attraction to the first time I played, and I figured I might as well see what happens. (I actually ended up liking her more, though I still think she needs to lay off Lilly…)

I digress, though. Does learning Japanese sign language require previous knowledge of Japanese itself? Because I might be interested in learning how to sign, but not if I have to learn two languages right on top of one another.

I would think it would, considering you'd have to know something about Japanese to be able to sign it, but I suppose by all standards that it's completely possible to learn a sign language without learning the source language.

As for Rin, that would hold a lot of merit, but I always felt like her weirdness was portrayed the strongest when it was being fueled artistically. If you go back and play Rin's plot, I feel like you'll notice things are fine until she gets artsy, and then it all just goes out the window. Obviously, my opinions are subjective, but to me, Rin's plot is the most poorly written out of the five.

@Anyone who likes Shizune best: If anyone would like to join me, I’m actually teaching myself Japanese Sign Language. For me, it’s because I’d like to be able to speak with the deaf when I go to Japan if necessary, but I imagine it can be fun to learn, too. This is the website I’m currently using.

Why would you pick JSL? Blegh. I've started teaching myself ASL since I finished KS, but at least I have some chance of using that eventually. I suppose it's more about learning the language itself than the utility of it for something as obscureish as sign language. It offers an interesting philosophical paradigm that most other languages don't have.

Speaking of which, as a more extreme example of that my friend's convinced me to try and learn a minimalist language with only about 150 words called Toki Pona. He's said it's very interesting to be forced to think so simplistically.

Teh Brawler wrote:

I would think it would, considering you'd have to know something about Japanese to be able to sign it, but I suppose by all standards that it's completely possible to learn a sign language without learning the source language.

As for Rin, that would hold a lot of merit, but I always felt like her weirdness was portrayed the strongest when it was being fueled artistically. If you go back and play Rin's plot, I feel like you'll notice things are fine until she gets artsy, and then it all just goes out the window. Obviously, my opinions are subjective, but to me, Rin's plot is the most poorly written out of the five.

Maybe I'll give it a shot, but it sounds like not knowing Japanese is gonna make this freaking impossible. Frankly I'd rather learn ASL, since I'd have more use (probably) for it. It seems like any signs would have to be understood in Japanese and translated into English for my sake, which could be very frustrating for all involved. Do you think it's possible at all?

Also, I should probably confess that I didn't ever pursue Rin's route, so you've almost certainly got a better grasp on her than I do. I thought Rin was a neat character, but I was only ever interested in a platonic relationship between she and Hisao.

Edit: Pseudo, that is a very interesting concept for a language. Do you know any of it?

Last edited Jan 08, 2013 at 08:24PM EST

Reticent wrote:

@Anyone who likes Shizune best: If anyone would like to join me, I’m actually teaching myself Japanese Sign Language. For me, it’s because I’d like to be able to speak with the deaf when I go to Japan if necessary, but I imagine it can be fun to learn, too. This is the website I’m currently using.

Why would you pick JSL? Blegh. I've started teaching myself ASL since I finished KS, but at least I have some chance of using that eventually. I suppose it's more about learning the language itself than the utility of it for something as obscureish as sign language. It offers an interesting philosophical paradigm that most other languages don't have.

Speaking of which, as a more extreme example of that my friend's convinced me to try and learn a minimalist language with only about 150 words called Toki Pona. He's said it's very interesting to be forced to think so simplistically.

I picked JSL because I actually plan on spending most of my adult life living in Japan.

EDIT: Holy Toledo Toki Pona is fantastic. I'm definitely going to learn that, as well.

Last edited Jan 08, 2013 at 08:51PM EST

Maybe I'll give it a shot, but it sounds like not knowing Japanese is gonna make this freaking impossible. Frankly I'd rather learn ASL, since I'd have more use (probably) for it. It seems like any signs would have to be understood in Japanese and translated into English for my sake, which could be very frustrating for all involved. Do you think it's possible at all?

Also, I should probably confess that I didn't ever pursue Rin's route, so you've almost certainly got a better grasp on her than I do. I thought Rin was a neat character, but I was only ever interested in a platonic relationship between she and Hisao.

Edit: Pseudo, that is a very interesting concept for a language. Do you know any of it?

Oh, yes, Rin's platonic relationship with Hisao is much more gratifying than her romantic one, in my mind. Same with Hanako, actually.

@ Mack I know the word "pona". :S I've been busy since mt friend introduced me to the language.

@ Brawler Ah, that makes sense. And yeah, the language is very interesting. I'm gonna take a shot at it during spring vacation/summer/the end of the year though, because, ironically, school's keeping me too busy to pursue any extracurricular learning. I knew I should've just gone with my gut and succumbed to senioritis when I was making my schedule.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 07:58AM EST

Lich wrote:

How to create chaos in a KS thread.

Talk about the best girl.

Shizune is the best girl

Additionally, arguing that Shizune is the best will stir up controversy also.

Wait, did you just…

Why would you pick JSL? Blegh. I’ve started teaching myself ASL since I finished KS, but at least I have some chance of using that eventually.

BSL master race.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 10:58AM EST

So, how different would BSL and ASL be? Both are based on English, but does that mean they're functionally the same, with a sort of "dialect," the same way English varies by region? Or are they totally different?

I must tell you now, even though American English is a variant of English, BSL and ASL are different languages. Just because they both originate from English speaking countries doesn't mean that they will be quite the same. However, some elements are similar.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 05:58PM EST

I've heard that BLS is similar to ASL, but with much more emphasis on facial expressions. I haven't actually looked at the differences, but yeah. When I found out that the sign language used in the US isn't the one used in most English speaking countries I was rather rustled.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!