Forums / Discussion / General

171,303 total conversations in 5,504 threads

+ New Thread

ITT: We post interesting/unique/odd games and mods

Last posted Dec 23, 2012 at 03:32PM EST. Added Dec 22, 2012 at 12:21PM EST
16 posts from 11 users

Title say it all. So, lets begin!

BLIND MONK’S SOCIETY

Mod of Half-life 2. The game has no graphic or visuals what so ever. You play the game by using your hearing senses. It’s really neat if you wanna waste some time.

Link

GANG GARRISON

It’s basically Team Fortress 2, if Team Fortress 2 was a 2-d pixelated platformer.

Link

POKEMON3D

Ever wondered how it the universe of Pokemon would be like from a different perspective? Pokemon3D is recreation of the Pokémon games Gold/Silver with a few new tweaks.

Link

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:21PM EST

Well, every time I’m asked this question, I have to bring up these games:

- BLOCKSUM
It’s a puzzle game where you add together blocks with numbers on them to make a new block with a bigger number. The twist is that in order to clear the blocks, you need to have the number shown on the blocks together in a group of that number. (For example: If you had a block with the number 4 on it, you would need 3 other blocks with the number 4 on it next to it.) Sounds more complicated than it is. Website Here.

- TOKYO JUNGLE
People have always told me that the PS3 has no games. I’m going to change that to it has ONE game. You play as an animal in the post-apocalypse fighting for survival. Also, one of the animals you get to play as is a Pomeranian. More info here.

- KATAMARI DAMACY SERIES
We Love Katamari is still one of my favorite video games of all time. It’s entire basis is on weirdness. In the first game in the series, you play as the Prince of All Cosmos trying to make stars for the sky after your father, The King of All Cosmos, destroyed all the stars in a drunken rage. How do you make them, you ask? You roll up objects into a big sticky ball. Like a snowball, only not made out of snow. And yes, those objects include people, and later, even land-masses. Despite it’s simplicity, it’s devilishly hard. It’s a must-play in my book. More info here.

… I could go on and on about how many weird games I’ve played. My whole philosophy on life is that weird is good. It’s too bad most of the game industry nowadays is focused on FPSes and realistic ideas…

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:44PM EST

KAROSHI SERIES
A platform/puzzle game in which the goal is to die. More info here Older (free) versions here
ELEPHANT GAMES
This is actually a series of different indy flash games:
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: A game where the goal is to get all of the achievements in the game. v1 v2 v3
THIS IS THE ONLY LEVEL: A game where there is only one level. Easy right? Go see for yourself… v1 v2 v3
And a few others I’m too lazy to name.

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 04:54PM EST
Dec 22, 2012 at 04:54PM EST

TROPICO 2: Pirate Cove aka Slave Tycoon
In this game you run a slave plantation on an island in the Caribbean. I am not kidding, that really is what this game is all about. You get a ship full of pirates, send it off to plunder and loot, and it comes back with prisoners. Put them to work farming tobacco, making weapons, and other such things. Export the finished goods for profits. The goal in sandbox mode is to get a sizable population of workers before the local authorities catch on to your kidnapping business and shut you down.

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:07PM EST

CHRISTMAS FUN PACK 2012
A set of Christmas-themed freeware games and other stuff that I threw together, most of it twisted and funny. If the download is too big, I posted links to most of the stuff in a previous thread.

THE DESOLATE HOPE
A walking coffee machine fights computer viruses on a space station in separate platformer and RPG gameplay modes. The game has a good atmosphere and it had me hooked until I beat it.

DUNGEONS OF FAYTE
An action-RPG with elements of Princess Maker and a short playing time, with enough variety to keep you playing again and again. There are four maps and you only have the time to visit three of them in any one play-through.

LA MULANA
An exploration platformer with great atmosphere. Unfortunately, the puzzles get to the point of needing to read the developer’s mind to solve them.

TREASURE ADVENTURE GAME
An excellent indie platformer/exploring game. There is nothing unique about it other than that it is an extraordinarily good game.

HELL FIGHTER
2-D top-down starfighter action with a large number of different ships. You can edit the scenario files to create your own battles.

X-EVIL
A fast-paced ultra-violent platform-based deathmatch developed for the X Window System in the early 1990s and ported to Windows. Imagine if Unreal Tournament were a 2-D game from the 16-bit era.

ADVENTURES IN THE GALAXY OF FANTABULOUS WONDERMENT
An Elite-like trading game with a plot and comedic elements grafted onto it, like how you end an away-team mission by finding a way to kill off your redshirt.

FACTOR X
Top-down run-and-gun action with lots of violence. As a bonus, there are minigame clones of Mario Kart, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid.

INVERSE SHOOTER
A top-down shooter that reverses the role of the player’s fighter and the computer’s base.

STAR CONTROL 2: THE UR-QUAN MASTERS
A space exploration game with Spacewar-style duels and a resource-harvesting minigame.

BARNEYSTEIN 3-D
A mod to Wolfenstein 3-D that changes the enemies into Beavis and Butthead with Barney the purple dinosaur as the final boss. Back when B&B were current and Wolf3D was hot technology, this was the funniest thing ever.

LEMMINGS
This cute puzzle game drove the purchase of sound cards and VGA monitors. If you don’t go for cutesy stuff, you can nuke the little bastards. You will probably need Dosbox to play it.

SCORCHED EARTH
The ultimate version of Pillbox / Gorilla.bas artillery games. You will probably need Dosbox to play it.

PICO’S SCHOOL
Tom Fulp made this game after people blamed the Columbine school shootings on goth culture and violent video games. It hasn’t aged well, but it was funny and topical and it helped launch Newgrounds.

I WANNA BE THE GUY
A masochistic platformer that is designed to kill off the player in as many entertaining ways as possible.

CAVE STORY
Is there anybody here who hasn’t played this yet? Go play it. It’s awesome.

FREECIV
Also known as “Gradewrecker”, this is a freeware clone of Civilization II that has a few usability improvements.

NETHACK
A turn-based dungeon crawl with an extraordinarily complex world as its developers kept adding features. This game was known as “Gradewrecker” before Civilization came around. There is a graphical version called Falcon’s Eye.

For more fun with character-based graphics, check out Bay 12’s Dwarf Fortress and Liberal Crime Squad.

Yes, the last several are extremely popular but they are getting close to 10-20 years old and there’s probably someone here who has never heard of them.

On second thought, about a third of these are probably not unique enough for this thread, but I’ll leave them up anyway since people might still be interested in them.

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 06:06PM EST
Dec 22, 2012 at 05:42PM EST

Magic Pengel is a game where you get to draw up your own characters. The combat is like a watered-down Pokemon game, but the longevity of the game itself is incredible. You can draw pretty much almost anything, which gives it a lot of replay value.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:43PM EST

Off
It’s an indie turn-based RPG made by a French developer Mortis Ghost back in 2003 or so. Fortunately,it has a translation patch now.
I can’t say it has a ground-shattering gameplay,but it has an interesting story and arguably the best battle soundtrack ever:

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 10:56PM EST
Dec 22, 2012 at 10:51PM EST

Myconix wrote:

KAROSHI SERIES
A platform/puzzle game in which the goal is to die. More info here Older (free) versions here
ELEPHANT GAMES
This is actually a series of different indy flash games:
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: A game where the goal is to get all of the achievements in the game. v1 v2 v3
THIS IS THE ONLY LEVEL: A game where there is only one level. Easy right? Go see for yourself… v1 v2 v3
And a few others I’m too lazy to name.

Let me back you up on that last bit. The elephant games are meta-gaming at its finest, made by jmtb02. While he makes lots of great games, found on his site or Armor Games, I think he’s most known for his elephant games. Aside from Achievement Unlocked and This Is The Only Level, there’s also Elephant Quest, Loot! The Game, Obey! The Game and my personal favorites, Elephant Rave and Run Elephant Run. (Featuring a better ending quote by Mark Twain than Mine Craft!)

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:37PM EST

Arlon The Serene (Free Cake) wrote:

Let me back you up on that last bit. The elephant games are meta-gaming at its finest, made by jmtb02. While he makes lots of great games, found on his site or Armor Games, I think he’s most known for his elephant games. Aside from Achievement Unlocked and This Is The Only Level, there’s also Elephant Quest, Loot! The Game, Obey! The Game and my personal favorites, Elephant Rave and Run Elephant Run. (Featuring a better ending quote by Mark Twain than Mine Craft!)

All the animals on the slot machine in AU2 are characters for his other games as well, like the emu and the llama
guy does good work, especially Exit Path and Exit Path 2
As for weird games, I prefer the works of RobotJam
Synapsis, Synapsis 2, Harry Quantum, Legend of the Golden Robot, Cyclomaniacs, Zombooka
Flash devs on Armor Games are great normally

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 02:16AM EST
Dec 23, 2012 at 02:12AM EST

@Warrior Tang

Damn…

Next game,

JOURNEY

I’m sure many of you already have heard this game before but I feel it should be put on here. Journey is a downloable PS3 game where your main objective is to make it to the top of the mountain. Along the way, you’ll be meeting up with people that look exactly like you and will help in your adventure. The game is very artistic and I recommend for anyone who wants to have what feels like a playable movie.

Link to Gamestop

You can also easily find it on PSN.

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:43AM EST

Mexx Android wrote:

@Warrior Tang

Damn…

Next game,

JOURNEY

I’m sure many of you already have heard this game before but I feel it should be put on here. Journey is a downloable PS3 game where your main objective is to make it to the top of the mountain. Along the way, you’ll be meeting up with people that look exactly like you and will help in your adventure. The game is very artistic and I recommend for anyone who wants to have what feels like a playable movie.

Link to Gamestop

You can also easily find it on PSN.

Best feel I’ve ever played, 10/10.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:41AM EST

Pseudogenesis wrote:

Best feel I’ve ever played, 10/10.

Indeed it is! It’s pretty cool how you develop a small relationship and dependency on your partner without even knowing who they are or where they came from.

That’s really unique and pretty powerful, if you ask me.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 04:59AM EST
Dec 23, 2012 at 04:58AM EST

Also, one last game I want to point out

THE STANLEY PARABLE

It’s a HL2 mod that’s an experimental narrative-driven first person game, like what the summary say. I’d be spoiling the game if I told you the story but for all of you who want a good mindfuck (Jesus, that sounds wrong), I highly recommend this game.

Link

Dec 23, 2012 at 06:02AM EST

HOSHI SAGA
A series of flash games in which you find the star in every level.
Link

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:45AM EST

Chokesmurf wrote:

Magic Pengel is a game where you get to draw up your own characters. The combat is like a watered-down Pokemon game, but the longevity of the game itself is incredible. You can draw pretty much almost anything, which gives it a lot of replay value.

Oh hey! I had the sequel to that for a while, Graffiti Kingdom!

That game was sweet! Why did I ever trade it in?

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:06PM EST

SILENT CONVERSATION

A quite inventive and tranquil flash game acting as a straightforward and simple platformer. So what appeal does this game have? The platforming is secondary. The main purpose of the game is to read the literature that the platforms are made of. What is reading but silent conversation?

It’s some beautiful ambient piano music, too. Some of the levels are very worth reading.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 03:33PM EST
Dec 23, 2012 at 03:32PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!