+ New Thread

NFL Playoffs/Super Bowl General

Last posted Feb 04, 2013 at 10:23PM EST. Added Dec 31, 2012 at 11:12AM EST
100 posts from 23 users

chowzburgerz wrote:

San Francisco – 14
Atlanta – 24

Halftime

Now, it looks like neither team is taking control. The recent roughing the passer penalty at the end of the 3rd quarter may be huge though for the Niners.

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:23PM EST

San Francisco – 28
Atlanta – 24

San Francisco will represent the NFC in Super Bowl XLVII.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:03PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

San Francisco – 28
Atlanta – 24

San Francisco will represent the NFC in Super Bowl XLVII.

Feels bad man…I wanted the Seahawks to beat Atlanta last week, and then I wanted Atlanta to beat San Francisco this week.

But the main thing is that the Patriots don’t get there. There was a story for three of the four teams.

Kaepernick being a youngm dynamic quarterback winning a Super Bowl.
Tony Gonzalez getting a ring in his final year.
Ray Lewis leading his team to a championship in his last run.

Patriots don’t have that feel good story.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:14PM EST

Ridley’s injured….that didn’t look good. And this fumble is a gamechanger. If it its ruled a fumble (they will review it), then the Ravens just need to carry the ball down the field into the end zone and we’ll get a Harbowl!

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:08PM EST

Baltimore – 28
New England – 13

Baltimore will represent the AFC in Super Bowl XLVII.

Jan 20, 2013 at 09:48PM EST

Daft Punkjet wrote:

My reaction to the AFC Championship results:

Yeah, same here

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:01PM EST

>MFW my home team chokes in the second half and loses the game

Seriously, I’m not really. At least, not nearly as mad as I was after last year’s Super Bowl.

Oh well, back to lurking.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:05PM EST

DON’T WORRY GUYS I’LL FIELD THIS NEGATIVE KARMA

…I don’t really care who wins the Super Bowl.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:57PM EST

Reminder: The 2013 Pro Bowl is tomorrow.

NFC vs. AFC at 6:00 P.M. Central Time on NBC in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Jan 26, 2013 at 01:54PM EST

Moving the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl was a dumb idea. It used to be the last NFL of the season, so people would watch it for that alone. Now you can skip it because the Super Bowl is coming up. People would watch the Pro Bowl to see the biggest stars play against each other, but now a bunch of them are out because they are on the two teams practicing for the Super Bowl.

(Tang keeps complaining while you’re reading the next post)

Jan 26, 2013 at 02:11PM EST

The Pro Bowl has been really uninteresting for the last few years. They’ve tried everything, including moving it up one week in advance to having it in the same place as the Super Bowl. And the rules had so much restrictions that the play from last year’s pro bowl involved the defenses not even trying.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:58PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

AFC – 35
NFC – 62

Sounds like I didn’t miss much of anything then.

I understand both sides: The NFL doesn’t want to put out an NFL product where no one is really trying. The players don’t want to hurt themselves on an exhibition game with no meaning in regards to the Super Bowl.

But dad gum it, I’d rather watch the skill players play a game of flag football or a 7-7 scrimmage than to watch people in pads not try hard.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:51PM EST

I remember back in the 90s when many Pro Bowls were competitive. One pro bowl had a final score of 23-20 in OT with a special teamer getting an MVP.

Those were the days.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:03PM EST

Do you think Beyonce will do well at the Halftime Show? Will Alicia Keys nail the National Anthem?

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:34AM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Do you think Beyonce will do well at the Halftime Show? Will Alicia Keys nail the National Anthem?

Personally, I think CBS wanting Beyonce is kind of a miss. Usually they get classic musicians to perform, but now they’re running into nipplegate territory with choosing her again. Not to mention it seems like she’s trying to cry out for attention after her last album only had one major hit.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:40PM EST

With the Halftime Show, the problem is that they are relying on either
*Outdated classic rock acts. While some like Prince and Bruce Springsteen did well, others like The Who were not well received.
*Mainstream pop acts (the last 3 years). Specifically the Black Eyed Peas, which was literally one of the worst shows to date.

The rock bands they’ve gotten have been past their heyday (there are still some classic rock bands that are doing well today like AC/DC, but others are outdated and will bore the newcomers). There’s also a slew of rock bands from the late 80s to 90s/early 00s that have been largely ignored, like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse, Soundgarden, just to name a few. The NFL should consider one of these acts (or similar) for the next show.

As for the National Anthem, Alicia Keys should do just fine. Let’s be honest, it can’t be worse than Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler singing the national anthem in last year’s AFC Championship game in Foxboro (try looking it up..I dare you)

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:50PM EST

Reminder: Super Bowl XLVII between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens is tomorrow at 5:30 P.M. central time on CBS.

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:26PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Reminder: Super Bowl XLVII between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens is tomorrow at 5:30 P.M. central time on CBS.

Make me.

My outburst aside, I was going for the Ravens, because Ray Lewis ending his legendary career on top would be a good news story.

But seeing Colin Kaepernick (and his tortoise) have a good interview in New Orleans, I think it might be a good sports story to see him get the Lombardi trophy as well.

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:34PM EST

I’ll root for the Niners, because the West coast is the best coast.

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:40PM EST

@Verbose

More than Ray Lewis, it’s their cornerback Ed Reed who’s finally made it to a Super Bowl after a highly storied career. This is his first Super Bowl and I think winning here would be great for his career….

But then…there’s also 49ers Wide Receiver Randy Moss, who’s also nearing the end of his career. Though he played in one Super Bowl, he still doesn’t have a ring and he probably won’t get a chance better than this one.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:09PM EST

Baltimore – 21
San Francisco – 6

Halftime

Last edited Feb 03, 2013 at 08:00PM EST
Feb 03, 2013 at 07:59PM EST

Looks like Derpy Hooves was manning the lights.

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:00PM EST

Baltimore – 31
San Francisco – 29

4th Quarter

The Twitterverse is hilarious here.

Last edited Feb 03, 2013 at 10:09PM EST
Feb 03, 2013 at 10:09PM EST

Dat comeback. Can you feel it?

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:13PM EST

Baltimore – 34
San Francisco – 31

Congrats to the Baltimore Ravens. Your Super Bowl XLVII Champions.

Last edited Feb 03, 2013 at 10:47PM EST
Feb 03, 2013 at 10:45PM EST

You’re* Super Bowl Champions.

I thought I was going to whip out the same Kornheiser image for the Ravens.

I was also somewhat disappointed that Ray Lewis did not ascend directly into heaven from midfield as rumor had it.

I’ll personally lock the thread once it moves off of the front page of all threads or once it gets off-topic/seems like it’s served its purpose.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:51PM EST

As if millions of voices cried out in agony and happiness.

I hear gunshots outside. I’m so fucking dead. :(

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:51PM EST

Baltimore – 34
San Francisco – 31

Daaaaaaaaaaamn!

Congratulations Baltimore!!!

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:54PM EST

The Ravens may have won, but on that 4th down play by the 49ers, there was “contact” on the play. It could have been called pass interference on the Ravens, effectively giving the 49ers a new set of downs and a likely win.

Though me and my friends suggest that there was contact on both sides so it honestly could have gone either way.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:56PM EST

professorcheese wrote:

dat beyonce

It’s things like that that make me so cynical about the general public’s taste in media.

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:28PM EST

IT’s funny because Beyonce is the actual winner.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:41AM EST

Best ads: The Tide ad or the NFL Deion Sanders/Leon Sandcastle ad.

Most of the ads were forced humor that sucked

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:49AM EST

Best: The Dodge Ram “Farmer” commercial. Chrysler’s really been nailing them lately. I also liked the ones with Amy Poehler for Best Buy and the Oreo ad with the library.

Worst: GoDaddy. Shit was straight fucking creepy yo.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:35AM EST

Best: M&M’s “I’d Do Anything for Love”, Oreos “Silent/Chaotic Library”, Tide “Joe Montana Stain”

Worst: Any ad that was both 2 minutes long and not funny

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:03AM EST

Best: So God Made a Farmer (Dodge), Cookie vs Cream (Oreo), Miracle Joe Montana Stain (Tide), Leon Sandcastle (NFL), and Bitchy Genie (Toyota).

Worst: Smart and Sexy (Go Daddy), Underwear (Calvin Klein), Be Happy (Volkswagon), Old People’s Night Out (Taco Bell), Coronation (Budweiser Black Crown), and Prom Night (Audi).

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:47AM EST

There was a lot of uncalled pass interference by both sides throughout the game. Baltimore legitimately won by outplaying the 49ers for most of the game. Congrats to them.

I will split Best Ad and Funniest Ad into two categories since job #1 of any ad is to promote the product or brand.

Best ad: The Doritos Goat was weird enough to catch the eye and had the product on screen most of the time, so I’ll give it this nod even though it left me with a negative vibe about the product. As a runner-up, the Sodastream ad did a good job of promoting the concept of the product’s purpose but I would not have remembered that it was an ad for Sodastream™ without having read about it.

Funniest ad: The Oreo library, by far. Excellent punchline.

Worst ad: Go Daddy, unsurprisingly.

Last edited Feb 04, 2013 at 09:33PM EST
Feb 04, 2013 at 09:32PM EST

@WarriorTang:

This was supposed to be the Sodastream ad for the Super Bowl, but I think it was blocked because it could “harm” Pepsi’s image during the Super Bowl:

They ended up airing an alternate ad as a result.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:01PM EST

I liked the Oreo one, but the “So god made a farmer” was my favorite. I really loved it as a farmer and a religious person myself.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:23PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!