Forums / Discussion / General

171,268 total conversations in 5,613 threads

+ New Thread

Katawa Seiyu, a group dedicated to voicing Katawa Shoujo, has released their first video.

Last posted Jun 01, 2013 at 07:51AM EDT. Added Jan 04, 2013 at 01:19AM EST
145 posts from 26 users

In honor of the 1-year anniversary of Katawa Shoujo’s release, Katawa Seiyu has uploaded their very first video, which announces who has been casted to play Hisao Nakai. Enjoy!

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:19AM EST

What is this.

This is an American voice.

0/10 Japanese would not follow on Twitter

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:02AM EST

I do believe I’ve seen this video already. A reviewer I watch is a part of it, so she previewed it on her stream.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:12AM EST

Glad to see this, and also, thank you for posting this thread otherwise I would have completely forgotten about this anniversary.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:22AM EST

Very much welcome. It’s a bit hard to believe it was released only a year ago. It’s really spawned a huge following.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:58AM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

What is this.

Is Katawa Shoujo Japanese at all.

(Besides name)

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:34AM EST

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

It’s set in Japan.

Fair enough.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:28PM EST

But, in all seriousness, this looks pretty cool. I’m looking forward to seeing a voiced version.

I do assume that the point of Katawa Seiyu is a voiced version of the game? I can’t seem to find any info on their purpose.

Last edited Jan 04, 2013 at 12:51PM EST
Jan 04, 2013 at 12:49PM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

What is this.

Were you mad that the original game’s text was in English too?

I thought the voice work was pretty good. I really was thrown off by Hisao’s voice, but it grew on me and I think this is a really cool project. I forgot how much I loved Katawa Shojo’s art.

Last edited Jan 04, 2013 at 12:58PM EST
Jan 04, 2013 at 12:58PM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

Were you mad that the original game’s text was in English too?

I thought the voice work was pretty good. I really was thrown off by Hisao’s voice, but it grew on me and I think this is a really cool project. I forgot how much I loved Katawa Shojo’s art.

Don’t be silly, I couldn’t have played the game if that were the case.

Obviously though they have to get native Japanese speakers and treat the text as subtitles or it’s not otaku enough.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:05PM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

Obviously though they have to get native Japanese speakers and treat the text as subtitles or it’s not otaku enough.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:16PM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

>Not Otaku enough

Does a game made by an assembled group of Americans from 4chan have to be super japanese?

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:26PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Only annoying Otaku Purists would complain about good voice acting. n_n;;

Are you sure? Because I think everyone will complain about voice acting if it was as bad as this.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:54PM EST

量子 Meme wrote:

>Not Otaku enough

Does a game made by an assembled group of Americans from 4chan have to be super japanese?

I sincerely hope you realize I’m kidding.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:59PM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

Well of course, you were joking from the start. I just wanted to add that point.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:15PM EST
But, in all seriousness, this looks pretty cool. I’m looking forward to seeing a voiced version.
I do assume that the point of Katawa Seiyu is a voiced version of the game? I can’t seem to find any info on their purpose.

Yes indeed it is. It’ll be a fully voiced and choice-compatible (through annotations) version of KS available of Youtube. I’d be happy to answer any other questions you have about the project, to an extent.

>Not Otaku enough

You’d be surprised. This is one of the most prominent complaints we seem to be getting, the other two being “You’re getting the pronunciation wrong!” and “It doesn’t sound like the voice in my head!” (Funfact: Lots of members of the team speak at least basic Japanese, and have made sure that the pronunciation of the names is as correct as it can be without being a Japanese scholar.)

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:17PM EST

Ann Hiro wrote:

Are you sure? Because I think everyone will complain about voice acting if it was as bad as this.

Please tell me this isn’t real. Please.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:56PM EST

CRAP! Thank you OP, today you were not a faggot!

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:55PM EST

@Ann: Yes they would, but as currently demonstrated the voice acting in this is decent.

Don’t make me throw Crispin Freeman at you.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:03PM EST

I’m unsure how to feel about this. When I read Katawa Shoujo, I imagined how every single character would sound and read each characters dialog in their voice. Their voice being the one I created for them in my mind. I put a lot of careful attention into that.

So hearing other people share how they interpret the voices of characters excites me but when I find they didn’t use the same voice that I invented, I am going to be disappointed. Oh well.

The good news is that I never assigned a voice to Hisao and just used my own for him, so the current voice actor for Hisao works just fine for me.

Never-the-less it’s a great idea and I totally support it, even if the voice actors aren’t Japanese. using American voice actors will probably make the series more approachable to audiences anyway (we are all used to hearing American voice actors)

Also I realize I have been pronouncing Shizune’s name wrong all this time…

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:43PM EST

You’re not alone in pronouncing the names wrong. (I still say He-SAY-Oh in my head) And yeah, hearing a voice other than the one we’ve given to the characters themselves is odd even for us, but this project is for those who want it voiced. If anyone doesn’t like the voices, then I heard 4LS made a lovely text-only version.

Last edited Jan 04, 2013 at 09:20PM EST
Jan 04, 2013 at 09:18PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I’m unsure how to feel about this. When I read Katawa Shoujo, I imagined how every single character would sound and read each characters dialog in their voice. Their voice being the one I created for them in my mind. I put a lot of careful attention into that.

So hearing other people share how they interpret the voices of characters excites me but when I find they didn’t use the same voice that I invented, I am going to be disappointed. Oh well.

The good news is that I never assigned a voice to Hisao and just used my own for him, so the current voice actor for Hisao works just fine for me.

Never-the-less it’s a great idea and I totally support it, even if the voice actors aren’t Japanese. using American voice actors will probably make the series more approachable to audiences anyway (we are all used to hearing American voice actors)

Also I realize I have been pronouncing Shizune’s name wrong all this time…

Don’t worry, that guy is pronouncing the names completely wrong as well…

Last edited Jan 04, 2013 at 10:38PM EST
Jan 04, 2013 at 10:34PM EST

Pseudogenesis wrote:

You’re not alone in pronouncing the names wrong. (I still say He-SAY-Oh in my head) And yeah, hearing a voice other than the one we’ve given to the characters themselves is odd even for us, but this project is for those who want it voiced. If anyone doesn’t like the voices, then I heard 4LS made a lovely text-only version.

This is why I like being a Japanese minor, because I’ve developed a strong enough grasp of syllables to not be freaked out by pronunciation.

Well, unless the pronunciation is inaccurate, but as you have given evidence for, I don’t think that’s going to be an issue here.

Last edited Jan 04, 2013 at 11:47PM EST
Jan 04, 2013 at 11:45PM EST

GoingMenthol wrote:

Please tell me this isn’t real. Please.

I paid money for it.
It was also nonrefundable.
I did not expect how bad it would be.

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:57PM EST

I will have to object to this. I’m not any Japanese expert, but I have been watching anime (usually in it’s original dubbing) for a very long time so I feel that I have a very decent grasp on pronunciation of names and I have to say that the pronunciation of the names (as far as I can remember from the sample we got) were just about how I imagined them being said. Unless you have some proof of how the names are to be pronounced? In which case I would love to see a source and see where I am wrong

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:04AM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I refuse to believe that people actually care how hard their games attempt to emulate a foreign culture.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:12AM EST

(Funfact: Lots of members of the team speak at least basic Japanese, and have made sure that the pronunciation of the names is as correct as it can be without being a Japanese scholar.)

One of the team members is even a linguistics major, so I think it’s safe to say that we’ve got it pretty much correct. The only pronunciation you could really make a fuss about is Rin’s, but within the audience of those who’ve played KS, which is largely American, it’s generally accepted that her name’s pronounced Rin and not Reen. Otherwise the phrase “Rin in a Bin” would make no sense.

That being said, would you really want to hear Lilly’s name pronounced as “Reeree” again and again? Because as far as I know, that’s the strictly Japanese pronunciation.

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:01AM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Crimson Locks wrote:

I will have to object to this. I’m not any Japanese expert, but I have been watching anime (usually in it’s original dubbing) for a very long time so I feel that I have a very decent grasp on pronunciation of names and I have to say that the pronunciation of the names (as far as I can remember from the sample we got) were just about how I imagined them being said. Unless you have some proof of how the names are to be pronounced? In which case I would love to see a source and see where I am wrong

Holy shit, someone who watches anime? Now that’s impressive.

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:54AM EST

Pseudogenesis wrote:

(Funfact: Lots of members of the team speak at least basic Japanese, and have made sure that the pronunciation of the names is as correct as it can be without being a Japanese scholar.)

One of the team members is even a linguistics major, so I think it’s safe to say that we’ve got it pretty much correct. The only pronunciation you could really make a fuss about is Rin’s, but within the audience of those who’ve played KS, which is largely American, it’s generally accepted that her name’s pronounced Rin and not Reen. Otherwise the phrase “Rin in a Bin” would make no sense.

That being said, would you really want to hear Lilly’s name pronounced as “Reeree” again and again? Because as far as I know, that’s the strictly Japanese pronunciation.

>Sheezoonay
>Emmay
>Reenn

Anyway… This

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:09AM EST

>Sheezoonay
>Emmay
>Reenn

Anyway… This

Funnily enough, earlier today I was wondering if anybody made a flash version of KS on Newgrounds…

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:40AM EST

Taryn wrote:

Holy shit, someone who watches anime? Now that’s impressive.

Nobody’s impressed by your sarcasm. I’m sure you feel very smart and superior, but let’s try not to be an asshole next time, mmkay?

Last edited Jan 05, 2013 at 10:11AM EST
Jan 05, 2013 at 10:11AM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

Nobody’s impressed by your sarcasm. I’m sure you feel very smart and superior, but let’s try not to be an asshole next time, mmkay?

I was impressed. I mean I literally ejaculated and shat myself at the same time.

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:07PM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

No shit, why would someone be impressed by sarcasm? There is no skill in sarcasm, my demoralization is nothing to look up to.

Your skills at being a weeaboo, however, astound me. The mere fact that you have watched undubbed animaymay has ascended you from a commenter with no argument to a demi-god of pronunciation in the form of Japanese wording and culture. Your post truly highlights that of what a person will go through just to learn, in the form of multimedia and using two common senses. Japanese is truly a memory game that can only be learned in the form of watching one type of media.

Damn son, you blow me away. I’m guessing you are skilled in Gorilla Warfare as well?

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:16PM EST

>Sheezoonay
>Emmay
>Reenn

Anyway… This

Ehmee*

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:22PM EST

Taryn wrote:

No shit, why would someone be impressed by sarcasm? There is no skill in sarcasm, my demoralization is nothing to look up to.

Your skills at being a weeaboo, however, astound me. The mere fact that you have watched undubbed animaymay has ascended you from a commenter with no argument to a demi-god of pronunciation in the form of Japanese wording and culture. Your post truly highlights that of what a person will go through just to learn, in the form of multimedia and using two common senses. Japanese is truly a memory game that can only be learned in the form of watching one type of media.

Damn son, you blow me away. I’m guessing you are skilled in Gorilla Warfare as well?

We should get back on the topic of KS now…

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:38PM EST

the voice of Hisao seems pretty good, but it will still take a while for me to get used to the voice acting.

i think the real challenge is getting a good voice for Misha

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:32PM EST

GoingMenthol wrote:

the voice of Hisao seems pretty good, but it will still take a while for me to get used to the voice acting.

i think the real challenge is getting a good voice for Misha

Our Misha is good, but it probably won’t sound like what you expect. None of these will, but a bit moreso for her, I think, specifically because she’s such a boisterous character and everyone has a different interpretation.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:24PM EST

Pseudogenesis wrote:

Our Misha is good, but it probably won’t sound like what you expect. None of these will, but a bit moreso for her, I think, specifically because she’s such a boisterous character and everyone has a different interpretation.

Your Misha’s good, eh? It’s obviously Hope voicing her then (In-joke from her stream). Other than that, I can’t wait to see how the other characters are voiced, it Hisao is good at the least.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:39PM EST

I’m getting more excited about this. I’m going to have to wait till you have all the Hanako route done to watch these. But I’ll see, maybe I’ll be able to do all of them if the acting is good.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:09PM EST

I haven’t been able to hear all of who’s been casted and we haven’t casted a few Act-2 characters, but from everything I’ve heard, the acting is pretty awesome. Also note: I’m 85% sure that we’re releasing each individual act complete and not episodically, so you won’t have to hold yourself in check while the videos are being uploaded. :p

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:54AM EST

>reading thread again
>reminded of good memories
>start up game for some feels
>load save
>no saves, gone with my old formatted laptop
>left with only memories of the past
>mfw

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:05PM EST

Pseudogenesis wrote:

The Meet Misha trailer is up! Let us know what you think.

Yeah, no, that’s about as close as you can get. While I don’t dislike Hisao’s voice in the slightest, Misha’s voice feels like a much better fit.

I would argue, however, that whoever’s acting should add more emotion in their voices, in both cases. This video feels a bit stilted to me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:26PM EST

Hmm. I don’t know. I know I asked for feedback, but it’s tricky, because everyone has their own idea of how much emotion etc that they should put into it. For instance, my conception of what Misha should sound like is completely different than what’s depicted, so I was worried that it wouldn’t be received well. Seems to be getting a pretty good response, though. I will listen to more feedback though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:29PM EST

Will watch later, patiently waiting for everything else to develop. Guess it will be awhile till we even get the first act in totality. Thanks for the update though!

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18AM EST

What is this Misha doesn’t sound how I thought she would grumble grumble

But seriously, I thought it was interesting to see a scene voice acted out, first the reading, then the voice acting, then the animation!!!

No? Oh, okay.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:02PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!