Forums / Discussion / General

172,674 total conversations in 5,665 threads

+ New Thread

Katawa Seiyu, a group dedicated to voicing Katawa Shoujo, has released their first video.

Last posted Jun 01, 2013 at 07:51AM EDT. Added Jan 04, 2013 at 01:19AM EST
145 posts from 26 users

Teh Brawler wrote:

It’s far too deep for someone of that kind of build to sound natural, it has a dramatic flaire to it that just makes it sound cheesy and fake, and if there were any voice to make me completely unable to trust a person, it would be that one. Sorry, but for a character like the nurse, that voice is a death sentence to me.

I’m still not following you. (I considered letting it go, but then I figured I might as well questions some more for the page get because those are so important.)

• Deep: I’ve always had a very deep voice, even when I was rail-thin in high school (6’4" (193 cm.) and 180 lbs. (82 kg.)) and I don’t think it’s even the height, as I’ve known some very short people with deep voices as well. I think anyone of any build can have just about any voice, but maybe there was something you were thinking of that I was not?
  • Flair[e]: I always got the impression, especially in Emi’s route, that Nurse tends toward the dramatic, not to mention a lot of sarcasm. If anything, I thought it was slightly lacking in dramatic flair.
  • Trust: I’m sure I do it more than I realize, but I don’t think of myself as the type to decide what a person’s character is like based on first impressions, such as facial appearance, physical build, or tone of voice. In the case of voice in particular, I think it may have something to do with my Asperger’s, but I’ve never been good at reading tone of voice in any case. Sometimes I think that’s why I like online interaction with people so much: all the voice and body language cues that confuse me aren’t there, and I can be justified in dealing only with words qua words.
  • Death sentence: Wat?

Brucker wrote:

I’m still not following you. (I considered letting it go, but then I figured I might as well questions some more for the page get because those are so important.)

• Deep: I’ve always had a very deep voice, even when I was rail-thin in high school (6’4" (193 cm.) and 180 lbs. (82 kg.)) and I don’t think it’s even the height, as I’ve known some very short people with deep voices as well. I think anyone of any build can have just about any voice, but maybe there was something you were thinking of that I was not?
  • Flair[e]: I always got the impression, especially in Emi’s route, that Nurse tends toward the dramatic, not to mention a lot of sarcasm. If anything, I thought it was slightly lacking in dramatic flair.
  • Trust: I’m sure I do it more than I realize, but I don’t think of myself as the type to decide what a person’s character is like based on first impressions, such as facial appearance, physical build, or tone of voice. In the case of voice in particular, I think it may have something to do with my Asperger’s, but I’ve never been good at reading tone of voice in any case. Sometimes I think that’s why I like online interaction with people so much: all the voice and body language cues that confuse me aren’t there, and I can be justified in dealing only with words qua words.
  • Death sentence: Wat?

• From a media perspective, characters with lankier frames are given higher voices to make them seem more natural. This isn’t necessarily a physiological accuracy, but it’s supposed to create a sense of proportion that immerses the viewer, since jarring differences in physiological proportion can distract an audience member and rip them out of the story. However, the NIH does have certain evidence, small that it may be, that body type and vocal depth are in fact related.

• The use of tone is a constant process throughout voice acting, and while I’d agree that the nurse has a spunky streak, there’s a difference between using a dramatic tone to accentuate those points and just constantly fluctuating throughout speech, which is what this voice actor does.

• I don’t mean trust in a back alley kind of way, I mean trust in a medical way. Even if the nurse is a bit spontaneous, we’re still supposed to take him seriously as a medical professional, and I can tell you that any man talking like that would make me turn right around and leave. There’s not a hint of professionalism in that voice.

• “Death sentence” is an idiom here; I mean that I can’t take the nurse seriously as a character at all if he has this voice.

No one has to agree with me, and it seems that most people don’t, which is fine. But I’ve listened to his voice multiple times, and I’ve only felt reinforced that I don’t think it’s a good match at all for the character.

Brucker wrote:

That reminds me, I’ve been meaning to ask how you’re planning on handling the sex scenes. Since it’s YouTube, you can’t go all-out of course, but I do tend to think the stories with “Disable adult content” leave a little something wanting, and not just the sex itself. Actually, I played through a lot of the sex scenes with content turned off, and to my surprise, while the actual sex was skipped over, there was still nudity.

So are you going to do the whole thing, but maybe with censor bars over breasts and genitals?

To paraphrase another member of the team: In short, carefully. Youtube has some restrictions on sexual content, and I’ve seen some pretty heated implied sex scenes that have never been taken down, but I think the plan was to obscure the less ‘family-friendly’ areas of the picture with zoom. Don’t quote me on that, though.

Hmmm, Mutou is a little less what I was expecting. I was hoping for a more deeper and fatherly voice.

I was also expecting him to be more direct and confident in giving his instruction and advice…sounding just a little more uneased when trying to connect to a younger generation but still certain of his words. Mutou never struck me as a nervous or awkward person, just a 40 something that cannot relate to teens

But in fairness; the Katawa Seiyu team might be having a bit of trouble securing older voices for the older characters and when you get young voice actors trying to sound a generation older than they are, you cannot really avoid results like that

Hmmm, Mutou is a little less what I was expecting. I was hoping for a more deeper and fatherly voice.

I figured it could have gone either way, but personality-wise, I think the guy nails it. I think the text very frequently indicates Mutou to be a person lacking self-confidence, despite being a really smart guy.

But in fairness; the Katawa Seiyu team might be having a bit of trouble securing older voices for the older characters and when you get young voice actors trying to sound a generation older than they are, you cannot really avoid results like that

I had considered this fact; being 40 may give me an edge in trying to get the Jigoro role if I can ever get my audition put together (assuming it’s not too late). I finally got access to a high-quality microphone, so all I need is to set aside the time for it.

@Brucker
DO IT.

Oh God. That Hisao voice. It’s so, ugh. Not what I expected at all. I mean, the guy’s doing a good job and all, I just expected him to sound… different. Completely runs counter to what I had down in my head.

They better get Rin right.

And why does everyone have to be American?

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

@Brucker
DO IT.

Oh God. That Hisao voice. It’s so, ugh. Not what I expected at all. I mean, the guy’s doing a good job and all, I just expected him to sound… different. Completely runs counter to what I had down in my head.

They better get Rin right.

And why does everyone have to be American?

If everyone were Australian, people would ask why they’re all Australian. If they were all British, people would ask why they’re all British. If they were all Latino, people would ask etc etc ad infinitum. Ya get the idea. According to the channel view demographics, most of the views come from people living in North America, and that likely reflects the majority of the fanbase for KS itself.

And if every character had a different accent, well…

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 08:33PM EST

Reticent wrote:

If everyone were Australian, people would ask why they’re all Australian. If they were all British, people would ask why they’re all British. If they were all Latino, people would ask etc etc ad infinitum. Ya get the idea. According to the channel view demographics, most of the views come from people living in North America, and that likely reflects the majority of the fanbase for KS itself.

And if every character had a different accent, well…

I guess.

What if they did like regional American accents though? I’m assuming that the school they go to draws from all over Japan, and I’m nearly certain there are different Japanese dialects.

Hanako should have like a Texan accent.

It basically ends up being the same thing, so it’s probably best to stick with the typical accent. Although I must say, hearing a “WAHAHA~” attempted in a Southern drawl is an item on my bucket list now.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

I guess.

What if they did like regional American accents though? I’m assuming that the school they go to draws from all over Japan, and I’m nearly certain there are different Japanese dialects.

Hanako should have like a Texan accent.

This is an intriguing idea.

Of course, with Jigoro’s voice I had already been considering whether I could come up with a voice that said “Hawaiian werewolf”… I decided it’s not likely.

Which reminds me of a (tl;dr) question I had about the game that I don’t know if anyone has pondered:

The scene in which this occurs actually starts out with Hisao pondering dialects of Japanese Sign Language. The name of the scene is “Pangrammatic Window”. For those not familiar with the term, just as a “pangram” is a sentence with every letter of the alphabet (The quick, brown fox jumps over the lazy dogs. Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs. Mr. Jock, TV quiz Ph.D., bags few lynx.) a pangrammatic window is a section of text in which every letter of the alphabet occurs. As it happens, the opening line of the scene is:

I’ve been neglecting my sign language studies, so I should probably spend some time studying up on it. Although, I think I’ve learned a lot just by osmosis. I’m very proud of that, and will have to be careful not to brag about it.

This text has 23 of 26 letters in it, and the missing three appear within the next four lines, making Hisao’s internal monologue a pangrammatic window. This is interesting for word game enthusiasts like myself, but why name the scene after this phenomenon? I’d wager there are other scenes in the game that have pangrammatic windows, so why mention it in such manner? Most of the scene names refer to plot, not typography.

P.S. There are of course other pangrammatic windows in the scene, notably the last four lines:

Hisao: [Why do we have to sneak off? Why not just walk off?]
Shizune: [It wouldn’t be as fun.]
Shizune: [It’s decided: it’s a secret mission. Escape without being detected. Extract Hideaki for bonus points.]
Already, she has simplified the situation into a game. Shizune quietly slides away from the scene and begins edging towards the house. I walk towards it, normally.

And I checked the following scene, and found at least three pangrammatic windows in that one, along with the nearly-pangrammatic line

It seems as if she expects me to say more. I remember feeling very panicked when they burst into my room, afraid of what conclusions they would jump to seeing the wall of pills lining the place. I don’t think that Shizune remembers, though.

In other news, I finally got my audition stuff all together and sent it in. I think it was pretty good, but I may be too late, or they may not like it, so I’m not getting my hopes up. It would be a cool thing to be involved in, but it’s not my life’s dream or anything. I’m more interested in hearing the final results, with me a part of it or not.

And for those of you interested in pangrammatic windows, (it’s just me, isn’t it?) the scene right before the above scene contains a surprisingly compact one:

Jigoro: Stop talking. That sounds unspeakably dirty. I have had enough of your filth. How vulgar. Make sure that your statements are not so embarrassingly, carelessly worded next time.
Hisao: What…?
Jigoro: “What?” You are so disrespectful. Amazing. Are all delinquent types like this? Even the way you dress shows flippant disregard for authority. Sweater vest. Disgraceful…

and it’s not just Shizune’s path, of course; I found a few in the scene at Emi’s track meet, the smallest being:

It’s all over in a few seconds, but in those few seconds I feel like I just witnessed something very personal for Emi.
As soon as she crossed the finish line, the fierce look was replaced by her normal grin.
The conquering general returning to his farm.
Hisao: Amazing.
Hisao: She’s really amazing. I’ve never seen anyone move that fast.
Meiko: Well, don’t look at me, I’m far too relaxed to run that fast.
In other news, I finally got my audition stuff all together and sent it in. I think it was pretty good, but I may be too late, or they may not like it, so I’m not getting my hopes up. It would be a cool thing to be involved in, but it’s not my life’s dream or anything. I’m more interested in hearing the final results, with me a part of it or not.

Auditions aren’t open at this time. All the Act 1 characters have been cast, and auditions for Act 2 and beyond characters will be opened at some indiscriminate point in the future. That said, you could just save your audition clip for when the auditions open again. I’ll be sure to post in this thread at the very least when they do, and I’ll likely start a new one someawheres, if that’s alright.

Last edited Mar 01, 2013 at 01:16AM EST

Dorito5 wrote:

Hey guys, Random was nice enough to extend the autolock time on this, so while we were away they put up two new vids.
Enjoy.

I love Emi’s voice. I think it suits her perfectly. It’s hyperactive tone suits her personality.

Nice! I’m liking that they’re using more or less “normal” voices for most of these characters. I’ve gotten the impression that fair number of fans think of so many of the KS characters as having quirky voices, but really, isn’t Rin’s personality quirky enough already?

@Rin’s VA

This pleases me. I always read Rins lines in a low, unexcited, uninterested tone…almost boyish. The exact opposite of Emi’s voice. And I see the VA for Rin has picked up on that too.

I think that’s how it should be, considering her character and general attitude is mostly in that same unexcited and uninterested way

Rin lines were always the most interesting for me to read thanks my impression of her voice, being so contrary and different to the voice of every other female character. She gave me a break from imagining the feminine tones of Misha, Emi and Lilly (which I had a harder time reading in their self-appointed voices)

@Brucker

I always imagined the voices for all characters being ‘believable’ to a degree. At best: An actual voice I know IRL. At worst: Passable as a voice that’s quirky IRL but still not a voice that would be quirky in a cartoon

The only exceptions being Kenji (sounding ridiculously nasal and dorky) and Misha (Sounding like Pinkie Pie on a coffee rush)

As for Rin, I am pretty sure she’s autistic so she’s got a full quirk permit. But I don’t imagine her voice being weird, just tomboyish

@Who am I

I thought that she would be so monotone. It’s a trait that is quite iconic of people who rarely express emotion

Last edited Apr 27, 2013 at 09:42AM EDT

量子 Meme wrote:

Near perfection.

And what’s this? The video is in 3D? AND I have the glasses for it? This just gets better and better!

Weird, I didn’t notice that setting, but I wonder why they would bother with 3D when the source material is 2D. I’m also wondering why the 3D doesn’t seem to work right on my computer; maybe it requires some settings I’m missing?

Brucker wrote:

Weird, I didn’t notice that setting, but I wonder why they would bother with 3D when the source material is 2D. I’m also wondering why the 3D doesn’t seem to work right on my computer; maybe it requires some settings I’m missing?

Something similar happened with me, but I just refreshed the page and that fixed it. I’m not sure what your problem is though.

Still, yes, it may be 3D for a clearly originally 2D setting but it somehow certainly works if you have the glasses for it.

You know, it’s not a bad voice, but something’s…hmm.

I don’t so much have a problem with any of the voices in specific (except Kenji’s to a small extent as I explained before) as I have a problem with the comparison. Emi’s voice is specifically singled out in the game as being high-pitched, which suggests to me that it would be the highest pitched voice of any of the girls. I do like the voice they chose for Emi, and this Hanako voice, but the fact the Emi voice isn’t higher pitched than Hanako? I’m probably being nit-picky, huh?

Hanako is probably the hard one. Expressing “timid, meek and childish” can’t be easy without naturally resorting to soft, high tones. The current pitch doesn’t bother me but that may be because I already imaged Hanako having the higher voice, not Emi.

Yeah, like I said, they’re both great voices, I think my expectations are just a bit too high. Hanako’s tricky anyway since obviously she’s so quiet.

I wonder, does anyone know what sort of range of sample lines they used for some of the characters like Hanako that have a serious shift in tone throughout the story? When I was putting together the Jigoro recording, I realized it was relatively easy because his character doesn’t really evolve with the story, while in contrast, I’d say Hanako’s lines should go through a broad range of delivery styles. A lot of the interaction with her while Lilly is away is perhaps even more subdued than this, and then of course there’s her bad ending, which has completely different delivery.

I’m 97.5% sure that 3D was never mentioned by the rest of the team. I don’t really see the point, to be honest, but if it does something then I guess it doesn’t matter.

I wonder, does anyone know what sort of range of sample lines they used for some of the characters like Hanako that have a serious shift in tone throughout the story?

With the audition lines we tried to get a lot of tonal and chronological variation. Like for Misha for instance, we started with normal happy go lucky lines in a few different places, plus some other kinds of lines, but for the callbacks we made sure to get a reading of the rooftop scene towards the end of Shizune’s route so that we could be sure the actress could handle something more emotionally intense. This was done for pretty much every audition of a major character, as far as I know.

Last edited May 11, 2013 at 03:16PM EDT

Finally got to watch the Hanako video, and I have to say it’s a bit different from what I imagined, but the actual voice acting was better than I expected from that sample. She’s not one of the easier charaters to voice act for.

Here’s to hoping that Lilly has a scottish accent even though she’s not supposed to!

It’s that time again.
This time with the lovely tea drinker.

As Lilly as my personal favorite I quite enjoyed this one.
Nailed the formal side, a bit shaky, although I’m not one to judge all that well. But of course her playful side might loosen that a bit, as I’m hoping. Nonetheless, I can roll with this.

Unless we continue the thread for the prologue, or a start a new one for it, I guess that means that concludes introduction, unless by some chance we get to hear Shizune as well?

SweetAndDelicious wrote:

Unless we continue the thread for the prologue, or a start a new one for it, I guess that means that concludes introduction, unless by some chance we get to hear Shizune as well?

Look at the title of the thread; this discussion was supposed to be about Katawa Seiyuu’s FIRST video, so it’s theoretically been derailed for quite some time. I’m inclined to rename this thread “Katawa Shoujo/Seiyuu General” and let it be open for whatever, especially since I’ve had numerous times I wished we had a KS General anyway.

Anyway, good voice for Lilly, I’d say. Frankly I had a bit of a hard time imagining what she should sound like other than a vague sense that she should sound very classy, and I think the voice actor manages that well. If there’s anything that bothers me, it’s that she talks a bit too slow, but then that may be part of what makes her sound a bit more “proper”, you know?

Well, we may eventually discuss the regular Katawa Saiyuu videos when they come out, but in the meantime, does anyone have any other good KS vids to share? They’re both already uploaded to the entry, and probably most KS fans will have seen them, but these two are terrific:

Also, today I was amused watching a playthrough video. I’ve watched a few before, but I was curious how people who make such videos handle the sex scenes. In this video, everything was normal until a certain point, then there was a small circle covering a detail, then a black bar, then half the screen was blacked out, and finally, several minutes of the video featured a title card reading something like, “PLAY IT YOURSELF, PERVERT!”

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 05:27AM EDT

Dorito5 wrote:

Damn, Lilly didn’t have a scottish accent :(

But it sounds like it’s the same voice actress, so it was pretty good in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Actually, it felt like there was a remnant of a scottish accent in there with the voice, or maybe it’s just me!

Still, I must say that I quite like the voice, its actually perfectly set, if you ask me. However, I will always (because of who I am) will remember her voice as the formal english-accented one in my head.

Last edited Jun 01, 2013 at 07:52AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!