Forums / Discussion / General

171,598 total conversations in 5,627 threads

+ New Thread

Did someone say...

Last posted Jan 16, 2013 at 01:20AM EST. Added Jan 05, 2013 at 05:10PM EST
80 posts from 48 users

I will participate bcoz I said so eh oh eh oh

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:37PM EST

…Maybe the players could get custom titles as prizes and the people that help Captain Blubber out with the game could get titles like “Tikibar Intern”, or something similar to that?

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:40PM EST

All right, so Our Glorious Overlord Blubs gave me the go-ahead to help out. Since I participated in the last one, I can answer any questions you might have.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:01PM EST

Now I’m uncertain that I can fit that amount of things in my schedule with all of this homework.

I don’t know if I should participate now, it’s a 50/50 chance, but the needle is leaning towards the No side. D:

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:13PM EST

I haven’t gotten a PM or anything yet, so I take it Blubber is passing me over in terms of helping out with the game…?

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:21PM EST

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

I haven’t gotten a PM or anything yet, so I take it Blubber is passing me over in terms of helping out with the game…?

Perhaps. You are still relatively new to being active despite having a good reputation. Captain Blubber may hardly know me outside of my name being there in the last game.

But moreso, Philip was very involved in the last game. Blubber knows he’s got experience and knows he’ll commit to it. I know you would as well, but Blubber doesn’t.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:39PM EST

Verbose wrote:

Perhaps. You are still relatively new to being active despite having a good reputation. Captain Blubber may hardly know me outside of my name being there in the last game.

But moreso, Philip was very involved in the last game. Blubber knows he’s got experience and knows he’ll commit to it. I know you would as well, but Blubber doesn’t.

First off, thank you for your kind words.

Secondly, that’s probably correct. I actually was unaware of who Captain Blubber was or what his significance to the site was until I saw that this thread had been posted. From what I gather, he’s one of KYM’s oldest moderators, and he left long before I even started reading entries here, and even longer before I started lurking the forums here. Either he just hasn’t gotten around to sending me a PM yet, or he took the (reasonable) approach you called to light.

Thirdly, if I’m not going to be given the chance to help, then I’ll gladly be a participant in the game. If (and, seemingly, when) this game does start, how will the team captains and other specifics be determined? I would like to think that the team would decide amongst themselves which players would take which roles, or maybe the hosts (Blubber and Philip, at the moment, it appears) decide for the team. The latter option strikes me as being a tad bit unscrupulous, as I think that culpability should come with participation in the game.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:03PM EST

The players on each team can organize themselves however they want. The organizers determine the teams, but beyond that you guys can decide everything else. Team leader/captain, who does what, etc., are all decided upon by the people on that team.

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 09:22PM EST
Jan 07, 2013 at 09:21PM EST

Philip J. Fry wrote:

The players on each team can organize themselves however they want. The organizers determine the teams, but beyond that you guys can decide everything else. Team leader/captain, who does what, etc., are all decided upon by the people on that team.

Alright. Do you guys use a random name generator to organize the teams, or do you pair them off manually? Also, what happens if the number of participants is uneven?

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:25PM EST

um so before everyone gets riled up i need to reiterate that we are even in the planning stages right yet.

philip is helping because he was a bit of a whiner last time. i don’t know how many helpers i need (to be honest probably none, but i’ll probably have some it depends on how many people play)

so yeah, this thread is for showing interest and learning about last time’s event (which we’ll probably be following, but who really knows, not me).

(weird sidenote, I swore i’d never do a cbc again, time sure does change a man)

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 09:42PM EST
Jan 07, 2013 at 09:38PM EST

Captain Blubber wrote:

um so before everyone gets riled up i need to reiterate that we are even in the planning stages right yet.

philip is helping because he was a bit of a whiner last time. i don’t know how many helpers i need (to be honest probably none, but i’ll probably have some it depends on how many people play)

so yeah, this thread is for showing interest and learning about last time’s event (which we’ll probably be following, but who really knows, not me).

Not only that, but you also appear to have made a point to never return to KYM, period. Yeah, times do change alright.

Also, of the two methods I believe are practical for sorting the teams out, which one do you prefer to use?

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 09:43PM EST
Jan 07, 2013 at 09:42PM EST

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

Not only that, but you also appear to have made a point to never return to KYM, period. Yeah, times do change alright.

Also, of the two methods I believe are practical for sorting the teams out, which one do you prefer to use?

Randomly, it’s mad easier. and it’s fair to me becausevyou are all equal in my eyes (equally TRASH)

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:57PM EST

Captain Blubber wrote:

You are probably best off with a minimal amount of co-hosts, and those that help having participated in the last game so they got experience. If you accept everyone, you’ll end up with more than 10 co-hosts. So I’d advice you to decide quickly yourself and also advice to keep it limited to 2 or 3 others (similar to just me and Amanda helping last year).

Randomly, it’s mad easier. and it’s fair to me becausevyou are all equal in my eyes (equally TRASH)

Knowing how this community tends to divide itself, making participants choose would end you up with basically JFF vs. Others. And for something being “community building”, having everyone play with users they already hang out with wouldn’t fit.

So yes, you’re probably best to mix up the players randomly. Just let your co-host(s) or a mod look over the teams afterwards and perhaps mix it up a bit to keep the skills of users fairly divided.

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 10:08PM EST
Jan 07, 2013 at 10:03PM EST

So far, this is looking interesting. Hoping this doesn’t go downhill, even though all it can really do is go downhill.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:04PM EST

My idea for organizing the teams is randomizing them, then analyzing each team and judging the skill level of the members and reorganizing to make sure neither team is way too good or really bad.

This was my main complaint last time, so it’s the biggest aspect that I want to help in.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:42PM EST

Philip J. Fry wrote:

My idea for organizing the teams is randomizing them, then analyzing each team and judging the skill level of the members and reorganizing to make sure neither team is way too good or really bad.

This was my main complaint last time, so it’s the biggest aspect that I want to help in.

That seems perfectly fair, except there are multiple ways to go about defining “skill”.

You could view it in terms of experience. Realistically, a user who has been around for a long time and has participated in multiple community building challenges would likely be a better player than a user who has been around for 25 days and is just now participating in their first game. (For example: me.)

You could view it in terms of talent, on multiple fronts. Some challenges that may require art would probably be better suited to those that host drawing threads and create family photos, for example. Challenges that involve capturing footage of oneself in real life would likely demand that the person doing the challenge be skilled at, or at least capable of, doing whatever it is they are attempting to do. I honestly have no idea what kind of challenges Captain Blubber and his co-host(s) have in store for us players, but I think it a cogent argument to say that different challenges will require different skill sets that different users possess.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:17PM EST

Okay, so is this thing still going on? Just hasn’t received an update, so bumping to see if that helps move this along a bit.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:50PM EST

Doritos wrote:

Okay, so is this thing still going on? Just hasn’t received an update, so bumping to see if that helps move this along a bit.

This thread was to gauge interest only. Any planning that’s going on isn’t for our eyes, so this thread may actually go dead (or even be locked) before anything happens.

Captain Blubber or Philip will tell us when things are getting started. And if things don’t work out, then one of them will tell us that too. To organize as many games as we had last time is no small task, especially with school/work. It might take a minute.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:35PM EST

I don’t suppose it’s too late to volunteer into this? I’d like to give it a try.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:35AM EST

Okay Verb, thanks for the info. Didn’t know if update were to follow here or PMs.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:44AM EST

I haven’t seen Blubs in the past week or so, so I’m still in the dark as to when/if this is going to happen.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:22PM EST

I’m out this time. I loved last year’s contest (and not just because we won; it was fun just to play) but don’t think I can commit to either playing or hosting this time around for various personal reasons. Besides, CBC#5 wouldn’t lend itself to awesomeness like this:

That being said, I didn’t post here just to say “No” because what’s the point of that? I’m posting to offer help to the hosts. I agree with what somebody said about having too many hosts so I wouldn’t go for that anyway, but if there’s something I can do, such as helping with the details of one of the challenges or my usual offer of checking spelling and grammar, let me know.

Oh, and good to see you again, O Captain, My Captain!

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:06PM EST

I think a year is good enough to heal from my embarrassing videos/photos from last year…

>tfw you make a YT account for cbc and then get locked out of it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:53PM EST

BaSedAleX -_- wrote:

I think a year is good enough to heal from my embarrassing videos/photos from last year…

>tfw you make a YT account for cbc and then get locked out of it.

Oooh, you mean all that singing and dancing is on the web forever and ever? This is excellent.

Oh, and I realized I was probably wrong about the victory poster thing; after a quick Google search, I decided that this could be shopped for the victors:

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 04:06PM EST
Jan 15, 2013 at 03:04PM EST

YouTube videos for singing and dancing? Welp, count me out then, I simply refuse to do so, unless I can delete them after the contest and do them without people seeing who I look like.

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 09:33PM EST
Jan 15, 2013 at 09:32PM EST

Doritos wrote:

YouTube videos for singing and dancing? Welp, count me out then, I simply refuse to do so, unless I can delete them after the contest and do them without people seeing who I look like.

You don’t have to do every challenge that’s presented. Most of the time, a challenge only has to be completed once by a single person.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:13PM EST

Yeah, although I have shown my face in numerous other contexts, CBC4 was not one of them. KYM did however get the chance to hear my sexy voice narrate a video on shark sex:

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:20AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!